Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

CoachTO wrote: »
    Don't know why but I found this website hilarious.

http://smokinjaycutler.tumblr.com/

tumblr_mad2fmmDpt1rge9rdo1_400.jpg
    Photoshop a cigarette into Berbatovs mouth and he looks cool....do it to Jay Cutler and he looks like a bum!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Ray Lewis is such an inspiration:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/a-football-life/0ap1000000064045/A-Football-Life-Ray-Lewis-in-the-AFC-Championship-Game

Anyone know where I'd get the whole episode? I have Game Pass but struggle to get online during the times they're showing it on there, do they archive it by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,205 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Paully D wrote: »
    Ray Lewis is such an inspiration:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/a-football-life/0ap1000000064045/A-Football-Life-Ray-Lewis-in-the-AFC-Championship-Game

Anyone know where I'd get the whole episode? I have Game Pass but struggle to get online during the times they're showing it on there, do they archive it by any chance?

I downloaded it from tenyardtorrents. I've not watched it yet but I know it will be fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

So your a starting running back in the NFL. You have made it to the big time. All your dreams come true and you drive ..........

img_2639_original.jpg?1348172687

Alfred Morris. Fair play :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

HigginsJ wrote: »
    So your a starting running back in the NFL. You have made it to the big time. All your dreams come true and you drive ..........

On the same note, supposedly Nnamdi Asomugha drives a piece of **** 1997 Nissan Maxi, respect! In fairness though, you'll always love your first car the most!

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/nnamdis-maxi/xzya7e4q

He's since taken the car with him to philly and has claimed he'll drive it till the wheels fall off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I love stories like this, nice to see that it's not always about the showboating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

We all know the concussion debate isn't going anywhere, but there's a new and fairly high profile documentary coming out about it now that should propel it into the spotlight on a national level now. Looks very interesting I have to say.

I do wonder though how much of an effect the concussion issue is having with some players. Because I have seen a fair few tackles already, which are precisely the type of tackle they want to stamp out. During the Giants Vs Panthers game the other night, there was a particularly savage head first hit on Andre Brown in the 1st quarter.

Of course players are also probably starting to take advantage of the fact, that there are replacement officials out there. I can't help but think, that if a player was to suffer a very serious injury during the dispute. Then the NFL could be face some serious litigation for failing in its duty of care - namely by not resolving the dispute with the officials.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Obviously concussions are a huge problem in football and some action needs to be taken to reduce them. Football is an extremely violent sport and there is no escaping it but the attitude to concussions has changed hugely in the last few seasons. Newer helmets can reduce concussions substantially and Aaron Rodgers acknowledged as much when he changed his helmet after he received a concussion. In my opinion concussions can never be completely removed from the game because of the style the game is played in but the number of concussions can be substantially reduced by ensuring that players wear the most most modern designed helmets that add the most amount of protection available.
    As a Chargers fan we lost one of our best last season when Kris Dielman retired, this was a guy who played over a quarter while obviously concussed and subsequently had a seizure on a plane. As hard as players are the NFL need to do more to protect them, ensuring they are wearing the best quality helmets is a simple start but it would have a major result

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Maybe Vince Young will buy it off him :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Of course players are also probably starting to take advantage of the fact, that there are replacement officials out there. I can't help but think, that if a player was to suffer a very serious injury during the dispute. Then the NFL could be face some serious litigation for failing in its duty of care - namely by not resolving the dispute with the officials.

nah I'd doubt the nfl don't have themselves well covered. Besides if a player decides to take advantage of the replacement officials than it's more on the player than the nfl. What are the chances a player goes into court and says: Yeah I decided to make more risky tackles, which have a higher chance of injuring somebody, because of replacement officials. Plus if the plaintiff comes out and says that all players were pushing the limits of the rules and taking more risk than they could be deemed to have been negligent as well.

Aside from causation the assumption of risk would probably be a lot stronger defense in a case like this, than in the concussion one.

I haven't really researched any of this/put much thought into the post, so I might be wrong about some of it (or all of it).

Masked Man wrote: »
    What are the chances a player goes into court and says: Yeah I decided to make more risky tackles, which have a higher chance of injuring somebody, because of replacement officials.

The worry for the NFL isn't the tackling player, it's the player who gets injured as a result of a dangerous tackle. The injured party (plaintiff) could potentially take a case against the NFL. Of course the player responsibly for the injury won't make on admission on the stand. But the video evidence will speak for itself.

The head tackle on Andre Brown in the Panthers game was a savage hit, the player responsible could have easily used his shoulder but went in with his head instead. Now while the NFL might argue, that the offending player is liable and thus responsible for his own actions. The plaintiff could easily counterargue that there was no disincentive provided by the officials on the pitch.

It's like a safe systems of work issue, did the NFL provide safe PPE (personal protection equipment)? I'm sure in the States, it could be easily argued that by putting substandard, inexperienced officials on an NFL pitch for the first time. The NFL created an unnecessary risk in the place of work - namely the football field.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

The worry for the NFL isn't the tackling player, it's the player who gets injured as a result of a dangerous tackle. The injured party (plaintiff) could potentially take a case against the NFL. Of course the player responsibly for the injury won't make on admission on the stand. But the video evidence will speak for itself.

The head tackle on Andre Brown in the Panthers game was a savage hit, the player responsible could have easily used his shoulder but went in with his head instead. Now while the NFL might argue, that the offending player is liable and thus responsible for his own actions. The plaintiff could easily counterargue that there was no disincentive provided by the officials on the pitch.

It's like a safe systems of work issue, did the NFL provide safe PPE (personal protection equipment)? I'm sure in the States, it could be easily argued that by putting substandard, inexperienced officials on an NFL pitch for the first time. The NFL created an unnecessary risk in the place of work - namely the football field.

But to win a case in negligence they'd have to show that the NFL using replacement officials caused the injury. I can't really think of a way of doing that without having the player who caused the injury coming out and saying they made it because they thought they could get away with it. Even than it seems kinda shaky, football is obviously a dangerous sport and showing that the tackle wouldn't have happened if it weren't for the replacement refs would be difficult.

I'm sure if a player in this situation wanted to sue they'd do it under more than just negligence, but I don't know enough to even guess what that might be. But the NFL obviously feel that the chance of them being successfully sued over the replacement refs is low enough to not end the lockout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Deadspin have put out a series of articles explaining why your team sucks

Ouch!

Here is the New England one as an example
    http://deadspin.com/5938481/why-your-team-sucks-2012-new-england-patriots?tag=why-your-team-sucks-2012

You'll find a link to your team on the same page

I'm sure if a player in this situation wanted to sue they'd do it under more than just negligence, but I don't know enough to even guess what that might be.

Yes I agree with you, I just used the negligence issue as an example of a potential case for litigation.
    But the NFL obviously feel that the chance of them being successfully sued over the replacement refs is low enough to not end the lockout.

They obviously do alright, otherwise they wouldn't have let the dispute drag on I suppose. But you know America, the land of litigation. There are many 'talented' lawyers out there that could find ways and means.

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Deadspin have put out a series of articles explaining why your team sucks

Ouch!

Here is the New England one as an example
    http://deadspin.com/5938481/why-your-team-sucks-2012-new-england-patriots?tag=why-your-team-sucks-2012

You'll find a link to your team on the same page

In light of the weekend that's in it and for balance, here's the one on the Baltimore Ravens.

Brutal stuff.

http://deadspin.com/5934703/why-your-team-sucks-2012-baltimore-ravens?tag=why-your-team-sucks-2012

Someone sign this guy....

1241432703_3ballcatchljpg_1.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭CoachTO

Someone sign this guy....

1241432703_3ballcatchljpg_1.gif

Thats Chris Chambers isnt it. Now retired but those vids were faked for the NFL Fantasy Files campaign they had. Fair few of those vids knocking around on youtube.

CoachTO wrote: »
    Thats Chris Chambers isnt it. Now retired but those vids were faked for the NFL Fantasy Files campaign they had. Fair few of those vids knocking around on youtube.

Nail on the head, but I never seen that particular clip on You Tube.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭CoachTO

Nail on the head, but I never seen that particular clip on You Tube.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Rex Ryan just announced that Revis is out for the season with a torn MCL...massive loss for the Jets

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

• Registered Users Posts: 16,407 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

That could have been funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,813 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Raiders just signed Andre Carter. I was so hoping he was coming back to the Patriots when he was ready to go.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Antonio Cromartie: With Revis out, I’m the best corner in the NFL

lol, he's some twat

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/28/antonio-cromartie-with-revis-out-im-the-best-corner-in-the-nfl-now/

Hazys wrote: »
    Antonio Cromartie: With Revis out, I’m the best corner in the NFL

lol, he's some twat

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/28/antonio-cromartie-with-revis-out-im-the-best-corner-in-the-nfl-now/

I suppose idiots like him, do make the world a more entertaining place though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Goodell-as-McMahon.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Hazys wrote: »

Can't blame a guy for having confidence in his abilities!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Shame he doesn't have the ability to keep his dick in his pants!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Can't blame a guy for having confidence in his abilities!!
    Shame he doesn't have the ability to keep his dick in his pants!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement