Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tedious Bickering

Options
  • 19-12-2009 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭

MOD NOTE: This thread contains all the pathetically argumentative dross which is moved from other threads by mods on the grounds that it's too stupid, off-topic and/or childish even for the Brooomwagon. It's intended to be a cooling-off zone for silly arguments, but on rare occasions something interesting may happen. If you're offended by a post on this thread, please think twice about reporting it - the fact that it's here at all indicates its supreme lack of worth.
    me@ucd wrote: »
    a few years ago 4 or 5? I was on N11 slip rd, and some absolute loon job, after having a heated 'discussion' on the incident, reversed back up the slip road, stopped, reved the engine like he'd seen too many movies and then dropped the hand brake and sped towards me! I got off the bike and up onto a grass verge and over a concrete railing, he probably wasnt trying to run me over literally, but it scared the shit out of me thats for sure.

The Lesson: asshats are asshats and confronting them just isnt worth it, most dont think, and comfronting them just isn't worth it. you'll end up takling to the wall anyway and more pissed of with them not listening to them.

Much better to just use the adrennaline coursing through your legs to get in some high quality training sprints or burning the touch paper efforts, screaming while doing so is optional ;)

If you run all your doing is encouraging them to keep up their act, I had a similar incident a few years ago (off the bike) when some local tough guys tought they were hard and reversed up a one way street all coked up to attack a friend of mine who had thrown chips at their car after they had jokingly tried to run him over; unaware that I was about 20yards behind after being distracted by a nice dog, well those coked up losers were soundly trounced and had a trip to casualty.

Recently I took it upon myself to chase down a van which had done the usual trick of trying to push me into the kerb, wel he wasn't so tough at the lights when I was banging on his window as he looked blankly forward with a very pale face.

The Lesson: people feel very safe in their metal boxes however their balls often shrink once they realise how thin the metal is and how weak the glass is

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

You're certainly living up to your username.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭TimAllen

ScottStorm wrote: »
    If you run all your doing is encouraging them to keep up their act, I had a similar incident a few years ago (off the bike) when some local tough guys tought they were hard and reversed up a one way street all coked up to attack a friend of mine who had thrown chips at their car after they had jokingly tried to run him over; unaware that I was about 20yards behind after being distracted by a nice dog, well those coked up losers were soundly trounced and had a trip to casualty.

Recently I took it upon myself to chase down a van which had done the usual trick of trying to push me into the kerb, wel he wasn't so tough at the lights when I was banging on his window as he looked blankly forward with a very pale face.

The Lesson: people feel very safe in their metal boxes however their balls often shrink once they realise how thin the metal is and how weak the glass is
    Another cyclist gloating about criminal behaviour on the crime cycling forum. Wow, this is original - though I much prefer the "ulock through the window" or the"kicking off the car mirror" episodes that usually accompany these posts. C'mon guys, surely there's better stories than this. Hint: you have to describe the motorist as something that Satan would be afraid of. You (the criminal, eh sorry the cyclist) are just an innocent (add orphan or whatever for more empathy) commuter who's just been tipped over the edge (think Michael Douglas - Falling Down) and the next thing there's mirrors, doors and wheels being torn assunder - maybe even some random gunfire. - I'll get the popcorn!

Is it worse than advocating shoving things up people's rectums without their consent?

Is it worse than advocating shoving things up people's rectums without their consent?
    who did that?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,324 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

TimAllen wrote: »
    Wow, this is original
    The words pot and kettle spring to mind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Close this quick. We've got a violent nutter on one hand, who cycles, and we've got tim who chooses to ignore all the sensible posts and seizes on the aforementioned questionable comments to tar us all with the same brush. Boring.

coolbeans wrote: »
    Close this quick. We've got a violent nutter on one hand, who cycles, and we've got tim who chooses to ignore all the sensible posts and seizes on the aforementioned questionable comments to tar us all with the same brush. Boring.
    No, I do not tar you all with the same brush.
    But the vigour with which many on this forum jump to discredit me or request the thread to be closed while all the time the post of the "violent nutter" brought no response, which could be construed as tacit approval - I guess its this hypocricy which motivates me to highlight such posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

wow time flies

poochiem wrote: »
    wow time flies
    wow, more discrediting. I guess I covered this on my previous post - you have nothing to say about the "violent nutter"?

ScottStorm I condemn you. Now will you go away Tim?

• Advertisement

wow, more discrediting. I guess I covered this on my previous post - you have nothing to say about the "violent nutter"?

I do. You quoted me. I called him a nutter. He's probably a motorist too.

coolbeans wrote: »
    I do. You quoted me. I called him a nutter. He's probably a motorist too.
    The violent/criminal behaviour that this guy gloated about is not an uncommon theme among the cyclists on this forum. That it is tolerated is mind boggling:eek:

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,324 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The violent/criminal behaviour that this guy gloated about is not an uncommon theme among the cyclists on this forum. That it is tolerated is mind boggling:eek:
    So, Timothy, how common is this theme you speak of? What proportion of cyclists who post in the cycling forum would you estimate have gloated about violent/criminal behaviour?

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭SleepDoc

Tim Allen/Joe Malone. You have delighted us enough. Gloating about criminal behaviour is a very uncommon theme on this forum. Do a search.

I CALLED HIM A NUTTER.:rolleyes: Funny kind of tolerance. Also he's a first time poster on this forum so the application of your broad brush is as inappropriate as it is sadly predictable.

Beasty wrote: »
    So, Timothy, how common is this theme you speak of? What proportion of cyclists who post in the cycling forum would you estimate have gloated about violent/criminal behaviour?
    Many. I dont intend to work out the exact proportion though

Yes. Your mission is to irritate rather than enlighten.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Dead right too, why let the facts get in the way :rolleyes:

SleepDoc wrote: »
    Tim Allen/Joe Malone. You have delighted us enough. Gloating about criminal behaviour is a very uncommon theme on this forum. Do a search.
    The name's Tim, whats yours, Joe?
    Its quite a common theme actually - do a search yourself on "mirror kicking", "ulocks as a weapon" "smashy smash" posts as well as the predictable posts of vigilantism a la the "nutter".
    Remember - I dont start or encourage these posts - I merely highlight them and a lot of people spend a lot of time trying to discredit me when I do - instead of genuinely condemning the "nutter" type posts. It seems they can be ignored (tacit approval) or condoned at ease when I am not around!

A rough estimate will do. You clearly had something in your mind when you made the statement in the first place. Surely you can back up your statement (and if you cannot, you should withdraw it)

• Advertisement

RobFowl wrote: »
    Dead right too, why let the facts get in the way :rolleyes:
    Discredit the messenger - say nothing of the "nutter" and his ilk. Discredit the messenger I say - maybe he will go away

A rough estimate will do. You clearly had something in your mind when you made the statement in the first place. Surely you can back up your statement (and if you cannot, you should withdraw it)
    Many posters on this forum have posted, condoned or advocated criminal acts. Do you agree with this statement or not?

Many posters on this forum have posted, condoned or advocated criminal acts. Do you agree with this statement or not?
    How many do you consider "many"? Give me a number?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

Was approaching a roundabout and knowing that the road would split into two lanes I pulled in somewhat to allow cars behind to pass. Sure enough one did, then just as I was almost at the line a van pulled around me and nearly pushed me off the road. I slapped the van to let him know I existed, but he was not happy about this fact. He wound down the window and started yelling at me, so I bet a hasty retreat across the footpath and junction to the left onto the cycle lane (the next junction is to the hospital, its not busy...anyways not the best thing to do but I wanted to get away). While I was doing that he had sped up and pulled in ahead of me, and started yelling at me again. I told him (well shouted back, I wasn't going near the van) that he nearly knocked me off, him shouting back that he didn't, blah blah. When he started to get out I legged it, luckily he didn't follow me further.

The thing that really annoyed me was that either way I was in a bad situation, I'm sure I would've run into him or been run into if I hadn't hit the van, but either way I still got a run in. The fact that he pulled in up the road to yell at me, getting in the way of other traffic, confirmed to me what a giant asshat he was.

The other annoying thing is I went closer to the footpath to be polite to other road users and as reward this happened. From now on I'm sticking to the middle of the lane and I don't care how slow I may appear to drivers.

So that was my friday!

Similar thing happened to me one morning. Was cycling over a bridge in Santry,pretty steep one. There was a lot of traffic building up so I decided to move on up to the footpath. All the cars were stopped and there was a corner up ahead,in the corner of my eye I see this car go straight up onto the footpath beside me .nearly knocking me off. So I proceeded to bang the window with my elbow,car slams on the breaks and winds down the window,I couldn`t really hear what he said but it had the word fcuking twat in there somewhere. He came up behind and reved at me a bit before turning,I just cycled on :D

Its quite a common theme actually - do a search yourself on "mirror kicking", "ulocks as a weapon" "smashy smash" posts as well as the predictable posts of vigilantism a la the "nutter".
    Remember - I dont start or encourage these posts - I merely highlight them and a lot of people spend a lot of time trying to discredit me when I do - instead of genuinely condemning the "nutter" type posts. It seems they can be ignored (tacit approval) or condoned at ease when I am not around!

I did a search on mirror kicking and found this.

Unreasonable mods in cycling forum
    I appear to be banned from the cycling forum but have not received any notification of the ban or reason for it. Please help. Ihave had a dispute with a category mederator "uberwolf" regarding his/her non action over posts that gleefully admit to acts of criminal damage by cyclists against cars/drivers.
    The double standards on the forum is breath taking in the extreme. But the lack of courtesy to explain or notify me of my ban is just bad manners. Please explain
    Tim

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Mirror kicking
    Only one post in the top ten from cycling (and its you ;))
    ulocks weapon
    One match (quess who
    TimAllen
    )
    smashy smash
    Only 2 in cycling (and one is ..........
    TimAllen
    )

How many do you consider "many"? Give me a number?
    I would say that approx once per week there is a post outlining/advocating or condoning criminal behaviour on this forum. Most posters choose to either say nothing of the post and continue posting on the thread or some condone the post in a "you shouldnt really do such criminal behaviour but I understand why you do" kind of way and some others actively agree and support such a criminal post.
    In this context, i.e. a tiny minority explicitly and unreservedly condemn such criminal posts, then I suggest that those who dont explicitly and unreservedly condemn such posts are the "many" to which I refer

RobFowl wrote: »
    Mirror kicking
    Only one post in the top ten from cycling (and its you ;))
    ulocks weapon
    One match (quess who
    TimAllen
    )
    smashy smash
    Only 2 in cycling (and one is ..........
    TimAllen
    )
    I think you need to learn the difference between narrow and broad searches.
    Narrow searches could be considered narrow minded;)

Timothy

You seem very reluctant to back up any of your statements with data that supports them. So let me provide you with a couple of facts.

You first registered in December 2008 - almost exactly a year ago. In that time you have "contributed" to less than 30 threads in the Cycling forum, many of which had the type of "theme" you are talking about.

Over the same period there have been over 5,800 threads started in the Cycling forum. Hence you can only have "highlighted" a maximum of 1 in every 200 threads. This does not suggest to me that this theme is particularly "common".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It seems they can be ignored (tacit approval)

That's not how it works in this forum.

Strong approval is indicated by use of the "thanks". Disagreement is indicated by either (a) posting a reply quoting the issue in question and putting forward a counter-argument, or (b) ignoring the post.

The ambiguity is deliberate and by design; there is no "anti-thanks" button. These social conventions allow people with strongly opposing views to co-habit the forum without dragging every thread into a slanging match and forcing the mods to (for instance) abandon a pleasant Saturday evening of bike fettling and casual boards-surfing and wade into another idiotic scrap.

Be nice.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement