Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Six Nations General Banter Thread. *Read Mod Warning. Post no.5*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

JustinDee wrote: »
    You asked about Horgan.
    Who did you think would be the equivalent for the tight-head job?

When you build a squad you don't clean house out particularly following up on a unprecedented season. You blend experience with promise. The Aussie cricket team are experts at doing this and given the teams that Dec Kidney has been fielding, I'd say he, his coaches and team manager also know who to select.

yes, my first question was about Horgan, your response led to other questions....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

Barname wrote: »
    yes, my first question was about Horgan, your response led to other questions....

Ok-doke.
    So who is the in-form obvious replacement for John Hayes?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Whose Benjamin Fall? Can't say I've ever heard of him. :o

Young guy playing on the wing for Bayonne. Can cover 15 as well, think Ugo Moyne with a brain. Has done some good things in a struggling team will be interested to see how he goes with more go forward ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

Ok-doke.
    So who is the in-form obvious replacement for John Hayes?

but you said...
    He is building a squad. Not performing damage limitation.
    I guess the plan acc. to you is to have a 38 yo at THP for the WC?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

BoarHunter wrote: »
    the 22 french :

Front row : Thomas Domingo (Clermont), William Servat (Toulouse), Nicolas Mas (Perpignan)
    Second row : Lionel Nallet (Racing Metro), Pascal Pape (Stade Français) third row : Thierry Dusautoir (Toulouse), Fulgence Ouedraogo (Montpellier), Imanol Harinordoquy (Biarritz)
    Scrun half : Morgan Parra (Clermont)
    Fly half :François Trinh-Duc (Montpellier)
    centers : Yannick Jauzion (Toulouse), Mathieu Bastareaud (Stade Français
    wing : 11 Aurelien Rougerie (Clermont), 14 Benjamin Fall (Bayonne),
    Full back :Clement Poitrenaud (Toulouse)

Bench : Dimitri Szarzewski (Stade Français), Luc Ducalcon (Castres), Julien Pierre (Clermont), Julien Bonnaire (Clermont), Jean-Baptiste Elissalde (Toulouse), David Marty (Perpignan), Vincent Clerc (Toulouse).

Surprised to see Clerc on the bench. Should be interesting to see this new guy Fall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Young guy playing on the wing for Bayonne. Can cover 15 as well, think Ugo Moyne with a brain. Has done some good things in a struggling team will be interested to see how he goes with more go forward ball.

Must be some boy to be starting ahead of some of France's wings.

Must be some boy to be starting ahead of some of France's wings.

He's handy alright but Heymans has shown no form and Clerc only slightly more, this season.

Lievremont has a tendancy to favour players from the lesser lights in the T14 sometimes before they're ready. I hope/dont think this wont/will be the case with Fall.

I'd say Boarhunter will some better views on him I've only seen he 3/4 times this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

heymans is not playing well these days ,Clerc is off form and struggling since his injury.

Fall is a bet on the future let's hope he capitalize on this but i guess he will. He is very good in the defensive replacement, physical and quick.

I don't really like the fact that Lievremont picks some players for their ability to cover different positions.

There is no cover for Fly half in this line up. Only Elissalde covers 9 and 10 on the bench. Would have like to see boyet given a chance ...

I am not a Fan of ouedraogo but as the staff says : they want a very mobile 3rd row.... means Picamoles who puts Burger on his back twice last november is out of the list ... and bonnaire on the bench !!!:eek:

Parra is very promissing scrum half and you will see him in the RDS soon against leinster. He will learns loads with Elissalde.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

Barname wrote: »
    but you said...

I guess the plan acc. to you is to have a 38 yo at THP for the WC?

I don't think you get what I pointed out hence the selective quoting.

A replacement for Luke Fitz has been required. The younger of the two names has been selected to start the game in that position ie. Trimble.
    If there is the need for a replacement for John Hayes, who should it be? Are they the better option?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Somewhat of a odd French selection, Mas is a bit of a average prop ditto Servat at hooker. Dimengo however is a class act and is a french version of Healy minus a few inches. Tran Duch though will get them nowhere fast so thank god they have Para to fall back on for kicking and honestly i think the centre pairing is a bit slow, David or Marty not a better option? Roguiere has played how many games on the wing this year? Would of liked for the wild card of Andreu to be given a shot :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

I don't think you get what I pointed out hence the selective quoting.

A replacement for Luke Fitz has been required. The younger of the two names has been selected to start the game in that position ie. Trimble.
    If there is the need for a replacement for John Hayes, who should it be? Are they the better option?

you are spot on it is excellent squad management from kidney! The team have not lost a game in a year, two players are injured 1st game of 6 nations he brings in trimble and mclaughlin two guys guaranteed to fancy their chances at wc next year, horgan and to a lesser extent quinlan might feel they should be there but both these guys could be retired by time wc comes around! Difference between kidney and eos! Kidney has a plan for next year and year after, as part of plan i can see him address the prop situation by giving court and ross game time but he also wants to try win back to back 6 nations so whole scale changes are not an option!

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Beanmachine

Is Picamoles injured?

Is Picamoles injured?

ni. he is just not picked. The staff want a light and fast 3rd row. ouedraogo wouldn't have been my pick though.

If i had the choice i would have picked a starting 3rd row :

Harinordoquy - Chabal - Dussautoire with bonnaire on the bench. But Chabal is picked as a second row in the national team ( he never plays as such in Racing )

Chabal is having a great season as number 8 this year, he has improved his game so much lately ...

but anyway he is injured.

Stev_o wrote: »
    Somewhat of a odd French selection, Mas is a bit of a average prop ditto Servat at hooker. Dimengo however is a class act and is a french version of Healy minus a few inches. Tran Duch though will get them nowhere fast so thank god they have Para to fall back on for kicking and honestly i think the centre pairing is a bit slow, David or Marty not a better option? Roguiere has played how many games on the wing this year? Would of liked for the wild card of Andreu to be given a shot :p

Mas destroyed the Welsh front row last year and you can ask them. They admitted it themselves ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

They lose Barcella and can bring in Domingo.

Crazy depth.

Barcella is impressive though. huge loss for the team. He destroyed everything in front of him so far.

i am looking forward to see Ducalcon as he is very good in TOP14 and not stranger to the 1st position of Castres in the league. If he confirms we will have a very good front row with 4 international props Domingo, Barcella, Ducalcon, Mas and 2 good hookers : Servat and Swarzewsky.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,194 ✭✭✭twinytwo

heymans is not playing well these days ,Clerc is off form and struggling since his injury.

Fall is a bet on the future let's hope he capitalize on this but i guess he will. He is very good in the defensive replacement, physical and quick.

I don't really like the fact that Lievremont picks some players for their ability to cover different positions.

There is no cover for Fly half in this line up. Only Elissalde covers 9 and 10 on the bench. Would have like to see boyet given a chance ...

I am not a Fan of ouedraogo but as the staff says : they want a very mobile 3rd row.... means Picamoles who puts Burger on his back twice last november is out of the list ... and bonnaire on the bench !!!:eek:

Parra is very promissing scrum half and you will see him in the RDS soon against leinster. He will learns loads with Elissalde.

Form is temporary class is permenant... we have seen many times over what both clerc and heymans are capable of doing. I think that leaving heymans out fo the squad is madness even if he is playing well below par

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

twinytwo wrote: »
    Form is temporary class is permenant...

I absolutely hate that saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

danthefan wrote: »

It's true though.

Strongly applies to BOD, he had a major dip in "form" during 2008. Then has his best year ever in 2009.

+1 it's completely over used as an excuse to play guys who are out of form/past it. Picking players because they might start playing well at some stage is a no no for me.

• Advertisement

It's true though.

Strongly applies to BOD, he had a major dip in "form" during 2008. Then has his best year ever in 2009.

It's not true, it's a daft cliche used to justify selection of guys who aren't on form.

It's not true, it's a daft cliche used to justify selection of guys who aren't on form.

So if drico or kearney were playing badly coming up to the 6N's would you have dropped them??.. i think not.

Form is temporary class is permenant... we have seen many times over what both clerc and heymans are capable of doing. I think that leaving heymans out fo the squad is madness even if he is playing well below par

totally agree with that but the staff is under another perspective- they want to build for the world cup.

I don't particulary like the staff in place- For me the team should gather the right man at the right place.

We should have a big third row with Chabal at 8- he is absolutely huge this season for Racing. instead the staff wants him at 4....

ouedraogo doesn't have his place in the team in my mind... when you have bonnaire, harinordoquy, Picamoles, dussautoire to choose from ...

Number 9 should be Elissalde in my mind experience is key at that position. And we should have a 10 kicker such as Boyet or Wisniewski ( Racing ).

So i think we are heading straight to failure as we want to prepare a WC which is very hazardous to commit to and in the meantime not putting all our chances in the 6N.

So if drico or kearney were playing badly coming up to the 6N's would you have dropped them??.. i think not.

They're not playing badly. Even if they were they'd still be the best 13 and 15 we have available, they're so much better than the competition. I don't really see what point you're trying to make.

Thats not a like for like comparison as we dont have any decent replacements for them.

France have a raft of international class wingers.

totally agree with that but the staff is under another perspective- they want to build for the world cup.

I don't particulary like the staff in place- For me the team should gather the right man at the right place.

We should have a big third row with Chabal at 8- he is absolutely huge this season for Racing. instead the staff wants him at 4....

ouedraogo doesn't have his place in the team in my mind... when you have bonnaire, harinordoquy, Picamoles, dussautoire to choose from ...

Number 9 should be Elissalde in my mind experience is key at that position. And we should have a 10 kicker such as Boyet or Wisniewski ( Racing ).

So i think we are heading straight to failure as we want to prepare a WC which is very hazardous to commit to and in the meantime not putting all our chances in the 6N.

I could never understand that myself.. i always thought he did the most damage coming off the back of the scrum having him at 4 is a waste

Thats not a like for like comparison as we dont have any decent replacements for them.

France have a raft of international class wingers.

But how many of them have the experience of Heymans and Clerc.
    Half a break and either would destroy us. If france had heymans clerc and rougerie in the back 3 we would be in alot of trouble

But how many of them have the experience of Heymans and Clerc.
    Half a break and either would destroy us. If france had heymans clerc and rougerie in the back 3 we would be in alot of trouble

There playing Scotland though,might as well try the new combinations against them.

Having seen the way that back 3 you mention have been playing this season I wouldn't be overly worried to be honest, we have an equal/better combo ourselves and more importantly all our guys are on form.

the group is named for Scotland and ireland. There should be very little change in between games.

• Advertisement

There playing Scotland though,might as well try the new combinations against them.

Having seen the way that back 3 you mention have been playing this season I wouldn't be overly worried to be honest, we have an equal/better combo ourselves and more importantly all our guys are on form.

Well i didn't find Kearney at his best lately. i happened to see him knocking on a few garryowen which i was very surprised to witness ... these balls usually have his name on it. i didn't find him awesome against LI either.

he is working on carrying the ball and we can see him more adventurous in the counterattack but this has its downside.

when you receive a ball knowing that you are going to kick it straight away, you commit fully to the catch.

when you want to run the ball after the catch, then you have to get an eye on the ball and the other at the opposition ;)

Kearney is in a phase of improvement ATM and he might get out of it as a great full back, much more complete player.

Advertisement