Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Happy Christmas Freeze Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,722 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Despite a current temp of -2.8c, it has just started to rain. It is freezing rain though as even on the window it has turned to pure ice. Other than that, it is a glorious morning. No snow but everything is vivid white. Wind chill is quite severe. :)

damn sorry to hear it's not snowing, but as a weather fan i'm sure seeing freezing rain, which is a rare occurrence here, is some consolation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Snaps and nach-that snow has to be settling well??

@ Owen-it is technically possible that the band will stay as snow with you.
    It depends on too may unknowns to be honest but possible.
    The showers behind though will have the warmer air in them.
    Clear nights will see a freeze.

well the meto etc are only gonig for the temps to warm up to 1/2c then go back below freezing again on monday!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭squonk

Tired of thisidiotic 'will I get snow' stuff. Unless you are in NI or up a mountain you won't get anything lieing. That's pointless. Anyway, here in North Clare we had freezing rain for an hour and a half. Now it has stopped and the band has gone through. The sun is coming out but surfaces are treacherous. Rain wasn't overly heavy either so you'll a get damn all snow anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Nothing to report here beyond the gradually thickening cloud cover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

I'm curious. What's the difference between freeezing rain and hail?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

damn sorry to hear it's not snowing, but as a weather fan i'm sure seeing freezing rain, which is a rare occurrence here, is some consolation.

I don't mind either way Nacho, the sheer rare beauty of the morning negates everything. Frost is about 2cm thick and it is even weighing down the palm tress out the back. As I type, a couple of snowflakes observed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

-5 here with lite rain, freezing on impact, everything still white so technically a white christmas:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,335 ✭✭✭naughto

snowing heavely here

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

hail is white and freezing rain is clear, reckon its done by rain falling through cold air and freezing while coming down. Still snowing here with some freezing rain mixed in! still -1.8c as well.

spadder wrote: »

Freezing rain is just rain that freezes instantly on impact creating ice rink conditions on roads and paths and icicles on wires and so forth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

I've just returned from work as i did a night shift. Skibbereen wasn't too bad but inland round Dunmanway, all the roads are covered with a thick sheet of ice. Cars are sliding all over the place and ending up in the ditch. I had to walk the last 100 yards in town hanging on to garden walls etc as the footpaths are frozen over. The heavy rain is turning to ice as soon as it hits the ground. My garden gate was covered in ice and frozen solid. THis is the worst it has been all week.:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

spadder wrote: »

Freezing rain falls as rain but as soon as it hits the ground and any surface it instantly freezes. It can be very dangerous if the rain is heavier - will weigh down on everything from telephone lines to twigs on trees and wil, obviously, create dangerous driving conditions. Google it.

Meanwhile it's a stunning Christmas morning here at -7c. Everything is white and beautiful with some sun peeking through. Cloud all over the western sky though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭roryc1

Happy Christmas all
    Looks like we have an interesting day ahead of us, but i would have thought there would be more snow reports from this band moving across the country,
    That freezing rain sound crazy never seen that before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

rc28 wrote: »
    Freezing rain falls as rain but as soon as it hits the ground and any surface it instantly freezes. It can be very dangerous if the rain is heavier - will weigh down on everything from telephone lines to twigs on trees and wil, obviously, create dangerous driving conditions. Google it.

Meanwhile it's a stunning Christmas morning here at -7c. Everything is white and beautiful with some sun peeking through. Cloud all over the western sky though.

ICE storm!!! Losing your power before your turkey is cooked would be a rough

looks good for us in terms of snow with the band over galways having no rain in it so far over the next hour we will see how things will looks when it gets here if it stays like it is now things will be good!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,722 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

drat and double drat

there is rain and snow in the mix now

owenc wrote: »
    looks good for us in terms of snow with the band over galways

There is more than one Galway? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

WEB_radar_200912251045.gif

Rain stopped in West Limerick, still overcast.
    Roads are treacherous were the previous days compacted ice has not yet melted.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭whitemocha

happy christmas all

anyway check this out seems t be alot of snow west and midlands now please make your way to dublin thanks:D:D;)

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Looking out the door now in Castletroy, there had been freezing rain for the past hour or so, very light amounts throughout that time that gave a nice 3-5mm of solid ice on the tarmac and steps. However right now it's properly raining, with little streams of runoff digging channels through the ice cover. Looks likely that I'll actually be able to drive out of the estate in an hour or so.
    Freezing rain is definitely strange! There's no sun breaking through, all of the thaw is from warmer air temperatures combined with the rainfall.
    It's a pity to see the snow go away - it's fun.

Merry christmas to all!

• Advertisement

Popoutman wrote: »
    Looking out the door now in Castletroy, there had been freezing rain for the past hour or so, very light amounts throughout that time that gave a nice 3-5mm of solid ice on the tarmac and steps. However right now it's properly raining, with little streams of runoff digging channels through the ice cover. Looks likely that I'll actually be able to drive out of the estate in an hour or so.
    Freezing rain is definitely strange! There's no sun breaking through, all of the thaw is from warmer air temperatures combined with the rainfall.
    It's a pity to see the snow go away - it's fun.

Merry christmas to all!

i really will go mad if that happens here after 6 days of snow ice and cold nights!:mad:
    anyone with any snow is it heavy?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,472 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

whitemocha wrote: »
    happy christmas all

anyway check this out seems t be alot of snow west and midlands now please make your way to dublin thanks:D:D;)

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Thats falling as rain over me anyway!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

looking very like christmas here in monaghan town currently -6 snow still on ground from earlier in week extremely frosty but clouding over looking like snow again:D

Thats falling as rain over me anyway!:o

it shows that on the radar:P so that gives us a hint how good this radar hopefully should be:D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Folks, I have to drive from Dun Laoghaire to Bray and my friend from Ballsbridge to Kilmacanogue (North Wicklow) today. Any idea what time we would need to leave before to avoid the dangerous road conditions or would it even be bad around the East Coast? I'm not the best at reading these charts :o

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Magnum

Rain here in Tipp Town................

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

stopped here now, so that band has passed. very non eventfull unless another band is coming in. its getting brighter as well now! snow has settled, but barely a covering.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

An hour or so of rain, not impacted the ice on the roads though, less snow on the ground now though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭whitemocha

owenc wrote: »
    it shows that on the radar:P so that gives us a hint how good this radar hopefully should be:D

it really loks like it will pass us here in dublin and head straight for the north

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

looks like it will snow for a short while around 6 o clock in dublin. 90% chance of it happening but a little late i think.

SNV81823.JPG

Advertisement