Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rage against the machine for christmas number 1

Options
12346»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Ok, my buying earlier is obviously added to the Irish total, I've tried buying from the UK 7digital and I'm region blocked, I'd also like to buy it for the UK charts as this is the one that'll make a difference, how?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Ok, my buying earlier is obviously added to the Irish total, I've tried buying from the UK 7digital and I'm region blocked, I'd also like to buy it for the UK charts as this is the one that'll make a difference, how?

Proxy might do it. They probably only accept uk credit cards so you'll have to ask a relative to buy it for you if you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Cool, man. Screw itunes :O)

You can get it from...

7DIGITAL - track #2
    http://bit.ly/ratm-7digital

TUNETRIBE - 49P - track #2 - LIVE version (yes it counts)
    http://bit.ly/ratm-tunetribe

TESCO DIGITAL - 67p - track #2
    http://bit.ly/ratm-tesco

HMV.COM - 79p (careful - this is track #1)
    http://hmv.com/hmvweb
    http://bit.ly/ratm-hmv

PLAY.COM - 70p - it's the only track on the page
    http://bit.ly/ratm-play

WE7 - £1.07p - track #2
    http://bit.ly/ratm-we7

iTUNES - 99p - track #2
    http://bit.ly/ratm-itunes

If this is not an incentive, I don't know what is...

http://www.gigwise.com/news/53956/X-Factors-Joe-McElderry-Rage-Against-The-Machine-Are-Dreadful

You cannot buy from any of those links, I've been through them all (cept itunes), most are region locked, others need a UK postcode and none will take an Irish cc. Hassle

I've bought the Irish version, that all I'm doin, my jobs done

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Just bought the single on the irish charts.

I watch x-factor, I like it - great car crash TV. It is one way of getting a career launched.

But I dislike the presumptuousness of Simon Cowell that the RATM campaign was aimed at him !!!! When you read what Simon, Joe or Cheryl say on the camaign, they sound like spoilt children, who just lost their blanky.

Mad World - was a great xmas no. 1, it would really annoy me if a song like that didn't get to no. 1 because of a crappy x-factor song.

And lastly, I don't think people have forgiven x-factor last year for murdering Hallelujah

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Well to those who are cynical about this - Tom Morello of Rage has said on his twitter that they will play a free UK gig if they get number one. Hmmm wonder if they'd do one here too!
    http://www2.kerrang.com/2009/12/rage_to_play_massive_free_gig.html

Also in same article
    In related news, X Factor winner Joe McElderry has blasted the LA political rockers claiming they're not even good enough to "get through boot camp on the X factor."
    "They're just shouting!" he told The Sun. "They can't be serious! I had no idea what it sounded like [before]. It's dreadful and I hate it.
    "How could anyone enjoy this?" he added. "Can you imagine the grandmas hearing this over Christmas lunch? I wouldn't buy it. It's a naught out of ten from me."

hahaha what a tool. He thinks he's a better musician...... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA. This may make me buy an extra copy of Rage!! Any sympathy I may have had for Joe is now gone!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    Just bought the single on the irish charts.

I watch x-factor, I like it - great car crash TV. It is one way of getting a career launched.

But I dislike the presumptuousness of Simon Cowell that the RATM campaign was aimed at him !!!! When you read what Simon, Joe or Cheryl say on the camaign, they sound like spoilt children, who just lost their blanky.

Mad World - was a great xmas no. 1, it would really annoy me if a song like that didn't get to no. 1 because of a crappy x-factor song.

And lastly, I don't think people have forgiven x-factor last year for murdering Hallelujah
    I literally couldn't sum it all up better!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Proto

The ironic thing is that this bandwagon was set up to "stick it" to another bandwagon.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,846 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

its great really
    the more cowell and his co workers slate this the more
    determine really music lovers will become and stick it up
    to them by buying more
    Nothing against joe either but he should have kept his
    trap shut

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

In fairness to Joe, that quote was a blatant lie. They had a video on The Sun website with him talking about it. He laughed about it being played over Christmas dinner, said he didn't like it personally but, then again, he didn't like rock so he can see why some people do. It was a very diplomatic response.

I was (half) amazed how, on the same page the video is on, The Sun could so blatantly put words in his mouth. But then again it just goes to show you HOW full of **** the paper is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭paulhannon

Proto wrote: »
    The ironic thing is that this bandwagon was set up to "stick it" to another bandwagon.

:rolleyes:

wow you're the first ever person in the world to point that out!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Four-Percent

Mossy Monk wrote: »

Rage Against The Machine on BBC Radio this morning. The person in charge of what goes out on the air must have been asleep.

1:47: you can hear the presenter chuckling in the background :)

something must have leaked
    the odds on betfair has changed bigtime
    rage now favourite at 1.48 with xfactor 2.82
    the upset must be on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Its gonna be ridiculously close, but I really think they've done it... The odds are in Rage's favour (tho that just means more people are betting on them, but its still a good sign), and a lot of music industry insiders say that rage are the likely winners. I know that everything counts for squat until the chart countdown! :D

Btw anyone know where I can stream the chart? Its gonna be announced at around half 6

Its gonna be ridiculously close, but I really think they've done it... The odds are in Rage's favour (tho that just means more people are betting on them, but its still a good sign), and a lot of music industry insiders say that rage are the likely winners. I know that everything counts for squat until the chart countdown! :D

Btw anyone know where I can stream the chart? Its gonna be announced at around half 6

here
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/djs/daytime/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Rage Against The Machine have sensationally outsold X Factor winner Joe McElderry to take the Christmas number one!

Thanks to a Facebook led campaign, the Los Angeles band's 1992 anthem 'Killing In The Name' has secured the Yuletide top spot after shifting 502,000 downloads, according to the Official Charts Company.

McElderry has had to settle for second place with 'The Climb' selling 450,000 copies. This marks the first time in five years an X Factor winner hasn't claimed the Christmas number one.

Better still, not only is Rage Against The Machine's 'Killing In The Name' number one, it has also achieved two new chart records.

Firstly it has notched up the biggest one-week download sales total in British chart history and it has also become the first ever download only Christmas number one in the UK.

Official charts company director Official Charts Company managing director Martin Talbot said: "Congratulations to Rage Against The Machine on their number one - as we have seen in recent years, overhauling any X Factor winner in the race for the Christmas number one is no mean achievement.

“The popular support we have seen for the record this week has been truly amazing - and handed them two all-time records.”

'Killing In The Name' sold over 200,000 copies on Friday and Saturday alone, while McElderry's physical sales are thought to have trailed off thanks to the bad weather.

Martin Talbot added: "Congratulations should also go to Joe McElderry. In taking the number two spot, he has still achieved one of the highest weekly sales of any single this year - in almost any other year, 450,000 copies would have given him the Christmas number one.

"Through this week, these two tracks have accounted for more than 950,000 single sales, a fact which is truly remarkable."

The number ones of the decade are as follows:

2000: Bob The Builder - 'Can We Fix It?'
    2001: Robbie Williams & Nicole Kidman - 'Somethin’ Stupid'
    2002: Girls Aloud - 'Sound Of The Underground'
    2003: Michael Andrews feat Gary Jules - 'Mad World'
    2004: Band Aid 20 - 'Do They Know It’s Christmas?'
    2005: Shayne Ward - 'That’s My Goal'
    2006: Leona Lewis - 'A Moment Like This'
    2007: Leon Jackson - 'When You Believe'
    2008: Alexandra Burke – 'Hallelujah'
    2009: Rage Against The Machine – 'Killing In The Name'

Susan Boyle is number one in the album chart with 'I Dreamed A Dream'.

http://www.gigwise.com/news/53959/Rage-Against-The-Machine-Beat-X-Factor's-Joe-McElderry-To-Christmas-Number-One

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Proto

paulhannon wrote: »
    wow you're the first ever person in the world to point that out!!!
    Where did I say it was?? I didn't call dibs on the statement.

Even though it's hilarious that RATM is going to be blared all across the country on Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

Woo-hoo I'm feckin delighted!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Mr.Obvious

Wait, we still have our part to play. It seems as soon as the uk success was announced everyone has forgotten about our mission :eek:!

Mr.Obvious wrote: »
    Wait, we still have our part to play. It seems as soon as the uk success was announced everyone has forgotten about our mission :eek:!

+ 1

I bought it yesterday, even though it was ****ty quality from Meteor :( Playing my part though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Volvagia

I bought a copy from itunes for our region.

When will that be announced?

Volvagia wrote: »
    I bought a copy from itunes for our region.

When will that be announced?

Christmas Eve :)

Hehe!! Just heard it there ... BRILLIANT!!

peanuthead wrote: »
    Hehe!! Just heard it there ... BRILLIANT!!
    Same here. I knew they wouldn't play the final bit but I was hoping they would. Pity it didn't get irish no 1 though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Yeah, we're useless in this country. :(

amacachi wrote: »
    Yeah, we're useless in this country. :(

I actually thought it would get Irish no1 and it wouldn't make British no1. However, it is the English chart that matters though it would have been brilliant to knock him off altogether

Advertisement