Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rage against the machine for christmas number 1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 A_Leahy

No thank you dear, I know the word I was looking for.
    And not to be a pedant, but those were two words.

Man, you really aren't getting this. You're becomming a bit of a joke at this stage. Cynicism is contagious, I'm out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

good bye have a nice time abiding to the establishment while telling yourself over and over that your not and remember keep saying

*I believe in fairies I believe in fairies*

cause everybody knows saying it makes it true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

It is just a bit of fun FFS. Blitzkrieg you are going way over the top here and are making a fool out of yourself.

RonMexico wrote: »
    It is just a bit of fun FFS. Blitzkrieg you are going way over the top here and are making a fool out of yourself.

I have no issue with it being a bit of fun, we have a bit of fun all the time on the internet, I do have an issue with someone argueing that its some voice of the people movement with greater meanings.

When someone says they bought it cause they just want to hear Killing in the name blasted out on christmas day. I say *go for it* hell if i be inclined I might join you on that, god knows I've signed up to similar ideas before (vote for the worst in Eurovision sort of things and so on, though not dustin that was just embarassing which is pretty hard to pull off in the eurovision)

But this whole thing has a whole *Suck it X factor, voice of the alternative class (shudder) mentality to it and I'm putting my foot down and saying your being stupid.

I mean what does the christmas number one even mean? In the UK the last decent band to have christmas number 1 was Queen almost twenty years ago.

We are talking about the same honour bestowed to Mr Blobby, the whole thing is *for a bit of a laugh* and nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    the word you are looking for is lifestyle choice
    I agree, lots of people like emo-y/gothy whatever the **** they're calling it these days, but they are not emo-y/gothy. This whole "alternative class" stuff is pretty lame...

That said, I would like to see X-Factor not getting number 1. Mainly because I hate the X-Factor.

• Advertisement

i think i've watched 2 episodes of x factor in my life and not even full ones, so I couldnt care less about the show, its funny cause I'm looking over the christmas number 1's in the UK and I have listened to hardly any of them from the last 10 years and 2 or 3 in the last twenty. Its not until you get a bit further down the list do I start seeing numerous good songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I mean what does the christmas number one even mean? In the UK the last decent band to have christmas number 1 was Queen almost twenty years ago.

But isn't that *exactly* the whole point?

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    But isn't that *exactly* the whole point?

heh :D

I dont know every person I talk to seems to have a different opinion on what the point is.

personally I'd consider it like the 4th of July in cinema releases

you never get a good film on the 4th of july. You get sh*t, you always get sh*t, so you skip the 4th of july and go a week or two afterwards (when you'll get awesome like the dark knight)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

peanuthead wrote: »
    I actually like this song tbh.

Did I suggest you or anyone else didn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

It's miserable to put down young talent.

Says the man who made a living doing just that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

What cop-outs, they'll lose a ridiculous sum if it does, that's why.

surprised they copped out. The X factor single just about sold more in one day then the prior x factor singer in one day. So chances are good it will come out on top.

source: NME http://www.nme.com/news/rage-against-the-machine/48906 reports a sale of 109,726 thousands sold on the first day while the prior X factor winner sold just over 105 000 on day one (source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hallelujah_%28Leonard_Cohen_song%29#Alexandra_Burke) considering how much she cleaned up and her number 2 challanger actually fell into the same market as her (it was another cover of the same song by Jeff Buckly). Killing in the name will pull none of the people who would have normally bought the x factor single over to them considering they are such blatantly different markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

hahahah rage are at number one and number 3! Would be class if it got top 2 spots!!!

In fairness thou for this to be a REAL rage against the establishment they should have pick some total nobody band who've been gigging for years and elevated them to rock god's but i guess that wouldn't have worked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

I don't understand why it's no1 already:confused:

Should people not have waited until next week to buy it? What's the point in being no1 the week before Christmas?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

SugarHigh wrote: »
    I don't understand why it's no1 already:confused:

Should people not have waited until next week to buy it? What's the point in being no1 the week before Christmas?

in britain this is the week that counts

in ireland next week counts

the cd fr xfactor was only released today so id say they will catch up pretty quick

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Worst campaign ever. But the Sony guys are loving it because people who would never have bought a Christmas single are tripping over each other to pay for a track that they probably already own, to stick it to the man, when the man is the guy who they end up supporting anyway. It's not big and it's not clever. All you're doing is essentially doubling the projected profits for Sonys Christmas takings. Instead of your hard earned going to Floor 6 department 12 of Sony, it's now going to Floor 8 department 16 of Sony. And what you're actually doing is giving Sony more capital to promote next years chart topping Christmas hit (probably X-Factor). But oh no, wait, we'll jump up and rebel and support an alternative song next year too!! (probably owned by Sony). Fcking sheep.

Cianos wrote: »
    Worst campaign ever. But the Sony guys are loving it because people who would never have bought a Christmas single are tripping over each other to pay for a track that they probably already own, to stick it to the man, when the man is the guy who they end up supporting anyway. It's not big and it's not clever. All you're doing is essentially doubling the projected profits for Sonys Christmas takings. Instead of your hard earned going to Floor 6 department 12 of Sony, it's now going to Floor 8 department 16 of Sony. And what you're actually doing is giving Sony more capital to promote next years chart topping Christmas hit (probably X-Factor). But oh no, wait, we'll jump up and rebel and support an alternative song next year too!! (probably owned by Sony). Fcking sheep.

You have missed the point entirely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

*sigh :confused:

It's not about sticking it to "the man"

It about sticking it to the X-Factor, the X-Factor's music and Simon Cowell.

How many years now has Cowell presided over a non-original Christmas number 1.

You my friend have missed the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

*sigh :confused:

It's not about sticking it to "the man"

How many years now has Cowell presided over a non-original Christmas number 1.

You my friend have missed the point.

No, I just don't see the point of the point. It's not like RATM being number 1 is going to dissuade anyone who would have been buying the X-Factor track anyway. They're still going to make the same amount of money off their X-Factor track even if RATM sells 10 times as many copies as it, because they're two completely different target markets. So I don't think Cowell will be losing any sleep over this at all.

And as I said, the amusing irony of RATM being on the same label as X-Factor means that with this campaign Sony are gaining more capital which they will undoubtedly use to churn out more generic chart sh!te.

edit: Just checked the charts and RATM is nowhere to be seen...thought they were number 1 a day or two ago?

But thats the problem, you're not.

THis year's x factor single has already sold me in its first day then last year's. This campaign has had probably no effect on the sales of the x factor single and worse it may have actually boosted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭Basq

THis year's x factor single has already sold me in its first day then last year's. This campaign has had probably no effect on the sales of the x factor single and worse it may have actually boosted it.
    Wha?! :confused:

basquille wrote: »

last year's x factor sold 105 000 on its first day

this one sold 109 000 on its first day. thats a 4 000 increase

It may beat X factor to the number 1 spot but not by undercutting x factor's own sales, all thats happened is the market size has been increased because of the large number of people who normally wouldnt buy a christmas single are buying.

Its the same logic that led to the success of the Wii.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Just saw that RATM prefomed live on BBC Radio today. They played "Killing in the Name", and broke their promise to keep it clean. Brilliant.

Linky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

A BBC spokesman later said: "5 live breakfast featured a live broadcast of the song Killing in the Name by Rage Against the Machine.
    "We had spoken to the band repeatedly beforehand and they had agreed not to swear.
    "When they did we faded the band out and apologised immediately to anyone who was offended."
    Um ? Really ? Did they REALLY expect them not to swear. I mean the clue was in the name, and in the lyrics......

The error occurred less than 24 hours after George Michael had uttered the f-word during Chris Evan's drivetime show on Radio 2.

LOL - Error ? Seriously thats some dodgy ass reporting...

Evans, who is soon to replace the retiring legend Terry Wogan in the station's breakfast slot, "sincerely apologised" to listeners for any offence the singer caused.
    BBC radio shows have faced closer scrutiny following the well-publicised phone scandal involving Jonathan Ross and Russell Brand last year.
    Many live programmes have been forced to prepare their output after a record number of complaints, despite the original lewd prank calls to Andrew Sachs being pre-recorded before airing in October 2008.

Dammit this is getting ridiculous. The Beeb presenters are so scared of doing anything controversial at this point. Hmmm maybe Paul Gogarty had the right idea after all......

Edit: Rage appear to be getting into it a bit more: http://www.gigwise.com/news/53926/Rage-Against-The-Machine-Simon-Cowell-Profits-Off-Humiliating-People
    Before performing the track, Zac blasted Cowell by saying: “Simon is an interesting character who has profited greatly off humiliating people on live television and has a unique position of someone who can not only capture the attention of some people on television but also on the airwaves.

“We see this as a necessary break in the link of the chain of control.”

Asked about the criticism from some quarters that Rage are on the same label, Sony, as Cowell, guitarist Tom Morello rubbished the naysayers.

He said: “People aren't buying Killing In The Name to protest against a record coming out on a major company. We wrote 'Killing In The Name' in a small industrial slum in Los Angeles, the X Factor song was written by a cabal of overpaid songwriters to shove that schmaltzy business down your throats, so they are two very different choices.”

No, I just don't see the point of the point. It's not like RATM being number 1 is going to dissuade anyone who would have been buying the X-Factor track anyway.

That's not the point. It's to stop them getting the number 1 slot. X-Factor was always going to sell big.
    And as I said, the amusing irony of RATM being on the same label as X-Factor means that with this campaign Sony are gaining more capital which they will undoubtedly use to churn out more generic chart sh!te.

That's not the point. I couldn't give a fiddlers that Sony are lining their pockets over this. We'll take down Sony another day :cool:
    So I don't think Cowell will be losing any sleep over this at all.
    You're sort of getting it there. Keep trying. Do you think he cares about the money at this stage. At this point in his career for him it's no doubt more about the prestige and being able to say he masterminded consecutive Christmas number 1's. This is what I want to see an end to.

But thats the problem, you're not.

Yes you are .... :p

As I said above it's not about the money. It's the prestige attached with the Number 1 slot. The single could have been released in March and sold twice as much for example, but 10 years from now will have disappeared into obscurity.

Being number 1 at Christmas it's alot more likely to be remembered for longer. Christmas compilations anyone?

• Advertisement

As I said above it's not about the money. It's the prestige attached with the Number 1 slot.

I'm not talking about the money, i'm talking about making a statement. Which you are not, you are expanding the numbers, nothing more. you get a bit of nice press for a week or two and it'll become that tiny bit of trivia that gets brought up in articles every now and then about the influence of internet or christmas charts. But when the christmas season is over and the music execs go back into their offices they will look at the numbers, see that by the figures they had another fantastic year and go back to doing the same thing, X factor season 6 will be notched as yet another success in the series and ITV will gladly pay for the 7th.

Nothing changes for x factor or cowell. You have stuck no one. The most you have done is stick a big sign on your head saying *New Christmas single market OVER HERE!*

case in point

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/x-factor/6833183/Rage-Against-The-Machine-retain-lead-over-X-Factors-Joe-McElderry.html

the numbers overall are up nothing more. Everybody wins!

except those who wanted the other side to lose.
    Being number 1 at Christmas it's alot more likely to be remembered for longer.

yeah just like Mr Blobby or the last five x factor singles no one cares about.

Advertisement