Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Off Topic Thread...

Options

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

I've got a seriously bloated belly.

Going for some sort of procedure next week to determine what the hell is wrong with my strange body. They reckon I could be coeliac so have me eating a serious amount of bread and wheat.

I hate eating bread, I haven't eaten it in over a year.

I've blisters all over my mouth and the thoughts of having another slice is killing me.

UGH!

What? That's awful! I didn't think you needed to eat bread to do the coeliac test at all?? You still have the antibodies regardless AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

What? That's awful! I didn't think you needed to eat bread to do the coeliac test at all?? You still have the antibodies regardless AFAIK.

I think the antibodies say in your system for 6months(could be wrong) but it's really difficult to get a proper diagnoses of coeliac after the antibody test you the go into your small intestine and have a look at your villi then take a bit out and look at them again but if they're not completly ruined you don't have it! It makes no sense, if they're on there way to being nothing but tiny stubs you can eat as much gluten as you want!

*I think that's what I've found out from being online but it might be a bit different in this country I don't know*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

All I know they they are knocking me out and sticking something where the sun don't shine.

I will not be a happy camper.

All I know they they are knocking me out and sticking something where the sun don't shine.

I will not be a happy camper.

Have you already been tested for the antibodies?

I thought they went the other way down your esophagus (dyslexia made me spell that assofigus:o )

Best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Red Cortina

Orla K wrote: »
    I thought they went the other way down your esophagus (dyslexia made me spell that assofigus:o )
    I had both a gastroscopy and a colonoscopy at the same time when I was checked out:o

On another note, is anyone watching Sky Atlantic at the mo? The film 'Temple Grandin' is on;)

• Advertisement

Been to the doc today, I had a blood test in 2008(2009?) my thyroid was over 9 and I wasn't told. I'm fairly sure it went worse than that and hit it's worse in late 2010-early 2011.

We were talking and well I'd done my homework! I starting asking about the conversion t4 to t3, hashimotos, adrenal gland, cortisol, gluten antibodies.

So he said he'd check those out, he told me to eat a 'normal' diet for the gluten test, I don't know if I can and still eat healthy. All I can think of is porridge, some oatcakes.

Gluten and wheat has become such unhealthy things in my head that I'm struggling on how to eat them and be healthy.

Also my toaster hasn't been used for over a year, I've no idea if it still works!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

You maybe interested in getting some supplies from Kelkin as an alternative to porridge,oat cakes etc.

http://www.kelkin.ie/gluten_free.html

Jarren wrote: »
    You maybe interested in getting some supplies from Kelkin as an alternative to porridge,oat cakes etc.

http://www.kelkin.ie/gluten_free.html

The porridge is a fiver for something like a 400g/500g box! I'm not paying that much. And as well as that I'm trying to eat gluten not avoid it, it's for the blood test so you need to be eating gluten to produce the antibodies that they look for. If I stick to gf I could just end up with a false negative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Ok ,I misunderstood your post,sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭meijin

I've blisters all over my mouth and the thoughts of having another slice is killing me.

UGH!

OK, so you know gluten is bad for you... why eating more of it and making yourself even more sick? Just to get official diagnosis? Sorry, but I don't really see any benefit of this process...

• Advertisement

I'd be more comfortable with a doctor diagnosing me than self diagnosis.

It's been moved to Tuesday so I don't have to do it for much longer.

Interesting video about thyroid physiology http://vimeo.com/3927642

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Hi
    What do ye eat for breakfast on non gym days?I go the gym early in the morning and have an omelette when I get home,Just looking for some ideas on what to have on non training days?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I've got a seriously bloated belly.

Going for some sort of procedure next week to determine what the hell is wrong with my strange body. They reckon I could be coeliac so have me eating a serious amount of bread and wheat.

I hate eating bread, I haven't eaten it in over a year.

UGH!

Jeez real sorry to hear that,hope it goes ok for you

Hi
    What do ye eat for breakfast on non gym days?I go the gym early in the morning and have an omelette when I get home,Just looking for some ideas on what to have on non training days?
    I have meat and nuts, every breakfast (I don't train early in the morning).
    http://www.charlespoliquin.com/ArticlesMultimedia/Articles/Article/270/The_Meat_and_Nut_Breakfast.aspx
    http://www.charlespoliquin.com/ArticlesMultimedia/Articles/Article/676/Meat_and_Nuts_Breakfast_A_Scientific_Update.aspx

After training, carbs + protein smoothie.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

meijin wrote: »

That's some tasty breakfast right there. Why not eggs instead of meat though? Does Charlie P. have a reason for that?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Does exercise make you overeat?

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/04/16/does-exercise-make-you-overeat/

This explains a lot of why some people drop a load of weight exercising, but most studies on exercise alone for weight loss end up with meh results. The non-responders drag the average down.

I lose weight from activity alone, but I am a lazy bugger so.. yeah I stick to watching what I eat.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Does exercise make you overeat?

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/04/16/does-exercise-make-you-overeat/

This explains a lot of why some people drop a load of weight exercising, but most studies on exercise alone for weight loss end up with meh results. The non-responders drag the average down.

I lose weight from activity alone, but I am a lazy bugger so.. yeah I stick to watching what I eat.:)

I've started to get this. The heavier my lifts, the more suppressed my appetite is afterwards. I thought it might be a sign of overtraining and that I need to deload but I have none of the other issues associated with overtraining.

That's some tasty breakfast right there. Why not eggs instead of meat though? Does Charlie P. have a reason for that?
    Eggs should also be fine, but maybe not every day? That's a bit boring...

I don't like them too often. 4 scrambled eggs, twice a week, are perfect for me, but not in the morning as it takes too much time. The meat I have cooked in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭confusedgirl

Orla K, have you tried using brown rice as a breakfast cereal instead of oats? I haven't had it but I did see a recipe on youtube about it the other day http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi-aSE2YupU.. The recipe has cooked brown rice in it. That recipe on youtube has maple syrup in it but you could of course leave it out as the cinnamon and vanilla extract and raisins would sweeten it up enough I'm sure. I know you could have millet as a cereal (it's quite nice actually-I had it with rice milk and cinnamon, it's a finer grain than oats but I still enjoyed it) or quinoa instead of oats but they're about the €3-4 mark.

• Advertisement

Orla K wrote: »
    I had both a gastroscopy and a colonoscopy at the same time when I was checked out

Just out. They did both. Came back to the recovery room and they planted two slices of toast down in front of me.
    Get away!

Just out. They did both. Came back to the recovery room and they planted two slices of toast down in front of me.
    Get away!

I can imagine the look you gave whoever brought you the toast.

Get away!
    I remember having brown toast with some flora after mine:pac:

Oh yes I'll have some harsh to digest fiber with some cancer causing oil scraped across my delicate colon please! Just the ticket for a dicky GI tract. :D

I am going to a lunch meeting tomorrow and they will have nothing but sandwiches I know it. (for some reason all meetings with healthcare people at them have the junkiest food)

I'm bringing bananas, oranges, parma ham and mini cheeses on the train with me, but I don't know if that's going to be enough for all day long. Pissed off that I have to choose between starving and feeling sick and bloated all afternoon. Plus once you have been eating butter this long, margarine tastes so strong and horrible by comparison.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Oh yes I'll have some harsh to digest fiber with some cancer causing oil scraped across my delicate colon please! Just the ticket for a dicky GI tract. :D

I am going to a lunch meeting tomorrow and they will have nothing but sandwiches I know it. (for some reason all meetings with healthcare people at them have the junkiest food)

I'm bringing bananas, oranges, parma ham and mini cheeses on the train with me, but I don't know if that's going to be enough for all day long. Pissed off that I have to choose between starving and feeling sick and bloated all afternoon. Plus once you have been eating butter this long, margarine tastes so strong and horrible by comparison.:(

Could eat the sandwiches and pop NOW digestive enzymes if you have them?

They help me a lot. Yeah margarine is disgusting after being eating Kerry Gold

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Jaysus, after I had an endoscope I would have eaten the leg of a scabby child if it was put in front of me. I don't handle fasting well.

I think I had 6 slices of white toast and jam.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

I don't handle fasting well either. And I hate when it is imposed on me at a mandatory catered event too:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

These days I'm only 'skipping' breakfast, not going for 20+ hour fasts. On the other hand, do not have only whey protein and milk as your first meal of the day... I almost died* from hypoglycemia 1 hour after... :o
    I guess it's true, whey + milk elicits a big insulin response...

*slight exaggeration

On my mission to up my gluten intake I bought bagels, just looked at the ingredients and 4th one is wheat gluten they're actually adding extra in! I didn't know what to put on them and ended up trying that philadelphia chocolate cream cheese, it looks like brown plastic and tastes like sugary brown plastic! Had the cream cheese from the limerick market in mind that tasted of what it was cream cheese and chocolate.

I'm also still hungry:(

• Advertisement

That philadelphia chocolate cream cheese is vile.

Go for Nutella next time :)

Advertisement