Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Freeze Discussion [Happy New Year]

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

rc28 wrote: »
    Wow, didn't see any mention of that in the earlier forecast - they really do change their minds a lot! Loving this weather:D

Yeah some feckin rollercoaster, nearly finished all my January wine stash and its only the 1st!

Be interesting to see the weather after the news this evening, depending I suppose also on who is presenting.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

owenc wrote: »
    were are you hearing this from far to cold for sleet id like to think

actually i meant to quote weathercheck who said "Looking at the next few days, there will be a weak band moving south tomorrow with some sleet and snow likely, then we have winds veering from North to East for 7 days or more"

also michael mcauliffe talking about band of rain/sleet/snow 2mor more focused on ulster/connaught

Does anyone see any snow for West Dublin this evening?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

inabina wrote: »
    actually i meant to quote weathercheck who said "Looking at the next few days, there will be a weak band moving south tomorrow with some sleet and snow likely, then we have winds veering from North to East for 7 days or more"

also michael mcauliffe talking about band of rain/sleet/snow 2mor more focused on ulster/connaught

yea i think this should all be snow as temps are below 0c nearly everywhere and anything that falls will settle if it settles through the day it will through nighttime hopefully:D

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

rc28 wrote: »
    Thanks SA for your, as ever, informative and well-put together posts. Is this a new feature that has appeared in the charts for tomorrow? ie have Met E taken this into account in their forecasts? Why are the conditions suddenly marginal for snow again- I thought we were well under the cold upper air by now?

No problem rc28, thanks also.

In essence, it has been showing up for some time, within the past 24-48 hours but it's still uncertain as to how potent it will be, or as to the amount of warm air in the mix.

I don't know what to make of the Met Eireann forecasts because the radio forecast certainly sounds a bit different to the online ones, with less of a mention of persistent snowfall tomorrow. I think it will be a case of watching the radar & seeing it's exact track..

Conditions are only a small bit more marginal because this feature will have a certain amount of warmer air associated with it, after developing over the North Sea, which is still relatively warm as of yet.

Also, the 6PM Radio forecast mentioned the threat of more sustained snowfall in Northern and Eastern areas from Tuesday onwards.

SA :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

One dry night, good to freeze up the snowbase good and solid for the action later.
    This could become epic :D

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

why the chance of sleet tomorrow? bit of warmer air in this polar low?

A trough requires energy generated from a temperature imbalance. There is always a warm sector, usually small, of varying mildness. It's normally a bit of rouge heat brought in off the Atlantic. However temperatures and sea temperatures are so cold at this stage that the "mild sector" is infact very cold aswell. Just not as cold. It could be just snow tomorrow - or there could be sleet, possibly rain temporarilly. The winds go Northeast and that is why the Leinster coast is at risk tomorrow night and some flurries on Sunday. With the ground temperatures so cold with all the ice and snow on them anything that falls is going to settle even hail or sleet - which if anthing is more treacherous then just snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Johnaldinioh

hating weather at the moment cant take the bike out what a balls and after selling my car hopefully it will go away soon enough :(:(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Evelyn Cusack was just on the news...perhaps clarifying the slight change in forecast from 1pm. She said a (weak) band of sleet/snow would affect ulster, connaught and the northern half of leinster tomorrow.

So I guess that's where the more widespread forecast of snow for tomorrow comes from.

darkman2 wrote: »
    A trough requires energy generated from a temperature imbalance. There is always a warm sector, usually small, of varying mildness. It's normally a bit of rouge heat brought in off the Atlantic. However temperatures and sea temperatures are so cold at this stage that the "mild sector" is infact very cold aswell. Just not as cold. It could be just snow tomorrow - or there could be sleet, possibly rain temporarilly. The winds go Northeast and that is why the Leinster coast is at risk tomorrow night and some flurries on Sunday. With the ground temperatures so cold with all the ice and snow on them anything that falls is going to settle even hail or sleet - which if anthing is more treacherous then just snow.

so we could have hail or rain even in ulster?

• Advertisement

owenc wrote: »
    yea i think this should all be snow as temps are below 0c nearly everywhere and anything that falls will settle if it settles through the day it will through nighttime hopefully:D

yep hopefully but i just recall some bad experiences with polar lows where we all expect snow and then temps go up 1 or 2 degrees.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭paddybar

-2.2 here with a freezing fog down for the last 3 hrs

yep hopefully but i just recall some bad experiences with polar lows where we all expect snow and then temps go up 1 or 2 degrees.:o

yea that happens here all the time but this time i think we have a good chance as everything is frozen totally..... there now when i went out and looked at the snow i opened the window and icicles were hanging of it as well as this on the ledge it was so cold that you could see the individual flakes at a safe condition not even melted.. the flakes are so dry too when they fall out of the sky and touch the ground they actually brake up!

a perfect explanation! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Evelyn Cusack seems to think the northern half of the country is set for a dusting of snow tomorrow evening, said it'll prob fizzle out a bit as it goes south but im hopeful :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just saw the forcast :( not a glimmer of hope. -9 in west Cork.

mike65 wrote: »
    Just saw the forcast :( not a glimmer of hope. -9 in west Cork.

-9 already??:eek:

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

The met have now changed their forecast again for Dublin - earlier it was as per the general Leinster forecast but it has now downgraded as follows..
    Dublin
    01 January 2010- updated at 18:00
    Tonight

Very cold. Frost and ice persisting. Dry. Mainly clear skies.

Tomorrow

Mainly dry with sunny spells but continuing very cold. Risk of wintry showers late in the day or after dark.
    http://www.met.ie/forecasts/regional.asp?Prov=Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Christmas card scenes all day here near Kill Village, North Kildare - temp never got above -2C with 5cm of lying snow = Great stuff and plenty more to come:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

-9 already??:eek:

Might be, the latest readingfor Cork airport! :eek:

CORK AIRPORT n/a n/a - n/a - n/a n/a n/a n/a

Frozen solid! :p

• Advertisement

ECM is coming out now.

Out to 120hrs (Wednesday)

Recm1201.gif

That's pretty disruptive for alot of the country especially the east with plenty of snow showers.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Newbridge

Temp -3.4

DP -4.6

And for anyone keeping an eye on the M2 buoy

Temp

DP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

Does the east look like it's going to get a lot more on tuesday/wednesday?

Have a really important appointment to get to other side of Dublin, tuesday afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

Might be, the latest readingfor Cork airport! :eek:

CORK AIRPORT n/a n/a - n/a - n/a n/a n/a n/a

...Hey Jude :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Rougies wrote: »
    ...Hey Jude :D

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Never seen the temp drop like it is doing tonight. Its now -5.1c and still falling. Had -7.1c this morning when i went to work at 6.45am. Reckon we'll pass that and be up with the -11c we had last wednesday morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

It isn't a Polar low, but one of those would be nice. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

ECM is coming out now.
    That's pretty disruptive for alot of the country especially the east with plenty of snow showers.

Despite everything the last few weeks have taught me about the difficulties of seeing perfect conditions for snow on our luke warm rock, I can feel myself getting sucked in, yet again. Thanks Darkman ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

I should have bet money on Waterford being the only place NOT to get snow !!!! Its verging on ridiculous now !! :(:mad:

• Advertisement

NP - ECM at 192 is "interesting" and extremely cold for Ireland throughout with very very low temperatures and snow mostly in the East toward the end of next week as pressure rises. Still this would produce flurries and exceptionally low temperatures.

Quite extraordinary

Recm1921.gif

Record low temperatures inland?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement