Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion [Happy New Year]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Snowshoe Sam

Just taken a quick trip outside. Very still and calm with some high cloud and a haziness around the moon, but lots of stars visible.

Feels a little milder than earlier on. The air does not have so much of a "bite" to it.

Alas, no sign of any more snow though...... :(

Have the showers that were headed this way passed off?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Looks like it's missed Gorey but the tip of Rosslare and Wexford town should be getting a spattering right about now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

Just taken a quick trip outside. Very still and calm with some high cloud and a haziness around the moon, but lots of stars visible.

Feels a little milder than earlier on. The air does not have so much of a "bite" to it.

Alas, no sign of any more snow though...... :(

Have the showers that were headed this way passed off?

They never really got there in the first place, just clipping the east coast. Rosslare area might see something.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

-3.5c here now, DP of -4.3c. My wind vein must be frozen in place as its been pointing SSW the past couple of hours! :p

Maybe stop sticking your arm in the same direction the whole time ;););)

That was a terribly spelling joke, I do apologise lol !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

100529.png

• Advertisement

Does anyone think that snow off the isle of man might yet get here?
    is it still a possibility?
    Thanks.

I think Im calling it a day now. This waiting for snow is exhausting :0
    Nite all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

t|nt|n wrote: »
    Maybe stop sticking your arm in the same direction the whole time ;););)

That was a terribly spelling joke, I do apologise lol !!!

Haha :D

emmm......

I dont get it? :p

Jake1 wrote: »
    Does anyone think that snow off the isle of man might yet get here?
    is it still a possibility?
    Thanks.

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp
    There's no snow there. There aren't any showers forming in the Irish Sea at the moment.

Haha :D

emmm......

I dont get it? :p

Hang on... drawing a diagram.... lol !!!! :p;)

• Advertisement

t|nt|n wrote: »
    Hang on... drawing a diagram.... lol !!!! :p;)

Oh har dee har! :P Vein, vane.......they're both the same thing.....sort of :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭cocoemma

guys popped outside there and it's reading -4 it v.cold out the sky is clear no snow showers tonight.. the roads will be very bad tomorrow

Oh har dee har! :P Vein, vane.......they're both the same thing.....sort of :pac:

LOL !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I've missed out on much of the action of the last 2 days. Well at least Dublin got a theoretical fall of snow. By snow I mean a nasty hail/snowflakes mix.

Has it been accepted then that John Eagleton's forecast was correct?? And that the Celtic Sea LP dragged air from a mainly Western Europe source and over a North Sea and Irish Sea that's still fairly warm?

I'm quite annoyed as to seeing wintry weather goes. I haven't seen snow fall since February this year. When I was up beyond Coleraine, it was dry and pretty bright. Saw a 5 minute hail shower just before I left. Then I came back here, to find the snow showers have been and gone:mad:

The last of the charts that I saw on Wednesday indicated that the wind direction would be more northerly/NWerly than predicted, but this is taking the biscuit. I did expect plentiful showers on Thursday daytime onwards before the wind turned too northerly...

Finally, Dublin Bus cancelling all their services tonight?!?! On the majority of routes (all without any steep slopes, especially the northside ones) there was no problem with driving if it was done slowly. Healty and Safety my ass, the only thing that would have caused an accident on some routes was bad driving.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Su Campu reckoned we mite see something pop up to the west of the Isle of Man

Met.ie Radar is showing nothing at the moment but you never know !

On a side not M2 buoy DP has risen to 3.2 and air temp is 6.7

Here in Newbridge

A tasty -4.2 Temp

DP -5.3

Lowest Temp last year in this location was -5.1, I think it could be beaten tonight

Su Campu wrote: »
    I'm going to hedge my bets and say we're going to see some precipitation come up on the radar in the next hour, just west of the Isle of Mann, which may affect the Dublin area. The 700hPa winds are briefly turning northeasterly, which will give a larger sea fetch, which might generate something. They have been northerly all day.

100508.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Rambling rose

Eagerly awaiting a snow shower. Managed to escape for far too long. Any chance weather watchers? Make my new year with some good news....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

I've missed out on much of the action of the last 2 days. Well at least Dublin got a theoretical fall of snow. By snow I mean a nasty hail/snowflakes mix.

Has it been accepted then that John Eagleton's forecast was correct?? And that the Celtic Sea LP dragged air from a mainly Western Europe source and over a North Sea and Irish Sea that's still fairly warm?

I'm quite annoyed as to seeing wintry weather goes. I haven't seen snow fall since February this year. When I was up beyond Coleraine, it was dry and pretty bright. Saw a 5 minute hail shower just before I left. Then I came back here, to find the snow showers have been and gone:mad:

The last of the charts that I saw on Wednesday indicated that the wind direction would be more northerly/NWerly than predicted, but this is taking the biscuit. I did expect plentiful showers on Thursday daytime onwards before the wind turned too northerly...

Finally, Dublin Bus cancelling all their services tonight?!?! On the majority of routes (all without any steep slopes, especially the northside ones) there was no problem with driving if it was done slowly. Healty and Safety my ass, the only thing that would have caused an accident on some routes was bad driving.

Well you obviously missed out because the Snow in South Dublin last night was big thick dry beautiful flakes !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Our boiler broke down so there its freezing in the house :mad: At least there is snow tho :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Here in Athlone, currently -4.5 with a dew point of -9.7 no less.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

The snow needs to go away! I'm due a baby in a few days and i cant even get out of my yard at the moment eeeeeeeeeeekkkkkkkkk!

• Advertisement

Eagerly awaiting a snow shower. Managed to escape for far too long. Any chance weather watchers? Make my new year with some good news....

Not tonight anyway, maybe, and thats a big maybe you might be in with a chance tomorrow evening.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

-5.4 here at the moment. There is still a freezing fog around . . . very eery with the bright moon! Everything has turned white.

Theoretical fall of snow? There's 1-2 inches lying here in south dublin!

The event the Eagle was forecasting is over, we are in a diifferent situation now.

I was in the same boat as you yesterday, I was close to throwing my PC out the window due to lack of snow! Patience.

There are some good easterlys forecast in the models as well as north/northwesterlies. Patience.

Seriously, the roads in dublin are trecherous. What ever about a car having a little slide, imagine a bus full of people losing control on a bend :eek: It's the council's fault for not gritting the roads. In fairness, the snow last night wasn't expected to be so heavy and they're probably low on resources, but they are still to blame. It's funny how much disruption a simple oul snow shower can cause in this city :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Rambling rose

Not tonight anyway, maybe, and thats a big maybe you might be in with a chance tomorrow evening.

fingers & toes crossed. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 34 eireanbo

will longford be in for anymore snow anyone no...dont think i could deal with the roads being that bad again roads are still bad in places here...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Well was there much of it? I don't live in south County Dublin. The radar looked like you guys got more of it alright. I just wish I saw some!!

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭MetLuver

eireanbo wrote: »
    will longford be in for anymore snow anyone no...dont think i could deal with the roads being that bad again roads are still bad in places here...

you may have some tomorrow from that trough coming down south, maybe only light flurries or freezing rain

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭gothwalk

Maynooth currently has -3.7C, bright moonlight on lying snow, and me unable to sleep. This is mostly due to sleeping until noon, rather than any weather related excitement, though you'd think two long walks today would have tired me out.

Its not feeling that cold in Naas... though I know it is !!!

Skies are clear but the snow doesn't seem to be freezing on the surface

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Snowman10

Walking home from the foundry last night and it was snowing, graigue bridge was fair slippy

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement