Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC offering 30Mbps broadband and problems with upgrade

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭Mech1

:DOk we have all had our problems with upc in the past and some people may still be having problems, but can we all at once maybe say thanks to upc for this?
    To say thanks upc, just click the thanks icon (lower right) on this post. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

My upload speed has gone up but my download has not speeded up yet but I'm more interested in the upload speed anyway. :D

671956094.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

vibe666 wrote: »
    well, until recently, i'd have recommended a Linksys WRT54GL somethign else that wil take a good 3rd party firmware like ddwrt or tomato, but now with the new speeds it's all a bit up in the air.

they'll do for now, happily managing a 30mbps connection, but much above that and a lot fo them won' take the extra speed, so forget about it when the 120mbps comes in...

Thanks for the info. Is it just purely for the speed that you reckon a 3rd party firmare is essential, or do you use the extra features over a oem firmware? I mean if you are on the 3mb/5mb do you need this? Would it help diagnosing cable problems with signal strength etc. Or contention?

The only issue I've seen with the netgear routers is that the early ones don't have WAP2 and they seem to have a tendency to overheat, especially when people stack them with the modem, or put them in a poorly ventilated space. I've replaced a few of them.

Mech1 wrote: »
    :DOk we have all had our problems with upc in the past and some people may still be having problems, but can we all at once maybe say thanks to upc for this?
    To say thanks upc, just click the thanks icon (lower right) on this post. :D

You'll have to try harder than that,

UPC seem to be trying harder for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭RVN10

Just upgraded to 30Mbs just wondering how long will it take to come into effect 3mbs upload is exactly want I looking for going to be sweet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

I somehow regret having upgraded from 20 to 30.

For the past 10 month I had reliable broadband with UPC with high download speeds, good ping times and stable connections both into my corporate and US VPN connections.

Ever since I got upgraded my connection is ****e with speeds changing every couple of minutes from very bad to nearly what I had before the upgrade, but never near the new possible speed.

Sure my upload speed is great, but now my download does the same what other report, it’s bloody unreliable.

I wish I had never asked them to touch my running system. :mad:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I somehow regret having upgraded from 20 to 30.

For the past 10 month I had reliable broadband with UPC with high download speeds, good ping times and stable connections both into my corporate and US VPN connections.

Ever since I got upgraded my connection is ****e with speeds changing every couple of minutes from very bad to nearly what I had before the upgrade, but never near the new possible speed.

Sure my upload speed is great, but now my download does the same what other report, it’s bloody unreliable.

I wish I had never asked them to touch my running system. :mad:

When did you get upgraded? It looks like it was only today, if that's the case just calm down and wait a few days before complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

I signed the eform today for the upgrade from 10 to 15mb download and my both my upload and download speeds have been upgraded! Yippee :D Just one note before you check, you should reboot your NTL router before you'll see the updated speeds. Enjoy faster surfing y'all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

ADSLUSER wrote: »
    I signed the eform today for the upgrade from 10 to 15mb download and my both my upload and download speeds have been upgraded! Yippee :D Just one note before you check, you should reboot your NTL router before you'll see the updated speeds. Enjoy faster surfing y'all!

I also just received a mail from UPC confirming that I have been upgraded. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

GigaByte wrote: »
    My upload speed has gone up but my download has not speeded up yet but I'm more interested in the upload speed anyway. :D

I'm getting similar results, download still seeing around 20 (could be wireless) my upload is faster though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Mech1 wrote: »
    but can we all at once maybe say thanks to upc for this?

yeah, thanks UPC, you're my hero, i love how you upgraded me from my old 20mbps connection that looked like this a few days ago:

668553821.png

to my new 30mbps connection that looks like this:

672016740.png

i'm so glad i upgraded and looking forward to hours on the phone trying to figure out what you broke.

here's hoping that it's just that all the people in my street with UPC are also reading this thread and hammering speedtest.net!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Yep dropped by about 8 meg on download here. Hopefully will be ok by tomorrow

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭John2009

Getting there, wireless fyi.

672037749.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

burkeie wrote: »
    no hassle at all really being honest, just have to make sure you give them the 30 days notice of leaving. (also be sure to cancel only the broadband and to let the phone contract intact if you wanna keep your existing number) You may lose internet for 1-2 days between the broadband being cancelled and the installation date. they will need to run a cable down the wall of the house and drill a hole to bring it into the location you want the modem/phone to go.

On the router, if the existing router has a wan port, then you can use it, but if its a ADSL router/modem combo then you likely will need a new router. (i had to buy a new one when i changed)

Thanks for that.
    My Linksys WAG160N (Typo in previous post) has a WAN ethernet port maximum speed of 100Mbps.

So it just looks like I'll need to check that I can get UPC my area of Kilkenny.
    And get out of the NEW 12 month contract with Vodaphone, if I have one, which shouldn't be a problem. After being with BT for over six years I don't see why I should be subject to a new contract when I was transferred when I didn't want to be. :mad:

Also, was looking at the 30Mb package with UPC but it seems that people who have had an upgrade from 20-30Mbs don't get the speed increase that they were expecting.

May take my time and watch the progress for a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 burkeie

kleefarr wrote: »
    Thanks for that.
    My Linksys WAG160N (Typo in previous post) has a WAN ethernet port maximum speed of 100Mbps.

So it just looks like I'll need to check that I can get UPC my area of Kilkenny.
    And get out of the NEW 12 month contract with Vodaphone, if I have one, which shouldn't be a problem. After being with BT for over six years I don't see why I should be subject to a new contract when I was transferred when I didn't want to be. :mad:

Also, was looking at the 30Mb package with UPC but it seems that people who have had an upgrade from 20-30Mbs don't get the speed increase that they were expecting.

May take my time and watch the progress for a bit.

i have 30mb and im getting 28.5 and 2.8 consistent, even during the day i was getting 25-26 worst case. people will need to give it time to build up, the other thing is to make sure they leave the modem out for like 15 mins
    so that it can complete reset. it then takes 1-2 hours for the download speed to come back up. i would heartily recommend it, flying it at moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Haven't gotten an email back on the upgrade of my 20mb yet.

But my parents had the 10mb in their house and I filled in the upgrade form for them earlier... just got forwarded an email from them saying they've 'upgraded' the line from 15mb to 10mb...

I'm guessing this is just poor use of the English language.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

burkeie wrote: »
    i have 30mb and im getting 28.5 and 2.8 consistent, even during the day i was getting 25-26 worst case. people will need to give it time to build up, the other thing is to make sure they leave the modem out for like 15 mins
    so that it can complete reset. it then takes 1-2 hours for the download speed to come back up. i would heartily recommend it, flying it at moment.

Great. Will still look into the 30Mb then.

Cheers. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

well i havent got an email from them yet but my speed has dropped!!!

672070447.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9 nemo366

hi

im really sorry for replying on this but im new here. i cant figure out how to post on this site. could somebody please help me

tanx

• Registered Users Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭dunworth1

nemo366 wrote: »
    hi

im really sorry for replying on this but im new here. i cant figure out how to post on this site. could somebody please help me

tanx

i assume your talking about starting a thread

this will help you

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055758212

• Advertisement

Another result, again wireless. Going outside for a smoke and to check if Cork City is getting some snow :D. Gonna unplug the router for abit.

672084024.png

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

When doing a speedtest make sure to check a few servers. For example:

From Dublin mine is fine:

672117485.png

But from the sligo server (which is where I live):

672118589.png

Also, it's best to double check by downloading something from heanet/rapidshare or some other really fast hosting services as at higher speeds speedtests may not be as accurate.

Will this effect the contention? My thinking people will download more, because they can do it quicker?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,985 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Folks,

Before moving to my current address I was a UPC customer and was using a Motorola cable modem and the much hated Netgear router. We moved to a new place and initially couldn't get UPC here. After a few months they came around and brought a new Cisco gateway. That's all fine and dandy but it makes setting up a wireless N network a pain in the ass as I can't just change a router.

I still have the older Motorola modem I had been using. Is there anyway I can convince tech support to let me use that instead of the Cisco box? Failing that, what options are open to me?

BostonB wrote: »
    Will this effect the contention? My thinking people will download more, because they can do it quicker?
    nope, contention is how many people are connected to the same node on the back end, so no change to that = same contention, regardless of their speed. (should be noted that its 4am and i have no clue if 'node' is even remotely the right term, but you get the idea?)

also, my speeds have picked up somewhat, so i guess it was just down to everyone using it at once. :)

672198381.png

would like to see my upload go up a bit though, don't care much about the download.

vibe666 wrote: »
    nope, contention is how many people are connected to the same node on the back end, so no change to that = same contention, regardless of their speed. (should be noted that its 4am and i have no clue if 'node' is even remotely the right term, but you get the idea?)

COntention perhaps was the wrong word. I meant peoples speed on the same node if everyone elses speed has increased.

BostonB wrote: »
    COntention perhaps was the wrong word. I meant peoples speed on the same node if everyone elses speed has increased.
    i think we might have both been suffer late night fuzzy heads.

i do know what you mean though, and you're probably right. mine went from between 1-3mbps on speedtests last night between 9pm & 11pm to 20mbps+ in the early hours when less people would be using it.

methinks it's time to call UPC and complain about low speeds during peak hours again to get them to do a few upgrades locally and even it out again. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

At 9.03 this morning huge improvment

672355496.png

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

filled the form out yesterday and my connection has been **** since!!!

672356948.png

• Advertisement

Big early morning speeds. Wired to the router.

672363193.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement