Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Off Topic Thread...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

My hob on my cooker is broken and I have been craving oat pancakes since the day it broke.

I love them... I may even love them more than regular pancakes.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

rocky wrote: »
    ok, will try that ... assume I have to ask at the meat counter, or do they have it on the shelves? strange I haven't seen it before... then again I try to avoid tesco meat if I can help it.

Yep, just on the shelf, they seem to get in odd things from time to time. Once they had lamb heart, never did get up the courage to try that, supposed to be good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,237 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

I've been looking for something to destroy in cream cheese, Oat pancakes may just be it, I have to try these

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭kate.m

I don't suppose you have a good recipe for oat pancakes? I'd love to try them, but some of the ones I've flicked through online don't sound too healthy!

60g oat
    1 egg
    150ml milk

mix together, leave in the fridge over night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I have just discovered chocolate Philadelphia.. nyom nyom nyom

Might be nice on oat pancakes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

When I was in limerick there was a cheese stall that would sell chocolate cream cheese, it was fantastic(meant for children but to hell with them!) I miss that stall, I love cheese.

Noooo! It's vile.

I had such high hopes. It actually turned me off chocolate... for about 10min :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Orla K wrote: »
    When I was in limerick there was a cheese stall that would sell chocolate cream cheese, it was fantastic(meant for children but to hell with them!) I miss that stall, I love cheese.

I still eat that!

I still eat that!

It's been ages since I was in limerick, I miss that market.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

:eek: Oat pancakes... this is a new phrase to me. Omnomnom!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

kate.m wrote: »
    I don't suppose you have a good recipe for oat pancakes? I'd love to try them, but some of the ones I've flicked through online don't sound too healthy!
    60g oat
    1 egg
    150ml milk

mix together, leave in the fridge over night.

I use 70g oats, 2 small eggs and 100ml milk.

Something that I do that I don't see anybody else doing is oat flour.
    Take the dry oats, and give tham about 20 seconds in a blender. Turns the flakey oats into a course flour. Mix in a bowl with milk and eggs.

It gives a much smoother batter.

Yeh I meant to say I blend the oats first. Not to a consitancy of flour ('cause my blender ain't that good) but I find its not as lumpy then.

I had them for breakfast. So yum.

If I blend the oats do I still have to leave the batter overnight?

Also, would it work with pinhead oatmeal? (I use this for porridge and it's just thicker and more filling than normal oats, requires more cooking the night before too :) )

im trying this tomorrow. Thank you!

I would still leave it over night but its personal preference.

Let us know how you get on.

A quote from Ulysses for St. Patricks day:

"If we could only live on good food like that, we wouldn't have the country full of rotten teeth and rotten guts.

I might make some bacon and cabbage for later..

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Paigne

Does anyone have the nutritional facts for boiled ham, like bacon and cabbage ham or sunday dinner ham, not ham as in denny or bacon as in rashers??

Just pretty much be the same as lean pork I would think, not too far off I'd reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Red Cortina

A quote from Ulysses for St. Patricks day:

"If we could only live on good food like that, we wouldn't have the country full of rotten teeth and rotten guts.

I might make some bacon and cabbage for later..
    I read that in an article earlier on today already! Thought it was very good:)

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I had some oat pancakes this morning for the first time - they're divine! Had honey and natural yoghurt with them... omnomnom!

I would still leave it over night but its personal preference.

Let us know how you get on.

I loved the oatcakes! My family enjoyed them too. I made two batters (one was that pinhead oatmeal - didn't work as well as the second batch in which I used this other type of oat, the label had been removed so I don't remember the name)

Thanks a lot for the recipe! Delicious with fruit/yogurt. It's probably going to be a daily meal for me. :)

I loved the oatcakes! My family enjoyed them too. I made two batters (one was that pinhead oatmeal - didn't work as well as the second batch in which I used this other type of oat, the label had been removed so I don't remember the name)

Thanks a lot for the recipe! Delicious with fruit/yogurt. It's probably going to be a daily meal for me. :)

I love regular porridge and I've been eating it daily for almost 2 years now. I'm pre-empting being sick of it though and that's why I tried out the pancakes. They are so delicious.

I have mine with lemon, truvia and butter.

Just read this
    There may be flaws in much of the research done to ascertain WHY high saturated fat diets are related to CHD but there has been no sound evidence to suggest that high saturated fat consumption is not related to CHD.
    Someone posted it on a comment section, cant seem to get my head around how/what way they think.

Was that a double negative? Is there evidence? Well, there is not not evidence..What??

In other news I gave blood today. I felt woozy. Had to have a major sugar dose afterwards to stabilise. This better contribute to saving someone's life to be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

one was that pinhead oatmeal
    Pinhead oats are just chopped up oats, very little processing. The rolled oats are actually steamed as well as rolled, so they readily absorb moisture and are not as hard as the pinheads. The only way I could see pinheads working would be soaking them very well and liquidising them. You can get normal oat flakes and liquidise up a big batch while dry and store it like flour, some shops have oat flour too.
    Orla K wrote: »
    but there has been no sound evidence to suggest that high saturated fat consumption is not related to CHD.
    Reminds me of anti-cannabis arguments, trying to prove a negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭meijin

Yesterday I've finally decided to measure how much I eat and entered everything into myfitnesspal

Calories 3,421 :eek:
    Protein 180g (a bit higher than planned 2g/kg)
    Fat 251g :eek: (meat, fish, nuts, seeds, olives, avocado)
    Carbs 132g
    Sugar 50g (mostly from two apples)

Current weight 76 kg, BF ~10%. The site told me "You'd weigh 81.8 kg in 5 weeks" :eek: But I'm eating similar way since weeks and my weight is quite stable around 76kg :confused: Not too sure what to think about it...

rubadub wrote: »
    Pinhead oats are just chopped up oats, very little processing. The rolled oats are actually steamed as well as rolled, so they readily absorb moisture and are not as hard as the pinheads. The only way I could see pinheads working would be soaking them very well and liquidising them. You can get normal oat flakes and liquidise up a big batch while dry and store it like flour, some shops have oat flour too.

When I have it as porridge I just cook it for a few minutes (5-10) the night before and leave it over night. Would have to do something similar if using them in oatcakes I imaging. I might try when I run out of the stuff I'm currently using.

• Advertisement

meijin wrote: »

Current weight 76 kg, BF ~10%. The site told me "You'd weigh 81.8 kg in 5 weeks" :eek: But I'm eating similar way since weeks and my weight is quite stable around 76kg :confused: Not too sure what to think about it...

Ah don't believe what that it tells you you'll be in 5 weeks. It's a load of horse shi!T. Told me once I'd be <100lbs once. :D
    rubadub wrote: »
    You can get normal oat flakes and liquidise up a big batch while dry and store it like flour, some shops have oat flour too.

Where have you seen oat flour? Would save me a lot of moaning (about rooting out the blender which is convienently stored at the back of a press) if I could buy some.

Advertisement