Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

barbarians wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity are there many Dallas Cowboys fans on this forum ?

Was thinking of creating a Dallas Cowboys thread but there doesn't seem to be too many other Cowboys fans on this forum besides myself and I don't want to be talking to myself on the thread :P

Sure set it up and see what happens, you only need one or two more dedicated fans for it to work. There's always something happening with the cowboys so plenty to talk about

• Registered Users Posts: 9,860 ✭✭✭nerd69

Just out of curiosity are there many Dallas Cowboys fans on this forum ?

Was thinking of creating a Dallas Cowboys thread but there doesn't seem to be too many other Cowboys fans on this forum besides myself and I don't want to be talking to myself on the thread :P
    I got your back il pop in with abuse every now and again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭barbarians

OAOB wrote: »
    Sure set it up and see what happens, you only need one or two more dedicated fans for it to work. There's always something happening with the cowboys so plenty to talk about

True, I'll get one going there in a minute.
    nerd69 wrote: »
    I got your back il pop in with abuse every now and again :)

Giants fan ?

(Or more likely a regular NFL fan who likes to bash the Cowboys in their spare time :P)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Please no more team specific threads !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,860 ✭✭✭nerd69

True, I'll get one going there in a minute.

Giants fan ?

(Or more likely a regular NFL fan who likes to bash the Cowboys in their spare time :P)

eagles:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

We'll need a sub forum for team threads at some stage :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

You're just upset as you can't find another Panthers fan on boards :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

hey folks, I'm running a pick 'em league with an NFL Jersey up for grabs for the winner.

http://nflire.football.cbssports.com/e

Password is "touchdown" if you're up for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Maybe division threads instead!?

AFC east would be fun!!

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

taidghbaby wrote: »
    Maybe division threads instead!?

Yes!

I would obviously.
    I'm never gonna start a thread on the Browns. But would love to to talk to some Steeler, Bengal and Ravens fans about all things AFC North.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Did anyone catch the Giants America's Game from last years Super Bowl win? It was supposed to premiere on September 4th but I forgot all about it and haven't heard anything about it at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Paully D wrote: »
    Did anyone catch the Giants America's Game from last years Super Bowl win? It was supposed to premiere on September 4th but I forgot all about it and haven't heard anything about it at all.

Caught it on Nfl network last night. Was really good as per usual!

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

SantryRed wrote: »
    Caught it on Nfl network last night. Was really good as per usual!

Can anyone send on a link or PM me a TYT link please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

R.I.P. Art Modell former Ravens and Browns owner.

Lads,

Has any one got any good iPad apps for keeping up to date with NFL and College Football news?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭CoachTO

SantryRed wrote: »
    Lads,

Has any one got any good iPad apps for keeping up to date with NFL and College Football news?

ESPN Scorecentre
    NFL 12
    Bleacher Report Team Stream
    Sporting News NCAAF
    SI.com
    Fox Sports

The rest I have are all Pats ones :D Plenty of others ones out there though im sure others have more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Justin10

If you are interested in scores for wide range of sports I would suggest ESPN scorecentre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Chris Kluwe strikes again. What a hero.
    Baltimore Ravens linebacker Brendon Ayanbadejo has spoken out in favor of a Maryland ballot initiative that would legalize gay marriage. Yahoo has published a letter that Maryland state delegate Emmett C. Burns Jr. wrote last week to Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti, urging him to "inhibit such expressions from your employee." This is Minnesota Vikings punter Chris Kluwe's response to Burns.

Dear Emmett C. Burns Jr.,

I find it inconceivable that you are an elected official of Maryland's state government. Your vitriolic hatred and bigotry make me ashamed and disgusted to think that you are in any way responsible for shaping policy at any level. The views you espouse neglect to consider several fundamental key points, which I will outline in great detail (you may want to hire an intern to help you with the longer words):
    1. As I suspect you have not read the Constitution, I would like to remind you that the very first, the VERY FIRST Amendment in this founding document deals with the freedom of speech, particularly the abridgment of said freedom. By using your position as an elected official (when referring to your constituents so as to implicitly threaten the Ravens organization) to state that the Ravens should "inhibit such expressions from your employees," more specifically Brendon Ayanbadejo, not only are you clearly violating the First Amendment, you also come across as a narcissistic fromunda stain. What on earth would possess you to be so mind-boggingly stupid? It baffles me that a man such as yourself, a man who relies on that same First Amendment to pursue your own religious studies without fear of persecution from the state, could somehow justify stifling another person's right to speech. To call that hypocritical would be to do a disservice to the word. Mind****ing obscenely hypocritical starts to approach it a little bit.

2. "Many of your fans are opposed to such a view and feel it has no place in a sport that is strictly for pride, entertainment, and excitement." Holy ****ing ****balls. Did you seriously just say that, as someone who's "deeply involved in government task forces on the legacy of slavery in Maryland"? Have you not heard of Kenny Washington? Jackie Robinson? As recently as 1962 the NFL still had segregation, which was only done away with by brave athletes and coaches daring to speak their mind and do the right thing, and you're going to say that political views have "no place in a sport"? I can't even begin to fathom the cognitive dissonance that must be coursing through your rapidly addled mind right now; the mental gymnastics your brain has to tortuously contort itself through to make such a preposterous statement are surely worthy of an Olympic gold medal (the Russian judge gives you a 10 for "beautiful oppressionism").

3. This is more a personal quibble of mine, but why do you hate freedom? Why do you hate the fact that other people want a chance to live their lives and be happy, even though they may believe in something different than you, or act different than you? How does gay marriage, in any way shape or form, affect your life? If gay marriage becomes legal, are you worried that all of a sudden you'll start thinking about penis? "Oh ****. Gay marriage just passed. Gotta get me some of that hot dong action!" Will all of your friends suddenly turn gay and refuse to come to your Sunday Ticket grill-outs? (Unlikely, since gay people enjoy watching football too.)

I can assure you that gay people getting married will have zero effect on your life. They won't come into your house and steal your children. They won't magically turn you into a lustful cockmonster. They won't even overthrow the government in an orgy of hedonistic debauchery because all of a sudden they have the same legal rights as the other 90 percent of our population—rights like Social Security benefits, child care tax credits, Family and Medical Leave to take care of loved ones, and COBRA healthcare for spouses and children. You know what having these rights will make gays? Full-fledged American citizens just like everyone else, with the freedom to pursue happiness and all that entails. Do the civil-rights struggles of the past 200 years mean absolutely nothing to you?

In closing, I would like to say that I hope this letter, in some small way, causes you to reflect upon the magnitude of the colossal foot in mouth cluster**** you so brazenly unleashed on a man whose only crime was speaking out for something he believed in. Best of luck in the next election; I'm fairly certain you might need it.

Sincerely,
    Chris Kluwe

P.S. I've also been vocal as hell about the issue of gay marriage so you can take your "I know of no other NFL player who has done what Mr. Ayanbadejo is doing" and shove it in your close-minded, totally lacking in empathy piehole and choke on it. Asshole.

This is also worth 6 minutes of your time. There's no way you'll be anything but rooting for the guy after this. Be warned, some very graphic images in here too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭CoachTO

This is also worth 6 minutes of your time. There's no way you'll be anything but rooting for the guy after this. Be warned, some very graphic images in here too.

Have to throw this up here again: :D

Very Graphic you've been warned.

I remember hearing about his crash but christ I didn't realise it was that bad. Its mad to think when you hear of someone not make a team through injury before they even get onto the team you sometimes forget about them. Talk about a freak accident though. Giants released him in May be interesting to see if he can continue his fightback and find a team. To see him do those exercise after seeing what happened his leg fair play to him and modern medicine.

• Advertisement

CoachTO wrote: »
    ESPN Scorecentre
    NFL 12
    Bleacher Report Team Stream
    Sporting News NCAAF
    SI.com
    Fox Sports

The rest I have are all Pats ones :D Plenty of others ones out there though im sure others have more.

Thanks mate.

One thing I'd recommend is the Soorts Illustrated mag online. It's 35 dollars a year for weekly mags which cover all American sports in such depth. Tis a great read.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Grantland did a feature there on honest NFL logos...some of them are brilliant :D :

grant_logos3x.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

JaMarcus Hustle, that was a great piece that you posted on Chris Kluwe's response to Burns. I nearly fecking choked on my cornflakes this morning when I read this bit..
    If gay marriage becomes legal, are you worried that all of a sudden you'll start thinking about penis? "Oh ****. Gay marriage just passed. Gotta get me some of that hot dong action!"

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Reports that Al Pacino would portray Joe Paterno in an upcoming movie

Would actually love this, epic movie potential right there.

How not to do a slam dunk. :D

He'll not be doing that again. In fairness though, he handled the embarrassment of it all pretty well.

spiralism wrote: »
    Reports that Al Pacino would portray Joe Paterno in an upcoming movie

Would actually love this, epic movie potential right there.

It would be awful. Pacino can't act anymore, he's like a guy doing a terrible impression of himself constantly. He's been in some of the worst movies of the past 5 years.

It would be awful. Pacino can't act anymore

You know I thought I was alone in thinking that. It's like he's become a caricature of himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

got a bit of a laugh out of this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Would love if those Grantland images were t-shirts!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement