Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunbed use for Psoriasis

Options
  • 16-07-2010 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭

Hi

I'm just wondering if anybody has ever used a sunbed in the treatment of Psoriasis? Did you find it helpfull and is there any science that says it would improve your skin?

Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭chirogirl

I did use them occasionally when my psoriasis got bad. It only improved it in the short term.

However I got referred to a dermatolgist, who has referred me for PUVA light therapy in the hospital which starts this week. You're exposed to the light for just a few seconds. I'll have to go 3 times a week for 30 sessions in total. Apparently you can only have 300 sessions in a life time.

have you seen a dermatologist?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭BrianJD

God that sounds like serious stuff....is it very expensive? Gonna see a dermatologist tomorrow so hopefully something can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 wertyu12

Guys is a dermatologist the best to go to first as I have psorasis on both legs and it ain't improving at all, was prescribed dovabet as the strongest cream but still to no avail has that even worked. Let me know if the uv sessions work please?

Yeah, i start tomorrow with a patch test on my back, then I go back on wednesday to see if there has been a reaction. If all goes to plan, i'll be going every mon, weds and friday. So it means rearranging work hours etc. Also, you have to sign a disclaimer. In case you develop melanoma / skin cancer. so there's a lot involved.

Yes, I've previously used dovobet, it did work but only temporarily. Plus I've psoriasis on my back which I cannot reach to in order to treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Beverley Macca

Really weird, I just had a shower and said to the wife that I was going to log on here and see did anyone know an old granny remedy. I'm in bits. My legs and arms are covered.

I cannot afford €108 for the Dovobet cream every month. Plus it hasn't had much effect.

So has anyone any tales of drinking cats wee or whatever and it worked. I'll try anything.

• Advertisement

chirogirl wrote: »
    Yeah, i start tomorrow with a patch test on my back, then I go back on wednesday to see if there has been a reaction. If all goes to plan, i'll be going every mon, weds and friday. So it means rearranging work hours etc. Also, you have to sign a disclaimer. In case you develop melanoma / skin cancer. so there's a lot involved.

Yes, I've previously used dovobet, it did work but only temporarily. Plus I've psoriasis on my back which I cannot reach to in order to treat.

Best of luck tomorrow!

Thanks!

I agree about the rip off cost of Dovobet here. I took my prescription to Boots up in the North. They charged 44 quid.

BrianJD wrote: »
    Hi

I'm just wondering if anybody has ever used a sunbed in the treatment of Psoriasis? Did you find it helpfull and is there any science that says it would improve your skin?

Thanks for any replies.

Hey just a quick follow up. Amazingly after 3 session, 5 mins each i have reduced my flare up by about 90%. It works unbelievably well considering I had it from my neck down and was covered in it. I'm gonna keep at it, unless I suddenly start looking like a wag!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I haven't used cream in ages. I started using medication last August, Metatrexate which does take it's toll on the body and was going well, until I got swine flu which set me back and it flared up again. Now I'm on another medication and it seems to be settling again. Using the dream drove me demented, especially the ointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

chirogirl wrote: »
    However I got referred to a dermatolgist, who has referred me for PUVA light therapy in the hospital which starts this week.
    I got a narrowband UVB bulb myself and it has worked wonders.

This study shows no real difference between PUVA & UVB http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17254029

This shows PUVA slightly better
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17584319

This says better results with Vitiligo with UVB
    http://www.antivitiligo.com/vitiligo/research/vitiligo-treatment-uvb-puva.html

http://www.natbiocorp.com/equipment-selection-guide.htm
    Do you need UVA, UVB, or narrowband UVB lights?

* Your doctor will decide the right wavelength for your skin and condition, but...
    * UVA light is used with psoralen (PUVA), has longer treatment times, requires more doctor visits to monitor treatment, but is sometimes the most effective
    * UVB light is generally safer and easier than UVA. Units cost a bit more, but you save with fewer co-pays and less time.
    * Narrow band UVB lights are safest and fastest but may not always be appropriate for your condition. Learn more about narrow band UVB.

http://dermnetnz.org/procedures/puva.html
    PUVA is used infrequently in New Zealand, as narrowband UVB phototherapy has been shown to be nearly as effective. UVB is also less complicated and less risky.
    I think the "risk" mentioned is cancer risk.

In reading up a hell of a lot of sites it seems the cancer risk is very much overstated -for narrowband UVB anyway, some studies said there was no increase in risk at all, in fact some might suggest it could help combat other forms of cancer. The UVB is upping your vitamin D levels, which most people are deficient in, it could be that the extra vitamin D is counteracting any increased risk or something.

The problem with wideband UVB, or regular sunbeds is that you are getting unwanted light along with the particular wavelength of light which acts against psoriasis. So by using narrowband UVB light you only are subjected to far less radiation to get the same effect. It would be sort of like throwing buckets of water at a shot glass trying to fill it, when you could be using a small bottle, -sure it gets the job done but with unnecessary side effects.

What disgusted me most reading many forums is that some dermatologists refuse people UVB light, or will not prescribe them bulbs/lamps to use at home (some countries require a prescription to buy a lamp). Seems like some of them are just businessmen and only interested in maintaining a lifelong patient/customer. I also suppose pharmaceutical companies are crapping themselves at the thought of lost sales due to such a simple therapy.

Some people do put unusual trust in doctors but I view them like any other type of business, apple put crap batteries in the ipods to keep you coming back to get more, many people have built in obsolescence in machines, I suppose some doctors might care more about continued income than what is actual best for the patient. One member on a forum said his dermatologist claimed he had never even heard of UVB/light therapy! if he was that ignorant he should not be allowed practice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement