Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Off Topic Thread...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

I had a real sweet chocolate craving this morning so for brekkie i had 50gm oatbran cooked with chopped banana, mixed dried fruit, scoop of chocolate cream protein powder and then followed up on 60gms 90% lindt.

Still not satisfied.

Anyone else think there should be a mod designated for the food diary forum here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Jwacqui

ULstudent wrote: »
    Anyone else think there should be a mod designated for the food diary forum here?

Yup! All sorted now!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Yes absolutely!

Sapsorrow wrote: »
    Yes absolutely!

I miss not reading your diary!

• Advertisement

I miss not reading your diary!

Ha I miss yours too! :D But hey you have my blog at least what have I got!

Sapsorrow wrote: »
    Ha I miss yours too! :D But hey you have my blog at least what have I got!
    http://u1.ipernity.com/4/66/71/1536671.aca2d25a.560.jpg

1536671.aca2d25a.560.jpg

That is so insanely cute! God I'd love a new puppy or kitten so something... anyone want to buy a cat?

What's the story with your kitty? When is it going for surgery again?

I'm not too fond of cats - a dog either loves or hates you but cats play on your emotions. Down with that sort of thing.

But just for you this one time ...

stairway-cat.jpg

What's the story with your kitty? When is it going for surgery again?

I'm not too fond of cats - a dog either loves or hates you but cats play on your emotions. Down with that sort of thing.

But just for you this one time ...

stairway-cat.jpg

He he thanks! In defence of cats though you'd actually be amazed how loyal a well treated cat is, the thing is a cat will be loyal to a handful of people it knows but a dog will be loyal to anyone around a lot of the time. I love both cats and dogs but my cat Indre loves me much more intensely than either of my dogs he's a total love monkey! :D They're an incredibly misunderstood species for some reason. Bumble's grand she tested negative for AIDs and Leukemia and had 10 teeth pulled instead so that's good news, she' won't need to be put down it seems. Shes so happy to be home, I think she thought she had been abandoned so she's just resting and eating all around her now. So funny this morning I woke up at about 5am to this loud woefull howling, ran downstairs thinking something had happened to find Suki (my sheepdog) all sleepy and confused after waking herself up howling from a nightmare! So so adorable :)

• Advertisement

Well that's good to hear. I don't know where my cat phobia came from. I used to loev them when i was smaller. Never had a bad incident with a cat though.

OK -need help chosing a film. 2 dvds here. Which one to watch

1. Invention of lying
    2. How to lose friends and alienate people.

I am in a comedy mood and they both seem okay. Anyone seen any of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

Well that's good to hear. I don't know where my cat phobia came from. I used to loev them when i was smaller. Never had a bad incident with a cat though.

OK -need help chosing a film. 2 dvds here. Which one to watch

1. Invention of lying
    2. How to lose friends and alienate people.

I am in a comedy mood and they both seem okay. Anyone seen any of them?

I love the second. Only because I'm in love with Simon Pegg. I've no idea objectively if it's a good film... :rolleyes:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

I think a lot of people would actually buy this:

tumblr_l5ggsjH4vH1qa9i3bo1_500.jpg

Be a better motivator than the scales I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Jwacqui

I think a lot of people would actually buy this:

tumblr_l5ggsjH4vH1qa9i3bo1_500.jpg

Be a better motivator than the scales I think!

Love it!! I'd buy it!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Posted in fitness
    Just a heads up that until the 16th August (I think) you can get a 500g bag of Brazil nuts in Holland & barrett for €3.50 as part of their food frenzy offer. very good price.

Here's something that Rubadub already knew but an Irish study has just been done on UV lights and psoriasis:

http://www.drbriffa.com/2010/08/18/study-finds-uvb-lights-boosts-vitamin-d-levels-and-clears-psoriasis/
    I was interested today to read about a study of Irish psoriasis sufferers [1]. In this study, individuals had their vitamin D levels checked and then half the group were subjected to ultraviolet B (UVB) therapy three times a week, while the other half were not. The study took place over a four-month period spanning the winter (this may be relevant as vitamin D levels and sunlight exposure tend to bottom out at this time).

In those who received the UVB treatment, psoriasis was significantly helped. Median psoriasis scores dropped from 7.1 to 0.5. Basically, the psoriasis in those treated with UVB cleared. Psoriasis severity did not improve in those not receiving treatment.

UVB treatment also led to an improvement in vitamin D levels from a median of 23 ng/ml (57.5 nmol/l) to 59 ng/ml (147.5 nmol/l). No significant increase was seen in those not receiving UVB therapy. In fact, in this group, 75 per cent were deemed to be vitamin D ‘insufficient’ (< 20 ng/ml).

I was posting in long term illness yesterday...

Article on women, beer, psoriasis & UVB
    http://www.foodconsumer.org/newsite/Nutrition/Food/psoriasis_beer_vitamin_d_1708100557.html
    Drinking non-light beer may boost risk of psoriasis in women, a study published in the December 2010 issue of Archives of Dermatology suggests.

Psoriasis is a chronic, autoimmune disease that occurs on the skin when the immune system send out wrong signals that speed up the growth of skin cells.

The study led by Abrar A. Qureshi, M.D., M.P.H., of Brigham and Women's Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston found women who drank five or more non-light beers per week were 2.3 times as likely as those who did not drink beer to be diagnosed with psoriasis.

The authors of the study said in their report that alcoholic beverages have been suspected for a long time as a risk factor for psoriasis onset and psoriasis worsening. Alcohol drinkers are known to be more likely to suffer the disease and alcohol may exacerbate the severity of the disease.

For the study, the researchers surveyed 82,860 women aged 27 to 44 who participated in the NUrses' Health Study II for the amount and type pf alcohol they consumed through biennial questionnaires and participants reported also whether they were diagnosed with psoriasis.

Women who had an average of 2.3 drinks or more each week were 72 percent more likely than those who did not drink alcohol to report they suffered psoriasis, the study found.

Women who drank five or more non-light beers per week were found to have 1.8 times higher risk for the disease compared to those who did not drink non-light beers.

If only confirmed cases of psoriasis were considered, the risk for the condition was 2.3 times higher for those who drank five or more non-light beers per week compared to those who did not drink beer.

Light beer, wine and liqueurs on the other hand were not linked to increased risk for psoriasis.

The researchers suggested that malted barley, the main ingredient used in non-light beer, may be the culprit for the elevated risk of psoriasis.

Barley, they said, contains gluten, to which some people with psoriasis show a sensitivity. Light beers contain lower amounts of barley while non-light or dark beers contain higher amounts of this ingredient.

The authors suggested that women at a high risk of psoriasis may consider not drinking non-light beer.

Still, a health observer suggested that the association between consumption of non-light beer and elevated risk of psoriasis may be a causal relation.

He cited an article circulated over the internet saying that people tend to drink more dark beers in the winter when vitamin D deficiency is more commonly found than in the summer.

Vitamin D has been known to be involved in the immune system, and deficiency of this sunshine vitamin can cause a wide spectrum of diseases including autoimmune diseases, according to the Vitamin D Council. So it is possible that vitamin D deficiency is linked to increased risk of psoriasis.

In fact, vitamin D products are used to ease symptoms of psoriasis.

According to a study reported in the Aug 2009 issue of Journal of Drugs in Dermatology, calcitriol ointments can be used to improve symptoms of psoriasis. The efficacy may be boosted by ultraviolet B phototherapy.

Calcitriol is the naturally occurring active form of vitamin D3. Ultraviolet B can induce the vitamin when the skin is exposed to the UV ray.

In another report, the author whose name remains unknown in the pubmed database says the U.S. Food and Drug Administration has actually approved one such ointment to treat psoriasis.

Because many factors may influence the risk of psoriasis, it remains unknown whether avoiding non-light beer would help reduce the risk.

This was on women but I have no doubt it applies to men. I know a bit about brewing, "Light" beers tend to be brewed out to completion, i.e. all sugars are fermented out so they are lower in calories compared to another beer brewed to the same alcohol level, e.g. both 4.2%. Also light beers might have sugar added to lessen the taste and make it "cleaner", so less barley.

I drink a lot of beer, maybe 35 cans a week of regular beer, I have noticed it got worse after drinking, this is also due to skin dehydration though. I have been reading a book on psoriasis that reckons it is caused by "leaky gut syndrome" and beer is a no-no for this. I have been sipping on sodium bicarbonate AKA baking soda AKA bread soda AKA bicarbonate of soda which helps neutralise the acids. The author talks of eating alkaline foods, and lists acidic causing foods, citric fruits are actually alkaline causing foods (while being acidic themselves). The diet is extremely strict but also says the main culprits are "nightshades", e.g. tomatoes, potatoes, peppers. Sweet potato is OK. The author did report less itching in a patient who drank bicarbonate of soda. I have found it did cause less of an effect and also calmed the acid stomach the next day.

Vitamin D is mentioned in that study too, which is very important IMO. I have a UVB light and my psoriasis is pretty much gone. In recent weeks I have been back eating small amounts of ketchup, chips, pizza and other "nightshades", and still drinking beer like a fish! I also stopped the UVB and it did come back slightly. Had a go of UVB and it is clearing up again.

I got a narrowband UVB bulb myself and it has worked wonders.

This study shows no real difference between PUVA & UVB http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17254029

This shows PUVA slightly better
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17584319

This says better results with Vitiligo with UVB
    http://www.antivitiligo.com/vitiligo/research/vitiligo-treatment-uvb-puva.html

http://www.natbiocorp.com/equipment-selection-guide.htm
    Do you need UVA, UVB, or narrowband UVB lights?

* Your doctor will decide the right wavelength for your skin and condition, but...
    * UVA light is used with psoralen (PUVA), has longer treatment times, requires more doctor visits to monitor treatment, but is sometimes the most effective
    * UVB light is generally safer and easier than UVA. Units cost a bit more, but you save with fewer co-pays and less time.
    * Narrow band UVB lights are safest and fastest but may not always be appropriate for your condition. Learn more about narrow band UVB.

http://dermnetnz.org/procedures/puva.html
    PUVA is used infrequently in New Zealand, as narrowband UVB phototherapy has been shown to be nearly as effective. UVB is also less complicated and less risky.
    I think the "risk" mentioned is cancer risk.

In reading up a hell of a lot of sites it seems the cancer risk is very much overstated -for narrowband UVB anyway, some studies said there was no increase in risk at all, in fact some might suggest it could help combat other forms of cancer. The UVB is upping your vitamin D levels, which most people are deficient in, it could be that the extra vitamin D is counteracting any increased risk or something.

The problem with wideband UVB, or regular sunbeds is that you are getting unwanted light along with the particular wavelength of light which acts against psoriasis. So by using narrowband UVB light you only are subjected to far less radiation to get the same effect. It would be sort of like throwing buckets of water at a shot glass trying to fill it, when you could be using a small bottle, -sure it gets the job done but with unnecessary side effects.

What disgusted me most reading many forums is that some dermatologists refuse people UVB light, or will not prescribe them bulbs/lamps to use at home (some countries require a prescription to buy a lamp). Seems like some of them are just businessmen and only interested in maintaining a lifelong patient/customer. I also suppose pharmaceutical companies are crapping themselves at the thought of lost sales due to such a simple therapy.

Some people do put unusual trust in doctors but I view them like any other type of business, apple put crap batteries in the ipods to keep you coming back to get more, many people have built in obsolescence in machines, I suppose some doctors might care more about continued income than what is actual best for the patient. One member on a forum said his dermatologist claimed he had never even heard of UVB/light therapy! if he was that ignorant he should not be allowed practice.

Nice post, the beer thing entirely makes sense, gluten is known to exacerbate pretty much all auto-immune conditions for some reason. Casein does for some people too.

You can get gluten-free beer, the one I tried was really nasty though, has anyone found a nice brand? I miss beer :(

Re: acid/base balance, I severely doubt that has much to do with anything, the evidence for it is weak at best and the reason people normally do well is because base foods are usually higher in potassium and magnesium, also people end up avoiding grains due to their supposed 'acidifying' effect. If you look at really healthy populations the acid/base balance is all over the place but they're not eating wheat, veg oils and refined sugars which seems to be key.

That's shocking if that dermatologist did not know about UVB and psoriasis. Hopefully that study I posted will be read and the word will get out about the effective and cheap option.

Just found this great site with loads of referenced studies, but they talk about them in easy to understand layman terms.

Scroll down a bit and you will see loads of links.

http://www.ergo-log.com/

Its more aimed at athletes but has some good stuff, e.g. on vitamin d

http://www.google.com/custom?domains=ergo-log.com&q=vitamin+d&sa=+search+&sitesearch=ergo-log.com&client=pub-7117181179885591&forid=1&ie=ISO-8859-1&oe=ISO-8859-1&cof=LH%3A36%3BLW%3A92%3BL%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.ergo-log.com%2Fplaatjes%2Flogo.gif%3B%3BS%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2F%3BFORID%3A1%3B&hl=en

Oooh, that's a goldmine..

'Specially like this:

http://www.ergo-log.com/lowcarbwithouttraining.html

I had always found this with personal experience but I never found hard evidence for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Red Cortina

Made a couple of purchases from the book depository website at the weekend.
    • Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon
    • The Vitamin D Solution (think it was recommended by ULStudent?)
    • In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan (was this recommended by ULStudent or Sapsparrow?)
    • Omnivores Dilemma (don't know who recommended it??)
    • The Original Human Diet by Robb Wolf
    • The Woman in the Body by Emily Martina
    • Birth as an American Rite of Passage by Robbie Davis-Floyd.
    Hoping these last couple of books will follow on nicely from Ancient Bodies, Modern Lives. They were recommended from this blog that I follow http://professorkateclancy.blogspot.com/2010/09/repost-which-is-more-safe-home-birth-or.html

Really looking forward to reading Robb Wolf's book too, apparently he talks about how he helped heal his mother of all sorts of health related issues by having her adhere to a Paleo type diet.

Will keep ye posted as to what I thought of them:)

I am so sad for being excited about this but Stephen Fry just mentioned cauliflower mash on QI.. Is that how he lost his 4 stone?

I am so sad for being excited about this but Stephen Fry just mentioned cauliflower mash on QI.. Is that how he lost his 4 stone?

Cauliflower mash with a little melted butter ... yum. Also, in a phase of softening a butternut squash and then mashing with some almond butter. May think its gross but christ its savage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Wandered out to the kitchen for something related to a dead animal....

found a carrot cake.

Success

What the ****?

Why doesnt that ever happen to me. Gimme out the carrot cake and you can hold onto your milk and pizza.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

What the ****?

Why doesnt that ever happen to me. Gimme out the carrot cake and you can hold onto your milk and pizza.

i had some wicked homemade pizza today,

sweetcorn, tuna, ham, tomato sauce, courgette, onions, peppers and enough cheese to kill most people.

Washed down with a litre of unpasturised milk.

Quality nutrition right there kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

cream cheese icing is the best thing ever.

cream cheese icing is the best thing ever.

Recipe or GTFO. :D

I've been eating lots of locally grown apples and plums lately from the farmers markets and no other fruits (trying to eat only seasonally/locally seeing as there's so much on offer at this stage in the year). Today I was in town and feeling hungry so I grabbed 2 different varieties of organic apples in the English market and wow are they sweet! It's like eating pick and mix! I've been eating a variety of maybe 6 different types of apples grown in the south and west as well as maybe three varieties of plums from the south and although sweet enough to taste good they still have an interesting tart quality, which is totally absent from the two I bought today. What's that all about? My mums apple trees are only a few years old and aren't any special variety as far as I know, is it to do with growing conditions or just variety?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

I have this instead of potatoes now. I usually buy the frozen broccoli and cauliflower tesco mix and boil it away. Then just mash it up with some butter. Tasty.

Advertisement