Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Happy Christmas Freeze Discussion

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

im getting worried now as temps are -10.4c but people are saying it is raining will it turn to rain after snow here would be awful because dont want any snow or ice melting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Some pics from Armagh. Currently minus 3 outside when I took these:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=63647483#post63647483

• Registered Users Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

10:15 West Limerick raining heavily @ 10:15 am
    The white stuff is thawing, slush on the roads through the hills.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

can confirm even how strange this is, its now raining, temp still -4c as well. Ive never witnessed anything like this, Very low temps but rain! Rain freezing instantally on anything it touches. Even the outside of the window its freezing on!

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

-4.1c here in Waterford, foggy and cold obviously.... Awaiting the rain.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Leeside

Really nice pics Grandmaster. Thats the type of scene I've been hoping for the past three weeks. Pity, its gonna be gone very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,696 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

owenc wrote: »
    im getting worried now as temps are -10.4c but people are saying it is raining will it turn to rain after snow here would be awful because dont want any snow or ice melting!

don't worry
    it will start off as snow with you, it could even stay as snow the whole time in Ulster - which it definitely won't do for the those of us further south

snaps wrote: »
    can confirm even how strange this is, its now raining, temp still -4c as well. Ive never witnessed anything like this, Very low temps but rain! Rain freezing instantally on anything it touches. Even the outside of the window its freezing on!

surely of temps -7c downwards in ni it couldnt rain wouldnt this not push the uppers down?:mad::(

damn your dew points to hell

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

zero degrees here, still raining

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Rain is freezing where it lands here also. The ground is a sheet of ice atm

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Bumble32

Heavy rain at the moment here in Cork.:mad:

yes it will turn to rain with you but you should have piled up quite an extra blanket by then.
    The thaw will be slow up there probably.For a while later today you should have a white out.

That didn't last long!

/ awaits hearing from nacho.

Should be snowing at knock airport?

Morning all.
    Very foggy morning in Lucan. The whole place is snow white. its lovely. Its hard to tell where the ground ends and the sky begins.Its just pure white.
    I think we will get some snow here today :)

its freezing rain, like hail but pure ice balls, coming down the chimney at quite a rate, still -2.8c out there, so strange this!

yes it will turn to rain with you but you should have piled up quite an extra blanket by then.
    The thaw will be slow up there probably.For a while later today you should have a white out.

so 10cm that should be good how long should it rain for?:( meto arnt mentioning any rain! ahhhhhh worried to hell! why is going to turn to rain anyway!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭*eadaoin

it started off at -8 here at about 8am, lovely clear skies. it's -4 now and the skies have clouded over with big grey clouds, looks like somethings going to come out of them soon but i'm sorry to see from reports that it might be rain :(

i'm in tipp by the way!

so 10cm that should be good how long should it rain for?:( meto arnt mentioning any rain! ahhhhhh worried to hell! why is going to turn to rain anyway!:mad:

Thats if it gets up to you, the further inland this is getting its getting much weaker.

thank god there'll be few people driving today

• Advertisement

Thats if it gets up to you, the further inland this is getting its getting much weaker.

yea im hoping it snows then fizzles out before the rain comes and gives us another cold night!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Sky news seems to think the east coast massive are going to get a good bit of snow today.

20 euro at 4/1 with boylesports. LET IT SNOW, LET IT SNOW, LET IT SNOW.

That didn't last long!

/ awaits hearing from nacho.

Should be snowing at knock airport?

it's still snowing here.

I don't know your topography/location that well but I wouldnt expect rain to happen at your location untill the back edge of the system comes in.
    The showers that follow will be rain or sleet as the air flow temporarally originates in the gulf of mexico somewhere ie southwesterly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Despite a current temp of -2.8c, it has just started to rain. It is freezing rain though as even on the window it has turned to pure ice. Other than that, it is a glorious morning. No snow but everything is vivid white. Wind chill is quite severe. :)

I don't know your topography/location that well but I wouldnt expect rain to happen at your location untill the back edge of the system comes in.
    The showers that follow will be rain or sleet as the air flow temporarally originates in the gulf of mexico somewhere ie southwesterly.

i wonder if the rain would freeze on top of the snow?

Bloody hell, huge flakes of snow now falling!!!!!! At last snow, snow, snow

the thaw is on here now. i might not even get an hour of snow out of this. still if this is the rehearsal for a big event next week that'll do me:D

it's still snowing here.
    Snaps and nach-that snow has to be settling well??

@ Owen-it is technically possible that the band will stay as snow with you.
    It depends on too mahy unknowns to be honest but possible.
    The showers behind though will have the warmer air in them.
    Clear nights will see a freeze.

Anyhow I'm offline for a few hrs.
    I'll be back if I have anything from here to report!

• Advertisement

one good thing is in the south west near mayo etc ( dont know what down there is called galway?) it looks like the snow is staying as snow and intenifying and not turning to rain hopefully itll stay the same here....

Advertisement