Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

Gophur wrote: »
    You are deliberately misinterpreting my post.

What has Harrington won since the PGA victory?

Why change what was , obviously, working ?

I'm sorry but I'm not deliberately miss reading any thing..........I'm responding to a post as I read it.

As you are aware, Harrington has won nothing since the PGA, because, like Faldo he is searching for perfection and HE believes he needs to change a few things to "move it to the next level". Maybe we should credit him with something and trust he knows what is good for his game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

neckedit wrote: »
    ......... Maybe we should credit him with something and trust he knows what is good for his game.

You can credit him, all you want, the results speak for themselves.

You can credit him, all you want, the results speak for themselves.

Exactly and the results will always show 2 Open Championships and 1 USPGA, And for the future who knows, but I'm very confident the are a few more titles left in him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

neckedit wrote: »
    Exactly and the results will always show 2 Open Championships and 1 USPGA, And for the future who knows, but I'm very confident the are a few more titles left in him.

Again, you are deliberately misinterpreting what I have posted.

You discuss the changes Harrington is making yet use his pre-changes results to justify the same changes.

The effectiveness of his changes, the wisdom of his tinkering with something that was not broken, remains to be seen. So far, the results, due to his changes, show he has made a catastrophic mistake.

Again, you are deliberately misinterpreting what I have posted.

You discuss the changes Harrington is making yet use his pre-changes results to justify the same changes.

The effectiveness of his changes, the wisdom of his tinkering with something that was not broken, remains to be seen. So far, the results, due to his changes, show he has made a catastrophic mistake.

Again, I am not Deliberately doing any thing, I am responding to your post as i read it, if I am missing something I am sorry.
    I am cititng his success "pre changes" as you call it, cause he is still working on bits n bobs to improve,and I can't comment on his future wins. No body said his technique was flawed or broken, but Harrington is a perfectionist and he will do what he thinks is correct to reach his full potential.......time will tell if its a "catastrophic mistake"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭Speak Now

heavyballs wrote: »
    i agree, i'll hold my hand up and say i honestly didn't think he'd keep his card this year,but why are Irish people so set against the odd negative comment about Shane or any other player,we don't all have to love the chap and support him, but as you said most want him to do well,to those who don't i don't see it as a big deal.
    You'll hear Brits giving out all the time about their sportspeople but you never hear the Brits being described as begrudgers just us Irish

Hey Heavy! He could have missed every cut this year and still kept his card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

Hey Heavy! He could have missed every cut this year and still kept his card.

thanks for that Jerry

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

2 missed cuts in a row sees Lowry drop to 98 in the world rankings.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Aidric wrote: »
    2 missed cuts in a row sees Lowry drop to 98 in the world rankings.

52nd now in race to Dubai, holding a top 60 in first full season would be a good achievement. Only 42K to spare now so could do with picking up some cheques. Have a feeling he might miss out this year, form seems to be tailing off. Only 1 sub 70 round in the last 11. Granted that was a 64 :pac: Last 2 events have been the first back to back cuts he missed all year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

must get that voodoo doll back out

c'mon shane - do it for the poor impoverished people of offaly, laois and carlow

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

the guy needs to lose about 3 stone in weight,
    you cant be fully committed and concentrated if your struggling on the final day with a big red face out of exaustion,
    hes a great golfer but needs to realise being fat is a serious disadvantage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

AnneFrank wrote: »
    you cant be fully committed and concentrated if your struggling on the final day with a big red face out of exaustion,

You probably have a point but if he did lose weight he'd have to redo his swing, though I do think his fitness will need to improve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Jesus. The guy is 22/23 and has gone froma successful amatuer to an unexpected win at the Irish Open to a great 1st year as a touring pro.

From reports he has been working on fitness, in what capacity I don't know, I know he was doing a bit with Eric Miller who does a lot of core strenght work.

He would have been playing a hell of a lot more competitive rounds as an amatuer so coming out with a quote saying ''big red face out of exaustion'' is ridiculous.

Im sure he will be in the gym a bit over the winter but his priority this year im sure would have been not to get lost on the tour which he hasn't, he has been excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

amcalester wrote: »
    You probably have a point but if he did lose weight he'd have to redo his swing, though I do think his fitness will need to improve.
    If he lost the weight gradually then he might be able to adjust his swing as the weight comes off.

If he lost the weight gradually then he might be able to adjust his swing as the weight comes off.

True, tricky situation though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 duck67

Jiminez, smokes, Drinks, Pot belly= Class golfer
    Fitness yeah right,

duck67 wrote: »
    Fitness yeah right,

Being overweight and being fit enough are two different things.u

You can be skinny and unfit just like you can be overweight and quite fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭BiffoGooner

amcalester wrote: »

You can be skinny and unfit just like you can be overweight and quite fit.

Well then I'm sure Shane fits into that category. He wouldn't be where he is if he wasn't moderately fit at least. Bear in mind his father was a county footballer, so he probably spent much of his youth playing GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 duck67

Anyone thats over-weight and thinks the are quite fit are fooling themselves,

I saw shane 3 weeks ago in the flesh and he is nothing like the TV makes him out, Slightly over-weight,

I would'nt mind his swing, Good potential as a golfer hopefully,

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Well then I'm sure Shane fits into that category. He wouldn't be where he is if he wasn't moderately fit at least. Bear in mind his father was a county footballer, so he probably spent much of his youth playing GAA.

his brother is an excellent golfer as well so they spent many a day in esker hills in tullamore!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭BiffoGooner

charlieIRL wrote: »
    his brother is an excellent golfer as well so they spent many a day in esker hills in tullamore!

That place will get ya fit alright!

AGC wrote: »
    Jesus. The guy is 22/23 and has gone froma successful amatuer to an unexpected win at the Irish Open to a great 1st year as a touring pro.

From reports he has been working on fitness, in what capacity I don't know, I know he was doing a bit with Eric Miller who does a lot of core strenght work.

He would have been playing a hell of a lot more competitive rounds as an amatuer so coming out with a quote saying ''big red face out of exaustion'' is ridiculous.

Im sure he will be in the gym a bit over the winter but his priority this year im sure would have been not to get lost on the tour which he hasn't, he has been excellent.

i want him to do well dont get me wrong,
    but he looks like a whale compared to the other pros,
    name a player in the top ten whos anywhere near as heavy as him,
    you cant because you have to be as fit as an athelete these days to compete under the huge pressure these guys are under,
    and if he ever wants to win in the states you cant be that overweight,
    why do you think john daly is putting staples in himself

duck67 wrote: »
    Fitness yeah right,

hes the only one in the top 50 id say and hes not that big,
    healthy body healthy mind,
    look at tiger as the prime example,
    mickleson lost weight for the same reason

i want him to do well dont get me wrong,
    but he looks like a whale compared to the other pros,
    name a player in the top ten whos anywhere near as heavy as him,
    you cant because you have to be as fit as an athelete these days to compete under the huge pressure these guys are under,
    and if he ever wants to win in the states you cant be that overweight,
    why do you think john daly is putting staples in himself

And im sure he will loose weight but in his 1st year as a pro his priority wouldn't have been what size he is.

Just think people making what seem like personal attacks about the guys size are OTT.

Wouldn't mind being that size myself if i could play like him

AGC wrote: »
    And im sure he will loose weight but in his 1st year as a pro his priority wouldn't have been what size he is.

Just think people making what seem like personal attacks about the guys size are OTT.

Wouldn't mind being that size myself if i could play like him

im not attacking him i actually like watching him hes a great player,
    the point im trying to make is he could be even better if he was fitter,
    the guy has the talent to win majors

the point im trying to make is he could be even better if he was fitter,
    the guy has the talent to win majors

Cant disagree there

lowry has a big red face on him at the first tee
    dont think hes suffering from exhaustion
    at this stage in the season it is usually mental strength that is tested most
    he prob needs a few sessions with bob rotella, bill cullen or some other such guru
    his game should be very fluid right now - sure hes been practicing full stop for a whole year

i think we'll see a top 10 finish in either the scottish or british open next season
    he should comfortably qualify for dubai
    and should squeeze into ryder cup qualification territory

who knows, maybe by the next ryder cup we may have two lowry brothers competing along with the two italians

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

conno16 wrote: »
    lowry has a big red face on him at the first tee
    dont think hes suffering from exhaustion
    at this stage in the season it is usually mental strength that is tested most
    he prob needs a few sessions with bob rotella, bill cullen or some other such guru
    his game should be very fluid right now - sure hes been practicing full stop for a whole year

i think we'll see a top 10 finish in either the scottish or british open next season
    he should comfortably qualify for dubai
    and should squeeze into ryder cup qualification territory

who knows, maybe by the next ryder cup we may have two lowry brothers competing along with the two italians

I'm going to buy you a big bag full of commas, full stops and capital letters for Christmas, Conno.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭f22

Jimdagym wrote: »
    I'm going to buy you a big bag full of commas, full stops and capital letters for Christmas, Conno.

You don't start learning that until second class Jim, give him time, he's only getting over his Holy Communion!

• Advertisement

shame lowrys twitter contributions are great for all people suffering from insomnia
    the curse of the internet eh
    surely he could get some bogger from tullamore to upload some interesting tweets

Advertisement