Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC offering 30Mbps broadband and problems with upgrade

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Yeah a UPC sales man gave me the info regarding January and the contract, but still reckon its well worth it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭_Sidhe_

TheDoc wrote: »
    I'll take that contract option.

Btw, friend of mine in work did a speedtest yesterday, and his upc line is reporting 80mb download and 4mb upload from upc, hes is on the 20mb package.

Dublin city.

Talk about lucky bastard, id say its only a matter of time before they find out but my jaw dropped when he showed me the speedtest result.

Co-incidently had a sales guy from upc at the door, confirmed the 30mb thing announced. But he also said they could " have your line running up to 100mbs easily" but they hold back until the competition offer better packages, then rollout free upgrades.

Promising news, and why I'll be sticking with upc.

That's complete rubbish.
    UPC have to switch over to Docsis 3 before they can roll out the new speeds.
    It's not "easily" done at the drop of a hat.
    There is still a large area of their network that'll have to be upgraded first.
    If UPC could have it out yesterday, they would.

Never, ever, believe any sales rep, from any company.
    They are all collectively talking out of their ar$es.
    They have no insider knowledge about the company they work for, and most of the time don't know anything about the product that they are selling.

_Sidhe_ wrote: »
    That's complete rubbish.
    It's not "easily" done at the drop of a hat.
    There is still a large area of their network that'll have to be upgraded first.
    If UPC could have it out yesterday, they would.

Never, ever, believe any sales rep, from any company.
    They are all collectively talking out of their ar$es.
    They have no insider knowledge about the company they work for, and most of the time don't know anything about the product that they are selling.

Sidhe, please get your facts right look up the maximum speed of docsis 2 before making uniformed statements, docsis 2 is capable of :-
    raw speed of up 50Mbs and throughput of almost 40Mbs. PLus UPC have already upgraded large sections of the network to docsis 3.

Upc are currently using Euro-Docsis 1.1 which maxes at 55.62 Mbs Downstream. Which means 30Mb will be the highest speed till the jump ship to 3.0.

Will most likely skip Docsis 2 altogether.

UPC are already on Docsis 2

"UPC Ireland sales and marketing director Mark Coan confirmed that the company is providing 30Mbps on the existing DOCSIS 2.0 infrastructure but as DOCSIS 3.0 infrastructure is deployed, services with speeds as high as 120Mbps will be available as early as August next year."

http://siliconrepublic.com/news/article/14621/comms/irelands-digital-future-evolves-as-upc-nears-120mbps-broadband

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Anyone know if UPC will ever come to towns like tralee in kerry ive had just about enough of eircom for a lifetime:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Tralee has no cable, maybe some magic Kerry pixie dust or Dolly Healy Rae and his enchanted digger will deliver the signals instead ??
    Dáil Éireann - Volume 350 - 22 May, 1984

Written Answers. - Tralee Cable TV Service.

Mr. McEllistrim Mr. McEllistrim

537. Mr. McEllistrim asked the Minister for Communications if he will issue a licence to provide a multi-channel television service for Tralee, County Kerry.

Minister for Communications (Mr. J. Mitchell) Jim Mitchell

Minister for Communications (Mr. J. Mitchell): Licences for multi-channel cable television services are normally issued following an open competition which is advertised in the national newspapers. Such competitions are held only when there is reason to believe that British television signals may be available within a reasonable distance to make a cable television service viable at the locations in question. My Department have no evidence that such signals are available in the Tralee area. If, however, such evidence becomes available the question of holding a competition in respect of the town will be considered.

IrishTonyO wrote: »

"UPC Ireland sales and marketing director Mark Coan confirmed that the company is providing 30Mbps on the existing DOCSIS 2.0 infrastructure but as DOCSIS 3.0 infrastructure is deployed, services with speeds as high as 120Mbps will be available as early as August next year."

http://siliconrepublic.com/news/article/14621/comms/irelands-digital-future-evolves-as-upc-nears-120mbps-broadband

There current modem config files are compliance 1.1. But the modems are Docsis 2 capable and the infrastructure is capable so maybe 30Mb will jump over to 2.0.

Sidhe, please get your facts right look up the maximum speed of docsis 2 before making uniformed statements, docsis 2 is capable of :-
    raw speed of up 50Mbs and throughput of almost 40Mbs. PLus UPC have already upgraded large sections of the network to docsis 3.

Ha!

Coming from you I can't help but laugh.

Please tell me where I said that UPC couldn't supply speeds of up to 50 on Docsis 2?

The sales rep reportedly said that UPC could switch to 100 MB right now.

They can't.

I said they can't.

UPC have part of their network updated to accept a switchover to Docsis 3, but not all.
    Which is exactly what I said.

UPC can not instantly switch to 100MB speeds!

Simples.

UPC are currently on Docsis 1.1
    But will be switching to Docsis 2 over the next few weeks.

But of course you knew that didn't you Tony.

• Advertisement

_Sidhe_ wrote: »
    That's complete rubbish.

Incorrect if you look at the title of this thread it is talking about upgrades to 30Mbs speed and they do not have to switch over to Docsis 3 for that!

They could go as high as 50Mb, but that would be pushing it at the very most.

30Mb will be the last stop before the Docsis 3.0 modems and 50Mb+ speeds come into effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

I have a few questions about UPC if anyone can help?

I know that DSL is contended, and so is cable to an extent. However it seems that contention is incredibly fierce where I live (Shankill, Co. Dublin) so much that Eircom slows to a crawl. If I'm playing an FPS and someone else in the house browses the internet, my pings shoot up into the hundreds. This is typically during peak times, which I understand. I do get the full 7mb during the day, but in the evenings, forget it.

However, I'm wondering would the same thing be noticed on UPC? In the UK, I never experienced contention to such a high level, so I'm hoping that although cable might be contended, it won't be as bad as Eircom have it - i.e. I can go about my own business on my computer, and anyone else in the house can go about theirs without everyone suffering.

Obviously downloading has a greater effect on the overall connection, but I'm just talking about web browsing etc being possible on multiple computers.

Secondly, as I've an Eircom contract, how long does this typically run for? I've the 7mb since May/June I believe. What are the penalties for early cancellation if I'm still in contract?

Thirdly, I have UPC digital TV, and I'm thinking of adding broadband to it (they just recently upgraded I think) - I'm guessing this will stick a 12month contract on me for both TV/internet? Early cancellation fees?

Anything else I should be aware of, if ordering? I read a few bits here and there about the router they use, not being so good..?

Thanks for any help.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

My first day in my new place and my upc dropped from 20Mpbs to around 10ish at peak times so yes it suffers from contention but (at least in my case) not very badly.

I have a 10 Mb line and get about 9.8Mbs off peak and around 6-7Mbs peak so not too bad where I am anyway. Ping times about 18ms-25ms, no packet loss. But suppose it depends on your area etc.

Early cancellation fee for UPC is €100.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

UPC is divided into segments, some segments are loaded with hogs and some not.

Shankill has modern plant and should be less contended on the backhaul ( at least) than other area where UPC operates but add in a few hogs and it could be crap.

Currently each segment shares about 50mbits BETWEEN THEM at most, the upgrade will push that to 120-150mbits.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

haha typical tralee is just about the worst town in ireland when it comes to broadband

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Hi,

Have been given some news regarding this. Exisiting customers will not be upgraded until March and no change in the contract. However if they want to be upgraded sooner from Jan 4th, can fill in a form online and they will be upgraded within a week but will have to sign a new 12 month contract.

Is the form available online yet?

mickger wrote: »
    Is the form available online yet?

no like I said on January 4th

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭kamin99

no like I said on January 4th

yeh as IrishtonyO said, I called UPC today they told me it will be available to order from the 4th of January for 48Euro and I should wait till then to sign up and I also asked about cancelation fees just in case:D , 100 Euro Flat rate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭none

Saadyst wrote: »
    Secondly, as I've an Eircom contract, how long does this typically run for? I've the 7mb since May/June I believe. What are the penalties for early cancellation if I'm still in contract?

If you were affected by their recent change (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055756694,
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055392861), you can quit without any penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭John2009

Ahhhhhhh disaster, had the UPC installer come today to sort me out with my 20mb connection.
    Just my luck then to have a sh?te line entering the house.

The installation lad did a quick line test and we have a rotten signal, he said that our line was reading 53db before he could put a splitter on and afterwards it would be about 49db and the minimum before they would even install would need to be up around the 65db or so to have a handy solid connection.

Gutted i am, had my lovely new Sony Vaio all set up ready for blistering speeds but nadda.:(

The installer lad said to me that he would speak with his area manager when he got back to base about our line and that he the manager would have to get onto the Network Division side of UPC to see would they be able to ramp up the power or signal to our house and see if the line will improve.

Is that a bad sign for me when UPC have to boost power to see if my line will pass the signal test or is it just normal procedure for them?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Amazing the people on boards are always raving on about the Sterling/Euro Conversion ripoff but noone has ever made a peep about the Euro/Euro conversion of UPC Rates.

Its 30 Euro / month for 30mbit with UPC in the Netherlands and the 120mbit package is 70 euro / month.

http://www.upc.nl/internet/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

craichoe wrote: »
    Amazing the people on boards are always raving on about the Sterling/Euro Conversion ripoff but noone has ever made a peep about the Euro/Euro conversion of UPC Rates.

Its 30 Euro / month for 30mbit with UPC in the Netherlands and the 120mbit package is 70 euro / month.

http://www.upc.nl/internet/

You haven't looked at the whole picture at all, NL is considered to be one of the top tier regions for IP infrastructure in the world, competition and ease of delivering / maintaining speeds like this versus in Ireland.
    On considering all that UPC are offering far better value for money that you realise.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I was sorting out a separate issue with UPC today and asked about the upgrades.
    Available to new customers automatically from January.
    Existing customers can avail through new 12 month contract.
    Existing customers will automatically be upgraded in March

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Yeah thanks slave we already have that info further up the thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭mollser

Got a text from UPC today, i've been upgraded to 8mg with immediate effect - just had to reboot the modem. I was on the now defunct 6mg package, which I think is €29 a month. Speed test as evidence!

659268949.png

edit - oh yeah, in leopardstown

where abouts are you mollser?

mollser wrote: »

edit - oh yeah, in leopardstown

Beat me to it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭mollser

max 958kB/s download speed just there - happy with that! Thx UPC! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement