Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion [Happy New Year]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

Su Campu wrote: »
    Anyone following that convection in the south Irish Sea? It's taken a turn towards the extreme southeast coast in the last hour, following a slight kink in the 700hPa flow. It could just clip Wexford or Rosslare in the next hour or two.

Saw that on the radar...didn't bother getting the hopes up as I live in the tropics (Waterford).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

arctictree wrote: »
    Thats mad. My brother in law drives one of the gritter trucks for Wicklow CC. He has been out non stop for the last two weeks. In fact, they are out gritting at the moment. Can't believe Dublin CC are not doing the same...
    It is all about the money. Dublin don't seem to have any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

dbyrne wrote: »
    Spent Christmas in Donegal and it wasnt fun with the ice and snow. I can understand why the Donegal council can say they have no grit or salt as they have had this weather for the last 2 - 3 weeks. Spent last sunday with no water before we left to go back to dublin and there are still people without proper water supply still.
    Had to go into work today, here in south dublin and south dublin have not gritted the roads at all. Was talking to a lad up at the Merry ploughboy and he said that the council had stopped gritting the roads over christmas as they have no money, this is the first day of snow in dublin and nothing has been done, which is disgraceful. There were no gritters out last night, there were no gritters out today and I am just back in and i havnt seen a gritter at all this evening. You wonder why we pay taxes, business etc pay rates and the councils waste our money and dont provide basic services

What are we going to do if this weather stays and the council doest grit the roads?????

You are only experiencing what we get in rural Ireland, we pay taxes, yet our roads can have deep potholes, they can be iced/snowed up for several days, we never get the roads treated.

I guess everyone will just have to get use to it and fend for ourselves, the councils will only treat certain areas if they have the resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

Would it be cheaper to offer everyone subsidised snow-tyres?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Anyone following that convection in the south Irish Sea? It's taken a turn towards the extreme southeast coast in the last hour, following a slight kink in the 700hPa flow. It could just clip Wexford or Rosslare in the next hour or two.

This one ?

100505.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

People in Wexford you (EDIT: MAY BE!) about to get snow in the next hour! ;)

A convergence line has formed between Ireland and Wales this evening, generating some pretty hefty precipitation. There is a slight 700hPa trough which is steering the showers southwestwards towards the Wexford coast.

100506.gif

100504.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭dbyrne

Min wrote: »
    You are only experiencing what we get in rural Ireland, we pay taxes, yet our roads can have deep potholes, they can be iced/snowed up for several days, we never get the roads treated.

I guess everyone will just have to get use to it and fend for ourselves, the councils will only treat certain areas if they have the resources.

Donegal council were gritting the main roads at least, I was on them and able to drive on them, we didnt even get that in south dublin today, none of the main roads were gritted, i can understand the side roads not been gritted but the main roads have to be.

My drive from donegal to dublin was as follows
    donegal - gritted
    leitrim - gritted
    sligo - gritted
    roscommon - gritted
    longford - gritted

side roads on all countys, not gritted and leathal. I made that drive twice over christmas up and down so i know how bad it was.

This one ?

Shyte, it's probably only rain......oops! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Saw this a while back and the way its going quite a substantial part of Wexford may see this shower.

As for what will fall out of it, it may be sleety at coast but any distance inland snow.

Mothman wrote: »
    Saw this a while back and the way its going quite a substantial part of Wexford may see this shower.

As for what will fall out of it, it may be sleety at coast but any distance inland snow.

Yeah, M2 was T5.9/DP2.5°C at 21:00.....that's probably rain in that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

dbyrne wrote: »
    Donegal council were gritting the main roads at least, I was on them and able to drive on them, we didnt even get that in south dublin today, none of the main roads were gritted, i can understand the side roads not been gritted but the main roads have to be.

My drive from donegal to dublin was as follows
    donegal - gritted
    leitrim - gritted
    sligo - gritted
    roscommon - gritted
    longford - gritted

side roads on all countys, not gritted and leathal. I made that drive twice over christmas up and down so i know how bad it was.

I see your point, just look at the nra site- http://www.nra.ie/RoadWeatherInfo/Map/data/htm/WeatherTable.htm

Sandyford - ICY, not treated.

and the latest radar update wouldn't inspire as much confidence, it seems to have disapated a little and when I said much of Wexford, I left out "coast"

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Would the M5 buoy not be more applicable to Wexford ? It currently has a negative DP

M5
    62094 1 Jan
    22:00 1014.8 n/a n/a 5.2 -0.8 65 4 1.1 10.5

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭eigrod

Anyone brave enough to predict when we're likely to see a thaw and return to positive temperatures in the Eastern part of the country ?

Would the M5 buoy not be more applicable to Wexford ? It currently has a negative DP

M5
    62094 1 Jan
    It may be nearer but source air is from nearer M2

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭francosp

eigrod wrote: »
    Anyone brave enough to predict when we're likely to see a thaw and return to positive temperatures in the Eastern part of the country ?

Not anytime soon would be my guess..

eigrod wrote: »

Looking at the charts that have been posted by the crew on here , we are looking at least another 7 days of it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

I must add my voice to those complaining about lack of gritting
    A disgrace is what it is putting drivers, and indeed pedestrians at risk
    Yet another example of a leaderless, rudderless country

M5
    62094 1 Jan

M5 is downwind of that system so it doesn't give any insight as to what the system contains. We know that airstream has passed over the M2 buoy, so it's more likely to be similar to those conditions. This would appear to be the case on the Raintoday radar.

M5 is downwind of that system so it doesn't give any insight as to what the system sontains. We know that airstream has passed over the M2 buoy, so it's more likely to be similar to those conditions. This would appear to be the case on the Raintoday radar.

Cheers ,

Everyday is a lesson in here :)

• Advertisement

I'm going to hedge my bets and say we're going to see some precipitation come up on the radar in the next hour, just west of the Isle of Mann, which may affect the Dublin area. The 700hPa winds are briefly turning northeasterly, which will give a larger sea fetch, which might generate something. They have been northerly all day.

100508.gif

I'm going to hedge my bets and say we're going to see some precipitation come up on the radar in the next hour, just west of the Isle of Mann, which may affect the Dublin area. The 700hPa winds are briefly turning northeasterly, which will give a larger sea fetch, which might generate something. They have been northerly all day.

100508.gif

You have gone from the Ultimate downgrader to a bit of a Ramper in the last week :D

Temps took a bit of rise to -2.7 in Newbridge about an hour or two ago but there back down now to -3.6 with a DP of -4.7 .

DO you think that little bit of activity west of the Isle of Man could push in towards my neck of the woods ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 dev_lee

Hi,

Is there a chance Carlow will get snow tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

dev_lee wrote: »
    Hi,

Is there a chance Carlow will get snow tonight?

Nope.....:o

You have gone from the Ultimate downgrader to a bit of a Ramper in the last week :D

Well so have the conditions! ;)

I think if anything did occur it would probably only have time to reach coastal districts as the 700hPa wind is only 15kts and looks to swing back around to northerly/northwesterly by 3am.

100510.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Well what about this trough heading down from Scotland can we expect much snow will it be heavy shold it last long? No one has talked about it

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

owenc wrote: »
    Well what about this trough heading down from Scotland can we expect much snow will it be heavy shold it last long? No one has talked about it

Owen, depending on your elevation, I would expect sleet rather than snow, with back edge snowfall possible. The latest temperature reports for northern coastal locations are very poor for snowfall, with temperatures well above freezing..

There is a maritime mix of air just ahead of this front, due north of the North coast. As the front slides south it will hit colder air embedded over the land & so has a greater chance of snowfall, however anywhere within 25 miles at least, probably more around 50+ miles of the North coast, I would be very surprised to see anything other than rain or sleet at first, with snow possible later.

It is currently making southward progress, it should be 3AM at least before it is with you.

SA :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Guys... tell me this, whats the best home weather kit to get if you have an interest in keeping track of things ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

It'll probably be quite heavy for you, dissipating as it moves south. The problem is it could be rain or sleet, especially for you on the northern coast.

• Advertisement

It is generating a good bit of precipitation over Scotland at the moment. The GFS vorticity advection charts hint that this will continue as it reaches the north coast before 6am, so you will see some action - probably snow just inland from the coast.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement