Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Off Topic Thread...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

i ****ing loved it - expensive but niiice
    They are amazing. Haven't had one for a while.

I've a raw brownie that's 200kcal for 50g.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Katgurl

she came back to me, the coconut slice is: Energy 2020kJ/ 486kcal, Protein 7.53g, Fat 32.5g

I think next time I'll have to take it home divide into quarters and wrap in tinfoil so I don't ram huge portion of my daily cals down my throat on a whim.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭rememberthis

Can anyone tell me what the Quorn range is like? I am a BIG meat eater, love my meat, so changing to Quorn might be a shock for me. Does anyone recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

Can anyone tell me what the Quorn range is like? I am a BIG meat eater, love my meat, so changing to Quorn might be a shock for me. Does anyone recommend?

Meat is healthy as long as it's not processed meat or covered in crap food.
    Wouldn't be bothered with quorn, I'm wary of it's supposed healthiness, it's pricy and tastes crap

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Don't give up your meat if you'll feel deprived, cut back if you think you're over doing it and add quorn into your diet if you wish I find it easier to use as I don't have to defrost it.

Quorn is still quite processed though, I would be more worried about the hormones and antibiotics fed to animals for consuming than anything used in the process of making Quorn. I personally cut down on meat I eat it once a week or every ywo weeks because I don't need it everyday and I am wary of the health implications/ethics of how the industry operates. Quorn is cheaper than lean meat and it stops me eating high carb foods, I like the fact that I can microwave it in a few seconds and I don't have to worry about food poisoning or contamination/leaving it in my lunch box for too long. It's filling and doesn't have that iron/fleshy taste that some meat has but still tastes like meat.

Now I'm not sure what benefits you think you'll get from the meat substitute, my main reasons for eating it is cost, concerns about risks of eating meat over ride my suspicions about how quorn is produced, less hassle..
    Lean meat is better for nutritional reasons but I can't afford enough quality meat to eat and don't really like meat that much but I use quorn to bulk up veg dishes or to have as a snack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Is there a Frank's thread? there needs to be

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

saa wrote: »
    Don't give up your meat if you'll feel deprived, cut back if you think you're over doing it and add quorn into your diet if you wish I find it easier to use as I don't have to defrost it.

Quorn is still quite processed though, I would be more worried about the hormones and antibiotics fed to animals for consuming than anything used in the process of making Quorn. I personally cut down on meat I eat it once a week or every ywo weeks because I don't need it everyday and I am wary of the health implications/ethics of how the industry operates. Quorn is cheaper than lean meat and it stops me eating high carb foods, I like the fact that I can microwave it in a few seconds and I don't have to worry about food poisoning or contamination/leaving it in my lunch box for too long. It's filling and doesn't have that iron/fleshy taste that some meat has but still tastes like meat.

Now I'm not sure what benefits you think you'll get from the meat substitute, my main reasons for eating it is cost, concerns about risks of eating meat over ride my suspicions about how quorn is produced, less hassle..
    Lean meat is better for nutritional reasons but I can't afford enough quality meat to eat and don't really like meat that much but I use quorn to bulk up veg dishes or to have as a snack.

MOST meat here is superior in quality to that in the like of US, especially when it comes to beef so concerns about anti biotics and hormones aren't an issue like they would be for meat in the US

• Registered Users Posts: 39,079 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

There is, its under the name of Elephant and Castle wings or something similar

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

MOST meat here is superior in quality to that in the like of US, especially when it comes to beef so concerns about anti biotics and hormones aren't an issue like they would be for meat in the US

Not only is the meat here crap and hormone filled, beef is TWICE the price.

It's killing me.

Now I can get organic, grass fed beef around the corner but that is 4 times the price of beef in Ireland.

I've been doing a lot of chicken and pork.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

It's killing me.

Now I can get organic, grass fed beef around the corner but that is 4 times the price of beef in Ireland.

Where are you?

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

It's killing me.

Chicken and pork in the US are worse I thought? Unless you're talking bout organic?

We are so lucky in this country, just polished off some lovely lamb shoulder chops..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

On facebook the gym I go to posted something up about sugar in drinks, I mostly ignored it till I saw it had a few comments. One of the comments said something about needing sugar to live, I couldn't keep my silent I made sure I was nice about it and asked him wtf he was on about that he needed to explain that a bit more and said something about ketogentic diets and epileptic children (obvious example)

The entire thing has been deleted obviously by the gym. Then I remembered one of the guys working in there going on about his 'detox' which just seemed to be strict paleo and I was curious about his carbs because he does alot in the gym I figured he could eat alot of carbs so I asked him about it being keto diet. He paused (he's one of these non stop talkers) I figured out his eye movements when he's trying to think/remember:D(always useful!) then he looked me in the eye and started telling me how bad keto diets were and the only thing I remember him saying is it doesn't drop fat but it does drop muscle.

Now all I have to figure out is why is the place so dead set against ketogenic diets.

I should add that there's only one gym in the town, there might be one at hotel but its a hotel gym and the hotel went bust.
    Anyone want to open a proper gym in a crap town?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Today I discovered macademia nut butter.

OMG

Have to make this 170g jar last at least 2 weeks though - the calories obv and the price is like crazy!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

haagen dazs used to do macadamia nut brittle flavour. oh man.

i better not go near that butter...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

bluewolf wrote: »
    haagen dazs used to do macadamia nut brittle flavour. oh man.

i better not go near that butter...

I hate you both.

now I have a craving for the peanut butter ice cream I put back on the shelf in M&S :(

IBS definitively linked to SIBO:

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2012-05-physicians-definitively-links-bowel-syndrome.html

I've suspected this for a while, but it's interesting to see definitive evidence at last. Pity the specific methane test is so hard to get in this country.

More and more I think Paleo has become a religion/cult

More and more I think Paleo has become a religion/cult

Any person who struggles with their weight for years and years and then finds something that works will be pretty darned excited about it.

Far worse things to be over-zealous about so I say let them have at it.

The community in paleo is also really strong, there's something definitely attractive about that. I make a point of reading lots of blogs that I disagree with to keep me honest!

Haven't been reading much round here lately, did I miss something that prompted the thought?

Any person who struggles with their weight for years and years and then finds something that works will be pretty darned excited about it.

Far worse things to be over-zealous about so I say let them have at it.

The community in paleo is also really strong, there's something definitely attractive about that. I make a point of reading lots of blogs that I disagree with to keep me honest!

Haven't been reading much round here lately, did I miss something that prompted the thought?

No not here tbh. But out on the wild internets there is some crazies. I don't know if its the diet or they just want to be apart of something and be special.

I haven't decided which is worse, Bodybuilding Broscience or Paleo fanatics. Maybe reading Lyle McDonald and Alan Aragon a lot lately has me bitter.

No not here tbh. But out on the wild internets there is some crazies. I don't know if its the diet or they just want to be apart of something and be special.

I haven't decided which is worse, Bodybuilding Broscience or Paleo fanatics. Maybe reading Lyle McDonald and Alan Aragon a lot lately has me bitter.

Don't go on too many other paleo forums, just seems to descend into extreme orthorexia and neurotism. Did venture into r/paleo. Once.:pac:

I like both of their stuff but they don't have all the answers either, in fact Alan seems more adept at critiquing others attempts at answers (and in nutrition science they are all attempts) than providing viable ones of his own.

• Advertisement

This is priceless!

Fecking hate Bill O'Reilly on general principle but check out this video:

http://video.foxnews.com/v/1675363099001 (Skip to 1:48)

Don't go on too many other paleo forums, just seems to descend into extreme orthorexia and neurotism. Did venture into r/paleo. Once.:pac:

I like both of their stuff but they don't have all the answers either, in fact Alan seems more adept at critiquing others attempts at answers (and in nutrition science they are all attempts) than providing viable ones of his own.

True. Lyle is an awesome troll though.

These are the nuts I was on about :D

That's the media though, they'll always go for the most extreme angle.

I can almost hear the producer say, 'Oh yeah, and if you could eat the steak raw in the park that would be great!'

Melissa McEwen wrote an article about how the media treated her:

http://huntgatherlove.com/content/invisible-woman

That's the media though, they'll always go for the most extreme angle.

I can almost hear the producer say, 'Oh yeah, and if you could eat the steak raw in the park that would be great!'

Melissa McEwen wrote an article about how the media treated her:

http://huntgatherlove.com/content/invisible-woman

It's funny as hell though. I was thinking he is complaining about antibiotics and hormones then eats a raw steak without knowing what could be on the surface.

It's funny as hell though. I was thinking he is complaining about antibiotics and hormones then eats a raw steak without knowing what could be on the surface.

Some people prefer acute to chronic risk though.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I see one of the irish homebrew shops has kombucha and yoghurt & cheese making stuff

http://www.homebrewwest.ie/cheese-and-yoghurt-making-87-c.asp

Quest bars in Apple Pie flavour have to be the best protein bars around

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

This was up on reddit:

66BAg.jpg

Right: Margarine. Left: Reduced fat margarine. Bottom: Butter.

Even ants know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

Had a chat with a female friend yesterday and she mentioned a curious situation.

She had a strep throat infection and during the antibiotics course of 7 days (claritromycin I think) she started getting better and better mentally. Nothing extraordinary, just from a state of continuous low mental stress (her words, she had this before the strep throat) to lots more energy and no perceived stress. 3 weeks after finishing A/B, the low stress reappeared.

Presumably some bacterial overgrowth (in addition to the strep) was being killed off and came back after the A/B left the system? She was wondering what tests could she have the doctor perform to detect them? Or is there another explanation?

Advertisement