Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC offering 30Mbps broadband and problems with upgrade

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Blindpew wrote: »
    I wonder if this means that the cap will be raised from 250gb to 320gb a month? If not there is no point in upgrading the service.

I agree an increase in cap would be nice but how is it useless without that. Files download quicker. That's a big advantage to me and a load of other people I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

I have read through the AUP and the only mention I can find of a cap is

"Your monthly data transfer allowance depends upon which broadband package you have selected. The data transfer allowances for the various packages can be found at www.upc.ie. All monthly data transfer allowances refer to the cumulative amount of data uploaded and downloaded per month, unless otherwise specified in your particular package"

And on the main broadband section it says unlimited for 10Mb and 20Mb, anyone able to show me where it mentions 250GB?????

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

IrishTonyO wrote: »

"Your monthly data transfer allowance depends upon which broadband package you have selected. The data transfer allowances for the various packages can be found at www.upc.ie. All monthly data transfer allowances refer to the cumulative amount of data uploaded and downloaded per month, unless otherwise specified in your particular package"

And on the main broadband section it says unlimited for 10Mb and 20Mb, anyone able to show me where it mentions 250GB?????

You generally find out after you exceed it. It's sneaky but apparantly legal.

Don't see how it can be legal when they tell you it is unlimited. Has anyone complained to comreg or anyone about it? Don;t think I will be exceeding it but would be good to know. You could surely make a complaint to advertising authority for false advertising as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Blindpew

Don't see how it can be legal when they tell you it is unlimited. Has anyone complained to comreg or anyone about it? Don;t think I will be exceeding it but would be good to know. You could surely make a complaint to advertising authority for false advertising as well.

I think UPC know that because it's Ireland they can advertise what they like and get away with it.
    They send you a letter if you exceed 250gb which explains that they can terminate you, put you on an extreame package with a mystery cap, or if they so wish cut you off altogether.
    In relation to the speed increase I think certainly that if someone is currently on a 10mb package then the increase would be noticable. But on a 20mb package I don't think it will be that much help. They should increase the upload speed, that would make more sense and also raise the cap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

The upload is to go to 3Mb if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,421 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I can't get over the whiners on this thread..:mad:
    I'd love to have 20/30meg download instead of 7 meg from eircom and a crapy 50gb which I ignore anyway.. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Jolly85

UPC offering new broadband speeds in Jan, existing customers will have to request for their current BB speed to be upgraded to the new speed for the same price eg those currently on 10mb for €32pm, can get the 15mb upgrade at no extra cost, but will enter a new 12 month contract.

Next year they are aiming for 130mb BB, but not untill the second half of 2010.

Hope this helps.

Jolly85 wrote: »
    UPC offering new broadband speeds in Jan, existing customers will have to request for their current BB speed to be upgraded to the new speed for the same price eg those currently on 10mb for €32pm, can get the 15mb upgrade at no extra cost, but will enter a new 12 month contract.

Next year they are aiming for 130mb BB, but not untill the second half of 2010.

Hope this helps.

where did you get this information from re signing a new contract etc? there is nothing on upc about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Jolly85

where did you get this information from re signing a new contract etc? there is nothing on upc about it

Even if you upgrade your TV pack (analogue to digital) you enter a new contract, same applies for broadband.

• Advertisement

I take it then that you are assuming this not that you have the information?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

God if this is the reaction of people if they release a free upgrade its makes you wonder why they bother at all. If I was them I'd say f**k it they dont care about it at all and will only spark a moan fest so lets just keep the product as is.

Its FREE ,and can only be of benefit to us all, dont look a gift horse in the mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭cbr954

Hopefully upc will upgrade Bray next year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭_Sidhe_

Whe you look at any of the packages that say "unlimited"

You'll see that in fact they say "unlimited *"

And when you look at "*" at the end of the page, it clearly says "subject to a fair usage policy".

Listen people, this doesn't have do be done out two or three times in every single thread!

There is no.....NO....unlimited BB packages.
    They are all.....ALL....subject to a Fair Usage Policy.
    Bandwidth isn't free, and there will always be people that try totake advantage of a system.
    Would you like to be sharing contention with somebody downloading 24/7 at 30 MB?

No.

_Sidhe_ wrote: »
    Whe you look at any of the packages that say "unlimited"

You'll see that in fact they say "unlimited *"

And when you look at "*" at the end of the page, it clearly says "subject to a fair usage policy".

No.

No Sidhe heres what is on their site no * etc.

What do I get?

• Dedicated support team available to assist with many of your broadband and computer issues. Click here for details.
    • 10Mb downstream; 1Mb upstream
    • 24 hour online connection - no time restrictions
    • No telephone line required
    • No usage limit
    • Up to 15 email addresses
    • 300MB web space
    • FREE wireless router

*Sigh*

upc.jpg

BT

BT.jpg

And in the UK, for all of the "typical Ireland/ damn COMREG" posters.

Virgin

Virgin1.jpg

Virgin2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

_Sidhe_ wrote: »
    *Sigh*

upc.jpg

You killed my father. Prepare to die.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I'm happy.

UPC never given me a problem, been a bit fluttery last month but I believe it was down to line upgrades in my area.

I'd been told by a upc employee the upgrades from the 20mb package were going to 50mb in the new year, so I'm going to wait to see which I get.

Either way I'm happy, and I'd gladly sign another 12 month contract...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Onikage wrote: »
    You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Haha, beat me to it.

At least it wasn't an embarrassing last google search :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 dublinpd

Can anyone recommend the 3Mb package 28(no tv conn)? Is it good for streaming audio/video? watch/listen something live...? I've got mobile 3 and it's not what I was expecting...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

dublinpd wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend the 3Mb package 28(no tv conn)? Is it good for streaming audio/video? watch/listen something live...? I've got mobile 3 and it's not what I was expecting...
    3mb is fine for general stuff such as going on boards or watching SD videos on youtube :) If you want to stream HD content I would recommend getting 10mb or over speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭John2009

Hey guys, i'm thinking of switching over to UPC from Eircom, my contract with Eircom is up in 3 weeks time and i'm pretty ready to move from them.

My question is that should i sign up now or wait until their supposed speed upgrade in january, or if i do sign up do you think i will get the automatic upgrade or will i have to request it from them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

John2009 wrote: »
    Hey guys, i'm thinking of switching over to UPC from Eircom, my contract with Eircom is up in 3 weeks time and i'm pretty ready to move from them.

My question is that should i sign up now or wait until their supposed speed upgrade in january, or if i do sign up do you think i will get the automatic upgrade or will i have to request it from them?

The question is would you be changing over to UPC if they weren't doing an upgrade in Jan. If the answer is no then stick with Eircom and then switch sometime in Jan.

If it were me I'd sign up now, but I did the switch years ago. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭John2009

Ah i'm definately switching over thats guaranteed but would it be an automatic upgrade to 30megs in january or do i need to get on to them for the upgrade.

It could be either but even if it is not automatic all you do is ring them and then do it for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

want to order the 15meg broadband now but its only 10meg on website seen someone say 4th of jan here , would i be best off ordering after christmas or now ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Not much difference, your 12 months contract starts again from January if you opt to upgrade in January, that is all.

If you opt not to upgrade you remain on the slower speed .

Hi,

Have been given some news regarding this. Exisiting customers will not be upgraded until March and no change in the contract. However if they want to be upgraded sooner from Jan 4th, can fill in a form online and they will be upgraded within a week but will have to sign a new 12 month contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I'll take that contract option.

Btw, friend of mine in work did a speedtest yesterday, and his upc line is reporting 80mb download and 4mb upload from upc, hes is on the 20mb package.

Dublin city.

Talk about lucky bastard, id say its only a matter of time before they find out but my jaw dropped when he showed me the speedtest result.

Co-incidently had a sales guy from upc at the door, confirmed the 30mb thing announced. But he also said they could " have your line running up to 100mbs easily" but they hold back until the competition offer better packages, then rollout free upgrades.

Promising news, and why I'll be sticking with upc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement