Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Off Topic Thread...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Recipe or GTFO. :D

The secret ingredient is sugar.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

The secret ingredient is sugar.

Gadammit. It always is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Sap or El D can no doubt pin this down for me -

Spelt as a grain. How damaging is this overall as a grain? Not that im overly worried but itd be nice to know. I made spelt cookies tonight simply because i was bored with spelt, oats, chopped almonds, little peanut butter and xylitol. Not so bad tasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭brainyneuron

ULstudent wrote: »
    Sap or El D can no doubt pin this down for me -

Spelt as a grain. How damaging is this overall as a grain? Not that im overly worried but itd be nice to know. I made spelt cookies tonight simply because i was bored with spelt, oats, chopped almonds, little peanut butter and xylitol. Not so bad tasting.

Hey UL don't know if this answers your question but I'll fire away anyway

Spelt is a similar grain to common wheat but has a lower wheat/gluten content. I know that, myself, while I can't eat most breads/pasta's etc without bloating, I can eat spelt products with no problems. Apparently though with IBS sufferers if you eat too much of it, you might become intolerant to it (i guess because of the overall level of gluten you're taking in). I remember that Pembily, a couple of months ago, noticed that she began to react to spelt after she started using too much of it.

From wikipedia (shame on me but its late!)
    'Spelt contains about 57.9 percent carbohydrates (excluding 9.2 percent fibre), 17.0 percent protein and 3.0 percent fat, as well as dietary minerals and vitamins. As it contains a moderate amount of gluten, it is suitable for some baking'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Spelt is just an old variety of wheat grown in Europe, it still contains gluten, anti-nutrients and lectins (although not WGA, the baddie from regular wheat) so I wouldn't use it myself. It's not reccomended for celiacs. I have a few almond cookie recipes on the blog if you're in need of a grain free cookie binge!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

This stuff pretty much doesn't have a taste, but for some reason i can't stop eating it.

40580_458356871054_571876054_6665831_3881439_n.jpg

Also while searching for a pic i found one on this ladys blog, she appears to just take pics of what she's eating... i think i love her.

I can't believe that i have only discovered mascarpone cheese today. Tub and spoon in hand.It's ****ing lovely. Move over cottage cheese, there's a new cheese love in my life.

Still awaiting my appointment for the hospital for the camera down. Last time i got it down had bacteria infection in the stomach that was causing everything that goes in to go back out. (Yes - im sharing my bowel movements with you. deal with it)

Happening again -not fun. Was out doing a run yesterday down the riverbanks in UL and id say i nearly had to sprint back for the toilet. New world record 100m i reckon.

ULstudent wrote: »
    I can't believe that i have only discovered mascarpone cheese today. Tub and spoon in hand.It's ****ing lovely. Move over cottage cheese, there's a new cheese love in my life.

Still awaiting my appointment for the hospital for the camera down. Last time i got it down had bacteria infection in the stomach that was causing everything that goes in to go back out. (Yes - im sharing my bowel movements with you. deal with it)

Happening again -not fun. Was out doing a run yesterday down the riverbanks in UL and id say i nearly had to sprint back for the toilet. New world record 100m i reckon.

Ah you poor thing, that sounds awful. As a former IBS sufferer I can really sympathise.

Hope all goes well for the hospital appointment. xx

eeeeeeeppppppp

mascarpone is a huge no for me anyway. I got it in the polish supermarket so i cannot actually read the ingredients but by the nutritional info im pretty sure there's nothing other than the usual mascarpone ingredients. didnt stay in my system for long though :o

Did you ever try those now digestive enzymes? They worked pretty well in my case, I couldn't eat a lot of raw fruit and veg before and now I can. You don't need to take them forever either, I did four weeks and was completely sorted.

• Advertisement

Symposium on Saturated Fat in Wayne State university streaming live now!

Tune in if you have time:

http://www.clas.wayne.edu/NFS/stream.html

Currently a harvard medical school researcher doing a lecture on how they got it wrong on sat fat...wheeeeee!!!!

Ah I saw Dr Eades linked that on Twitter earlier, I'm busy watching the new Star Trek movie though :p Is anyone here on twitter btw? I'm @foodflorafeline if anyone wants to connect!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Did you ever try those now digestive enzymes?
    I heard of some tablet called beano. Poitin makers meant to use it as it would turn the starches in grains into sugars without having to bother with the malting process.

Thought it was specific to Ireland but shows up on wiki
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beano_(dietary_supplement)

Did you ever try those now digestive enzymes? They worked pretty well in my case, I couldn't eat a lot of raw fruit and veg before and now I can. You don't need to take them forever either, I did four weeks and was completely sorted.

This is your 2nd time mentioning them to me - can you linkey me again please?

http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Super-Enzymes-180-Capsules/857?at=0

They feel kind of burn-y in the back of your throat, but a week on them and you really notice the difference.

L-glutamine is good for healing the gut too. Dr. Eades mentioned that in the Protein Power book.

Does anyone have a link to that thread about feeding 2 people on fifty euros a week? I did a mega budget shop in Dunnes today that happened to work out at exactly fifty quid so was gonna throw a blog post together on it tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Red Cortina

Excellent thanks :) I'll stick a link in there later when I get the post up so! Dunnes is great, 1/2kilo of smoked salmon for 5euro :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Red Cortina

Cool, can't wait to read:)

http://thehealthyskeptic.org/when-it-comes-to-fish-oil-more-is-not-better

Got this is my email inbox today courtesy of the healthy skeptic blog. Made for interesting reading

• Advertisement

Yep, I feel more than smug with my fermented cod liver oil now. :)

Though I'd really like to get away without supplementing any oil at all, but I'm not sure I've really redressed the balance in my tissue yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

tesco-value-carrots.jpg&t=1

On that note:

foodcops_label.gif

Anyone ever eaten physalis? These things:

physalis.jpg

They are so hard to find but I found a punnet today in the market. They're like a cross between a gooseberry and a lovely plum.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Frogdog

Anyone ever eaten physalis? These things:

physalis.jpg

They are so hard to find but I found a punnet today in the market. They're like a cross between a gooseberry and a lovely plum.

Yep, had them a couple of times before, usually get them on top of ice-cream and other desserts out in restaurants.

Oooh just finished my first week working in the English Market, decided to make the most of my staff discount at our stall. So I brought home...

Freshly made basil pesto (best ever but wickedly expensive even with the discount)
    Smoked salmon pate (given to us from another stall at closing)
    Quince jelly (for the cheese)
    Loads of cheeses to try (Rocamadour, Morbier, Zamora, Blue D'Auvergne, Brie de Melon, Mothais Affine and an ol' stinky Dutch goats cheese)
    And 2 pieces of grain free chocolate cake, that even has it's own facebook page for fans.
    Someone tell me it's ok to eat this much dairy please! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Linkage to chocolate cake page or no thanks for the above post :/

Lol here ya go: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=65480360850

Just tried it there, it's absolutely mind blowingly wonderful, and chocolatey too. I'm definitely getting the recipe from work to make a sugar-free version.

• Advertisement

All that cheese was a terrrible idea, had awful tummy ache all night :( Wonder if I can get away with eating even a little bit, I'm obliged to learn them all for work:confused:

Advertisement