Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rage against the machine for christmas number 1

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I cannot see it succeeding as its so easy to join Facebook group but people have to make an effort to go and download/buy the track. Another Facebook group setup that will achieve nothing.

Edit: Except it is no doubt píssing Simon Cowell off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Phantom Fm seem to be on board with this.

Heard an interview today and apparently Rage were leading this morning in the uk but xfactor has overtaken them as day's gone on

I cannot see it succeeding as its so easy to join Facebook group but people have to make an effort to go and download/buy the track. Another Facebook group setup that will achieve nothing.

Its as easy to join a facebook group as it is to buy a track from itunes.
    *click* enter details - logged in/music bought. Bish Bash Bosh.

Felt strange buying music incidentally.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Apparently the total fans is now over 1 million:D:D

Keep joining people, and make sure to buy RATM on xmas week;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

wonder how many of the 700,000 fans will actually buy the single...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cokeistan

It's top of the download chart in the UK atm, oh and nobody buy it here until the 18th otherwise it wont count!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

pretty sure you gotta buy this week and not next week as op said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

In case people don't know the song.... (it could happen!)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

also in case it hasnt been mentioned the reason for the choice of song is that it contains bad words is the exact opposite type of music to xfactor and the chorus is '**** you i wont do what you tell me'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

PeakOutput wrote: »

Ah, I'm all confused now. When?

Edit: It's Number 2 on Itunes atm behind X-factor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭Takk

It's from Dec 18th in Ireland. Purchases so far won't count.

From the Irish RATM Facebook Group:
    ONLY buy the track from Chart-eligible download sites (links to be posted) between Thursday night the 17th and 23rd of December (IRMA stated those dates to me on the phone but to be safe start from the 18th as Today FM stated that date). Any purchases before this will not be counted towards its position in the charts for the week of the Christmas number 1 here in Ireland.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=info&ref=ts&gid=231784611232

wonder how many of the 700,000 fans will actually buy the single...?

you'd be surprised. The page is a hive of activity at the moment, with a fair few people buying two or more tracks.

And its currently over 747,000 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Bought it. First time ever buying a song on iTunes actually.
    Currently at no 2 there, so maybe we're in with a chance.

For those mildly interested in keeping track:

Killing in the name is number 2 at the moment http://www.livehits.co.uk/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

also in case it hasnt been mentioned the reason for the choice of song is that it contains bad words is the exact opposite type of music to xfactor and the chorus is '**** you i wont do what you tell me'

True. Nor does it mention selling more records than your rivals and how much of a pimp and smooth business man you are, or how your clothing line is doing. Ideally of course, somebody would have chosen a Napalm Death track, but I suppose that would be too much for a good few.....

It's also a sentiment thats remarkably absent from the mainstream these days. While it might be dismissed as juvenile aggression and angst, if there was more of that about, there might not have been an Iraq war, the need for reports about the activities of an arrogant and unchallenged Church and its members......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 A_Leahy

gandhi123 wrote: »
    Would it not be better to get something older and more obscure to number 1?

Mambo #5 anyone?

I'm with you all the way on that man. That would be absolutely hilarious. I love it. Or something by Kevin Bloody Wilson, 'Santa Claus you f***ing c**t', perhaps?

Imagine the uproar if this is actually pulled off, complete upheaval of the X Factor Machine. #2 spot at the moment *crosses fingers*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

http://new.uk.music.yahoo.com/blogs/snapcrackleandpop/33227/rage-winning-chart-battle/

Apparently it's outselling the x-factor song in the uk. Although the CDs of the x-factor song won't get released untill tomorrow and i could imagine them being bought as presents.

I think we have a better chance of pulling it off since it doesn't start counting untill the 18th, so we can better concentrate our burst of buying.

Hell yeah it is!!
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=37655682127&ref=mf
    Get yourself in there my friend.

Will it have any effect on our own charts do you think?
    Regardless, this is an astounding accomplishment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭Takk

A_Leahy wrote: »
    Will it have any effect on our own charts do you think?

Only if people here download it from chart eligible sites from Dec 18th.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Neonlight

I wanna hear joe covering this.. now you do what he told ya ..simon cowell...now you do do what he told ya ...simon cowell...fook you i want do what ya tell me...mothafooka...in a geordie accent priceless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Pedro K

Caco wrote: »
    This was done last year with Jeff Buckley's cover of Hallelujah to stop that other woeful bint's cover getting to number 1... she still got the top spot but Jeff got to 5 or something like that which was pretty cool! Also Cohen's original got into the top 20 or 30 afair

Still a good idea for this year though :D

And the big winner there, ironically, was Simon Cowell.

He owns the rights to hallelujah.

Yer wans version got to number one, Jeff Buckleys (amazing version) re-entered the charts in the top ten, and Leonard Cohens original re-entered somewhere in the 30's or 40's.

Every record sold, was more money in Cowell's pocket.

Although, Rage for christmas number one, would be quite cool! :)

Pedro K wrote: »
    And the big winner there, ironically, was Simon Cowell.

See, the thing there Pedro is that again ironically, Sony are cleaning up. An even more dispicable corporate machine than Simon Cowell :P They own the right to both RATM and Joe McElderry.

The point is (whether you like RATM or not) the public can actually have their say, they can actually hold sway when they want. This is an excercise in public reaction to media power.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Pedro K

A_Leahy wrote: »
    See, the thing there Pedro is that again ironically, Sony are cleaning up. An even more dispicable corporate machine than Simon Cowell :P They own the right to both RATM and Joe McElderry.

The point is (whether you like RATM or not) the public can actually have their say, they can actually hold sway when they want. This is an excercise in public reaction to media power.
    Aye.. Didn't Syco (cowell's record) become part of Sony BGM in the end?

It's all money man!

Of course it's all money. But if we forget the money for a second and look at the idea behind it. RATM weren't picked by fans for no reason.

Personally I'd have prefered The Smiths, or The Beatles. But when you think of it RATM just fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I hate Christmas songs, I hate X-Factor / Boy Band / Girl Band fabricated ****e! I don't care if you are a fan of RATM or not, if we can make this happen it will ROCK!

Power To The People!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

For those mildly interested in keeping track:

Killing in the name is number 2 at the moment http://www.livehits.co.uk/

Number 1 now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭mcloughj

all this talk about RATM being on the same label is silly. who cares? we just want a non-x-factor number 1.

we can put sony out of business next year.:D

That_Guy wrote: »
    Number 1 now. :)

indeed it is, but for how long? The real test is Wednesday when the CD goes on sale.
    Strange that x-factor is at number 3 on the charts at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Strange that x-factor is at number 3 on the charts at the moment.

2 now.

Advertisement