Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Off Topic Thread...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Lol funny that the doctor thinks you might be coeliac in light of a 'debate' about ordering as a coeliac when not diagnosed that happened before...I'm sure you remember!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Jesus, not again :D

anyone know if regular cabbage could be replaced with other cabbages for kale chips/crispy kale?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Lol I know ya I remember alright!

Ugh no I wouldn't dare replace kale with cabbage, sounds scary, like something from a Roald Dahl book (cabbage flavoured crisps) :pac:

Oh I am looking forward to lunch tomorrow...

134417.JPG

Salad (lettuce, baby leaf spinach, red onion, red and yellow pepper, cucumber, baby beetroot and chopped mixed nuts) dressed in hazelnut and olive oil and lemon juice.

Beef burgers (made with onion, thyme and smoked paprika) topped with a few fresh basil leaves and slices of pizza mozzarella (it's works fault!). These were cooked in the oven this evening, along with the others we had for dinner and will be popped in the microwave in work to get all melty and lovely.

Oh and for my little break, an apple and yoghurt with stevia, blueberries, my chocolate-coconut brittle, cream and cashews.

I'm loving having a microwave at work!

• Advertisement

I really should get my arse in gear and organise something but it's currently some fruit, the remains of the banana bread and two salmon fillets (frozen ones I just cooked, will heat up in the microwave tomorrow along with some sweet potato).

But yeah, yours looks pretty awesome I must say!

Oh your's sounds great what are ya on about! I bought a tenners worth of seafood mix in the market today, gonna do a killer chowder for Fridays lunch!

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Red Cortina

Sapsorrow wrote: »
    Hey Red Cortina, cheers for the info. Joining the society is a great idea, will definitely do that. I am dreading a positive result, the doc is seemed confident that would be the problem considering all my health issues over the last few years, I'd hate to have to start worrying about very minor contamination everywhere I go. :( Plus my fave crisps say 'may contain traces of gluten' on 'em and I've been eating them anyway :rolleyes:
    Man but you are so different to me! I was very very disappointed when the results of my tests came back as it meant that there was no proper diagnosis of what was wrong with me except for the vague, wishy-washy IBS.....
    I know how you feel about the crisps, I was very attached to Double Deckers around this time last year but nearly had to go through some kind of grieving process when I said goodbye to them! (How stoopid does that sound!!)

See this is the irony, I haven't felt so good in years (literally). I've barely had a hint of IBS since going primal and giving up gluten. The only time I've felt crap in over six months was when I ate gluten once or twice (a slice of rbead at a party and a packet of cheese n onion taytos) or tried eating 2 ducks eggs (was cramping and vomiting for 8+ hours after that, I'm such a dope sometimes :rolleyes:). I really felt like I had fixed everything bar the depression but then my mouth thing started up again a few weeks ago (indicating deficiencies and malabsorption) and it seems all is not well underneath the surface after all. I feel a bit disappointed for the opposite reason! I can't see how I can improve my diet any more to heal myself and I already supplement so what more can I possibly do to fix it!? Arrrghh the irony of it all, knowing people smoking and eating cake all their lives and getting off scott free till the very end. It's not fair dammit! :pac:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

See this is the irony, I haven't felt so good in years (literally). I've barely had a hint of IBS since going primal and giving up gluten. The only time I've felt crap in over six months was when I ate gluten once or twice (a slice of rbead at a party and a packet of cheese n onion taytos) or tried eating 2 ducks eggs (was cramping and vomiting for 8+ hours after that, I'm such a dope sometimes :rolleyes:). I really felt like I had fixed everything bar the depression but then my mouth thing started up again a few weeks ago (indicating deficiencies and malabsorption) and it seems all is not well underneath the surface after all. I feel a bit disappointed for the opposite reason! I can't see how I can improve my diet any more to heal myself and I already supplement so what more can I possibly do to fix it!? Arrrghh the irony of it all, knowing people smoking and eating cake all their lives and getting off scott free till the very end. It's not fair dammit! :pac:

I think there is only so much that diet can do. Now it's medicine's turn. You can at least take solace in the fact that once you do get a diagnosis, you can then start to work with your doctor on getting better.

For all the caveman talk I'm still really grateful for modern medical science.

• Advertisement

Really? What could medications do for me or say a coeliac? Do they reduce inflammation in the gut or help you absorb nutrients better or something? I don't have any qualms with meds as long as I know I'm in the hands of a good doctor, which I know I am now. I'm on meds again now for depression anyway (for me it's purely biochemical, not at all circumstantial, not sure if that's better or worse lol :p), so if I could heal my gut and inadvertently heal my brain in the process it'd be a fantastic trade off tbh :D Curing the depression may be as simple as getting shots of B vitamins that can then actually get into my system or healing my gut so I can absorb nutrients from my food properly again. Bizarre really, makes you realise just how precious one's gut really is to the integrity of the health of the body.

El D can you reccomend a K2 supp on Iherb for me?

Your counterpart on MArks daily apple CillaKat (who's equally astonishingly well informed on everything nutrition related) recommended I look at this: http://www.iherb.com/Nature-s-Plus-Hema-Plex-Multinutrient-Hematinic-Supplement-30-Tablets/7662?at=0 to cover most of my needs in one supplement. She's a huge advocate of mega (ie. proper) doses of D3 but reckons I shouldn't be taking calcium, rather focusing on getting optimal D3, K2 and Magnesium from supplements for bone health as my mum has a degenerative skeletal condition affecting her spine that's genetic, it's not osteoperosis/penia though.

Lol I know ya I remember alright!

Ugh no I wouldn't dare replace kale with cabbage, sounds scary, like something from a Roald Dahl book (cabbage flavoured crisps) :pac:

What do the kale chips taste like so??? They're both cabbages like.

cream ( I know, I know)

Sorry but I'm not sure why you've included the 'I know, I know' part :D Just after having a bowl full of cream, natural yogurt and 85% dark chocolate. Probably could have done with a sweetener of some sort...

El D can you reccomend a K2 supp on Iherb for me?

Your counterpart on MArks daily apple CillaKat (who's equally astonishingly well informed on everything nutrition related) recommended I look at this: http://www.iherb.com/Nature-s-Plus-Hema-Plex-Multinutrient-Hematinic-Supplement-30-Tablets/7662?at=0 to cover most of my needs in one supplement. She's a huge advocate of mega (ie. proper) doses of D3 but reckons I shouldn't be taking calcium, rather focusing on getting optimal D3, K2 and Magnesium from supplements for bone health as my mum has a degenerative skeletal condition affecting her spine that's genetic, it's not osteoperosis/penia though.

There are indeed good medications for reducing inflammation in the bowel, they are a temporary measure but could be good while you heal yourself.

I take thorne brand 1mg/day. If I was going down the supplement route, I'd remove ANY potential gut irritants (no nightshades, dairy, nuts), LOADS of homemade beef stock, fatty red meat, fish, shellfish, vegetables, coconut, fruit and seaweed(seaweed every day) for at least a month. Supplement with glutamine and digestive enzymes, sublingual B12 and good quality probiotics (tell your doctor about all of this).

It's a fricking tough regime, I won't lie, but it's only 30 days and it's basically throwing everything you can at it to be done with it for good.

Get your D levels tested too, to adjust dose, always test, never guess.

I've supplemented with glutamine in the past but have read that it is basically destroyed in the stomach before it can be put to use in the small intestine (just recalling what I read so if that doesn't make sense apologies). Do you know if this is the case or not, or if there are different ways of supplementing with glutamine that are better or worse?

I've supplemented with glutamine in the past but have read that it is basically destroyed in the stomach before it can be put to use in the small intestine (just recalling what I read so if that doesn't make sense apologies). Do you know if this is the case or not, or if there are different ways of supplementing with glutamine that are better or worse?

Ooh, good question, not sure. It does seem to help apparently improve intestinal permeability in critically ill patients:

http://journals.lww.com/ccmjournal/Abstract/2005/05000/Intestinal_permeability_and_systemic_infections_in.35.aspx

It does seem in other trials to improve inflammatory bowel diseases.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Sapsorrow so sorry to hear that you are unwell again, you really thought you had it all sorted when you went paleo!!! Best of luck with the tests, the scope is grand, no bother at all!! Fingers crossed!

Is depression linked to not being able to absorp nutrients?? What are the best vitamins to supplement with??

Thanks!!

Pembily wrote: »
    Sapsorrow so sorry to hear that you are unwell again, you really thought you had it all sorted when you went paleo!!! Best of luck with the tests, the scope is grand, no bother at all!! Fingers crossed!

Is depression linked to not being able to absorp nutrients?? What are the best vitamins to supplement with??

Thanks!!

Thanks Pem :)

Not sure how diredlty it's related to the inability to absorb nutrients,. but it is linked to sub-optimal levels or deficiencies in some, so whether that's the same thing is for you to decide :pac: Magnesium, Omega 3's, Folic acid, B6 and B12 (I think??) are the main ones to watch for!

Renn: Because non-fermented dairy gives me wicked IBS, so I'm only punishing myself :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭teacosy

Just back from seeing my new GP (who I have to say is amazing, most comprehensive assessment I've ever had from a GP) and he reckons my angular stomatitis fundamentally has nothing to do with candida at all. He says it's all down the nutrient deficiency and strongly suspects I am Coeliac. I suffer from depression and panic attacks too and he reckons they along with the IBS and nutrient malabsorption (that causes the angular stomatits) all have the same underlying cause, he just doesn't know what it is yet. He's booked me in for a full bloods, an endoscopy and is testing for an under active thyroid and diabetes too. Bit stunned by it all tbh wasn't expecting it at all. Don't know where to go with my diet now though, he was impressed with my diet and supplementation regime and reckons to keep going with it till we know more and not to go on the anti-candida diet. He reckons I'm anaemic too despite all the meat I eat now. Anyone here had an endoscopy? I'm a bit worried about it, sounds awful :(

Hi
    If you're going for an endoscopy to diagnose Coeliac Disease, be aware that you need to be on a Gluten containing diet for the biopsy to be meaningful. See section 4.2 here for more more.http://www.bsg.org.uk/images/stories/clinical/bsg_coeliac_10.pdf

Teacosy

• Advertisement

teacosy wrote: »
    Hi
    If you're going for an endoscopy to diagnose Coeliac Disease, be aware that you need to be on a Gluten containing diet for the biopsy to be meaningful. See section 4.2 here for more more.http://www.bsg.org.uk/images/stories/clinical/bsg_coeliac_10.pdf

Teacosy

Oh god really? That sounds horrible, not looking forward to working through that aftermath! Thanks for the heads up, will start mental preparations now :)

I will most definitely be going on a gluten binge over the festive period...currently stocking up on the Roses/Toblerones/etc...a week of that will make me appreciate primal even more :)

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Red Cortina

Renn wrote: »
    I will most definitely be going on a gluten binge over the festive period...currently stocking up on the Roses/Toblerones/etc...a week of that will make me appreciate primal even more :)
    Well roses are classed as very low gluten and toblerones are gluten free so your planned gluten binge doesn't look to be going so well!!!!

The gluten is contained in the etc part ;)

But my post was basically to point out that the diet will be all over the place at some stage. Though I've no desire to return to eating pasta/rice...really have a dislike for that food now. Used to eat it the whole time too.

Are maple syrup and honey primal??

Are maple syrup and honey primal??

Technically, the primal diet is very much open to the interpretation of the individual though. Some on MDA use oats all the time as well as copious amounts of honey, maple syrup etc. I wouldn't consider that in keeping with the principles of primal myself.

Great article on the differences between honey and refined sugar here:

http://blog.cholesterol-and-health.com/2010/10/high-fructose-corn-syrup-is-sweet.html

Personally I think a little bit of honey is fine if you have no issues with glucose tolerance. I wouldn't eat it every day but I'd use it before an synthetic artificial sweetener. A tablespoon would be sufficient for a large batch of homemade ice-cream

Just picked up the following at lunch:

Almond flour (1kg) €8.50
    Whole almonds (800g) €7.95
    Cashew nuts (300g) €3.95
    Desiccated coconut (500g) €1.95
    Coconut flour (800g) €4.85
    Coconut chips (125g) €1.20

Still trying to figure out if I got a good deal or not :/

Just checked fitday.com there to see what my daily evening treat (few tbs of natural yogurt, few tbs of double cream, some flaked amonds, some squares of 85% chocolate) works out at:

Calories: 616
    Fat: 51.9g (Saturated 27.6g, Polyunsaturated 1.5g, Monounsaturated 13.4g)
    Carbs: 33.5g
    Protein: 10.8g

Still bit high in carbs for the evening time, isn't it?

• Advertisement

you could change the natural yogurt to greek.

Advertisement