Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

CoachTO wrote: »

It makes sense really. Those four games will generate some new support for the franchise overseas and put Jacksonville on the map.

If I was a Jags fan I'd be happy. There had been talk of the Jags possibly moving to LA but with these four games it looks like the new owner is committed to making Jacksonville a big football town.

The Jags are a more exciting team to go see then the Rams IMO too. Especially if Gabbert keeps up his preseason form and turns into a proper pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

From the ESPN article linked above
    "The NFL is going to be developing an international fan base. Why shouldn't it be the Jaguars?" Khan said in December. "In all honesty, internationally, they don't know the difference between the Jaguars and the Steelers."

Screw you Khan - making our we'll all ignoramuses:mad:

Only about 98% of people internationally don't know the difference :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

davyjose wrote: »
    Corvus, I will bring bullying into it. That's essentially what hazing is -- disguised as a bit of fun. I'm not too bothered by the fact that rookies are expected to carry pads, and get their heads buzzed, but what stops them from stepping over the line?
    I'm concerned as a fan, because if it were my team, I'd be worried about the lack of professionalism.

What prompted me to post on this issue was the guy not carrying the pads. Most of us agree that carrying pads isn't a big deal and certainly shouldn't be classified as bullying. Hazing can go too far and cross the line into bullying, but I used the Pats as an example of how it probably should be done in the NFL.

I think it all boils down to a team philosophy. Divas and out of control egos are not tolerated by Belichick or the Patriots. The team first approach prevents rookies from getting harshly treated by teammates.

But a lot of teams do tolerate diva behaviour and let established players egos run outta control. I think this then allows some players to cross the line when rookies arrive. GM's and coaches have a big part to play in reigning in inappropriate behaviour. But many don't seem to have the will or ability to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Interesting stat I've just seen on Twitter, games decided by a TD or less:

Peyton Manning is 64-33
    Tom Brady is 43-15
    Drew Brees is 36-30 (22-16 with NO and 14-14 with SD)
    Aaron Rodgers is 13-17

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Austin Colie confirmed with another concussion: http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/football/other_nfl/view.bg?articleid=1061154774&srvc=sports&position=recent

This is turning into one of the saddest stories in the NFL. i'm sure he'll play on, but I'm not sure he should. he's got a few bob in the bank, the door to coaching will likely be open for him, and he has a family. It's a no-brainer (no pun intended). As a Colt fan, we need him, but not at that cost.

• Advertisement

Austin Colie confirmed with another concussion: http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/football/other_nfl/view.bg?articleid=1061154774&srvc=sports&position=recent

This is turning into one of the saddest stories in the NFL. i'm sure he'll play on, but I'm not sure he should. he's got a few bob in the bank, the door to coaching will likely be open for him, and he has a family. It's a no-brainer (no pun intended). As a Colt fan, we need him, but not at that cost.

Tough to see this kinda thing happening to players, hopefully the league won't go OTT on it now. A sensible period of an enforced rest, then maybe see how it goes for him. But if he keeps playing and it happens again, then that will surely be him finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Absolutely delighted the Jags are coming to London. :D

Gonna make a real effort to get over for it now, can anyone who has done the London experience tell me what my best chance is for sorting tickets?

Mikeyt086 wrote: »

Gonna make a real effort to get over for it now, can anyone who has done the London experience tell me what my best chance is for sorting tickets?

On Ticketmaster after the end of the Superbowl, select rows start to go on sale in Wembley. I bought my tickets on February the 7th. I kept an eye on the available rows for a couple of days. I didn't get my ideal seat, but I got a fantastic deal on the 4 tickets I was looking for. Since I couldn't make it over the last time the Pats played in 09, I don't have a precedence for the London experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

You'll pick up tickets no bother Mikey.

Been to two of the London games, including the best one by a mile in Chargers-Saints and they are a great experience. Any year it doesn't look like it'll be a blow out I go over, but the Pats against the Rams is such a mis match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Mikeyt086 wrote: »

No chance of a game against the Redskins unfortunately. When they match up with the NFC East in 2014, they go to Washington so even if it would have only been a one in eight chance of them playing each other ar Wembley, now it's zero.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Chargers, Chiefs, 49ers or Seattle coming next year to play the Jags. No blow out :D Well hopefully....

Do the "visiting" team have any say in the London fixture? Seems a bit unfair to drag a Western team 1/4 the way round the planet, for a game mid-season. Can they object?

What worries me is that the Colts might get dragged over. I see it as a distraction, and any team with SB ambitions wouldn't actively choose to go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,860 ✭✭✭nerd69

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

SantryRed wrote: »
    Chargers, Chiefs, 49ers or Seattle coming next year to play the Jags. No blow out :D Well hopefully....

49ers have said they wanted to come back, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭McG

Do the "visiting" team have any say in the London fixture? Seems a bit unfair to drag a Western team 1/4 the way round the planet, for a game mid-season. Can they object?

What worries me is that the Colts might get dragged over. I see it as a distraction, and any team with SB ambitions wouldn't actively choose to go there.

I'm pretty sure the "visiting" team need to agree to play away. While I agree that it may be a distraction I'd love to be able to go see the Colts play in a regular season game in London.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

49ers have said they wanted to come back, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them.

That would be good as I missed them last time.

The Pats had no objection to travelling over, which kinda pulls the rug out from any team with title credentials who might object.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

The Pats had no objection to travelling over, which kinda pulls the rug out from any team with title credentials who might object.

I guess for the Patriots being a northeastern team its a lot easier from them than anybody else.

Its the same distance to London as it is to California and they only have to deal with 2 more hours of time difference than if they were going to California.

I'm suprised the NY teams have only made the trip once between them while the Pats will have gone twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Hazys wrote: »
    I'm suprised the NY teams have only made the trip once between them while the Pats will have gone twice.

6H3F8.jpg

I guess for the Patriots being a northeastern team its a lot easier from them than anybody else.

Its the same distance to London as it is to California and they only have to deal with 2 more hours of time difference than if they were going to California.

That's a good point, I never considered travel times and distance ect.

The Pats have a huge UK fan base which is probably a big factor influencing that.

• Advertisement

Ya Kraft is the big driver behind it. He is a fan of the UK and has always been interested in possibly purchasing a Premier League team (although recently he said there is no point buying a sports franchise where its near imposible to turn a profit, which rules out Soccer teams).

I think its also smart business also. As a lot of poorly supported teams try to carve out a market for themselves overseas, the Patriots are just strengthening their already popular overseas market.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Also if travel isn't a problem, it should be an advantage, as you get to play a road game at a neutral venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

I'm sure if it was up to BB he would refuse to play in London. It isn't just about travel, there's going to be media commitments and other stuff like the players seeing the city. The whole pre game routine will be upset by the London game, iirc the team even flies out earlier in the week than they would for any other game.

padraig_f wrote: »
    Also if travel isn't a problem, it should be an advantage, as you get to play a road game at a neutral venue.

True, also any team you play has a much more difficult trip to London than the Pats do.

Travelling through multiple time zones has been shown to have a huge impact on athletes' body's though. http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-57490048-10391704/elite-athletes-double-illness-risk-after-traveling-five-time-zones-study-finds/ Common sense says it's got to be at least somewhat hindering.
    The Pats are clearly a good enough team that this wasn't going to disrupt their march to the Playoffs. But for a team vying for a wildcard berth(as I expect the Colts to be for the next few years - excluding this one), it could make the difference.

And yeah, I'd love to see the Colts play, but London and back is still effort and money (I could jump on a plane to Indy, from here(west coast), as easily. But I won't).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭gerire

SantryRed wrote: »

Or the team in AFC East who finish in the same position as the Jags do in their league this year < can see this being a good option due to the travel distances

I think its also smart business also. As a lot of poorly supported teams try to carve out a market for themselves overseas, the Patriots are just strengthening their already popular overseas market.

There's also the thing where they look at Pats attendances before they became very successful, and before the change of stadium, when a small Foxboro was still too big for the crowds, and worries that it might slip back to the bad old days...

Never miss a chance, never miss a chance...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭CoachTO

There's also the thing where they look at Pats attendances before they became very successful, and before the change of stadium, when a small Foxboro was still too big for the crowds, and worries that it might slip back to the bad old days...

Never miss a chance, never miss a chance...;)

Gillette only holds 8,000 more than Foxboro did. Foxboro always had 60k+ capacity since it was built back in 1971.

when a small Foxboro was still too big for the crowds, and worries that it might slip back to the bad old days...

Bad old days? It was quickly realised after Schaefer Stadium was built, that they didn't make it big enough. It was the Pats first official home after being nomads for years and they never had a problem filling seats.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭CoachTO

Bad old days? It was quickly realised after Schaefer Stadium was built, that they didn't make it big enough. It was the Pats first official home after being nomads for years and they never had a problem filling seats.

To be fair though it was until the 90's that we started to consistently fill Schaefer/Sullivan/Foxboro. Foxboro had its ups and downs over the 70's and 80's. The fact Gillette has only 8000 more seats tell us they were being conservative with building the new stadium. Krafts aim was to modernise the place. In in hindsight of the last decade I bet Kraft would have made it bigger by another 20k.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement