Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rage against the machine for christmas number 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    I'm not talking about the money
    Read the rest of your post and your previous posts.
    i'm talking about making a statement. Which you are not, you are expanding the numbers, nothing more.
    I am making a statement here it is: "I don't want the x-Factor single to be number 1"
    Nothing changes for x factor or cowell. You have stuck no one. The most you have done is stick a big sign on your head saying *New Christmas single market OVER HERE!*
    Yes it does. Winning X-Factor doesn't equate automatically to Xmas number 1. That's a change in my eyes :rolleyes:

the numbers overall are up nothing more. Everybody wins!
    except those who wanted the other side to lose.
    Let that be the case. I'd call it a win.
    yeah just like Mr Blobby or the last five x factor singles no one cares about.

oooh. Just shot urself in the foot with that one. Well remembered :rolleyes:

If you don't see the point by now I give up. Happy Christmas!
    Enjoy your pressies :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

personnally I think its a f*cking stupid idea.

Sony own both. There's no f*ck you to anyone here, does it damage X factor??? No it doesnt all it means is that they'll milk the anti x facto mentality as much as it they already milk the bubblegum pop fans every year.

As someone said earlier, I would not put it pass being a viral campaign by sony, both last year and this year the *alternative album* to pick over x factor was owned by the same company pushing the x factor album.

Normally I'd be the last to jump in with conspiracy forum nutjobs, but something stinks here.

'I'll just do what someone else tells me' WRAGHHH I'M SUCH A REBEL RARARARA!

(idiots)

Completely agree. As much as I enjoy the RATM, with this endeavor the only people who win are Sony. Sure it can be argued thats its the point of ensuring the X Factor doesnt get to number 1 but its a weak argument and one that would be true if people werent still buying the X Factor single.

Its not like people are chosing to buy the RATM single instead of the X Factor single. Its 2 very distinct fan bases.

If anything it says that RATM fans are slightly egotistical. I always found many RATM fans to be rebellous in name anyway. and the music is too. I bet they all paid on the luas and bus to get the store to buy the album. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Rage Against The Machine on BBC Radio this morning. The person in charge of what goes out on the air must have been asleep.

Nothing changes for x factor or cowell.

Personally I'm not looking for "change". I'd like my taste in music to be represented in the charts. Things have become very samey over the last decade. It brings about an element of diversity, and with it a breath of fresh air. I think some folks are taking this far too seriously anyway. The founders of the facebook group themselves said its not about FIGHTING DA POWA!! Its a bit of fun with some charity thrown in for good measure.

Besides, if nothing else, it would be funny to see a group of nerds upset 12 weeks of marketing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

super-rush wrote: »
    Christmas number 1??? Remember where you heard it first.

A worthy no1. Super remix

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

oooh. Just shot urself in the foot with that one. Well remembered :rolleyes:

If you don't see the point by now I give up. Happy Christmas!
    Enjoy your pressies :D

1. I wikied that (you can look back a page where I said I looked up the list of christmas numbers ones)

2. I see your point, but firstly thats not what you said in your first post, you said it was about *sticking it to x factor* which quite frankly your not.

Secondly you want RATM to number 1, fine by me, like I said in an earlier post, I have no issue with people wanting to have RATM as number 1, what I do draw issue with is people thinking they are *sticking it* to X factor when they are clearly not, people saying its a a movement of the *alternative class* or other bollocks which again IT IS NOT!

These are two completely different issues.

And because of the costs of moving in the new year I dont get any pressies this year :D, but I'll enjoy spending the day with my family over dinner with no tv on or radio or interference from anything outside of that circle.
    Read the rest of your post and your previous posts.

I'm talking numbers as in units shipped as in the popularity of the product...Do I care where the money goes or how much of it there was? No I'm talking about the most accurate representation of how popular the two pieces of music were over the christmas season. Again there is a difference.

The founders of the facebook group themselves said its not about FIGHTING DA POWA!!

Then why are they selling the whole campaign on fighting da powa? Why couldnt it have been simply *Lets get RATM to number 1* why have rage factor and the comments about Cowell and X factor etc?

Again I stress to people quoting me and saying
    Personally I'm not looking for "change". I'd like my taste in music to be represented in the charts

or
    I just want to do it for fun

I have no issue with that, I salute you, best of luck I hope your wishes come true.

But to those who state they are representing the *alternative class* or *sticking it to Cowen* I do take issue.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

*sticking it to Cowen*

Fruedian slip there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

I agree with a lot of your points and we agree that it's not about money and stopping people buying tracks like the X-factor one, which isn't going to happen.
    You said it was about *sticking it to x factor* which quite frankly your not.
    This I disagree with. Simply put, for reasons mentioned previously. But hey you're entitled to your opinion as I am mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

I skipped most of this thread. Maybe somebody else has said it that RATM are going to give ALL of their royalties to charity...

There is now a charity page set up on the Irish facebook group...

Please give generously..(I started the ball rolling with a donation-peter)..

http://www.justgiving.com/explodingmarmalade

Rage against the machine Irish group..

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=231784611232&ref=ts

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Mossy Monk wrote: »

Rage Against The Machine on BBC Radio this morning. The person in charge of what goes out on the air must have been asleep.

LOL.

They really should have seen that one coming.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

To all the people analysing this to death and doing their best to look "too cool for school".

"I've had my fun, and that's all that matters.":D

Go on The Rage!

RonMexico wrote: »
    To all the people analysing this to death and doing their best to look "too cool for school".

"I've had my fun, and that's all that matters.":D

Go on The Rage!

Sums up my sentiments better than I ever could.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Reminds me of this - class:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I wouldn't even download either of them, Sony can shove their merry Christmas up their holes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

LOL.

They really should have seen that one coming.

LOL i think that the irony was completely lost on that Shelagh woman who cut the feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

I enjoyed every part of that immensely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Volvagia

I really like this campaign, that radio clip is hilarious as well, especially the ending "get rid of it!"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

So who's currently in the lead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Elektriksheep

For all the cynics out there and those who are thinking "Why should I bother supporting the campaign?"...

There are many many reasons why this campaign is a GREAT idea, SOME of which are: IT WOULD BE A LAUGH, it would be funny for "F*** YOU I WON'T DO WHAT YOU TELL ME" to be plastered all over the radio for Christmas, and future Christmas albums etc instead of the usual manufactured bullsh**, it makes a statement to people in the UK and elsewhere in the world that consumer demand can make a difference, it makes a statement about people power, it highlights the fact that not everyone likes manufactured karaoke products like Joe McElderry (but everyone has the right and choice to like that sort of thing if they like) and that thousands and thousands of people all over the UK believe in REAL music, lyrics, and vocals that are motivated out of passion, emotion, and inspiration and not motivated by a desire to become famous, rich, or popular.

Personally, in general, I don't watch TV, I don't watch X-Factor, and I don't pay any attention to the charts. To me, in general, the charts are fairly meaningless and do more to highlight the effectiveness of good (and well-funded) marketing than to represent the country's most popular artists. But on this occasion I feel it's important to take part in this campaign as it's an opportunity to make a bold, loud, and positive statement. AND IT'LL BE F***KING FUNNY.

AND JUST TO CLEAR THIS UP, Amazon's 29p MP3s DO count towards the charts, btw. I've called Amazon, myself, PERSONALLY, to confirm it (phone number's 0800 496 1081 if anyone wants to confirm for themselves, they're open till 9pm tonight).

Here's the link to where you can buy it...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001I4NZP4/ref=s9_sima_gw_s0_p340_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=12XA643E13S1ZRS31HV5&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467198433&pf_rd_i=468294

COME ON, PEOPLE, IT'S ONLY 29P. GET INVOLVED.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Amazon won't let .ie customers buy it, where else? I don't do itunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

We're sorry. We could not process your order because of geographical restrictions on the product which you were attempting to purchase. Please refer to the terms of use for this product to determine the geographical restrictions. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Dang.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭tpotter

LOL i think that the irony was completely lost on that Shelagh woman who cut the feed.

I agree, I mean the next line is "I won't do what you tell me," so I can't see how you would not expect that...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

This may already be posted, if so apologies.

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=2228594104&topic=14800
    If you download the |Nokia Music player, you can use these 4 redeem pin no's to get upto £16.00 worth of free music from the store. So you can dowload Killing In The Name for free!

This also counts towards the offical chart figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

Number 2 in the Irish charts last week, we need another pust to make it no.1

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

foinse wrote: »
    Number 2 in the Irish charts last week, we need another pust to make it no.1

As Sony and Simon Cowell rub their hands with glee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Elektriksheep

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Amazon won't let .ie customers buy it, where else? I don't do itunes.

Cool, man. Screw itunes :O)

You can get it from...

7DIGITAL - track #2
    http://bit.ly/ratm-7digital

TUNETRIBE - 49P - track #2 - LIVE version (yes it counts)
    http://bit.ly/ratm-tunetribe

TESCO DIGITAL - 67p - track #2
    http://bit.ly/ratm-tesco

HMV.COM - 79p (careful - this is track #1)
    http://hmv.com/hmvweb
    http://bit.ly/ratm-hmv

PLAY.COM - 70p - it's the only track on the page
    http://bit.ly/ratm-play

WE7 - £1.07p - track #2
    http://bit.ly/ratm-we7

iTUNES - 99p - track #2
    http://bit.ly/ratm-itunes

If this is not an incentive, I don't know what is...

http://www.gigwise.com/news/53956/X-Factors-Joe-McElderry-Rage-Against-The-Machine-Are-Dreadful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Got it earlier on 7digital, now where do i buy a version to affect the Irish charts?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

faceman wrote: »
    As Sony and Simon Cowell rub their hands with glee.

*sigh* This isn't about sticking it to Simon Cowell or sony. Plenty of people have pointed this out. It's mainly for the craic.

"They wouldn't get through to boot camp on The X Factor"

Yeah, 6 albums and numerous tours and awards are nowhere near as important as boot camp on x-factor.

Advertisement