Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Colts ''trying to make a big deal'', according to numerous Indy sources on Twitter and elsewhere. Maurice Jones-Drew or Mike Wallace, I presume?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

CoachTO wrote: »
    To be fair though it was until the 90's that we started to consistently fill Schaefer/Sullivan/Foxboro. Foxboro had its ups and downs over the 70's and 80's. The fact Gillette has only 8000 more seats tell us they were being conservative with building the new stadium. Krafts aim was to modernise the place. In in hindsight of the last decade I bet Kraft would have made it bigger by another 20k.

Gillette has been sold out since it the day it opened. Schaefer was sold out during the mid 70's, mid 80's and from 1993 onward's. There were intervening years where it wasn't sold out. But for the other poster to suggest there was some sort of a problem with attendances, is way, way of the mark.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

The Colts are looking to acquire a defensive back rather then a player on offense from I've seen and heard. Possibly Vonte Davis.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

The Colts are looking to acquire a defensive back rather then a player on offense from I've seen and heard. Possibly Vonte Davis.

Philbin and Ireland would be mad to give up Davis!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

These figures have to be taken with a pinch of salt and consideration of inflation, market values, econmic values of the decades but still some surprising figures.

1920 Dem Bears bought for $100
    1933 Dan Rooney bought the Steelers for $2,500
    1960 startup teams bought for $25,000
    1972 Colts bought for $15million
    1977 49ers $13million
    1994 Patriots sold for $172million
    1995 Bucs sold for $192million
    1997 Seahawks for $194million
    1999 5 years later Snyder bought the Redskins for $800million
    2000 Ravens for $600million
    2008 Dolphins $1100million

'94-'95 differential of 111% on sales
    '95-'99 the differential of 416% in 4 years just astounds me, whatever about inflation and market values that is simply incredible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭CoachTO

Gillette has been sold out since it the day it opened. Schaefer was sold out during the mid 70's, mid 80's and from 1993 onward's. There were intervening years where it wasn't sold out. But for the other poster to suggest there was some sort of a problem with attendances, is way, way of the mark.

I agree with you for the most part and agree the other person post was no more than a dig at the Pats but there is a half truth to what he says. When Kraft took over Foxboro had seen some of the worst attendance in the seasons leading up to his purchase of the club. I also never said anything about Gillette not being sold out as it always has. But as I said I dont agree with the other poster either but my response to you was to show Gillette was built as the old stadium was just a solid brick stadium with fook all facilities. Gillette holds 8k more and is ultra modern compared to the old Foxboro but not much bigger was my original point.

Also it is common knowledge the Pats had extremely poor attendances in the old stadium at points in the 80's and 90's. I am a Pats fan through and through and marrying into die hard Pats fans family who spent most of their weekends in Foxboro and they even told me Pats fans were fickle at times and the stadium was half full many times while they were there. Its common knowledge that some Pats fans dont like to stick around either. Remember the pasting the Ravens gave us in the playoffs and the stadium was half emptied by half time?

Just to show what Im talking about 1991 is prime example of how bad it got before our saviour bought the team:

2 September 8, 1991 Cleveland Browns L 20–0 35,377
    4 September 22, 1991 Houston Oilers W 24–20 30,702
    6 October 6, 1991 Miami Dolphins L 20–10 49,749
    8 October 20, 1991 Minnesota Vikings W 26–23 45,367
    9 October 27, 1991 Denver Broncos L 9–6 43,994
    12 November 17, 1991 New York Jets L 28–21 30,743
    13 November 24, 1991 Buffalo Bills W 16–13 47,053
    15 December 8, 1991 Indianapolis Colts W 23–17 20,131

Early 80's the stadium fell short by 5k to 20k people depending on opponent. Late 80's the stadium picked up and was close to capacity and the early 90's was shambolic.

The 70's and mid 90's on wards were the best years for the stadium but the 80's weren't always spectacular and the early 90's was shocking

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

2 September 8, 1991 Cleveland Browns L 20–0 35,377
    4 September 22, 1991 Houston Oilers W 24–20 30,702
    6 October 6, 1991 Miami Dolphins L 20–10 49,749
    8 October 20, 1991 Minnesota Vikings W 26–23 45,367
    9 October 27, 1991 Denver Broncos L 9–6 43,994
    12 November 17, 1991 New York Jets L 28–21 30,743
    13 November 24, 1991 Buffalo Bills W 16–13 47,053
    15 December 8, 1991 Indianapolis Colts W 23–17 20,131

Early 80's the stadium fell short by 5k to 20k people depending on opponent. Late 80's the stadium picked up and was close to capacity and the early 90's was shambolic.

The 70's and mid 90's on wards were the best years for the stadium but the 80's weren't always spectacular and the early 90's was shocking

That's why I did mention from 1993 onwards, after the Pats Superbowl defeat in 1986 a very talented young team was allowed to virtually implode. Two or three idiots on that team disrupted the whole dressing room with their off field antics. So by 1989-1990 attendances did begin drop down.

Once the Parcells era began in 1993, attendances shot back up and have never looked back. The weird thing about the Pats was in every decade they went through a golden age of promise. Talented young teams repeatedly failed to delivered, for a long time they were regarded as the unluckiest team in the league.

So in each decade for a 5-6 year period they had sellout crowds, which then tended to taper off at the later part of the decade as the team went into decline. The Parcells era shot attendances right up again. And as we all know, once Kraft took over it's been a sell out ever since.

Gillette is around mid table for NFL stadium capacity, with Metlife stadium topping the league at 82,500. Kraft could have put more seating in, but I don't think he was to bothered because he had a unique master plan, which was the Patriot Place shopping/entertainment complex. It has now become a 365 days of the year gold mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Colts traded for Davis anyway! They've been trading for and signing cb's all the offseason! Looks like we have a starter opposite Powers now anyway!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,860 ✭✭✭nerd69

Davis for a 2nd rounder and a possible 6th can't help but feel the dolphins got ripped off should they have drafted tannihil if there tanking for Barkley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭CoachTO

nerd69 wrote: »
    Davis for a 2nd rounder and a possible 6th can't help but feel the dolphins got ripped off should they have drafted tannihil if there tanking for Barkley

Ripped off how? Davis already lost his spot to Richard Marshall. He also is a knob with bad attitude. 1 games suspension last year for fighting and always saying stupid things. Turns up to camp unfit and then doesn't bother his hole and takes breaks on his own accord. Good deal considering he could care less about playing it seems. And tanking to get Barkley? I can't see the fish purposely doing that and I hate them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

A team isn't going to tank for Barkley, not a hope in hell. Tannehill is the future of that team.

Ripped off how? Davis already lost his spot to Richard Marshall. He also is a knob with bad attitude. 1 games suspension last year for fighting and always saying stupid things. Turns up to camp unfit and then doesn't bother his hole and takes breaks on his own accord. Good deal considering he could care less about playing it seems. And tanking to get Barkley? I can't see the fish purposely doing that and I hate them.
    Has he gotten that bad didn't watch much of the dolphins last year but he seemed very good before

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Has he gotten that bad didn't watch much of the dolphins last year but he seemed very good before

When asked why he traded Davis (a first round pick) for a second round pick Ireland said it was pretty much down to a bad attitude.....which doesn't bode well!!

To be fair i watched the first episode of hard Knocks and he couldn't keep up with the speed of the traning at all

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Well done Russell Wilson, Seahawks starter. if he has a good rookie year they could be in the mix for the NFC West.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

matthew8 wrote: »
    Well done Russell Wilson, Seahawks starter. if he has a good rookie year they could be in the mix for the NFC West.

Watched him against the Chiefs at the weekend and he did really well. Exciting player to watch as well with his ability to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Seahawks must be pretty pissed at dropping almost $20m on Flynn now, but of course they weren't to know they'd get Wilson.

After Flynn and Kolb I don't think any team will be giving decent money to backup quarterbacks who look promising in a couple of games any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Paully D wrote: »
    Seahawks must be pretty pissed at dropping almost $20m on Flynn now, but of course they weren't to know they'd get Wilson.

After Flynn and Kolb I don't think any team will be giving decent money to backup quarterbacks who look promising in a couple of games any more.

should hope not, most of them are backups for a very good reason.

Paully D wrote: »

should hope not, most of them are backups for a very good reason.
    Drew brees was a backup with injury issues at one stage as was Steve young and aaron rogers there's plenty of players that are fantastic there just backing up players that are also fantastic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Not sure why still believe teams tank for 1st over-all? Do people really think Jim Caldwell purposely tanked for Andrew Luck?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Not sure why still believe teams tank for 1st over-all? Do people really think Jim Caldwell purposely tanked for Andrew Luck?

Agree, its not like basketball where one player can change a franchise.

Luck maybe be a "sure thing" but his impact will be nothing like when LeBron James got drafted.

Hazys wrote: »
    Agree, its not like basketball where one player can change a franchise.

Luck maybe be a "sure thing" but his impact will be nothing like when LeBron James got drafted.

Most importantly any coach that drags his team to 1st over-all 99% out of a job. Fail to see any reason why a Head coach would purposely do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

It's freaky listening to Pete Carroll talk about him. He's saying almost the exact same things he said about Barkley before making him the starting QB at USC in his freshman year (and that didn't turn out too badly!) PC isn't shy about throwing them in at the deep end if he feels they are talented enough - I believe every word he says about Wilson and am sure he'll have a huge year.

Rams Jason Smith the #2 overall pick of the 2009 draft traded to Jets for Wayne Hunter(2003 rnd 3 #73). Started only 21 game so probably not very good. 2009 top 10 was full of big busts. Who'd have thought Darius Heyward-Bey would turn out to be one of the better picks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Rams Jason Smith the #2 overall pick of the 2009 draft traded to Jets for Wayne Hunter(2003 rnd 3 #73). Started only 21 game so probably not very good. 2009 top 10 was full of big busts. Who'd have thought Darius Heyward-Bey would turn out to be one of the better picks.

Wow. That's pretty much the Jets trading this:

turnstile.jpg

And getting this in return:

38624.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Bizzare trade between the Jets and Rams

Filing this under weird and wacky, just cringeful

• Registered Users Posts: 36,261 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

• Registered Users Posts: 36,261 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Wow. That's pretty much the Jets trading this:

turnstile.jpg

And getting this in return:

38624.jpg

Maybe Smith sucks slightly less? Clutching at straws though tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Despite the fact that I wet myself laughing cause they look like bobbleheads and 5year olds shouldnt be playing tackle this kid is an absolute beast, look at his jukes and cuts brilliant.

Can we sign him up in Wisconsin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,418 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

THROW THE BALL!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement