Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Six Nations General Banter Thread. *Read Mod Warning. Post no.5*

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Bugnug

andrewdcs wrote: »
    Looks good, barring a few obvious injuries not much I'd do different.
    Fab for McLaughlain. Do feel for Horgan who's having an outstanding season, but Trimble has similarly been superb and can tuck in should the backs need a shuffle.
    Little nervous about 10 cover, should ROG take a knock (touch wood) , but we should be comfortable enough at home. Hard to tell much about what Italy might bring, losing Parisse is a big blow.

On Wales England, I'm fancying England to have a bit of a lash wide against Wales, the noises they were making about the Ireland A game and the knocking they are getting I wouldn't want our first game to be in Twickenham. Gut feeling is that they've too much talent not to put some tries down for the hard up home fans.

Expect France to turn Scotland over very narrowly, think Scots will scare the life out of them but France, even away, have too much going for them around the pitch.

God I'm exited.

Why are you worried about the cover at 10?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Bugnug wrote: »
    Why are you worried about the cover at 10?

many think wallace is not an international 10

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Riskymove wrote: »

Wallace isn't even a provincial level 10. Assuming ROG doesn't get injured in the first 5 minutes and considering it's Italy, we should be fine though.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Wallace isn't even a provincial level 10. Assuming ROG doesn't get injured in the first 5 minutes and considering it's Italy, we should be fine though.

sure

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Bugnug

I agree but I wouldn't be too concerned about that. The Italian backs are hopeless. The game will be won and lost in the forwards. So I wouldn't be overly concerned with Wallace having to come in at 10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Real disappointment for Sexton, it'll be hard for him to push into the team now for this series unless we see ROG collapse.

Good for KMcL, good time to blood him. Still a tough call over SOB.

Did anyone else get a completely wrong team listing from http://www.irishrugby.ie/tvlive on-screen ticker today?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

They listed the South African team, apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭thehighground

Trojan wrote: »
    Real disappointment for Sexton, it'll be hard for him to push into the team now for this series unless we see ROG collapse.

I wouldn't agree - if he is fit, I would expect Sexton to start at least 2 or 3 games. Last 6Ns, bench options like Darcy/Wallace Leamy/Heislip & O'Leary/Stringer started games.

Sexton would also provide an element of surprise as his game won't be as well analysed as O'Gara's just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭andrewdcs

Don't see enough of Wallace at 10 to rate him, how consistent is his place kicking / game management etc. As ever, Italy will try to rough a few people up early on, I really don't want it to be ROG.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

When is the English and French team been named?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

andrewdcs wrote: »
    Don't see enough of Wallace at 10 to rate him, how consistent is his place kicking / game management etc. As ever, Italy will try to rough a few people up early on, I really don't want it to be ROG.

We could play Rob Kearney at 10 and still beat Italy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

GiftofGab wrote: »
    When is the English and French team been named?

Tomorrow morning 08.00 am for the French 23

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭darrenh

This guy reckons Ireland are getting a bit "arrogant" after winning the grand slam. Never heard of him but he has 25 caps for Scotland and went on two lions tours.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/johnbeattie/2010/01/i_cant_wait_for_the_six_nation.html#more

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Clever of Uncle Deccie to give him some gametime at 10 in the A game just in case though wasn't it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭outwest

is croinin injured because if not kidney is making a huge mistake, if flan hasnt played in a few months. and best has 120 min of rugby this year 80 of which for banbridge,

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Big boost for Wales:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_union/8489043.stm

Wales full-back Lee Byrne has had a two-match ban overturned, leaving him free to face England in the Six Nations opener at Twickenham on Saturday.

Expect to see Hook at 12, Roberts at 13 and Byrne at 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

I know it's a bit late, but yay for Kevin McLaughlin.

I'm pretty happy with that team, actually. It's about as strong a side as we could put out at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Also very happy with the team.

Just hope Sexton will get gametime at some stage now, I can't see him starting against France anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Big boost for Wales:

Damn! England need every bit of help they can get with this one ,but when I wrestle with my schizophrenia I realise that when push comes to shove all I care about is Munster Ireland. Even if Jonny Wilkinson plays for England for the entire Six Nations campaign I want Ireland to win another Triple Crown and Grand Slam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

the 22 french :

Front row : Thomas Domingo (Clermont), William Servat (Toulouse), Nicolas Mas (Perpignan)
    Second row : Lionel Nallet (Racing Metro), Pascal Pape (Stade Français) third row : Thierry Dusautoir (Toulouse), Fulgence Ouedraogo (Montpellier), Imanol Harinordoquy (Biarritz)
    Scrun half : Morgan Parra (Clermont)
    Fly half :François Trinh-Duc (Montpellier)
    centers : Yannick Jauzion (Toulouse), Mathieu Bastareaud (Stade Français
    wing : 11 Aurelien Rougerie (Clermont), 14 Benjamin Fall (Bayonne),
    Full back :Clement Poitrenaud (Toulouse)

Bench : Dimitri Szarzewski (Stade Français), Luc Ducalcon (Castres), Julien Pierre (Clermont), Julien Bonnaire (Clermont), Jean-Baptiste Elissalde (Toulouse), David Marty (Perpignan), Vincent Clerc (Toulouse).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

what did Shaggy do to Kidney?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Barname wrote: »
    played on the right wing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

He is building a squad. Not performing damage limitation.

SomeFool wrote: »
    Clever of Uncle Deccie to give him some gametime at 10 in the A game just in case though wasn't it!

well he is in the squad as third out-half cover so giving him some time was a must on that basis...when did he last play there?

I'd imagine he'd hardly be first choice if ROG and Sexton were both injured though...I presume Humphries would appear

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

Big boost for Wales:

Makes a far better 15 for us,very pleased to see... shame we couldn't sort the scrum half issue out.... England look like a team planned for attacking... as are we, "could" be an entertaining game!!

Hook and Roberts in centre..style and power!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Wales no.9 should be Rees or Roberts.

Roberts is probably more talented but Rees is is better form at the moment.

Cooper has been terrible since he returned to Cardiff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

Wales no.9 should be Rees or Roberts.

Roberts is probably more talented but Rees is is better form at the moment.

Cooper has been terrible since he returned to Cardiff.

Will find out at 13:00 anyway, I'd see Rees getting the nod, far from ideal really, especially for this match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

JustinDee wrote: »
    He is building a squad. Not performing damage limitation.

ah, yeah, that explains the continuing reliance on The Bull !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

ah, yeah, that explains the continuing reliance on The Bull !

You asked about Horgan.
    Who did you think would be the equivalent for the tight-head job?

When you build a squad you don't clean house out particularly following up on a unprecedented season. You blend experience with promise. The Aussie cricket team are experts at doing this and given the teams that Dec Kidney has been fielding, I'd say he, his coaches and team manager also know who to select.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

BoarHunter wrote: »
    the 22 french :

Front row : Thomas Domingo (Clermont), William Servat (Toulouse), Nicolas Mas (Perpignan)
    Second row : Lionel Nallet (Racing Metro), Pascal Pape (Stade Français) third row : Thierry Dusautoir (Toulouse), Fulgence Ouedraogo (Montpellier), Imanol Harinordoquy (Biarritz)
    Scrun half : Morgan Parra (Clermont)
    Fly half :François Trinh-Duc (Montpellier)
    centers : Yannick Jauzion (Toulouse), Mathieu Bastareaud (Stade Français
    wing : 11 Aurelien Rougerie (Clermont), 14 Benjamin Fall (Bayonne),
    Full back :Clement Poitrenaud (Toulouse)

Bench : Dimitri Szarzewski (Stade Français), Luc Ducalcon (Castres), Julien Pierre (Clermont), Julien Bonnaire (Clermont), Jean-Baptiste Elissalde (Toulouse), David Marty (Perpignan), Vincent Clerc (Toulouse).

Whose Benjamin Fall? Can't say I've ever heard of him. :o

Advertisement