Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Six Nations General Banter Thread. *Read Mod Warning. Post no.5*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Scotland: C Paterson (Edinburgh); T Evans (Glasgow), S Lamont (Scarlets), G Morrison (Glasgow), R Lamont (Toulon); D Parks (Glasgow), C Cusiter (Glasgow, capt); A Dickinson (Gloucester), R Ford (Edinburgh), E Murray (Northampton), N Hines (Leinster), A Kellock (Glasgow), K Brown (Glasgow), J Barclay (Glasgow), J Beattie (Glasgow).

Replacements: S Lawson (Gloucester), A Jacobsen (Edinburgh), R Gray (Glasgow), A MacDonald (Edinburgh), M Blair (Edinburgh), P Godman (Edinburgh), M Evans (Glasgow).

I'll start a match thread once the Wales side is announced.

It's a good call to bring in Dan Parks imo. He is far superior to Godman who has never been up to it.

The return of Murray is massive for the Scots, Low was terrible against France.

Tough on Max Evans, I actually think Morrison is the problem. There isn't a top Scottish 12 out there. I don't think Sean Lamont is a 13 either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Hippo wrote: »
    IRELAND Team & Replacements (v France, RBS 6 Nations Championship, Stade de France, February 13, kick-off 16:30 gmt):

15 - Rob Kearney (UCD/Leinster)
    14 - Tommy Bowe (Ospreys)
    13 - Brian O'Driscoll (UCD/Leinster) (capt)
    12 - Gordon D'Arcy (Lansdowne/Leinster)
    11 - Keith Earls (Young Munster/Munster)
    10 - Ronan O'Gara (Cork Constitution/Munster)
    9 - Tomas O'Leary (Dolphin/Munster)

1 - Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster)
    2 - Jerry Flannery (Shannon/Munster)
    3 - John Hayes (Bruff/Munster)
    4 - Donncha O'Callaghan (Cork Constitution/Munster)
    5 - Paul O'Connell (Young Munster/Munster)
    6 - Stephen Ferris (Dungannon/Ulster) / Kevin McLaughlin (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
    7 - David Wallace (Garryowen/Munster)
    8 - Jamie Heaslip (Naas/Leinster)

Replacements:
    16 - Rory Best (Banbridge/Ulster)
    17 - Tom Court (Malone/Ulster)
    18 - Leo Cullen (Blackrock College/Leinster)/Donnacha Ryan (Shannon/Munster)
    19 - Sean O'Brien (Clontarf/Leinster)
    20 - Eoin Reddan (Lansdowne/Leinster)
    21 - Jonathan Sexton (St. Mary's College/Leinster
    22 -

Who's the gap for?

Is Trimble injured or just totally dropped from the 22? I presume McLaughlin is dropped?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

Trimble injured. McLaughlin will play if Ferris isn't fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

Sorry, it's absolute nonsense to suggest Cullen is not of international class. I can't believe that was written!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Harsh on Cullen to be dropped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Hippo wrote: »
    Sorry, it's absolute nonsense to suggest Cullen is not of international class. I can't believe that was written!

Stand out player for us last weekend...he just loves playing in that green shirt. Some players wilt under the pressure guys like Cullen love it...He should have kept his place.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

http://www.irishrugby.ie/tvlive

Team announcement and press conference at 1:30pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Why are the showing the Italy match?

Live Broadcast of Team Announcement cancelled

Ireland Coach Declan Kidney has named the team to play France in the second game of the RBS 6 Nations Championship in Paris on Saturday.
    Keith Earls has been selected on the left wing in place of Andrew Trimble. In the second row Leo Cullen has been named to start as Donncha O'Callaghan has not recovered from the injury that ruled him out of the opening game against Italy.

A vacancy have been left at blindside flanker pending confirmation of the fitness Stephen Ferris.

Both players took part in training with the Ireland team today but a final decision will be made on Thursday.

The seven replacements will also be finalised on Thursday from the possible nine players named today.

IRELAND Team & Replacements (v France, RBS 6 Nations Championship, Stade de France, February 13, kick-off 16:30 gmt):

4 - Leo Cullen (Blackrock College/Leinster)
    6 - A.N.Other

Replacements:
    Rory Best (Banbridge/Ulster)
    Tom Court (Malone/Ulster)
    Donnacha Ryan (Shannon/Munster)
    Sean O'Brien (Clontarf/Leinster)
    Kevin McLaughlin (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
    Eoin Reddan (Lansdowne/Leinster)
    Jonathan Sexton (St. Mary's College/Leinster
    Paddy Wallace (Ballymena/Ulster)
    Andrew Trimble (Ballymena/Ulster)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭outwest

good team selection, this will be earls biggest game in his carrerr,

i stil ldont think he is as good as people make him out to be, he is good but there is alot of hype about him, if were to have anychance ferris must be fit,

kearney will need to have a good game here, kicking like he did against italy to the french back 3 will mean the game could be over by halftime,

harsh cullen getting dropped, but its the doc poc partnership, if certain player have bad games this week will kidney drop them for the nxt one,
    tol, kearney.

wallace will get the sub spot if trimble isint fit, he gets the backline moving better then dracey who is lucky to be still starting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

outwest wrote: »
    good team selection, this will be earls biggest game in his carrerr,

i stil ldont think he is as good as people make him out to be, he is good but there is alot of hype about him, if were to have anychance ferris must be fit,

kearney will need to have a good game here, kicking like he did against italy to the french back 3 will mean the game could be over by halftime,

harsh cullen getting dropped, but its the doc poc partnership, if certain player have bad games this week will kidney drop them for the nxt one,
    tol, kearney.

wallace will get the sub spot if trimble isint fit, he gets the backline moving better then dracey who is lucky to be still starting

Cullen is starting with Ryan on the bench.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It mentions that they're waiting on DOC though, so it's not quite clear whether he'll go onto the bench or straight into the XV with Cullen dropping to the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Is Ryan really better than Bob Casey? He looked pretty damn meh against Italy.

Whereas O'Connell and particularly Cullen looked awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

Podge_irl wrote: »
    It mentions that they're waiting on DOC though, so it's not quite clear whether he'll go onto the bench or straight into the XV with Cullen dropping to the bench.

Yeah, just saw that. Still if he's named Cullen, DOC's fitness must be more serious than Ferris' as a spot was left open for him.

Well the blurb at the top say a vacancy was left at second row, the team named below that just doesn't reflect that!

It's not entirely clear who the back subs will be either. I thought Trimble was injured which is why Earls is in. Are they waiting on Trimble's fitness or Sexton's (or both) to decide the back subs?

edit: they've just changed it on the IRFU site, DOC is definitely out.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Well the blurb at the top say a vacancy was left at second row, the team named below that just doesn't reflect that!

I took it straight from irishrugby.ie. Its confusing alright, probably would have helped if we could have watched the announcement.

Reading the top it seems to say that DOC will play if fit, and Cullen on the bench.

Looking at the team it would suggest Cullen will play, and DOC will be on the bench if fit.

Hopefully we will get something a little clearer as the day goes on.

Updated my post to reflect changes on IRFU site.

Cullen starts, bench to be decided Thursday.

So looks like Ferris v O'Brien v McLaughlin for a starting spot and bench position.

Who else in danger, I'm guessing two from Trimble, Wallace, and Sexton?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Is Ryan really better than Bob Casey? He looked pretty damn meh against Italy.

Whereas O'Connell and particularly Cullen looked awesome.

I thought he did very well when he came on. He took nice hard lines back on the angle which allowed the forwards to recycle quickly.

I'd never been much of a fan of his, but thought his dynamism brought another dimension to a by then tired forward effort

I guess it's possible that if Ferris starts he might want McLaughlin and OBrien on the bench. But that would leave no back 3/5 cover depending on whether Sexton or Wallace benches. I'm guessing the back subs are just dependent on Trimble's fitness though - I think Wallace is gonna be the one to miss out if Trimble makes it.

dub_skav wrote: »
    I thought he did very well when he came on. He took nice hard lines back on the angle which allowed the forwards to recycle quickly.

I'd never been much of a fan of his, but thought his dynamism brought another dimension to a by then tired forward effort

Aye, but he seemed to lack the power and grunt we needed to take over the breakdown and ensure quick ball for the backs to use...

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭mccarte2

I saw a live stream that showed the team as this

Kearney
    Bowe
    O'Driscoll
    Darcy
    Trimble
    O'Gara
    O'Leary
    Heaslip
    Wallace
    McLaughlin
    O'Connell
    O'Callaghan
    Hayes
    Flannery
    Healy

Best, Court, Cullen, O'Brien, Reddan, Wallace, Earls

I'm wondering was it somehow the live stream from the Italy game due to the technical mix up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Aye, but he seemed to lack the power and grunt we needed to take over the breakdown and ensure quick ball for the backs to use...

Depends what you want I suppose.
    Casey? Grunt in scrum, definitely. Dynamism at ball carrying, Not really
    Ryan? Grunt in scrum, Not really. Dynamism at ball carrying, yes.

Now assuming that our 2 starting 2nd rows don't need to be replaced early, I would say that the dynamic 2nd row who lacks a little in the set piece is a more valuable sub than the solid set-piece man.

I am a 2nd row by the way and more of a solid than dynamic one, so i have nothing against Bob's type of player. :D

mccarte2 wrote: »
    I'm wondering was it somehow the live stream from the Italy game due to the technical mix up?

Yes it was, they ran a notice on it that said live announcement cancelled due to technical difficulties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

4 - Leo Cullen (Blackrock College/Leinster)
    6 - A.N.Other

Replacements:

Rory Best (Banbridge/Ulster)
    Tom Court (Malone/Ulster)
    Donnacha Ryan (Shannon/Munster)
    Sean O'Brien (Clontarf/Leinster)
    Kevin McLaughlin (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
    Eoin Reddan (Lansdowne/Leinster)
    Jonathan Sexton (St. Mary's College/Leinster
    Paddy Wallace (Ballymena/Ulster)
    Andrew Trimble (Ballymena/Ulster)

That's the team - replacements to be cut from 9 to 7 of course. AN Other = Ferris if fit.

dub_skav wrote: »
    Depends what you want I suppose.
    Casey? Grunt in scrum, definitely. Dynamism at ball carrying, Not really
    Ryan? Grunt in scrum, Not really. Dynamism at ball carrying, yes.

Now assuming that our 2 starting 2nd rows don't need to be replaced early, I would say that the dynamic 2nd row who lacks a little in the set piece is a more valuable sub than the solid set-piece man.

I am a 2nd row by the way and more of a solid than dynamic one, so i have nothing against Bob's type of player. :D

Oh I don't disagree that a more versatile player's a better bench option usually, but I thought the problems we were having against the Italian pack would have suggested we needed the slower heavier second row.

Looking at this French pack... Well, it's definitely not going to be much easier to play than the Italians.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Halfpenny and lock Johnathan Thomas have been recalled by Wales for the Scottish game at the Millennium....Seems Gatland has relented after his little post match tantrum and Wyn Jones keeps his place...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭2040

toomevara wrote: »
    Halfpenny and lock Johnathan Thomas have been recalled by Wales for the Scottish game at the Millennium....Seems Gatland has relented after his little post match tantrum and Wyn Jones keeps his place...

I thought Halfpenny should have played v England anyway. Class player. He'll be going into my fantasy team i'd say. Williams is a bit off the ball, to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

just read that the french Staff are about to lodge an official complaint against N Owens refereing.

after Sunday's game it appears that reviewing all the decisions taken by Mr Owens proved that many of his calls are not funded. He is also accused of being partial. When the scot pack were not penalized when under extreme pressure, the french were penalized every time they were playing in front of their posts. He is accused of inventing the 2 fouls that cost 6 points to France.

there is also a spear tackle on Francois Trinh duc not even noticed.

Constant collapsing the malls weren't penalized against scots.

After the appaling refereing of Mr Owens during the Ireland-France game last year ( 13 penalties for Ireland - 3 for France ) ,

the French federation have decided to take the case to the refereing commission of the IRB directed by Paddy O'Brien.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Isn't Nigel Owens one of the most respected International referees - despite the bloodgate debacle - he certainly has my vote. Why are the French complaining they won the damn match didn't they, what will they be like when we whip them on Saturday? Ohh, I forgot then the excuse will be that they are concentrating on the Heineken Cup/2011 World Cup etc.etc..1066-2010 More than 900 years of oppression and now this! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Isn't Nigel Owens one of the most respected International referees - despite the bloodgate debacle - he certainly has my vote. Why are the French complaining they won the damn match didn't they, what will they be like when we whip them on Saturday? Ohh, I forgot then the excuse will be that they are concentrating on the Heineken Cup/2011 World Cup etc.etc..1066-2010 More than 900 years of oppression and now this! :D

Pssst. The Normans didn't actually invade Ireland until 1169

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Get used to it - your team will be heavily oppressed come Saturday afternoon ! :D

Advertisement