Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC offering 30Mbps broadband and problems with upgrade

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 burkeie

sdonn wrote: »
    Just took the upgrade there too. I'm presuimng the distance-selling regulations governing the 7-day cooling off period for upgrades of this nature extend to this?

not too sure, your purchasing a service not a tangible product so if they supply that service, then im not too sure you would have any come back unless they say that to you when you sign up.

if you need to you could ring consumer affairs if it comes to it but i think itd be a bit of a grey area.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭speedfreak

huggs2 wrote: »
    well went from 10 megs to 15 megs while still on the phone. Upc are getting better and an extra 5 megs free. Nice.

Filled out the form earlier today. Router just rebooted itself now. Did a speedcheck and have 14.66Mb/s up from 9.66Mb/s. So glad i moved from poxy BT. Its nice to have a stable, fast connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

vibe666 wrote: »
    lots of people here have complained about poor performance with the netgear routers in the past, both wired and wireless. regardless of that though, you can get a better router for less than €50 quid that can be set up yourself in 5 minutes, so on that basis alone they aren't worth what UPC are charging for them.

as for the cisco boxes, a search of boards.ie for either the words "ntl" or "upc" and "cisco" will give you all the answers you need.

if you are looking for the 30mbps broadband off UPC then you are very likely to be a heavy user and as a heavy user you have many better options for a router than what UPC are offering, simple as that.

What would you recommend?

i think in the next two years unless eircom or the gov do something radical, you will see eircom and all the 3rd party companies that use thier infrastructure, only be popular in regions where fibre optic broadband doesnt normally reach.

Copper cannot go further than 24mb (and as your prob know the speeds promised vs delivered on DSL arent really anywhere close most of the time), so when reliable 120 mb comes around with potential for UPC to go even faster again later on, eircom just wont be able to compete where UPC is available on a price/performance comparison.

I was with utv internet for years (and they were pretty good and didnt like chorus or eircom (as they were completely unreliable and were in rip off mde) but upc since they took over chorus/ntl they seems to have transformed them into reliable outfit with good price.

vibe666 wrote: »
    lots of people here have complained about poor performance with the netgear routers in the past, both wired and wireless. regardless of that though, you can get a better router for less than €50 quid that can be set up yourself in 5 minutes, so on that basis alone they aren't worth what UPC are charging for them.

as for the cisco boxes, a search of boards.ie for either the words "ntl" or "upc" and "cisco" will give you all the answers you need.

if you are looking for the 30mbps broadband off UPC then you are very likely to be a heavy user and as a heavy user you have many better options for a router than what UPC are offering, simple as that.

Whats wrong with this netgear router?? http://www.netgear.ie/home_wndr3700.php I have it and its working way better than a belkin and lnksys one i had previously. do you mean the specific netgear router (which is limited) that UPC provide or all netgear routers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

I filled out the webform and 4 1/2 hours later I got an e-mail starting with "sorry for the delay" telling me that I'm upgraded.

However when I run a speedtest (and I also tried speedtest.magnet.ie and downloading a larger file) my speed is worse than before for download, upload is however better:

671771076.png

Also my pings got worse:

6999449.png

Not really what I wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

I filled out the webform and 4 1/2 hours later I got an e-mail starting with "sorry for the delay" telling me that I'm upgraded.

However when I run a speedtest (and I also tried speedtest.magnet.ie and downloading a larger file) my speed is worse than before for download, upload is however better:

671771076.png

Also my pings got worse:

6999449.png

restart your modem!!

also i think eircom are already out of the race considering the price of the 5mb and 10mb from upc!!!. no one will get eircom if they can get upc!! simple as that!!!

671771076.png

Also my pings got worse:

6999449.png

give it an hour, it takes an hour to come back up. mine was the same. intially the upload went up right away, but the download went down to 10mb for me, but after hour it was up to 28. dont worry yet, if its like that way later on tonight then give em a call.

This happened me after the modem restart

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

What sort of hassle can I expect if I was to change from BT/Vodaphone?
    Could I still use my Linksys WAG160N if I changed?

Kilkenny/ Kilkenny is a very generalised area, so I won't get my hopes up just yet. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

Bah went to go and do the upgrade and has finally talked my dad around to getting the UPC tv package but he doesnt want to pay by direct debit. Go to order and cant get past the first page because they want details, ring UPC woman switches my over to billing on hold for 5 minutes and then get "sorry this department is closed for the day"

He is just set in his ways he just prefers paying in the post office, gonna have to wait till the morning now and try and sort it out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Small point but VAT reduction not passed on yet....await the Jan invoice to see if they do the right thing

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 muntijaqi

UPC just contacted me by email to say there is not service in my area. Is that possible? Im in Cork City Centre close to the street where UPC is!
    :S I did not expect that, I need broadband service.. :( I dont know what to do.
    If this is true I think Chorus should make more effort to cover more areas instead giving more boradband (what is fine too!) in order to have more customers..

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

slave1 wrote: »
    Small point but VAT reduction not passed on yet....await the Jan invoice to see if they do the right thing
    Did they pass on the increase to customers last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

slave1 wrote: »

Just got my bill and it is €38.01 ???? a 1 cent increase???

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Filled out form this afternoon and just received confirmation email from UPC as of 8.16 pm . Definitely easier than previous phone in upgrades.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Filled out form this afternoon and just received confirmation email from UPC as of 8.20 pm

now i have 15mb download and 1.5mb upload :D

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭John2009

I also have filled out my upgrade form online and recieved the confirmation email maybe 10 minutes ago, immediately did a speed test

671856734.png

Again closer to home

671861631.png

Those 2 results are with the laptop wireless about 4 feet away from the router on my bed.
    I'll post wired results in a few minutes

kleefarr wrote: »
    What sort of hassle can I expect if I was to change from BT/Vodaphone?
    Could I still use my Linksys WAG150N if I changed?

Kilkenny/ Kilkenny is a very generalised area, so I won't get my hopes up just yet. :(

no hassle at all really being honest, just have to make sure you give them the 30 days notice of leaving. (also be sure to cancel only the broadband and to let the phone contract intact if you wanna keep your existing number) You may lose internet for 1-2 days between the broadband being cancelled and the installation date. they will need to run a cable down the wall of the house and drill a hole to bring it into the location you want the modem/phone to go.

On the router, if the existing router has a wan port, then you can use it, but if its a ADSL router/modem combo then you likely will need a new router. (i had to buy a new one when i changed)

• Advertisement

John2009 wrote: »
    Again closer to home

671861631.png

wait an hour mine was the same, it needs an hour to adjust....

btw im assuming you rebooted modem before the speedtest in the reply above....

Finger crossed mate because my speed has be absolutely atrocious the past few days, i'm talking losing easily 60% - 70% of my supposed speed from 5pm to well after 2am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

What's the penalty if you cancel your contract within 12 months?

i'm sure its a 100euro early cancellation fee

i'm sure its a 100euro early cancellation fee

ya about that, youd almost be better off paying the 15 euro downgrade and pay the mimimum amount rather than cancel, would work out prob better for you overall. (unless your moving house)

Finger crossed mate because my speed has be absolutely atrocious the past few days, i'm talking losing easily 60% - 70% of my supposed speed from 5pm to well after 2am.

was it around the 4mb mark all the time? before the upgrade?

if so, if theres there many in your area using Upc too? (might be a contention prob)

id reboot the modem a few more times too, let it out maybe 15 mins and reconnnect, then give it an hour.

if that fails get onto em first thing in morning to sort it out

Results with the laptop wired and right next to the router

671899098.png

671901405.png

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

BostonB wrote: »
    What would you recommend?
    well, until recently, i'd have recommended a Linksys WRT54GL somethign else that wil take a good 3rd party firmware like ddwrt or tomato, but now with the new speeds it's all a bit up in the air.

they'll do for now, happily managing a 30mbps connection, but much above that and a lot fo them won' take the extra speed, so forget about it when the 120mbps comes in.

ddwrt supports some routers with gigabit ports, but i'm waiting for something that ticks all the boxes before i put down some cash, although I'm very tempted by the Asus RT-N16 with the one single downside being a lack of 5Ghz wifi support on it. ddwrt has limited support for it though, so i'm hanging on for a while. tomato has no support at all currently for it, but there are people working on a modified branch of tomato that would support it, so who knows in the short to mid-term what will come of that.

time will tell i guess. if you're desperate for something now, then get one of the newer 'N' series routers with gigabit ports supported by ddwrt, but it would be worth waiting if you can hang on for a while, there's plenty coming just over the horizon imho that would be well worth hanging on for.
    burkeie wrote: »
    Whats wrong with this netgear router?? http://www.netgear.ie/home_wndr3700.php I have it and its working way better than a belkin and lnksys one i had previously. do you mean the specific netgear router (which is limited) that UPC provide or all netgear routers?
    i was just on about the one UPC were using after seeing lots of reports here of people having issues with them (as with the cisco one). :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

Iolar wrote: »
    Does this mean Smart are fcuked?if UPC can offer such packages?

Not really, a lot of people cannot get UPC so Smart are still the best of the rest! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement