Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion [Happy New Year]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭francosp

Lads,

Im supposed to be traveling in the morning and as wondering if there could be disruption at Dublin airport in the morning. I know the snow chance for tonight looks small but the way the temps seem at the minute I'm not sure if there could be possible delays due to severe frost/ice ?

Bit of cloud here too. Im optimistic. I didnt think wed get any last night but we did :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

irish1967 wrote: »
    Weather makes first story on 9pm news. Not a word last week when up here was at a standstill. I don't know... I just don't know :|

Because the capital was almost brought to a standstill today because of the freeze! Population matters :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Weather makes first story on 9pm news. Not a word last week when up here was at a standstill. I don't know... I just don't know :|
    In fairness to them ,they have had it as a main story or thereabouts for a good few weeks now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

Hurry, the car is leaving in 10 mins!!
    Good man.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Theres a thin layer of high cloud here in this part of the east which is preventing temps from dropping too much.
    They've been sub zero since 4pm and largely varying from -1c to -1.4c with dp about a degree lower.

That's cloud's at around 450hPa. The GFS has it clearing before 06Z so still scope for temperatures to drop before sunrise....not that sunrise makes much difference at this time of the year.

Looks like tomorrows front could be more of a feature.

Itensity increased again on 18z GFS

Mixing with some less cold air although could be cold enough.

Some really cold air following it tomorrow night and Sunday AM.

Rtavn362.png

Raining/Sleeting here right now , suprised its not snowing, it was freezing hard up till this ,so does this mean it will freeze on impact?

francosp wrote: »
    Lads,

Im supposed to be traveling in the morning and as wondering if there could be disruption at Dublin airport in the morning. I know the snow chance for tonight looks small but the way the temps seem at the minute I'm not sure if there could be possible delays due to severe frost/ice ?

From the latest Snowtam it would seem that there should be no disruption in the morning as all runways and taxiways have been sprayed, after lying snow today.

SNOWTAM
    A) EIDW B) 01012005
    C) 10 F) 1/1/1 G) XX/XX/XX H) 90/83/77 SKH
    T) RWY 10/28 HAS BEEN SPRAYED
    ASSOCIATED TWYS HAVE BEEN SPRAYED AND ARE PRESENTLY DAMP)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

It is times like this I wish we had a 24 news channel

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Su Campu wrote: »
    That's cloud's at around 450hPa. The GFS has it clearing before 06Z so still scope for temperatures to drop before sunrise....not that sunrise makes much difference at this time of the year.
    I don't think the cloud fully accounts for lack of drop in temp and despite surface wind from NW, I feel there must be some maritime air in the mix here.

0.9/-2.0C

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Watching that front sliding down over Scotland. Come to daddy !!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Because the capital was almost brought to a standstill today because of the freeze! Population matters :D

Lol, almost? :P

Mothman wrote: »
    I don't think the cloud fully accounts for lack of drop in temp and despite surface wind from NW, I feel there must be some maritime air in the mix here.

0.9/-2.0C

Yes there is

Rtavn122.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Not really. People can only experience hardship individually regardless of how many people live around you. Dublin, rather than population, matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭patneve

the latest GFS charts for Tuesday show potential for serious snowfall on the E coast ;)

Yes that rain/ sleet shower has frozen over already, things are danegrous out there. take care people. Was expecting snow with that shower :(

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭cocoemma

patneve wrote: »
    the latest GFS charts for Tuesday show potential for serious snowfall on the E coast ;)

Hello all, Happy New Year...

In kildare, does anyone know if snow is due here tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The 18z has significantly increased the ppn over Ireland from Sun-Tues, so much so that widespread snow looks possible
    If this happens coupled with almost constant freezing will lead to the country closing down imo

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

Certainly a very interesting GFS run in terms of precipitation distribution..

Snowfall could well occur next week, rather widely, especially when you look at the latest UKMO Fax Charts issued from Bracknell:

T+96 - Next Tuesday 12 Hrs

The occluded front (which in itself could well give snowfall) has now cleared the south coast, with a Polar Trough coming down along the East of the country, stretching a good bit inland also:

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ukmo2.php?ech=96&carte=2000

T+120 - Next Wednesday 12 Hrs

The above trough has cleared the south coast, while an area of low pressure is centred in the Irish Sea, with Northeasterly winds ;)

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ukmo2.php?ech=120&carte=2000

SA :)

• Advertisement

Latest ECM chart for next Wed morning:

100503.jpg

Looks bitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭dbyrne

Spent Christmas in Donegal and it wasnt fun with the ice and snow. I can understand why the Donegal council can say they have no grit or salt as they have had this weather for the last 2 - 3 weeks. Spent last sunday with no water before we left to go back to dublin and there are still people without proper water supply still.
    Had to go into work today, here in south dublin and south dublin have not gritted the roads at all. Was talking to a lad up at the Merry ploughboy and he said that the council had stopped gritting the roads over christmas as they have no money, this is the first day of snow in dublin and nothing has been done, which is disgraceful. There were no gritters out last night, there were no gritters out today and I am just back in and i havnt seen a gritter at all this evening. You wonder why we pay taxes, business etc pay rates and the councils waste our money and dont provide basic services

What are we going to do if this weather stays and the council doest grit the roads?????

Anyone following that convection in the south Irish Sea? It's taken a turn towards the extreme southeast coast in the last hour, following a slight kink in the 700hPa flow. It could just clip Wexford or Rosslare in the next hour or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

cocoemma wrote: »
    Hello all, Happy New Year...

In kildare, does anyone know if snow is due here tonight?

No chance in Kildare I'd imagine.

Latest ECM chart for next Wed morning:

What about it???? :D

EDIT: Oh, the chart's appeared now, sorry!

What about it???? :D

Posted up post before I linked chart. :o:o:o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭cocoemma

No chance in Kildare I'd imagine.

ah feck it... it'll prob snow when i'm due in work.... sods law!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭arctictree

dbyrne wrote: »
    Spent Christmas in Donegal and it wasnt fun with the ice and snow. I can understand why the Donegal council can say they have no grit or salt as they have had this weather for the last 2 - 3 weeks. Spent last sunday with no water before we left to go back to dublin and there are still people without proper water supply still.
    Had to go into work today, here in south dublin and south dublin have not gritted the roads at all. Was talking to a lad up at the Merry ploughboy and he said that the council had stopped gritting the roads over christmas as they have no money, this is the first day of snow in dublin and nothing has been done, which is disgraceful. There were no gritters out last night, there were no gritters out today and I am just back in and i havnt seen a gritter at all this evening. You wonder why we pay taxes, business etc pay rates and the councils waste our money and dont provide basic services

What are we going to do if this weather stays and the council doest grit the roads?????

Thats mad. My brother in law drives one of the gritter trucks for Wicklow CC. He has been out non stop for the last two weeks. In fact, they are out gritting at the moment. Can't believe Dublin CC are not doing the same...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭arctictree

Anyone following that convection in the south Irish Sea? It's taken a turn towards the extreme southeast coast in the last hour, following a slight kink in the 700hPa flow. It could just clip Wexford or Rosslare in the next hour or two.

Yep, if only it was 25 miles further east. It could clip the coast south of Wicklow to Rosslare.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Yes there is

Rtavn122.png

Was wondering why the temps weren't dropping. Been stuck around -1.3c for hours now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement