Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

kmart6 wrote: »
    Would love if those Grantland images were t-shirts!

I'd buy the Pats one and the Colts one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

davyjose wrote: »
    I'd buy the Pats one and the Colts one :D
    Same here....and the Lions...and the Packers....and the Giants.....etc....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭CoachTO

Maybe BastardPrince could look into getting them made and selling them on his site :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Could this be the end of hard knocks?
    Watt says he picked up Dolphins’ snap count from Hard Knocks

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/11/watt-says-he-picked-up-dolphins-snap-count-from-hard-knocks/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

CoachTO wrote: »
    Maybe BastardPrince could look into getting them made and selling them on his site :D

hmmm no sure Grantland would look too favourably on that but I'll see what i can do :D

• Advertisement

hmmm no sure Grantland would look too favourably on that but I'll see what i can do :D

I tweeted Brian Huntington and posted a comment on his website urging him to make them into t-shirts :D

His twitter: https://twitter.com/notzombies

His own website: http://www.notzombies.com/humor/nfl-logos-on-grantland/

Lads get commenting :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Tweeted him last night, and see he replied to both of us together!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Seen this in the metro today. Nick Sundberg the Redskins long snapper broke his arm and played on... here's the reason why...

sAn05GvU

His momma made him the man he be. haha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

phatkev wrote: »
    Could this be the end of hard knocks?
    Watt says he picked up Dolphins’ snap count from Hard Knocks

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/11/watt-says-he-picked-up-dolphins-snap-count-from-hard-knocks/
    How many snaps could he possibly have seen on the show though to pick it up? Surely he'd pick it up just as quick from watching a few of the preseason games or after a few plays on the field against them - think he said as much himself in the article so wouldn't put too much though into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    How many snaps could he possibly have seen on the show though to pick it up? Surely he'd pick it up just as quick from watching a few of the preseason games or after a few plays on the field against them - think he said as much himself in the article so wouldn't put too much though into it.

It's ridiculous considering they can watch every single Dolphins game known to man if they wanted, as well as any A&M games for Tanners.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

An NBC article trying to stir **** about an HBO tv show, yea wouldn't take that to seriously.

The show is on its last legs anyway. Scratched and clawed to get a team this year; there is absolutely zero positive reason for a team to participate in this show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

davyjose wrote: »
    The show is on its last legs anyway. Scratched and clawed to get a team this year; there is absolutely zero positive reason for a team to participate in this show.

Not sure on that. It's a great way of attracting new fans. With the Jags looking at Wembley as a chance of expanding abroad it would be another good way for them to attract fans and help them get to know more about the team.

Not sure on that. It's a great way of attracting new fans. With the Jags looking at Wembley as a chance of expanding abroad it would be another good way for them to attract fans and help them get to know more about the team.

Yeah that's true. Problem is, fans in London, and dotted across the states are nice for merchandise, but how many extra seats are you gonna fill?

I'd question an ownership taking such an easy, low-brow route for popularity too. Any team who takes themselves seriously, wouldn't even consider it.

My team Indy are a good example: midsize-town team, poor support, leagues whipping boys, and Irsay jr takes over, hires polian, and we have sold out every game since 2003, built a new stadium, won a Super bowl and hosted one too.

It would be remiss of me not to mention how lucky we were to get Manning, but ultimately, that team was getting built one way or another - Manning just got us there after 1 season instead of 5-10.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭davetherave

screaming-marine.gif

That'll teach him for trying to shush the crowd :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

screaming-marine.gif

That'll teach him for trying to shush the crowd :pac:

His hat wobbling on his head just makes it comical :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000063793/article/vince-young-a-quarterback-out-of-work-money?module=HP11_headline_stack

Vince Young is broke and in debt now despite earning $26 million guaranteed off his rookie contract and prob few more bob from the Eagles last year. You'd think in this day and age someone would be able to get inside these young guys heads and guide them properly.

He is being chased by a company that loaned him $1.7 million during last years lockout.

Crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000063748/article/brian-banks-to-sign-with-ufls-locomotives

And to follow it up with a brighter story. Brian Banks has got a contract to play in the UFL. Nice to see the guy getting a chance after what he has been through.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

HigginsJ wrote: »
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000063748/article/brian-banks-to-sign-with-ufls-locomotives

And to follow it up with a brighter story. Brian Banks has got a contract to play in the UFL. Nice to see the guy getting a chance after what he has been through.

I wonder will the bad bítch who falsely accused him, now serve her time in prison? So much for US justice, accept a guilty plea and get 6 years in prison. But if you challenge the plea? Then you face a sentence of 41 years to life :eek: :confused:. But I suppose the system does work, if you're very rich, can employ high powered lawyers and it generally helps if you're White.

so i've been thinking about the HGH accusations leveled at Clay Matthews, especially since his return to form after a poor 2011 season. I'm not 100% how HGH works over the short to medium term, but if players thought HGH testing would come in as a result of the new CBA and stayed off it in the offseason could that explain Matthews dip in form last year?

Coz he looks much more ripped this year as well as looking like the sack machine he was in 2010!

Is that a lot of jumping to conclusions there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

so i've been thinking about the HGH accusations leveled at Clay Matthews, especially since his return to form after a poor 2011 season. I'm not 100% how HGH works over the short to medium term, but if players thought HGH testing would come in as a result of the new CBA and stayed off it in the offseason could that explain Matthews dip in form last year?

Coz he looks much more ripped this year as well as looking like the sack machine he was in 2010!

Yes I think you are (in terms of performance, not doubt he could of used HGH before). I think I read his PFF last year he had just as many knock downs and hurries just obviously not the same level of sacks. He's always look ripped tbh can't see much of a difference between now and last year. Just think at GB the Blitz scheme expects him to finish plays.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I'm not 100% how HGH works over the short to medium term,

Once HGH enters the body, it produces an anabolic effect, meaning it uses energy to generate an increase in the body's metabolic function. Once inside the body, HGH produces an insulin-like growth factor (IGF-1) in the liver. This generates rapid tissue growth, tissue regeneration, increases lean muscle mass, increases overall power and strength, increase lung capacity, increased stamina and lowers overall body fat.

Generally users/abuser of HGH usually take it in cycles - 6 weeks on - 3 weeks off. If a user has not taken HGH for 3 weeks or more, then increased gains will begin to slide backwards. So this cycle program is usually kept in place for maintenance benefits. Cycles periods can vary of course, depending on an individuals response.

While HGH is synthesised by the Liver within 18-20 hours of entering the body. A guy would need to be taking it steady for 6-10 weeks, before the real benefits kick it. After that, they usually switch on to a cycle program. Of course they don't need to, because they might have only been targeting a particular point in the season to get the benefits of HGH.

cheers lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Vince Young is broke and in debt now despite earning $26 million guaranteed off his rookie contract and prob few more bob from the Eagles last year. You'd think in this day and age someone would be able to get inside these young guys heads and guide them properly.

He is being chased by a company that loaned him $1.7 million during last years lockout.

Crazy.

The best college QB that I've watched over the last ten years and probably the main reason that Im a Longhorns fan. Sad to see him going broke but it's hardly surprising. The sheer volume of players that dont manage their money is staggering and their inability to hire the right advisors is ridiculous.

Most players are pressuriesed into helping their neighbourhood as the "local boy done good" and they invest in a restuarant or a shop and suddenly there's a large chunk of their cash down the tubes. Matt Bowen on NFP.com did a couple of really good pieces about the potential cracks that players can fall into and Young is just another high priced first rounder that has gone bust.

These lads think that they'll always be able to find some work because of their skills but the NFL Is a result based league and with the exception of his rookie year Young just hasnt developed as was expected so he's out of the league....and outta cash

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Jaysus first I've heard of these accusations, any links or is this just based on the opinion he is bigger and more ripped?

Jaysus first I've heard of these accusations, any links or is this just based on the opinion he is bigger and more ripped?

I've seen people on many NFL forums talk about rumours of Cushing and Matthews taking HGH at USC, but could well be just what they are; internet rumours!

Never seemed to have an effect on Brian Cushing. I assume he's off the juice after being caught (although probably just got better at hiding it). But he's still a beast.
    Maybe Clay needs the surroundings of professional trainers and nutritionists and caught cold from the lockout? That 1% can make a huge difference -- ask "CJ1.1YPC"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Didn't notice this in week 1 but there's a handy highlight show on Sky Sports 4 at the minute.

Lasts an hour and half and goes through all the games (well so far it has).

6pm Tuesday's it seems to be on at if you want to Sky + it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

I'm posting this here because we're in a squeeze - we need one more player for the Late to the Party fantasy league and we're drafting at 9pm. Anyone willing to join would be much appreciated!

• Advertisement

Don't know why but I found this website hilarious.

http://smokinjaycutler.tumblr.com/

tumblr_mad2fmmDpt1rge9rdo1_400.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement