Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Happy Christmas Freeze Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭punkindrublic

Light snow just starting now here in an longfort!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Yay, a white Christmas - lovely stuff. :)

It's been snowing on and off here all morning (Here is Castlebar btw), a mix of the nice powdery stuff and the fine sleety stuff.

A nice covering on the ground, but nothing massive - I would say less of a white Christmas than 2004 and 1995(or around then?), but still I'll take it!

Much colder than the other years though.

And just as I type it's started up again!

so going by you the further north you go the more it is falling as snow so it should hopefully be all snow up here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Light snow just starting now here in an longfort!

what is the wind speed. trying to work out how long it will take to get to dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,339 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Wow, tis hammering down with the sneachta now :D

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

owenc wrote: »
    so going by you the further north you go the more it is falling as snow so it should hopefully be all snow up here!

I would say it's looking very good for you at this stage!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

I would say it's looking very good for you at this stage!

yep as long as there is no back edge snow we should get a good 5-10cm!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

zenno wrote: »
    what is the wind speed. trying to work out how long it will take to get to dublin.

Well according to met.ie radar the precipitation is over south Dublin now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

No thaw here in Mayo yet. Rain/Sleet/Snow falling and the ground is rock hard with the snow and ice yet. Wind adding to the chill. My Dad read -11 last night!

The Wicklow snowmen would like to thank the folks out west for delivering us this snow at Christmas :D

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,293 ✭✭✭arctictree

Light snow here. +0.6c

• Advertisement

Dry here 0.3c

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

still dry and very frosty here, waiting for the rain to arrive, I predict rain because if its raining in Offally it will defo be raining here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Good man Joe Bastardi

WELL HERE WE GO AGAIN! SEVERE COLD LOOMING FOR MUCH OF EUROPE FIRST 2 WEEKS OF THE NEW YEAR!

http://www.accuweather.com/ukie/bastardi-europe-blog.asp

Weird conditions, alternating between freezing rain and snow now. The rain makes a funny sound when it hits the ground, never experienced freezing rain before, well cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Supercell wrote: »
    The Wicklow snowmen would like to thank the folks out west for delivering us this snow at Christmas :D

I'm getting rain.. god damn micro climate in Rathdrum.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Its freezing rain and snow mix with Supercell up in the mountains, there isnt a hope for the rest of us in leinster/Dublin. Ah well looks like hopefully we may well get our turn come the new year:)

sleet here

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

sun is now out here in ballinrobe, mayo. Perhaps it'll freeze again 2night?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,293 ✭✭✭arctictree

Turned to rain now, still +0.6c. Very marginal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

owenc wrote: »
    Its dying out now no snow or anything for the north, perhaps a few flurries

• Advertisement

takes one last look at beautifull frosty almost white christmas landscape before it gets washed away:)

and yeah the front dying, it shows precipitation over me now but there is still nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

irishtimes.com - Last Updated: Friday, December 25, 2009, 12:31
    Care urged on icy roads

Motorists have been urged to drive carefully today as dangerous road conditions persist throughout the country.
    Severe frost overnight has left any roads treacherous, while there is freezing fog in many areas.

AA Roadwatch said some road temperatures were as low of -6.5 degrees.

Rain throughout the country is adding to poor conditions, and several minor crashes have already been reported.
    Met Éireann is predicting rain, sleet and snow sopreading across the country by this afternoon, with temperatures rising from below freezing this morning to between 3 and 6 degrees celcius this afternoon.

The cold snap is expected to ease tonight, with temperatures between 0 and 3 degrees celcius.
    While nearly all main roads have been gritted, drivers are being urged to drive cautiously and to allow for 10 times the usual braking distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Thaw is in full swing here in on the Laois/TN/KK border.

Well, looking at the forecast maps that would seem to be the end of the snow for Mayo for now. It was nice while it lasted and from looking at the temps what's fallen won't be thawing for a few hours at least. It's heading north and east, so it looks like the Donegal farmer was on the money!

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Just wonder if anyone could tell me is there likely to be anything out of that second blob showing on the satellite here

http://www.yr.no/satellitt/1.5941760

- the small circular one moving towards the Mayo coast behind the main band?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Nothing up here...heavy clouds rolling in and out and a wind that would take the feathers off hens.

Hard to believe it has come to bringing snow in to melt for water...etc etc etc.. And the coal has frozen in the sack.

Still no thaw...

Never in all my years on an offshore Scottish island did I have to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,981 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Will this rain be going away from wexford town before the day is out? And if so when? I'ts bloody annoyin

moderate rain and very dark

0.5c
    dp is -0.4c
    Wet bulb 0.2c

All academic really.

I guess we could really and truly call this cold rain :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

You mean our Donegal Postman.
    Well, looking at the forecast maps that would seem to be the end of the snow for Mayo for now. It was nice while it lasted and from looking at the temps what's fallen won't be thawing for a few hours at least. It's heading north and east, so it looks like the Donegal farmer was on the money!

Just wonder if anyone could tell me is there likely to be anything out of that second blob showing on the satellite here

http://www.yr.no/satellitt/1.5941760

- the small circular one moving towards the Mayo coast behind the main band?

snaps wrote: »
    Its dying out now no snow or anything for the north, perhaps a few flurries

I would say that as that band meets the colder air going north it is more likely to fall as snow there than it was here, so given that we got some snow, I reckon they can expect a decent dump of the white stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Pete M.

Yeah, similar here near Mullaghmore in Sligo. Tis raining, well drizzle, wind is stiff but not baltic and the frost is starting to clear.

Water has been off since yesterday, so hoping for a thaw so I can enjoy the luxury of running water again. Tis only a pity I can't get it wireless like the interweb....

Advertisement