Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

gorfield wrote: »
    Mods, i think this thread should be locked. Its an ad board for people to knock/pisstake one of our great sportsmen.
    If shane does well- oh it was a crap field or he got lucky with the weather or something.
    If shane even misses a fairway- Oh hes clearly not good enough etc etc etc.......:rolleyes:

Listening to these armchair experts that couldnt break 100 on these courses is getting increasingly boring and turning me off this forum fast. :mad:
    :rolleyes: Seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Daithio9

Mods, i think this thread should be locked. Its an ad board for people to knock/pisstake one of our great sportsmen.
    If shane does well- oh it was a crap field or he got lucky with the weather or something.
    If shane even misses a fairway- Oh hes clearly not good enough etc etc etc.......:rolleyes:

Listening to these armchair experts that couldnt break 100 on these courses is getting increasingly boring and turning me off this forum fast. :mad:
    Picard_Facepalm_by_LuckyHRE.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭BiffoGooner

No, you don't have to like a golfer from the same country as yourself.

But, by the same token, just because he is from the same country as you it doesn't mean you should be free to single him out for extra criticism.There's not many golfers on the European tour that have taken as much slack on these boards as Lowry has over the last few months.(Bar Ian Poulter maybe :D)

If people aren't a fan of the chap, fair enough.But there's no need to come on here taking the piss out of him either.

By the way, I'm not singling out you, Ziggy.But in general, in this thread over the last few months there's been some ridiculous comments about Shane.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

LOL, get over yourself. So because he is your friend nobody else is allowed have an opinion on him? The worst thing siad about hime this week was that a 77 on moving day is poor....would you disagree?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,520 ✭✭✭Speak Now

:confused: i'll think you'll find most on here are praising him.
    No shame in throwing in a poor round in India, who know's how he's taken to the place on his frist trip. Also from looking at the leaderboard these grainy greens seem to lead to nothing but expierence coming to the top of leaderboard.
    At this stage of his career making cuts is progress!
    I'm delighted for him. Any week they've shown him coming off 18 on sky he looks like he's living the dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

:confused: i'll think you'll find most on here are praising him.
    No shame in throwing in a poor round in India, who know's how he's taken to the place on his frist trip. Also from looking at the leaderboard these grainy greens seem to lead to nothing but expierence coming to the top of leaderboard.
    At this stage of his career making cuts is progress!
    I'm delighted for him. Any week they've shown him coming off 18 on sky he looks like he's living the dream.

+1. Most people are fans of the guy and want him to do well. He's a professional now, a public figure of sorts and as such can expect criticism and praise in equal measure. He played brilliant in a very strong field in abu dhabi (i think) a few weeks ago. This week a poor weekend in a poor field. These are facts. There was one poster who was fairly idiotically critical of him, but aside from that most of it is fair comment and most want him to succeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

He shot a 75 today to finish in a tie for 59th, 15 shots off the lead. Considering he went in to the weekend three shots off the lead that's a fairly significant collapse. Hopefully it's just a blip.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Aidric wrote: »
    He shot a 75 today to finish in a tie for 59th, 15 shots off the lead. Considering he went in to the weekend three shots off the lead that's a fairly significant collapse. Hopefully it's just a blip.

How dare you say that :mad:

75 is a great score :)

Aidric wrote: »

4th week on the bounce playing in countries he has never been to, fatigue probably played it's part. Hope he doesn't go over board on the tournaments he plays. He can get into anything he wants in europe (Bar he open)so should be able to plan his year handy unlike Gary!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭LittleLiam

Emotional return for Irish Open hero Lowry

• By Karl MacGinty
    Saturday July 24 2010

IT was the wettest, wildest and most wonderful day in Irish Open history.
    Memories of that special Sunday, when plain Shane Lowry from Clara, Co Offaly, brought the Croke Park roar to golf, will be refreshed next week in Killarney as he defends his '3' Irish Open title.
    Lowry now is vastly changed from the 22-year-old amateur who sparked a glorious conflagration in his home county and made headlines around the globe with his astonishing victory at Baltray. Forget Francis Ouimet. To Irish eyes, Lowry's win in his first appearance at his national open was 'The Greatest Story Ever Told'.
    Except Sheridan or Spielberg must wait a decade or more for the career of this young Irishman to come to its climax...the tale of Shane Lowry, world golfer, had only just begun that weekend at Co Louth.
    The cheers were still echoing around Esker Hills when Lowry turned professional, plunging in at the Tour's deep end a fortnight later at The European Open at The London Club.
    This decision, taken in consultation with his dad Brendan, an All-Ireland football legend with Offaly, mum Bridget and coach Neil Manchip, was inspired.
    Lowry could have marked time, spending four cozy months at home as the hero waiting for last September's Walker Cup. Instead, he took on the greatest challenge of his young life.
    Though victory at Baltray brought with it the guarantee of a Tour card until the end of 2011 and a measure of respect from Europe's professionals, it takes time for any newcomer to find comfort and true acceptance among the game's elite.
    Almost inevitably, Lowry missed the cut in his first three tournaments as a pro and, ludicrously, some of those who'd cheered loudest began to whisper.
    Yet he'd silence them all, making that important first breakthrough to the weekend at the French Open. With his grip on the ladder firm, Lowry then began the steady climb which has brought him up to World No 79 today.
    With just over €600,000 earned in 36 events across four continents over the past 14 months, Lowry has a confident spring in his step as he heads for Killarney.
    "At first, it did take me time to find my feet," Lowry admits. "But that feels almost like a lifetime ago. Now I know I belong out here."
    magnificent
    That's certainly how it looked at St Andrews last week as Lowry strode with confidence onto the greatest stage of them all, The British Open at The Old Course, receiving loud endorsement from the vast crowds around the 18th green as he regaled them with magnificent birdies on all four days.
    Lowry's first-round 68 -- though overshadowed by Rory McIlroy's record 63 -- was a remarkable effort by a young man making his Major Championship debut and, were it not for a couple of strokes of misfortune on Sunday, he'd have finished far higher than 37th.
    Yet one shot at St Andrews last weekend summed up the rare gift this young golfer has been given. Indeed, had it been struck by Tiger Woods or Phil Mickelson, it would be a candidate for 'Shot of the Season'. Yet the TV cameras were pointed elsewhere when Lowry produced a true stroke of genius at 17 last Saturday.
    From a prohibitively tight lie, he hit an exquisite, full-blooded flop shot high over the infamous Road Hole bunker, landing his ball softly within two feet of the pin. "It's probably the best chip shot I've ever seen in my life," said Dermot Byrne (34) Lowry's caddie and on Tour since his teens. "I told Shane it was the sort of stuff I should be paying to watch.
    "Get it wrong, and he was going to hit it over the wall and out of bounds. It was high risk and very few players would have taken it on. To be honest, I've never seen anyone who chips the ball better than Shane -- and I've seen a few."
    Confirmation of this came from Ryder Cup star Robert Karlsson, who played with Lowry last Sunday and several times before. "Shane's all-round game is good, it's solid, but his chipping is unbelievable. It's fantastic," said the Swede.
    When Karlsson saw Lowry hole out from over the back of the 11th green last Sunday, he exclaimed: "Wow, that's the best chip I've seen." To which both Irishmen responded in unison: "You didn't see the one at 17 yesterday".
    The progress made by Lowry, his caddie says, are best measured in his confidence to attempt the impossible and "show off" his talent on the biggest stage. "Sometimes out there, you're afraid to make a mistake. You're afraid to be unbelievable, if you known what I mean," he says.
    Since he started working with Lowry last July, Byrne has been thrilled by his worth ethic, which matches that of Padraig Harrington. "I said that to Padraig's caddie Ronan Flood only the other day in Lough Erne. Shane's prepared to work at it from bright to dark and because of that, he's now playing more like a professional golfer.
    "He's 23, but his golf is far older. He's also more mature than 23. Shane's an intelligent fellow and you can tell he comes from a sporting background by the way he responds to criticism or advice. He's able to handle anything you throw at him," Byrne says.
    "It's great that all his hard work has been yielding results. He should just keep on doing what he's doing. He's the type of fellow who doesn't need a lot of coaching.
    "He goes out and plays with his heart on his sleeve and when it's on, it's unbelievable. He's making huge strides but, believe me, there's a lot more to come. So far, we've only scratched the surface."
    Lowry's relishing the prospect of defending his title in front of packed galleries at Killarney. "To be honest," he says. "I don't know what next week will bring because I've never defended at a tournament before.
    "I suppose I'll go down and treat it as I would any other Tour event. I'll work as hard and prepare as well as I usually do. Whether I end up with a missed cut or a win, I can only do my best. Yet I can't wait to stand on that first tee on Thursday. As a professional golfer, that's the only place you want to be, performing in front of big crowds."
    Lowry truly is a young man in his element.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

He his hitting form at just the right time so I wouldn't be surprised if he went on and won the 3 Irish Open. Remember he is only 22 so he has a huge future ahead of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

ziggy wrote: »

PIcs or GTFO:p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,444 ✭✭✭Trampas

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭carplates

lads lads lads, believe me when i say he will be a top 25 in the world player in the next 2 years, this boy can play, he will over take harrington due to the fact that ph is on the way out and he is move up the ladder, all he needs is a good result in the irish open and he is in the top 50 and then in the uspga, by the way fitness is over rated in golf imo, if he lost weight he would have to change so much in his swing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

carplates wrote: »
    lads lads lads, believe me when i say he will be a top 25 in the world player in the next 2 years, QUOTE]

i bet u wouldn't bet on that,he is doing great,but in terms of world ranking he's flattered slightly,if he can stay in the top 100 over the next 2 years that would be a great achievement,
    btw what's all this lads lads lads sheite?
    and why should we beleive u?

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Jasonw

I hope to be having a few words with Mr. Lowery tomorrow as he is doing the official opening at our club if there's any particular message you would like to pass on Conno.............

OR....

you could come down to Cobh golf club tomorrow and tell him yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭GorHugh

Jasonw wrote: »
    I hope to be having a few words with Mr. Lowery tomorrow as he is doing the official opening at our club if there's any particular message you would like to pass on Conno.............

OR....

you could come down to Cobh golf club tomorrow and tell him yourself!

Hahahaha ..... i would pay to see that ..... i'd have 50 on lowry to knock him out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭soundsham

Another handy cheque this week
    !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭butter13222

lads lads lads, believe me when i say he will be a top 25 in the world player in the next 2 years, this boy can play, he will over take harrington due to the fact that ph is on the way out and he is move up the ladder, all he needs is a good result in the irish open and he is in the top 50 and then in the uspga, by the way fitness is over rated in golf imo, if he lost weight he would have to change so much in his swing.

lol harrington on the way out

soundsham wrote: »
    Another handy cheque this week
    !!

400K for the season!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭G1032

lads lads lads, believe me when i say he will be a top 25 in the world player in the next 2 years, this boy can play,
    yes, he can play. He's a professional golfer. Of course he can play.
    he will over take harrington due to the fact that ph is on the way out and he is move up the ladder,
    How is it a fact that Padraig is on the way out? On the way out of where exactly?
    all he needs is a good result in the irish open and he is in the top 50 and then in the uspga,

Is that all? Dead easy sure. Did he get the good result?
    by the way fitness is over rated in golf imo, if he lost weight he would have to change so much in his swing.

All the worlds best players must be wasting their time in the gym so. Sure what pro needs to be fit? Ya, real easy to cope with the demands of modern professional golf if you're not fit. Why exactly do you believe fitness is overated in golf? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭thelongfellow

How is it a fact that Padraig is on the way out? On the way out of where exactly?

All the worlds best players must be wasting their time in the gym so. Sure what pro needs to be fit? Ya, real easy to cope with the demands of modern professional golf if you're not fit. Why exactly do you believe fitness is overated in golf? :confused:

Don't be jealous and bitter.
    On the way out the gate.
    Yes he did.
    Which is more important to the modern day golfer-the range or the gym? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

On the way out the gate.
    Yes he did.
    Which is more important to the modern day golfer-the range or the gym? :rolleyes:

Sorry.....what do you mean....... "on his way out the gate"? can you please explain this to me, cause I think I'm missing something.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭G1032

On the way out the gate.
    Yes he did.

Check again. He didn't get a good enough result to get into the World's top 50. He is 80th at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭thelongfellow

Check again. He didn't get a good enough result to get into the World's top 50. He is 80th at the moment.

So he's not in the USPGA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Sandwlch

Is not what he is saying despite your literal reading of the post. He means Lowry can play well, and even by the standard of tour pros, plays better than most. But you knew that.
    Of nowhere exactly. But you knew that too. Or look up standard English idioms meaning to be waning, declining, or coming to the end of a period.
    No need to read up on sarcasm though! He got a good result though, but not enough for the USPGA.

Herd mentality, and a competitive element to try for every possible advantage whether there is evidence to back it up or not (right down to only using blue tees, not using balls with number 4 on them or whatever - despite there being no evidence that it will benefit their score). Golf is a precision skill rather than a fitness contest and the evidence for fitness making any difference is very slim. Witness T Watson missing out on last years open by a short putt - without any disrespect to him, every other man in the field would probably have beaten him in any standard fitness test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

Sandwlch wrote: »
    Herd mentality, and a competitive element to try for every possible advantage whether there is evidence to back it up or not (right down to only using blue tees, not using balls with number 4 on them or whatever - despite there being no evidence that it will benefit their score). Golf is a precision skill rather than a fitness contest and the evidence for fitness making any difference is very slim. Witness T Watson missing out on last years open by a short putt - without any disrespect to him, every other man in the field would probably have beaten him in any standard fitness test.

so you're using 1 example of a legend nearly winning the open v fitter opponents,this is bs,all the top pro's attribute a strict fitness regime to many of their sucesses,there are a few exceptions but if you go and watch an event live you will see how fit these guys are
    the tv doesn't do them justice
    and your point about precision skill,do me a favour will ya,power in the modern game is No1,i teach kids and they learn the movements required to hit the ball with power first then i straigten them up and they learn precision in time,
    you ask any of the top teaching pro's how important fitness is and they'll all tell you it's a huge part

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

"Of nowhere exactly. But you knew that too. Or look up standard English idioms meaning to be waning, declining, or coming to the end of a period."

Can some one please explain all this Harrington Bashing? don't get me wrong I find him as irratating to watch as most,He can be incredibly slow and its heart breaking when we feel he's thrown another one away, but the he still remains one of the most competitive players around, Ok he hasn't won for a while but he's out competing every week! To be honest I think he'll be giving us plenty more to cheer about for the next few years too.

Advertisement