Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion [Happy New Year]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Su Campu wrote: »
    It is generating a good bit of precipitation over Scotland at the moment. The GFS vorticity advection charts hint that this will continue as it reaches the north coast before 6am, so you will see some action - probably snow just inland from the coast.

This is weird why are people saying just snow inland when right on the coast at eglinton it is -1c and a little bit further inland -3c here it is -4c here now near -5c.. should it be snow here?:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭tony1212

is there any sign of the snow heading to limerick....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

tony1212 wrote: »
    is there any sighn of the snow heading to limerick....

Small chance tomorrow. Probably not.

Just looked outside, big ring around the moon, and ye know what they say :)

Re the lack of gritters in Dublin and other parts of country, could it be we have no money left, because we gave 100 million to Climate Warming:)
    :rolleyes:

Jake1 wrote: »
    Just looked outside, big ring around the moon, and ye know what they say :)

Re the lack of gritters in Dublin and other parts of country, could it be we have no money left, because we gave 100 million to Climate Warming:)
    :rolleyes:

They may well be off on holidays (hard to believe but they do!) as last week they were off on holidays on christmas eve and christmas day in ni maybe this is the case in dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

owenc wrote: »
    This is weird why are people saying just snow inland when right on the coast at eglinton it is -1c and a little bit further inland -3c here it is -4c here now near -5c.. should it be snow here?:(:(

Winds are very calm at the moment up there. With the arrival of the trough winds will pick up, bringing maritime air onshore.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Winger_PL

t|nt|n wrote: »
    Guys... tell me this, whats the best home weather kit to get if you have an interest in keeping track of things ??

I suggest checking out this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055777057

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Winger_PL wrote: »

Cheers !! :)

23Z Dublin TAF gives just a slight chance of light snow showers from 3-7pm tomorrow. No mention of it for Casement.

TAF EIDW 012300Z 0200/0224 27010KT 9999 FEW022 PROB30 0204/0210 0400 FZFG BKN001 PROB30 TEMPO 0215/0219 1500 -SHSN BKN006 BKN017CB BECMG 0219/0221 07008KT=

Similarly low chance of snow for Knock from 2-6pm.

TAF EIKN 012300Z 0200/0224 29006KT 9999 FEW025 PROB30 0200/0211 0300 FZFG BKN001 PROB30 TEMPO 0214/0218 1000 -SHSN BKN005 BKN016CB BECMG 0218/0220 07007KT=

Shannon too, from 7-10pm

TAF EINN 012300Z 0200/0224 VRB03KT 0500 FZFG BKN002 TEMPO 0200/0210 0200 FZFG OVC001 BECMG 0209/0212 26007KT 9999 SCT022 BKN030 PROB30 TEMPO 0219/0222 3000 -SHSN BKN006 BKN017CB=

They may well be off on holidays (hard to believe but they do!) as last week they were off on holidays on christmas eve and christmas day in ni maybe this is the case in dublin?

Quite possible alright. But they should maybe be called back for duty.
    Also, the army could be put to good use.

• Advertisement

any one in Lucan qucik look up at the orange lights seriouslY!!! thats 4 ive seen.. wow. they go very high into atmosphere if they are those lanterns..

Winds are very calm at the moment up there. With the arrival of the trough winds will pick up, bringing maritime air onshore.

but how high should this rise the temperatures? its around -5c now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

any one in Lucan qucik look up at the orange lights seriouslY!!! thats 4 ive seen.. wow. they go very high into atmosphere if they are those lanterns..

weather ballons?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Also, the army could be put to good use.

And do what? Shoot at the snow? Or bring back the three sandbags they laid during the floods and empty them over Dublin? :D

Gritting needs gritters and grit ...neither of which we have in abundance (as they cost rather a lot of money and are normally not really needed that much)

Sue, did you see those lights?? Please someone tell me you did :)
    My partner and I are have just seen four of them.
    Ive heard of these but never ever seen them. Im amazed if these lanterns can go so high..
    feckity heckity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

I saw something like that last night - moved slowly across the sky then stopped and just faded away.

but how high should this rise the temperatures? its around -5c now

With calm wind and a clear night, the bottom few metres of the atmosphere near the ground can become several degrees colder than just above, easily by 5 degrees. Once the wind starts blowing, this warmer air gets mixed down and temperatures shoot up. But also the fact that sea air will be blown in will be a big factor.

Mobhi1 wrote: »
    I saw something like that last night - moved slowly across the sky then stopped and just faded away.

These appeared to go upwards at an angle. went really really high. Thats the coolest thing Ive seen in a while :)

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Sue, did you see those lights?? Please someone tell me you did :)
    My partner and I are have just seen four of them.
    Ive heard of these but never ever seen them. Im amazed if these lanterns can go so high..
    feckity heckity.

Myself and my wife saw them last night too, was convinced it was a spaceship :o or something, turns out they are chinese lanterns. I dropped over to the Astronomy & Space forum to find out!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

So anyone in Wexford seeing any snow / rain ??

• Advertisement

Felixdhc wrote: »
    Myself and my wife saw them last night too, was convinced it was a spaceship :o or something, turns out they are chinese lanterns. I dropped over to the Astronomy & Space forum to find out!

yeah, Ive heard of them too over there :) They are amazing arent they? I thought I was seeing some strange fleet at first :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

23Z Dublin TAF gives just a slight chance of light snow showers from 3-7pm tomorrow. No mention of it for Casement.

TAF EIDW 012300Z 0200/0224 27010KT 9999 FEW022 PROB30 0204/0210 0400 FZFG BKN001 PROB30 TEMPO 0215/0219 1500 -SHSN BKN006 BKN017CB BECMG 0219/0221 07008KT=

That's a downgrade from earlier, it was SHSN without the "-" then :(

A quick question to anyone in the know ...

To what extent does lying snow affect air temperatures? I presume it would depend on the wind speed and the extent of the snow covered area., but for argument's sake lets say on a clear calm night in a suburban area with extensive snow cover even on roads/roofs etc

yeah, Ive heard of them too over there :) They are amazing arent they? I thought I was seeing some strange fleet at first :)

Yeah amazing to watch them go up into the air. We were looking out a velux window in the attic which gives a great view of the sky, lots of fireworks for New Years etc and then we saw this orange light rising into the sky silently... then moving in directions that a plane doesn't do, plus a lot slower than a firework & silent - then disappeared into the sky, then another one! We were well confused as to what they were! Have to get some of those!!!

Felixdhc wrote: »
    Yeah amazing to watch them go up into the air. We were looking out a velux window in the attic which gives a great view of the sky, lots of fireworks for New Years etc and then we saw this orange light rising into the sky silently... then moving in directions that a plane doesn't do, plus a lot slower than a firework & silent - then disappeared into the sky, then another one! We were well confused as to what they were! Have to get some of those!!!

Id have thought the cold air would have extinguished them?:)
    Ah well back to watching for snow clouds...

Id have thought the cold air would have extinguished them?:)
    Ah well back to watching for snow clouds...

Nah, pretty still air wouldn't have extinguished them.

Yes, priorities. :)

Rougies wrote: »
    A quick question to anyone in the know ...

To what extent does lying snow affect air temperatures? I presume it would depend on the wind speed and the extent of the snow covered area., but for argument's sake lets say on a clear calm night in a suburban area with extensive snow cover even on roads/roofs etc

Snow cover will have a big effect on temperatures, both at day and night. During the day, the snow reflects the shortwave solar radiation that would otherwise have been absorbed by the ground and emitted as longwave radiation, warming the air. At night, the minimum temperature will be lower due to a few facts:

1) The air is already cold from the daytime for the reason above.
    2) Melting of the snow layer takes heat from the air, so depending on the relative humidity, the air temperature could drop a couple of degrees by this process alone. The lower the humdity, the more melting, thus the lower the temperature.
    3) The snow layer insulates the air from heat radiating from the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

t|nt|n wrote: »
    So anyone in Wexford seeing any snow / rain ??

Nothing here in Gorey so far, will post as soon as something hits.

Snow cover will have a big effect on temperatures, both at day and night. During the day, the snow reflects the shortwave solar radiation that would otherwise have been absorbed by the ground and emitted as longwave radiation, warming the air. At night, the minimum temperature will be lower due to a few facts:

1) The air is already cold from the daytime for the reason above.
    2) Melting of the snow layer takes heat from the air, so depending on the relative humidity, the air temperature could drop a couple of degrees by this process alone. The lower the humdity, the more melting, thus the lower the temperature.
    3) The snow layer insulates the air from heat radiating from the ground.

Excellent, thanks! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

-3.5c here now, DP of -4.3c. My wind vein must be frozen in place as its been pointing SSW the past couple of hours! :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement