Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Off Topic Thread...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Ouch. Not really a fan of cheese myself, rarely have it and have only ever tried a couple of them.

And if cheese was a bad idea for you, a large plate of brussel sprouts was a bad one for me :|

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Speaking of cheese, anyone see this?

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/1105/breaking22.html

Bizarre! Not that I could give edam..

I'll get my coat..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It did sound odd, but makes some sense, it is like butter vouchers. Or in the US they have food stamps, it might stop people blowing "dole" money on smokes & drink, but reading on wiki you can get soft drinks & sweets with them so it might not make much of a difference healthwise.

They should really force them to be used on healthier foods or at least ones that benefit the taxpayer like getting rid of "butter mountains".

Also I imagine taxpayers are forking out money for government adverts on TV for cheese etc, those bord bia type adverts. It can be seen as advertising it in a way, like free samples.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Latest food obsession....

133921.jpg

Just arrived back in stock in work so I had to try it out, it's AMAZING! So thick and creamy and incredibly tasty. Eating it with stevia, 85% chocolate chips and cashews now. I know I should know but does anyone know what the lactose content is like in sheeps yoghurt relative to cows? Or in the milk even? Does anyone here eat sheeps milk over cows in general?

Nice, never seen it around. Had a look in Tesco's but it wasn't there.

• Advertisement

They import it from France, I've never seen it before. I doubt it'd be easy to find in a supermarket tbh as they specialize in particularly fine (and very expensive) foods. Two little tubs is 2 euros (:eek:), but I get fifty cents off and the glass jars are handy so I didn't mind too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Sapsorrow wrote: »
    Latest food obsession....

133921.jpg

Just arrived back in stock in work so I had to try it out, it's AMAZING! So thick and creamy and incredibly tasty. Eating it with stevia, 85% chocolate chips and cashews now. I know I should know but does anyone know what the lactose content is like in sheeps yoghurt relative to cows? Or in the milk even? Does anyone here eat sheeps milk over cows in general?

I'm 99% sure the lactose content is actually higher in sheep milk than cow milk, I remember researching it before..

Balls :(

I remember reading that it can be better to drink than cow's milk for those that are lactose intolerant, though.

I remember the way they explained it was that, the proteins in sheep milk are very similar to the proteins found in human milk, and therefore it was digested much better than cow milk.

Don't quote me on it though!

Speaking of milk, one from Loren Cordain's latest newsletter (sorry for the crappy formatting):
    An Achilles heel in the lifecycle of Plasmodia species is it’s reliance upon the availability of folate, an essential nutrient for these rapidly growing parasites. Pharmaceuticals such as pyrimethamine and sulfa drugs are effective anti-malarials because they interfere with the conversion of PABA to folate (depicted in the Shikimate pathway below). In vitro (test-tube) experiments indicate that Plasmodia species have the ability to synthesize limited amounts of folate endogenously, however further experiments show that these parasites cannot synthesize sufficient quantities of folate to survive in living animals (in vivo)1. Hence, without adequate supplemental stores of PABA and folate from their host’s tissues, Plasmodia species have no capacity to cause lethal infections. In support of this scenario is an extensive, but older literature reviewed in references2, 3 showing that exclusive milk diets suppress malarial infections in birds, rodents, and primates. Milk contains very little PABA and yields low concentrations of folate (60-90 µg/1000 kcal; ~ 20 % of the DRI for a 3 year old child). The suppression of malarial symptoms is abrogated when supplemental PABA is added to all milk diets of infected animals2, 3. Further, rodent models of malaria demonstrate that dietary PABA and folate reduce the efficacy of sulfa drugs4 and in humans, high blood concentrations of folate also impair the efficacy of pyrimethamine and sulfa drugs5. An experimental study of 20 West African infants, up to 2 years of age who were naturally infected with Plasmodia falciparum demonstrated that exclusive milk diets reduced parasite density and decreased disease symptoms within a few days in a manner similar to those (n=12) serving as controls and treated with chloroquine therapy.

So an exclusive milk diet has anti-malarial qualities, weird eh?

• Advertisement

What's the ingredient breakdown of the Le Bercail yogurt? Haven't had yogurt in years so not really sure what's good/what's bad out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 foodforliving

It makes sense as there are traditional cultures around the world that consume radically different diets, but they all have a few things in common, they maximise their intake of nutrients (minerals, vitamins, essential amino acids and essential fats in the correct ratios) and minimise their intake of anti-nutrients (lectins, phytates, and I would add gluten and oxidised fat to that list too).

Also remember the fact the the average Asian person consumed more calories per day than the average American. The calories debate is becoming more and more antiquated as we learn that food can no longer be considered purely about calories but about a range of other factors such as nutrients, essential fatty acids patios and carbohydrate make up.

Also remember the fact the the average Asian person consumed more calories per day than the average American. The calories debate is becoming more and more antiquated as we learn that food can no longer be considered purely about calories but about a range of other factors such as nutrients, essential fatty acids patios and carbohydrate make up.

Ah, you were quoting me! I thought I was being plagurised for a second there ;)

essential fatty acids patios

Ha imagine!

Any of you see that program that tv3 have been running, How Healthy are You?

If so, what did you make of it?

You can stream episodes of it on the tv3 website here.

Just back from seeing my new GP (who I have to say is amazing, most comprehensive assessment I've ever had from a GP) and he reckons my angular stomatitis fundamentally has nothing to do with candida at all. He says it's all down the nutrient deficiency and strongly suspects I am Coeliac. I suffer from depression and panic attacks too and he reckons they along with the IBS and nutrient malabsorption (that causes the angular stomatits) all have the same underlying cause, he just doesn't know what it is yet. He's booked me in for a full bloods, an endoscopy and is testing for an under active thyroid and diabetes too. Bit stunned by it all tbh wasn't expecting it at all. Don't know where to go with my diet now though, he was impressed with my diet and supplementation regime and reckons to keep going with it till we know more and not to go on the anti-candida diet. He reckons I'm anaemic too despite all the meat I eat now. Anyone here had an endoscopy? I'm a bit worried about it, sounds awful :(

I haven't but know loads that have. I'm under the impression that it is a pretty common procedure these days!

You supplementing iron too?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Iv had two - they are grand. Local anesthetic and you wake up a few hours after with a vague recollection of the camera been put down. Extremely common - not a biggie in the slightest. 1st one they found H.Pylori, 2nd one, nothing. Funnily enough - my symptoms have always mirrored yours.

Yup, don't worry about it, perfectly standard procedure. I was scheduled for one but then managed to sort out my IBS with diet so never went ahead with it.

That's so brilliant that your GP is so good, worth its weight in gold that is. Shocked that he considered coeliac straight off. Make sure you get your stool tested rather than just bloods, the stool test is way more sensitive.

Best of luck xxx

Thanks guys! Ya he's great, very holistic approach and very clued up on nutrition too. I told him I'd been gluten-free for months and that my IBS was grand now since going paleo but he said I could still be getting exposed from contaminated cutlery etc so he still wants to check it out, especially considering the nutrient malabsorption and depression (I was amazed he was aware of the link between them!). Not supplementing iron as I thought the meat would provide more than enough, I also seem to be deficient in B6, B12 and certain minerals despite supplementing so my gut must be really fecked. I wonder how expensive the endoscopy is? Medical cards up next week and working now so can't renew it :(

• Advertisement

Well I'm not too clued in on supplementation and all that, was just curious. I had me some tasty Hodgins black pudding for breakfast this morning, pretty sure that's got a bit of iron in it :) Fwiw, iron is one supplement where you need to pretty sure you're taking the correct amount (well, that should really apply to all though shouldn't it)...open to correction on that one though!

Thanks guys! Ya he's great, very holistic approach and very clued up on nutrition too. I told him I'd been gluten-free for months and that my IBS was grand now since going paleo but he said I could still be getting exposed from contaminated cutlery etc so he still wants to check it out, especially considering the nutrient malabsorption and depression (I was amazed he was aware of the link between them!). Not supplementing iron as I thought the meat would provide more than enough, I also seem to be deficient in B6, B12 and certain minerals despite supplementing so my gut must be really fecked. I wonder how expensive the endoscopy is? Medical cards up next week and working now so can't renew it :(

A shocking amount of people are unable to correctly absorb B12 from food. You can get sublingual B12 that you pop on your tongue so it's absorbed into the bloodstream that way bypassing the gut. You'll know within a few days if it's making a difference or not. But it's great that you've got a cooperative doctor to monitor any supplementation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

rubadub wrote: »
    It did sound odd, but makes some sense, it is like butter vouchers. Or in the US they have food stamps, it might stop people blowing "dole" money on smokes & drink, but reading on wiki you can get soft drinks & sweets with them so it might not make much of a difference healthwise.

They should really force them to be used on healthier foods or at least ones that benefit the taxpayer like getting rid of "butter mountains".

Also I imagine taxpayers are forking out money for government adverts on TV for cheese etc, those bord bia type adverts. It can be seen as advertising it in a way, like free samples.

There haven't been any butter or food mountains in the EU since they introduced subsidies.

Picked up a couple of bags of salmon fillets in Tesco today. 6 for 5.49. Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Red Cortina

Anyone here had an endoscopy? I'm a bit worried about it, sounds awful
    I had a colonoscopy and gastroscopy and it was grand. Even the preparations that I had to take the day before to clear everything out wasn’t as bad as I had thought it would be.
    Make sure you get your stool tested rather than just bloods, the stool test is way more sensitive.
    I had this testing done with Enterolab and thought it was well worth it. Am considering getting it done again a year later to see how well I have been able to adhere to a GF diet.
    Not supplementing iron as I thought the meat would provide more than enough, I also seem to be deficient in B6, B12 and certain minerals despite supplementing so my gut must be really fecked. I wonder how expensive the endoscopy is? Medical cards up next week and working now so can't renew it
    I got some blood tests done recently and I was tested for B12 levels (which were grand for me).
    Would you consider joining the Coeliac Society of Ireland? I bit the bullet there recently and think it was well worth it. You get a book with a list of all the products which are actually gluten free....

Oh sapsorrow on the iron testing front, get your ferritin levels checked and not just blood levels. You can have loads of iron and have low blood levels if your body is hiding it due to a low-level infection. It's a standard test so shouldn't be any hassle to get it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

In the middle of my application for MA Publin Health in UCD. Going to apply for Health ed and Promotion in NUIG too. I know Cork does Public health also. I ams till toying with the idea of applying for the Hdip but with the closing date 3 weeks away id better get cracking.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Adelie

I got advice on another thread about a neti pot for sinus issues but I'm posting here since it's sort of off-topic.

Anyway I tried a few pharmacists and they all had sachets of saline rinse but no pot. Finally in Boots they had a kit that comes with a squeezable bottle and the sachets. The brand is NeilMed. The pharmacist in Boots reckoned they might have the pots in a health store but I figured the bottle should do the job. It has the advantages that it's smaller and more portable anyway plus it comes with the sachets.

I gave it a go and I do feel a bit less congested but hopefully after a few more goes it'll be even better. I can always try cutting out dairy again, that's what makes it really bad :( Or I could just use the pot every time I eat cheese :D

Hey Red Cortina, cheers for the info. Joining the society is a great idea, will definitely do that. I am dreading a positive result, the doc is seemed confident that would be the problem considering all my health issues over the last few years, I'd hate to have to start worrying about very minor contamination everywhere I go. :( Plus my fave crisps say 'may contain traces of gluten' on 'em and I've been eating them anyway :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Thanks El D, I forgot about that with the iron. I'll ask to nurse to make sure it gets done.

UL that's fantastic! I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed for ya, I'd love to do the one in Galway myself. Cork's one is a bit hardcore sciencey for my likes.

Advertisement