Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC offering 30Mbps broadband and problems with upgrade

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

check back earlier in the thread, I phoned them and existing customers will get free upgrade around March sometime, before that you need to enter a new year contract

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

slave1 wrote: »
    check back earlier in the thread, I phoned them and existing customers will get free upgrade around March sometime, before that you need to enter a new year contract

Ta

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

ah nice... its not avalable in mine town.... 20mbit would work out same as 7mbit with eircom...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

what everyone is forgetting is that this is an interim increase to boost sales and take customers off the competition as well as to stress the network in anticipation of the 120mbps upgrades later this year.

personally the 20 -> 30mbps increase doesn't make a huge difference for me, i just set my downloads going and wait for them to finish, it doesn't matter to me when that is, BUT the 3mbps upload increase is worth the price of admission alone (another 12 months contract) and will make the most difference to me overall and i'll be signing on the dotted line on 4th Jan with no reservations at all.

as things stand the 250gb FUP is enough for my current usage, but may increase in the near future so it would be nice to see that go up with the speed increase, but it's still much better than any other ISP so i'm not complaining (now that I'm used to it being there for the last 12 months).

just a word of advice to anyone buying new routers, make sure you spend a couple of extra quid upgrading to a gigabit router or when the 120mbps upgrades come later this year, the main bottleneck in your internet connection will be your LAN. :D

not to mention that the WAN ports on *some* older models of 100mbps routers may still only 10mbps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

I am a existing UPC customer , 10mb up 1mb down .

I decided to give them a call , here is how it went :

Me: Im just calling to see if you are upgrading existing customers to the new "fibre power" broadband packages.

UPC: Certainly are , "fibrepower" is just the new name for our broadband packages , all existing customers will be auto upgraded to new speeds.

Me: auto upgraded , When ?:D

UPC: From Monday 4th you should see your new speeds.

Me: (always the sceptic) So from Monday my speeds test should show closer to 15mg 'v' 10mb

UPC: If you don't see a change call us back.

Me: is there any increase in the upload from 1mb ?

UPC: Dont really know sir as we won't have the full details til Monday.

Me: :rolleyes: ... I'm been flogged off here !

I am not holding my breath as the guy on the phone sounding Like he wanted to go home .

Will just have to wait til Monday and see.

M.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

mixednuts wrote: »
    I am a existing UPC customer , 10mb up 1mb down .

I decided to give them a call , here is how it went :

Me: Im just calling to see if you are upgrading existing customers to the new "fibre power" broadband packages.

UPC: Certainly are , "fibrepower" is just the new name for our broadband packages , all existing customers will be auto upgraded to new speeds.

Me: auto upgraded , When ?:D

UPC: From Monday 4th you should see your new speeds.

Me: (always the sceptic) So from Monday my speeds test should show closer to 15mg 'v' 10mb

UPC: If you don't see a change call us back.

Me: is there any increase in the upload from 1mb ?

UPC: Dont really know sir as we won't have the full details til Monday.

Me: :rolleyes: ... I'm been flogged off here !

I am not holding my breath as the guy on the phone sounding Like he wanted to go home .

Will just have to wait til Monday and see.

M.

Existing customers will take 2-3 months.. that's why I'm waiting till Monday anyway.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

vibe666 wrote: »
    just a word of advice to anyone buying new routers, make sure you spend a couple of extra quid upgrading to a gigabit router or when the 120mbps upgrades come later this year, the main bottleneck in your internet connection will be your LAN. :D

Don't remind me. When I bought my linksys router in February I never thought it would be the bottlenecking my broadband connection. I was on eircom 3Mb at the time.

Don't remind me. When I bought my linksys router in February I never thought it would be the bottlenecking my broadband connection. I was on eircom 3Mb at the time.
    if it's a wrt54g, i've been told on the linksysinfo forums that most of them (dep. on specific hardware in your model) should be good up to about 35mbps, so you should be grand for now, but i'd be thinking of kicking it up a notch in time for summer. :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

vibe666 wrote: »
    if it's a wrt54g, i've been told on the linksysinfo forums that most of them (dep. on specific hardware in your model) should be good up to about 35mbps, so you should be grand for now, but i'd be thinking of kicking it up a notch in time for summer. :)
    Nah, mine is the wrt160n. I wouldn't mind but I have two of the bloody things here.

Nah, mine is the wrt160n. I wouldn't mind but I have two of the bloody things here.
    you could always sell them both to eircom customers to pay for an upgrade, it'll do them for the next few years at least. ;)

• Advertisement

update:

just spoke to UPC support and sales didn't know what the story was, but tech support said that for existing customers it will be an online upgrade for the customer to do, they can't do it themselves at all.

when i said that it was supposed to be live from today but that the website hasn't been updated with the new packages and the www.fibrepower.ie website just redirects to the regular website, he checked with his manager and said that they were still working on th website and it would be updated at some stage this week, so keep checking back with the site and it'll appear at some stage.

well, that's me fobbed off for the week then. :)

who wants to ring up and see how much of a different story they can get out of the next guy? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

UPC.ie broadband section has just been updated with the new packages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

The speeds on the website have been updated

Broadband from Chorus ntl
    Fibre Power Broadband
    5Mb Fibre Power Broadband
    15Mb Fibre Power Broadband
    30Mb
    close Download/Upload speedRepresents how quickly you can download or upload content from or to a website

Download/Upload speed 5Mb / 512Kb 15Mb / 1.5Mb 30Mb / 3Mb
    close Price per monthThe amount you'll pay each month for this service.

Price per month €22.00 €32.00 €42.00
    close Usage LimitsThe amount of bandwidth usage inluded with each pack.

Usage Limits 40GB Unlimited Unlimited
    close FREE wireless routerIdeal for busy homes where more than one person goes online at a time.

FREE wireless router No
    more infoOrder now more infoOrder now more infoOrder now

http://www.upc.ie/broadband/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 muntijaqi

They charge now 8 euro when you dont have TV! :(

€15 downgrade charge. Ouch!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

If i want to get home phone with anytime world and the 30mb BB then i have to pay €68 per month. That is unbelievably high!!!

"Fibre Surfer" is €60 for existing customers. Home phone + Anytime World + 30mb BB.

My bad: €8 for not having TV!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

True but they all do it....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

"Fibre Surfer" is €60 for existing customers. Home phone + Anytime World + 30mb BB.

And it says if you are not taking a TV package its an extra 8€ per month...

Im a a new customer btw

• Registered Users Posts: 15,203 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Have they put the form for upgrading on upc.ie yet? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

Has anyone asked if their cap is still at 250GB? Sorry "FUP"..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,089 ✭✭✭Mech1

Just phoned UPC, as a 20mb customer already they said that I would be automatically upgraded in March, or I could apply to be upgraded sooner if I renewed my contract. I asked how do I renew my contract and she said on the website, I told her that I could not find anyway of doing that on the site. she then put me on hold for a while and then told me that the form was getting uploaded as we speak and to try again later.

By the way.. does anybody know about localities in Cork?
    I mean, when you check for availability in you area you choose County-City-Locality.

In locality section it does not appear most of the streets so I believe this is a group-area section. I dont know which group my address should be. Its the city centre in Cork but it does not say anything about City Centre. The name would be Sullivan's Quay (near to Grand Parade)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

just rang up, i ordered 10mb last week and hasnt been put in yet , they said i would get 15mb automatically :D

keysersoze_88, then you should pay just 6 euro extra without TV instead 8 euro?

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭myles79

Mech1 wrote: »
    Just phoned UPC, as a 20mb customer already they said that I would be automatically upgraded in March, or I could apply to be upgraded sooner if I renewed my contract. I asked how do I renew my contract and she said on the website, I told her that I could not find anyway of doing that on the site. she then put me on hold for a while and then told me that the form was getting uploaded as we speak and to try again later.

i just phoned aswell and was told there is no need to apply with a form upgrades are done automaticaly and will be upgraded anytime between now and jan 15th all you need to do is reboot your modem and check if its done at some point in that time frame

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

muntijaqi wrote: »
    keysersoze_88, then you should pay just 6 euro extra without TV instead 8 euro?
    well technically im an existing customer i suppose , so 6 euro i assume extra ill be paying but wont be bothered if it extra 2 euro like

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭who is this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

I just filled in the form and this is the message I got when finished! :D

Speed Changes

Thank you for your request. One of our agents will confirm when this has been actioned. This shouldn't take longer than two working days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

Just filled in the form and it says that it should be be done within two working days , time will tell :D.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement