Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tedious Bickering

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭short circuit

ROK ON wrote: »
    @shortc. What is the new frame?
    Have you ditched the Orbea?

@ROK ON ... Orbea is temporarily donating parts to the new winter bike. It will be built back up for the summer with SRAM grouppo. I always wanted SRAM Rival on it .. but went with Ultegra SL because they had it in stock in white (important) and in my size.

The parts are being moved to a Winter bike .. Surly Cross check frame .. + building with donated parts from Orbea and others ... mud guards ... wide tyres etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Surly Cross check frame

Excellent choicde :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Jawgap wrote: »
    Are paths and going the wrong way on one way streets out of bounds?

Who is doing the doping controls?

Is it UCI approved now !!

If so can Mockler and El Tonto please get their where abouts forms in so the out of competition testing can start ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Is this really still epic?? At one stage there was a suggestion of a cannonball-style race across Dublin for pink slips or 2k - now its a race for a 50 yoyo donation - I think the epic-ness has evaporated?

I think any time two men meet at noon on the top of a hill to settle a dispute through physical means - that's epic. If anything 'pink slips' cheapened the whole thing a bit; duels are fought for honour not for gain. Is everlasting ignominy not high enough stakes?

I plan on bringing a cam too. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

RobFowl wrote: »

If so can Mockler and El Tonto please get their where abouts forms in so the out of competition testing can start ;)

UCI Approved!!!

You're taking the pi$$!!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Itsfixed

Races like this fill me with dread
    But this is definitely a super thread

Sorry :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

For morons like myself who cant work out whats going on, and dont have the time or inclination to wade through 276 replies, can someone please explain in laymans terms (minus in-jokes or references to previous postings) to me what this race is for, who's racing, and when & where its happening? Thanks muchly.

I also think you should stick it up in a separate post. I missed out on the Lance Armstrong ride in the Phoenix Park because I didnt read the 'Lance Watch' thread (I just assumed it was people following his racing exploits abroad). People might come along to see a fun race, but might not be so bothered reading a thread with the word "bickering" in the title.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

flickerx wrote: »
    For morons like myself who cant work out whats going on, and dont have the time or inclination to wade through 276 replies, can someone please explain in laymans terms (minus in-jokes or references to previous postings) to me what this race is for, who's racing, and when & where its happening? Thanks muchly.

I also think you should stick it up in a separate post. I missed out on the Lance Armstrong ride in the Phoenix Park because I didnt read the 'Lance Watch' thread (I just assumed it was people following his racing exploits abroad). People might come along to see a fun race, but might not be so bothered reading a thread with the word "bickering" in the title.

No. You must read the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

@flickerx - You get out of this forum what you're prepared to put in... you don't think Lumen got to be local chieftain by casually assuming he knew what a thread contained by its title do you? No. He's been sitting there hitting F5 every sixty seconds since 2006, and blorg has been at it even longer.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,598 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I thought only a "dope" test was required (what odds are offered on the winner of that one?)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Do you remember the two grumpy old men from the muppet show??

Well they had words and decided to race for 2K to sort it out.

Lumen in his infinite wisdom pursuaded them to reduce it to €50 for charity.

They's racing from Howth to Bray this saturday at 12.

Expect lots of bragging from one and excuses from the other all next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

Expect the first set of traffic lights they encounter to ruin the whole thing, more like.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,598 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

One of them has been silenced for a couple of months, so hopefully we will get the bragging without the excuses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Aside from the bragging / whinging / exusing that will go on for the next few weeks, I expect there will be two longer term outcomes from this.

First, this has huge potential to become an annual event. Swimmers do their winter dips, cyclst should have an annual race across Dublin (what about Stephen's Day???) for charity.

Second, this will become the default mechanism for sorting out arguments between posters. I suspect there'll be a few more trips out to Howth before the year is out!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

el tonto wrote: »
    The rule is no wheel sucking, but that shouldn't stop people leaving a few bike lengths and/or riding side by side if they want.

No wheel sucking makes it a time trial rather than a conventional race, as such. If that is the case you may as well stagger the start.

...although that wouldn't make for much of a spectacle as it would eliminate the mid-race heckling ("hold your bleedin' line", "do some work at the front, ya bollix", "your ma", "no, yours", etc.) , the bottle throwing (at each other), the pause for a punch-up at the side of the road, etc. I guess the baying public will expect no less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

cyclst should have an annual race across Dublin

that'd be RAAD wouldn't it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭redmaxi

me@ucd wrote: »
    that'd be RAAD wouldn't it :p

No it'd be ARAD actually, :).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

redmaxi wrote: »
    No it'd be ARAD actually, :).
    I was thinking RAD, is your A at the start silent?

abcdggs wrote: »
    I was thinking RAD, is your A at the start silent?
    I think it's An(u)al

Thanks for that. I had a read through a few of the last pages, and would I be right in thinking its going to be a MTB vs road bike challenge? Surely it'll be all over after about a kilometre or so?

I always like internet rows being resolved in real life. I'll try and make it along.

(yes blorg, I'll be wearing my tightest "hipster" [I'm choking on my own self-loathing rage having used that term, even in inverted commas] jeans from urban outfitters, plastic sunvisor and Ramones t-shirt, without knowing any of their songs, of course.)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

would I be right in thinking its going to be a MTB vs road bike challenge?

Yep, with anyone else who wants to joining in.
    Surely it'll be all over after about a kilometre or so?

Don't say that to Mockler. He reckons we're all over the hill 30 somethings and he's determined to crush us.
    I'll try and make it along.

C'mon Flickrex, we need more people from the fixie contingent. So far we only have Caroline as a definite.
    ...and Ramones t-shirt...

Hey, ho, let's go.

(yes blorg, I'll be wearing my tightest "hipster" [I'm choking on my own self-loathing rage having used that term, even in inverted commas] jeans from urban outfitters, plastic sunvisor and Ramones t-shirt, without knowing any of their songs, of course.)

Hey, I have skinny jeans and a Ramones t-shirt!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

I have skinny jeans, should i have got a ramones tshirt at the same time??

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Probably only a handful of you will get this joke, but...

23612219_3c2b3376e5.jpg

Probably only a handful of you will get this joke, but...

23612219_3c2b3376e5.jpg

I get jokes

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

C'mon Flickrex, we need more people from the fixie contingent. So far we only have Caroline as a definite.
    I should be fixed, depending on the weather.

All over within 1km as Mockler storms into the distance...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

MMmm how hard will it be to climb up Howth Hill on a fixie? or go down it ...? I am not at his blorgness level just yet this season ...

I would also love to try my new super euro road shoes ...

MMmm how hard will it be to climb up Howth Hill on a fixie? or go down it ...?

If you did the Swords Tour on your fixie, Howth Head shouldn't be a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I love the cycling forum. Looking forward to the results of this event.

• Advertisement

I'll see. I'm not supposed to cycle for another week or so (I'll explain in person if I see you) but I might give it a shot.

Caroline, Howth head hill is alright on a fixie, up or down, around the other side of the head (near Howth village) there's a bit of a steep incline but its manageable.

Whats the exact meetup spot? The summit pub?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement