Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Happy Christmas Freeze Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Castlebar getting the snow!, Ballinrobe only sprinkles of frozen rain?,Joyce Country Snow!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

snaps wrote: »
    Are you on drugs mate, snow has been reported here, by many of us in mayo area?

yes but according to you its sleety rain snow.... which is no good for me unless its snowing now is it heavy there?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,719 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

it has turned to hail now. the roads are lethal. even at 15 mph i almost skidded:eek:

owenc wrote: »
    yes but according to you its sleety rain snow.... which is no good for me unless its snowing now is it heavy there?:D

no no. it will be snow up with you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭arctictree

Supercell wrote: »
    -0.9°C, will be above 0 by 12:15 at the current rate of rise, this precip better get a move on!

Could be to our advantage that we are on the east side of the mountains. The high land could cool the air down above us sufficiently to stay as snow. Also, the precip has been over cold air for a few hours now...

-0.2c here but slowly rising.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

Had a light shower here in Galway which instantly turned the roads and paths into black ice. Was supposed to visit wife's relatives but took the car for a spin to test the road. That's what I got a spin. Also went straight through the traffic lights with the ABS growling.

Staying put and advice others to do the same until it thaws properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Where exactly are you mate, im in Ballinrobe, reckon you are tuam area?

Yep Snaps, in Tuam, just down the road from you more or less. I agree with you, as a band of rain, it was piss poor even by Atlantic frontal standards. Actually getting notably breezy though from the east.

i hope so because i want a cold ice day again not a warm 2c day like on sunday! then cold on monday again thank god!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,088 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

What a perfect Xmas morning, a very hard frost and a pink sunrise. we dont many xmas morning like this!
    -6c in Dublin last night, I left a tray of water outside for the birds and it was soon frozen over!...... hard to believe that it will wet and up to 5c by evening... but now there's next weeks weather to look forward to!:)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

Fecking raining in Offaly, pissed off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

-8 in Ballymote town, but 2 miles away at the home place its -2.

Doing its best to rain here

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Yep Snaps, in Tuam, just down the road from you more or less. I agree with you, as a band of rain, it was piss poor even by Atlantic frontal standards. Actually getting notably breezy though from the east.

yes noticed the breeze picking up. its blown all the frozen spider webs away, which i was enjoying seeing in the windows! Also the sun is trying to come out here now.

yes i expect that im just worrying incase the temps rise above 0c and it sleets over night or at the backedge!

freezing rain and sleet here. i thought this would be heavier than it is. for an atlantic frontal system this has been a weak affair so far. perhaps there is a more active band to come. if not how could the cold lose out to this weakling:(

yes i expect that im just worrying incase the temps rise above 0c and it sleets over night or at the backedge!

well it will more than likely turn back to sleet or rain before it finishes, but you should have fun for a while:). that's assuming the preciptation doesn't fizzle out before reaching you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Freezing rain in Johnstown Kilkenny at 137m. Lethal out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Have been under this supposed front for about an hour, according to raintoday.
    So far no precip at all, but the temp has risen from -7 at 10 to currently -1

Sligo btw

Edit: spotted a few solitary snowflakes just now

how could the cold lose out to this weakling:(

Perfectly put! :D:D:D
    Anti-climax supreme I totally agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Broke my wrist myself 3 days ago in Galway
    Ice everywhere today means only one thing, carnage

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

All the white is leaving the trees, temp is rising steadily now .08c....now the bad news......Just been to gods fridge for my 1st beer of the day and my stella is frozen! its all slushy!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Temperature rising fairly quickly here too. Was nearly -6C a couple of hours ago, now it's -1!

yes noticed the breeze picking up. its blown all the frozen spider webs away, which i was enjoying seeing in the windows! Also the sun is trying to come out here now.

Remains overcast here but can see brightness to the west. Temp now at -0.4c but feels very cold in the wind out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Just checked the forecast and the BBC are saying heavy snow on Tuesday up here in Armagh. Me mights have to make a dash for Dublin before then :)

well it will more than likely turn back to sleet or rain before it finishes, but you should have fun for a while:). that's assuming the preciptation doesn't fizzle out before reaching you.

erm according to rain today its all snow to the back edge in galway.... just wondering could anyone tell me what is causing the weather to cool down again so i can look out for signs on sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Precisely why I have a bottled gas cooker..:)

Been there too many times..Turkey is roasting nicely and smells wonderful
    spadder wrote: »
    ICE storm!!! Losing your power before your turkey is cooked would be a rough

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Frost all melting now as wind comes slightly from sea here, not even shleet or frozen rain here :o

erm according to rain today its all snow to the back edge in galway.... just wondering could anyone tell me what is causing the weather to cool down again so i can look out for signs on sunday?

once you feel a cold easterly wind on your face that's a good a sign as any!

:o

I think if anyone deserves a good dumping of snow it is Weathercheck. Hopefully next week will up your chances a bit WC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

any know the temp in edenderry co offaly last nigh? looks like the heaviest frost we ever had last night.its fantastic looking this morning.Christmas card perfect!:D fingers crossed for a bit of snow we didnt get any this cold spell.

very happy christmas to ye all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

BBC just forecasted heavy snow for Norn Iron 5-10cm by 3 pm.

Advertisement