Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Six Nations General Banter Thread. *Read Mod Warning. Post no.5*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

twinytwo wrote: »
    :mad:..... trimble
    :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

if he fecks up again

He deserves to be selected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭2040

Delighted for McLaughlin. He deserves it. His selection sends out a good message.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

if he fecks up again

That's harsh. He's a much better player now and that was over 2 years ago when he, much like Earls currently, had yet to settle on a position.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

Only selections that are disappointing IMO, is that Cronin and Boss weren't selected but other than that, I think it's a good team.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

if he fecks up again
    danthefan wrote: »
    He deserves to be selected.

He is playing well right now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Very different team to the one starting against South Africa. Good to see McLaughlin and Trimble getting starts. I'd like to see Cullen and Ryan get a bit of gametime later on but that's getting ahead of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Delighted to see Mc Laughlin start. O Gara too! big call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

buck65 wrote: »
    Delighted to see Mc Laughlin start. O Garatoo! big call.

not when the competition is injured, its a fairly straight forward call.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

Reckon this means o'gara is pretty sure of his place v france unless he has a howler which is unlikely! Cant throw sexton in after his hand injury now the leg!! Feel sorry for him though hopefully we will see him get more than cameo roles in the rest of the campaign. Feel this was the game he needed to leave a marker down in. Fair play mclaughlin and trimble both there on merit!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

With Ferris gone we loose a bit of umph in the ball carrying department, McLaughlin adds though a extremely high work rate which will hopefully give Heaslip room to work some magic. I have worries with the hookers they ll both be rusty and i think the lineout with suffer as a result.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭thehighground

Thank fck another few days free of ROGgate tribunals

I think all the prosecuting lawyers & judges are banned anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Super Sidious

I think this is a bit of an experimental side... I could see a few changes for the next match... darcy/wallace, obrien/ferris/mclaughlin, ogara/sexton, trimble/earls...

I could be wrong though, but my first reaction was the side is not the strongest he can put out... we'll have to see!

Stev_o wrote: »
    With Ferris gone we loose a bit of umph in the ball carrying department, McLaughlin adds though a extremely high work rate which will hopefully give Heaslip room to work some magic. I have worries with the hookers they ll both be rusty and i think the lineout with suffer as a result.

What McLaughlin lacks in physicality he makes up for in intelligence by and large. He's a very smart runner, even if he doesn't plough through people like SOB or Ferris. SOB is some fella to bring on later in the game as well.

flynner13 wrote: »
    I think this is a bit of an experimental side... I could see a few changes for the next match... darcy/wallace, obrien/ferris/mclaughlin, ogara/sexton, trimble/earls...

I could be wrong though, but my first reaction was the side is not the strongest he can put out... we'll have to see!

I can't see how this is experimental. D'Arcy is better than Wallace, Ferris is injured and McLaughlin is a better 6 than SOB, Sexton is injured and Trimble is a better wing than Earls currently. When Ferris and less so Sexton return from injury it'll be different, but for now that is the strongest side possible imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭A-Train

Happy with the team selected, delighted for Locky!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

hmm...3 changes to the team that won the grand slam, all injury enforced....and the big call at OH also decided due to injury

yeah..very experimental:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Podge_irl wrote: »
    What McLaughlin lacks in physicality he makes up for in intelligence by and large. He's a very smart runner, even if he doesn't plough through people like SOB or Ferris. SOB is some fella to bring on later in the game as well.

mclaughlin really impressed me in his last few Leinster games at the amount of times he came onto popped balls at speed. He still needs to bulk up a bit but its great to see his form this season being recognised.
    was half expecting to see quinny get the nod at 6 from Kidney!

much as i've berated him in the past Trimble deserves his place on form however i'd say Horgan can feel hard done not to be in the 22.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

if he fecks up again

Have you been watching Trimble this season?? When has he exactly fecked up? If you are taking about World Cup game against France, it wasnt entirely his fault, he was called in by a senior player off a set piece move if I recall correctly. Obviously a bit of inexperience on his part.

He is an outstanding rugby talent with ball in hand and his defence has come on leaps and bounds. He is comfortable on the left wing and he fully deserves his selection on the left wing. Its his position to lose now for championship. I would argue he is better defensively than Earls....

Wasnt really thinking about the injuries, just people lacking match fitness/international caps... I think the team will be different for the next match!

Wasnt really thinking about the injuries, just people lacking match fitness/international caps... I think the team will be different for the next match!

Unless Ferris comes back I doubt it. I don't think you could go dropping Sexton right back into it for the France game (though I think he would have started against Italy and then France had he not been injured). Ferris would obviously leapfrog Kev, but I don't see anywhere else you could make changes. The only possibility would be Best/Flannery swapping imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Podge_irl wrote: »

Aye, he's almost Openside'ish in the way he operates (expect he doesn't play the fetcher role) should be interesting to see how he gets on against a giant Italian pack wish him the best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭thehighground

bamboozle wrote: »
    mclaughlin really impressed me in his last few Leinster games at the amount of times he came onto popped balls at speed. He still needs to bulk up a bit but its great to see his form this season being recognised.
    was half expecting to see quinny get the nod at 6 from Kidney!

much as i've berated him in the past Trimble deserves his place on form however i'd say Horgan can feel hard done not to be in the 22.

Its Italy - so McLaughlin should be fine. Horgan is a one position player really, and to get into the 22, he will have to get ahead of Tommy Bowe. Earls can cover fullback, wing & centre which neither Trimble nor Horgan can do (neither play fullback).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Brewster wrote: »
    Have you been watching Trimble this season?? When has he exactly fecked up? If you are taking about World Cup game against France, it wasnt entirely his fault, he was called in by a senior player off a set piece move if I recall correctly. Obviously a bit of inexperience on his part.

He is an outstanding rugby talent with ball in hand and his defence has come on leaps and bounds. He is comfortable on the left wing and he fully deserves his selection on the left wing. Its his position to lose now for championship. I would argue he is better defensively than Earls....

The season consists of more then the last two games. He was non exsistent for the first three months of the season.

Horgan can feel very hard done.

Im probably wrong, just a bit surprised at some of the selections... Still Im happy to see Healy and Mclaughin starting, hopefully Best will be back to full fitness soon, he's been missed! Horgan a little hard done by, but he is really only one position... I can still see Earls taking Trimbles spot for the France game...

its a coin toss with Rog and Sexton, but Im glad to see that Rog didnt wilt away, he's found a bit of a resurgence since Sexton started breathing down his kneck!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Happy with that team, Id say wel see Ferris back in for France and the rest to stay the same, with Paddy Wallace dropping off the 22. Im a bit sceptical about Reddan on the bench, Boss would be a better option imo, but a minor matter. Good to see Cullen get on to the bench too. Also nice to see 4 recent Leinster academy grads on the 22 with Johnny to come in. Any word on the Italy team yet??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

wixfjord wrote: »
    Happy with that team, Id say wel see Ferris back in for France and the rest to stay the same, with Paddy Wallace dropping off the 22. Im a bit sceptical about Reddan on the bench, Boss would be a better option imo, but a minor matter. Good to see Cullen get on to the bench too. Also nice to see 4 recent Leinster academy grads on the 22 with Johnny to come in. Any word on the Italy team yet??

No team yet but the Italy squad is:

Forwards: Matias Aguero, Mauro Bergamasco, Marco Bortolami, Martin Castrogiovanni, Lorenzo Cittadini, Carlo Antonio Del Fava, Paul Derbyshire, Quintin Geldenhuys, Leonardo Ghiraldini, Fabio Ongaro, Salvatore Perugini, Josh Sole, Alessandro Zanni.

Backs: Mirco Bergamasco, Riccardo Bocchino, Gonzalo Canale, Gonzalo Garcia, Craig Gower, Andrea Masi, Luke McLean, Simon Picone, Kaine Robertson, Alberto Sgarbi, Tito Tebaldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

We can debate what the best team is but I think we'll all agree its refreshing to see players like McLaughlin given a chance. Compared with the EOS 15 certainties.

Trimble deserves to be there. Anybody know what happened to Cronin? I presume he also has an injury.

Re Boss, he disapointed me for Ireland A. He made an instant impact by setting up the try but after that he took ages to get the ball out of a ruck. He waited until England realligned their defensive wall all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭andrewdcs

Looks good, barring a few obvious injuries not much I'd do different.
    Fab for McLaughlain. Do feel for Horgan who's having an outstanding season, but Trimble has similarly been superb and can tuck in should the backs need a shuffle.
    Little nervous about 10 cover, should ROG take a knock (touch wood) , but we should be comfortable enough at home. Hard to tell much about what Italy might bring, losing Parisse is a big blow.

On Wales England, I'm fancying England to have a bit of a lash wide against Wales, the noises they were making about the Ireland A game and the knocking they are getting I wouldn't want our first game to be in Twickenham. Gut feeling is that they've too much talent not to put some tries down for the hard up home fans.

Expect France to turn Scotland over very narrowly, think Scots will scare the life out of them but France, even away, have too much going for them around the pitch.

God I'm exited.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

The season consists of more then the last two games. He was non exsistent for the first three months of the season.

Horgan can feel very hard done.

Disagree, Trimble has been in Ulster team consistently since October and is playing fantastically well (not just for last 2 games!) Im a Leinster fan, and I agree, Shaggy has been brilliant too, but Shaggy in not comfortable on left wing. Bowe would have to switch wings to accommodate Shaggy and thats making two changes when only one is needed. Besides, Bowe plays his best rugby at 14. It was a straight shootout between Trimble and Earls and I think Deccie has called it spot on. Earls and Wallace are two fantastic players that can cover all positions in back 5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Brewster wrote: »
    Disagree, Trimble has been in Ulster team consistently since October and is playing fantastically well (not just for last 2 games!) Im a Leinster fan, and I agree, Shaggy has been brilliant too, but Shaggy in not comfortable on left wing. Bowe would have to switch wings to accommodate Shaggy and thats making two changes when only one is needed. Besides, Bowe plays his best rugby at 14. It was a straight shootout between Trimble and Earls and I think Deccie has called it spot on. Earls and Wallace are two fantastic players that can cover all positions in back 5

Well Italy will be as good a team as any to prove that he's international standard. I expect Ireland will move the ball around a bit so hopefully he'll get plenty of it.

Advertisement