Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Happy Christmas Freeze Discussion

Options
  • 25-12-2009 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭

Iced over and rock hard here now.

-5c

The weather charts also indicate the cold clinging on for the forseable future, could this just be the start of things?

Hope everybody has a great Christmas.;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Happy Christmas all, hopefully some will see snow for a time today. As for after this weeeknd well it looks good maybe really good but its still FI

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Just walked down the lane to leave some sweeties for the children and the road is solid ice; crept along the crunchy snow at the side. No water at all here now...

I owe you guys a big thank you as it was your warnings that had me buying in water before this started.

Would be melting snow else...

So I am heeding what you say now ;)

But it is so utterly beautiful and will be sorry in some ways to see it go; not in others though!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

According to the met radar rain belt just to the west of me now, going to be interesting to see what happens here, air temp -5.1c and ground temp -9.3c! No sign of any cloud yet either!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Merry Christmas to all! :D
    Just seen the bbc forecast ,it was very good, showing a good deal of snow for ireland , 2inches and double that in the hills ,she said it will snow for several hours!
    And the forecast for the next week is delicous just look at met eireanns site ;)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Yeah, Its Cold out. i dont have any fancy gizmos, but the ass imprint on my driveway is proof that its icey and slippy.

Stupid ice :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Shannon reporting light rain at 9am and -2c! Just shows you probably how thin the cold layer is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Shannon reporting light rain at 9am and -2c! Just shows you probably how thin the cold layer is.
    Was just about to post the Shannon obs.
    Driving conditions may the worst in many peoples memory with everything ice with rain falling on frozen surface.
    -3C here and sunny

now cloudied up here, very dark skys as well. No percip yet, interseting, still -4.9c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Sky news seems to think the east coast massive are going to get a good bit of snow today.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

Happy Chrsitmas folks! Mothman- what are the chances of that band of percipitation approaching the east falling as snow in wicklow later?

• Advertisement

Is there the opposite of a "thanks to" sign please?

We need some break up here; fine for those who have been able to get out and restock etc..

Thank you!

:mad: :confused: :eek:

Pangea wrote: »
    Merry Christmas to all! :D
    Just seen the bbc forecast ,it was very good, showing a good deal of snow for ireland , 2inches and double that in the hills ,she said it will snow for several hours!
    And the forecast for the next week is delicous just look at met eireanns site ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Christmas morning.

Dublin Airport -6c

Casement -8c

All at 9am :eek:

Reason why this precip will turn to rain is if 850hpas go above say -1c, which they are expected to over the south and up the southeast.

Snow from Meath northwards i would say.

Also shows how wrong even the meso GFS can be, illustrating temps should be +2c here now,

so it shows to take them always with abit of salt

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Met Office for NI, upgraded

Flash Weather Warning

Issued 09:00 25/12/2009

Heavy snow is forecast to affect many areas today, 5 - 10 cm is possible with more over high ground.

Snow will continue into this evening then clear to leave icy conditions and wintery showers these may be of rain or sleet in the south and west.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The thaw has just set in here in the wesht in the past hour , thank God :)

falling as rain/sleet and not in large amounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Leeside

Heavy rain in Cork. Surprised at how quickly it came after such a severe night frost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

-4.1C & raining. Pity, was hoping for a few flakes before my winter wonderland melts

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Persistent rain here at the moment.

snowing here in mayo, nothing to get excited about, the real small fine flakes. Still -4.9c here

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Leeside

Should the title of the thread be "snow turning to rain" rather than the other way around?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

snaps wrote: »
    snowing here in mayo, nothing to get excited about, the real small fine flakes. Still -4.9c here

it should get heavier after a while

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The thaw has just set in here in the wesht in the past hour , thank God :)

falling as rain/sleet and not in large amounts.

if you don't mind me asking, where are you exactly?

wind is getting up and strangely coming from the east now?

Leeside wrote: »
    Should the title of the thread be "snow turning to rain" rather than the other way around?

yes, because it will turn to rain everywhere bar ulster and high ground further south

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

-3 degrees here and it is chucking it down with rain. never seen the like of it when the rain hits the ground it freezes. its like walking on glass while wearing rollerskates.

if you don't mind me asking, where are you exactly?
    Sponge bob is in limerick city area.

meanwhile brilliant sunshine here ..
    Temp up to -1.6c
    dp -2.3c

snaps wrote: »
    wind is getting up and strangely coming from the east now?
    Thats why you have snow.
    Once it goes SW,you will start to see the change.

Thats why you have snow.
    Once it goes SW,you will start to see the change.

yes sadly:(

though at least before it changes the snow should be fairly heavy

meanwhile it has just started snowing lightly...:D

• Advertisement

clouding over rapidly here.
    Sun now obscured.

-1.1c
    dp -1.8c
    Flat calm

Advertisement