Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

Not necessarily, it could be mental and related to concentration. However from my rugby days I know if you aren't worried about fitness it is a lot easier to concentrate on actually playing the game.

that doesn't really come in to play with golf though,just because he appears to be overweight that doesn't mean he's not fit,if Shane was to loose weight it might prove destructive to his game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

heavyballs wrote: »
    that doesn't really come in to play with golf though,just because he appears to be overweight that doesn't mean he's not fit,if Shane was to loose weight it might prove destructive to his game.

That's true also. You can be thin and unfit or fat and unfit and that could have nothing to do with why Shane Lowry loses concentration.

You don't have to be the fittest person in the world to walk round a golf course 4 days in a row and he manages most weeks. But if he himself mentally has anything to worry about other than his golf game then it could be the cause of the concentration laspse. Of course, he could have worries off the golf course, just have poor concentration or just be going through a bad patch.

No matter what it is though I'd still give my left arm to be able to play golf like him :)
    (Although minus my left arm I aren't sure I'd manage it!)

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭ghosttown

Fair play to Shane Lowry there, birdied the last two to make the cut, hopefully he can pick up enough to get back inside the top 60 for Dubai. Must be tense for all those between 50-70....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,508 ✭✭✭Trampas

ghosttown wrote: »
    Fair play to Shane Lowry there, birdied the last two to make the cut, hopefully he can pick up enough to get back inside the top 60 for Dubai. Must be tense for all those between 50-70....

Not as tense as does around the 115 mark

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭esker man

ghosttown wrote: »

T18, € 37300 picked up, 61 in race to Dubai

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭BiffoGooner

esker man wrote: »
    T18, € 37300 picked up, 61 in race to Dubai

Delighted for him. Top 20 finish on a course like Valderrama is no easy task, especially with the wind as heavy as it was. Hopefully he'll have a good run in the last few events and get into the top 60 for Dubai.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭soundsham

great shooting today...

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ridonkulous

66 to make it on the number...nice.

Shame for Murphy. Back to tour school for him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

poor round today and going to miss the cut so gonna miss the R2D unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

pity, a decent season, but just didnt do it at the weekends for the last couple of months and slipped behind.

• Advertisement

unlucky
    good season....much to be posive about

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Anto12

Just think he ran out of steam .. Pity would loved to see him tee it up in Dubai - good opening season though ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

2 missed cuts from 2 so far for Lowry. Not a huge surprise after being out with the wrist injury. Hopefully better to come from him as he shakes the rust off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

not looking good
    might be back working on the farm before long
    he'd be an ideal candidate to lead Bord na Mona campaigns - boggers all over the place could identify with his poor grasp of the english language, poor sense of style, his farmers tan, his stylish collection of t-shirts, his preference for wearing different socks at any given time, his gelled-up look for nights on the town, his fondness for singing the fields of athenry following the consumption of 2-3 pints of the black-stuff, his loyalty to copper faced jacks when up in the big schmoke, his continued patronage of hotdog street venders, etc

He could be in coppers more often now
    As I heard he's single and being moved to Dublin by his management

• Registered Users Posts: 7,508 ✭✭✭Trampas

it is flannerys and not coppers conno

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭GetInTheHole!

I like Shane and would really like to see him do well.

But did anybody see the article and more worryingly the photo of him in Saturday's independent?

http://www.independent.ie/sport/golf/fitness-not-to-blame-for-horror-80-insists-lowry-2595372.html

Unfortunately this link does not show the photo - but for those that saw it - you couldn't help but worry about his weight and the effect that may have on his performance / career.

The man has a serious opportunity on his hands and it would be awful for him not to give it the best go he could.

Fitness of body, fitness of mind etc.

Does anybody know if this is even a concern of those working with him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

+10 on the back 9 yesterday:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭goodgolfer64

weight not an issue here...had talked to him bout his fitness regime 2 years before he won the irish open...he had been doing it but said had given up...then went on to have a couple of superb amateur years...sure you only have to look at rory leonard...lost weight couldnt make par!!!!!then bounces back with first major and numerous scratch cups....
    not a good start for shane but he will get his game in order soon hopefully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

weight not an issue here...had talked to him bout his fitness regime 2 years before he won the irish open...he had been doing it but said had given up...then went on to have a couple of superb amateur years...sure you only have to look at rory leonard...lost weight couldnt make par!!!!!then bounces back with first major and numerous scratch cups....
    not a good start for shane but he will get his game in order soon hopefully

Of course it's an issue. If you are travelling the world expecting to put 4-5 weeks in a row your fitness needs to be good so you have to the energy to play and for the mental side.

Big difference jumping on a flight every Sunday and trying to get practice in in a different country every week to driving from Clara to Baltray

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Squiggle

AGC wrote: »
    Of course it's an issue. If you are travelling the world expecting to put 4-5 weeks in a row your fitness needs to be good so you have to the energy to play and for the mental side.

Right. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

He needs to get going soon this year or may be in danger of loosing his card, think this is the last year of his exemption.
    Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

mike12 wrote: »
    He needs to get going soon this year or may be in danger of loosing his card, think this is the last year of his exemption.
    Mike

-3 through 7 today.

He definitely has game it's awkward coming back from a wrist injury. I expected him to have a big year this year, it was unfortunate that he got injured but there is plenty of golf to be played

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭f22

ssbob wrote: »
    -3 through 7 today.

He definitely has game it's awkward coming back from a wrist injury. I expected him to have a big year this year, it was unfortunate that he got injured but there is plenty of golf to be played

There's no doubt he has lots of talent, the problem seems to be how he applies it. Food/drink seems to be a good starting point and from what I have heard his management team have taken measures to get him on the straight and narrow.

I heard a story the other day (from what I would regard a pretty reliable source) on how the injury actually happened. I'm not going to repeat it publically but let's just say it wasn't what you'd expect from a professional sportsman.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

f22 wrote: »
    There's no doubt he has lots of talent, the problem seems to be how he applies it. Food/drink seems to be a good starting point and from what I have heard his management team have taken measures to get him on the straight and narrow.

I heard a story the other day (from what I would regard a pretty reliable source) on how the injury actually happened. I'm not going to repeat it publically but let's just say it wasn't what you'd expect from a professional sportsman.

I have spoken to Shane on Twitter and he really seems to be a top bloke, I am not going to judge any man on the fact that he may like a few pints and some food but when you look at the likes of John Daly (bad example) then you have got to worry that he will ever work as hard as he needs to. Then again he seems to be practicing hard lately.

He was tied 36th in the Open last year, I would expect the Open this year to be his motivation and will go a long way towards keeping his card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

ssbob wrote: »
    I have spoken to Shane on Twitter and he really seems to be a top bloke, I am not going to judge any man on the fact that he may like a few pints and some food but when you look at the likes of John Daly (bad example) then you have got to worry that he will ever work as hard as he needs to. Then again he seems to be practicing hard lately.

He was tied 36th in the Open last year, I would expect the Open this year to be his motivation and will go a long way towards keeping his card.

I also was told his caddy has him hooked on online iPhone gambling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭f22

IrishHomer wrote: »
    I also was told his caddy has him hooked on online iPhone gambling.

It's not prizemoney he's gambling, that's for sure!

AGC wrote: »

Big difference jumping on a flight every Sunday and trying to get practice in in a different country every week to driving from Clara to Baltray

hes not running a marathon????he only needs to get a grooved clubhead behind the ball in good timing!!!!
    he played far more competitive golf as an amateur than as pro............ where in all fairness the standard was as high when competiting...and if you didnt see this while he was playing as an amateur please dont waste your fingers replyin....
    end of the day this guy WON against top pros 1st time on european tour....
    ok may have picked up injury due to social outings....once confidence and game returns this guy will keep card!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

hes not running a marathon????he only needs to get a grooved clubhead behind the ball in good timing!!!!
    he played far more competitive golf as an amateur than as pro............ where in all fairness the standard was as high when competiting...and if you didnt see this while he was playing as an amateur please dont waste your fingers replyin....
    end of the day this guy WON against top pros 1st time on european tour....
    ok may have picked up injury due to social outings....once confidence and game returns this guy will keep card!!!

Sure if your granny had balls she would be your granda. he needs to get in the gym and lay off the sauce..all the amatuer medals are great to impress the lads in the clubhouse but are not worth a **** in the pro game.

• Advertisement

Jaysoose wrote: »
    Sure if your granny had balls she would be your granda. he needs to get in the gym and lay off the sauce..all the amatuer medals are great to impress the lads in the clubhouse but are not worth a **** in the pro game.

the above is short for you dont know your arse from your elbow in golfing term buddy!!!!!!
    you clearly didnt see how much this guy made last year on tour, 18 months after joining the tour????coming from a guy who knows so much...tell me what he is doing wrong???

he didnt bring any amateur medals out on the european tour....but im sure the local lads are still impressed by them.....

BTW i didnt see the pic in the indo.....but as i said before....rory leonard!!!

put your scratch trophies/championships/european tour trophies on the table???? and comment

Advertisement