Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rage against the machine for christmas number 1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 A_Leahy

The important thing is that we are at number one!!

Anyone with me for making the Macarena next year's number one?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

It will not stay at number one.

If cowell has to buy the records himself he will

peanuthead wrote: »
    It will not stay at number one.

If cowell has to buy the records himself he will

You know, I questioned it too. Part of me still thinks it won't work (but prays it will).
    However, after spending a considerable amount of time on the groups forums, interacting with them, taking part, I seriously believe it can be achieved.
    These people (we) are seriously dedicated to the cause. They've bought multiple (sometimes up to 9) copies each, and continue to spend. They are launching campaigns in their own areas. They are really going at it. It's impossible not to get sucked into it.
    It has had national coverage on UK broadcasts, radio and television. They even have their own set of rules. I think this is a lot bigger than the media will want to admit.
    It's that kind of thinking that will drag down the campaign.

The sweetest thing about the campaign however is that it's for charity, which is what makes it in my opinion. The creators of the group insist that buyers also support the SHELTER charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I'll be in town today. I'll just go to HMV and thrash those X-Factor singles. Just doing my bit you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Posted this in the X Factor thread..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Louis Walsh at 44 seconds. :D:D:D:D

Brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭bobbyjoe

Great idea fingers crossed it works just bought a copy.
    Maybe this has been posted already but:

Tom Morello to donate Rage Against The Machine Vs X Factor Christmas Number One money to charity
    Guitarist to donate proceeds from chart race to Youth Music, according to campaign

http://www.nme.com/news/rage-against-the-machine/48901

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭Takk

bobbyjoe wrote: »
    Maybe this has been posted already but:

Tom Morello to donate Rage Against The Machine Vs X Factor Christmas Number One money to charity
    Guitarist to donate proceeds from chart race to Youth Music, according to campaign

http://www.nme.com/news/rage-against-the-machine/48901

More here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/news/20091216_rageagainstthemachine.shtml
    Me personally, I am going to donate part of my proceeds from the sales to an organisation in the UK called Youth Music, which is the UK’s largest children’s music charity. My hope is that one of the results of this whole thing is that there will be a new generation of rockers who will take on the establishment with the music they write.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭source

http://www.irma.ie/aucharts.asp#hometop irish charts, so people can keep an eye from 18th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

At number 11 WILD HORSES SUSAN BOYLE

What in the hell :eek: I did not know of this songs existance and I never want to hear it.

• Advertisement

Ladbrokes now have RATM as favorites in the UK. I'd wager its just a marketing strategy though. "industry insiders" are predicting a landslide for x-factor when the cd goes on sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Coakers

Well at least if we fail we've brought the excitement back in to who will be the Christmas number one. Buy a copy, it's cheap and it's fun and in all fairness their bass lines kick ass. TEAM RATM!:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

personnally I think its a f*cking stupid idea.

Sony own both. There's no f*ck you to anyone here, does it damage X factor??? No it doesnt all it means is that they'll milk the anti x facto mentality as much as it they already milk the bubblegum pop fans every year.

As someone said earlier, I would not put it pass being a viral campaign by sony, both last year and this year the *alternative album* to pick over x factor was owned by the same company pushing the x factor album.

Normally I'd be the last to jump in with conspiracy forum nutjobs, but something stinks here.
    also in case it hasnt been mentioned the reason for the choice of song is that it contains bad words is the exact opposite type of music to xfactor and the chorus is '**** you i wont do what you tell me'

'I'll just do what someone else tells me' WRAGHHH I'M SUCH A REBEL RARARARA!

(idiots)

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭_Roz_

This is why you should all make Tim Minchin number one instead by buying White Wine In The Sun on itunes.

BlitzKrieg wrote: »

Sony own both. There's no f*ck you to anyone here, does it damage X factor??? No it doesnt all it means is that they'll milk the anti x facto mentality as much as it they already milk the bubblegum pop fans every year.

As someone said earlier, I would not put it pass being a viral campaign by sony, both last year and this year the *alternative album* to pick over x factor was owned by the same company pushing the x factor album.

Normally I'd be the last to jump in with conspiracy forum nutjobs, but something stinks here.

(idiots)

It isn't about ownership. It's about expression, it's about the public choosing what the public want for #1. The alternative class usurping the X-Factor machine.
    If this were about screwing Cowell out of money, or screwing Simco out of money, or even if it were just about smearig Joe McElderry then why has this particular song been chosen? Because the anti-establishment ethics win out over ownership. It's a statement.
    If it were simply for money then some novelty song would have been chosen. If it were a viral campaign then why choose a 17 year old song who the majority of the single buying public haven't even heard of? It isn't elever marketing strategy. Something much more contemporary and pop-friendly would be forefronted.

Out of interest, our own area now has its own campaign:
    http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?topic=13995&post=67722&uid=37655682127#/group.php?gid=231784611232&ref=mf
    To promote this to number one we must wait untill the 18th to buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 KaraNicole

http://fashaddict.wordpress.com/2009/12/16/killing-in-the-name-of-christmas-an-update/ blog update on FashAddict about the xmas number 1 race!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    At number 11 WILD HORSES SUSAN BOYLE

What in the hell :eek: I did not know of this songs existance and I never want to hear it.

I actually like this song tbh.

A_Leahy wrote: »
    It isn't about ownership. It's about expression, it's about the public choosing what the public want for #1. The alternative class usurping the X-Factor machine.

Point A

meet

Point B
    It isn't clever marketing strategy. Something much more contemporary and pop-friendly would be forefronted.

yes cause if you wanted to create a campaign to take advantage and exploit the *alternative class* (officially the stupidist terms I have heard this week) you would pick a pop song and not a song that literally screams out f*CK YOU I'M ALTERNATIVE... Not the most subtle of campaigns.

You may not believe its about money, but to the record companies its always about money and regardless of what you say when you bought the disc....YOU STILL BOUGHT THE DISC.

to take a scenario from a recent penny arcade strip:

738306486_nMfjE-L.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

(idiots)

Translation ala Goth kids from South Park: "I'm SUCH a non-conformist, I'm not conforming with the rest of you non-conformists. Screw it, I'll do it !"

Translation ala Goth kids from South Park: "I'm SUCH a non-conformist, I'm not conforming with the rest of you non-conformists. Screw it, I'll do it !"

:D

I got that goth dance down baby.

btw i', such a non-conformist that my christmas buy is an ocremix album... :D

• Advertisement

*alternative class* (officially the stupidist terms I have heard this week)

How else can you define the mass of people who have backed this? 'Alternative' being the accepted genre of music this band subscribe to. (And that was pretty petty if you ask me)

I'm afraid not everything is about money. It's that kind of cold, unhelpful, cooler-than-thou, cynical attitude that makes the campaign warmer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Jus sayin

(idiots)

Apparently the facebook campaign was started by Jon Morter and his wife Tracy.
    If there is any suspicion of of a conspiracy then wouldn't it be logical to at least find out who this Jon Morter is, does he have any connections to the music industry for instance.
    Anyway here is a quote from him in the NME.
    Responding to criticism that Rage Against The Machine track was released by label behind The X Factor, Sony, Morter suggested that people were taking things too seriously.

"Rage Against The Machine are signed to a huge multi-national corporation in Sony," he said. "Yes, we are aware of that. For me it was the song that's important... I'm not fussed what label it happens to be on. This is supposed to be fun!"
    http://www.nme.com/news/rage-against-the-machine/48816

How else can you define the mass of people who have backed this? 'Alternative' being the accepted genre of music this band subscribe to. (And that was pretty petty if you ask me)

its not the alternative side of it, its the *class* side of it. I think trying to put listening to alternative music on the same terms as definitions which are used to classicaly to define entire social spectrums is stupid.

its a hobby, your musical taste, a distraction. There is no comparison between the two. There are much more important things in life then alternative music and they dont even define themselves as a *class*

if you want to define a alternative class, excuse me while I go and rally up the xbox class and we'll have class warfare between us and the playstation class which for generations have been oppressing us.

They will call me the Lenin of XBOX LIVE as I deliver my december thesis in the lobby of a halo 3 slayer game.

urgo

STUPID.

I'm afraid not everything is about money. It's that kind of cold, unhelpful, cooler-than-thou, cynical attitude that makes the campaign warmer.

again, its not about money for you. Its not about money for me, as already stated my music of choice this christmas was an ocremix album (which is free unless you want to donate to its creators.) but to the f*ckers selling the album it is about money because thats their fecking job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Orna

Join the Rage page on Facebook .. this can work .

Why should the x factor be mastered to fix the christmas charts for the last few years ... people power here folks not media power .....

check it out !

http://www.facebook.com/reqs.php#/group.php?gid=231784611232&ref=ts

Jus sayin wrote: »
    Apparently the facebook campaign was started by Jon Morter and his wife Tracy.
    If there is any suspicion of of a conspiracy then wouldn't it be logical to at least find out who this Jon Morter is, does he have any connections to the music industry for instance.
    Anyway here is a quote from him in the NME.

hmm

http://www.2-4-7-music.com/news/news-story.asp?ID=2840

So you're saying, for example, the 'Emo' types aren't a class. I suppose what I should have said was 'minority'.
    Look at the late 70's. Punk is just a form of music, is it? It defined an entire generation. You could call them a class, no? A minority?
    I'm afriad music is much more than a distraction. (If it were just a distraction would Lennon have been assassinated?)
    Art reflects life and culture. Video games don't. That's pretty sad.

Pull your finger out, it would be cool to see it. Not everything is a conspiracy my friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Jus sayin

Good work, you are now the proud owner of a tin foil hat!

BTW, I still bought the RATM song simply because I thought it much more fun having "Killing in the name of" blasting out over everybodies Christmas turkey instead of having to listen to the winner of X Factor, but then I am a RATM fan so I am biased and at 29p for the song on Amazon I am not going to complain.

So you're saying, for example, the 'Emo' types aren't a class. I suppose what I should have said was 'minority'.
    Look at the late 70's. Punk is just a form of music, is it? It defined an entire generation. You could call them a class, no? A minority?
    I'm afriad music is much more than a distraction. (If it were just a distraction would Lennon have been assassinated?)
    Art reflects life and culture. Video games don't. That's pretty sad.

the word you are looking for is lifestyle choice.

Class is an entire spectrum above that (the clue is the second word of the above term)
    Pull your finger out, it would be cool to see it. Not everything is a conspiracy my friend.

yeah I just love that conspiracy forum, you know that vaccine for the flu virus is really nanobots so the NWO can control you. The lisbon treaty is just a system of control so they can take away your nationality and conscript you, ELVIS AND JOHN LENNON ARE THE SAME PERSON!!!

You got to be f*cking kidding me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Punk is just a form of music, is it? It defined an entire generation. You could call them a class, no? A minority?

explain how it defined a generation? My dad was in his mid 20s then, how on earth do the Sex Pistols trying to play instruments and singing badly reflect on his generation?

• Advertisement

Jus sayin wrote: »
    Good work, you are now the proud owner of a tin foil hat!

It will never replace my top hat, but thank you :D

Advertisement