Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Off Topic Thread...

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Ah don't believe what that it tells you you'll be in 5 weeks. It's a load of horse shi!T. Told me once I'd be <100lbs once. :D

Where have you seen oat flour? Would save me a lot of moaning (about rooting out the blender which is convienently stored at the back of a press) if I could buy some.

myprotein.co.uk and bulkpowders both sell it as far as I know.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Just to counter that RED MEAT WILL KILL YOU with a probably equally worthless study:

Red meat cuts risk of depression:
    http://gizmodo.com/5895227/scientific-proof-that-red-meat-makes-you-happy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

Just to counter that RED MEAT WILL KILL YOU with a probably equally worthless study:

From personal experience fat (not veg oil) really helps with depression.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Steak certainly makes me happy. Even shopping for red meat cheers me up if I'm in a funk.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

A picture paints a thousand words...

1245708693-3642661392_5801c3b218.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

meijin wrote: »
    Current weight 76 kg, BF ~10%. The site told me "You'd weigh 81.8 kg in 5 weeks" :eek: But I'm eating similar way since weeks and my weight is quite stable around 76kg :confused: Not too sure what to think about it...

You have to take some of what MFP tells you with a pinch of salt. It's really good for guidance, but that's all it is. I quite enjoy the social aspect of it too though as I find that people around me don't wanna hear me go on and on about my little healthy-eating rants, so I can do it there to people who might actually listen :D The success stories are great for when you're lacking motivation too.

Bananas seem to help reduce bloating and improve gut bacteria in a cohort of women:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21524710

I've read about this somewhere on boards but I've no idea where

http://www.sup.nl/petition/en.php

What's this new legislation there on about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Orla K wrote: »
    I've read about this somewhere on boards but I've no idea where

http://www.sup.nl/petition/en.php

What's this new legislation there on about?

It's already come into effect in UK.

If I remember correctly, you can't sell a product with claims if you don't have studies to back them up. Stuff like Tribulus being sold as test booster was an example. If you have studies to back up the claims, you may have to get a license to sell it.

Bet that won't affect flora's ridiculous health claims.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

IMG_2084.JPG

You've just reminded me I have bone marrow in my freezer that's been there months. It's probably gone off now.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,237 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

rocky wrote: »
    IMG_2084.JPG

Jesus, i'm drenched in drool

IMG_2090.JPG

:(

The
    secret
    is to let it simmer for 2.5-3 hours until meat, marrow and fat can be sucked off the bone in one go .

hungry+smiley.gif

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

You've just reminded me I have bone marrow in my freezer that's been there months. It's probably gone off now.:(

I wouldn't think so.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

What is that rocky (first pic). Doesn't look appealing at all to me. Might change if I know what it is.
    (I had to like the picture through a proxy to view, so i assume it meant to be the meat in a green liquid)

Ox tail soup :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Where have you seen oat flour?

I have only seen it on myprotein as Hanley already mentioned, but a reply from 2009
    Macha wrote: »
    I have found oat flour in Down To Earth on Georges St (it's just down from Yamamori).

This is dublin city centre.

So I was talking to someone today who does applied kinesiology (yeah, I got done with vitamin testing, it was free/charity) apparently I need magnesium and a strong antioxidant/detox(hate that word! and damn you ben and jerry! I had a clean diet before you brought out your core flavours) but I was talking to her for absolutely ages, she told me I should get into a career in a health area(she knows I've no job at the moment)

It was one of the more interesting conversations I've had in ages, mostly because if I start talking about IT bands people I know think I'm talking about computers and if I talk about flora being bad for you and real butter being good people just look at me as they spread flora on their bread. It was nice to talk to someone who ate real food even if I didn't completly agree with them, at least they understood where I was coming from.

I also bought cacao nibs(before she said about the antioxidants) I'm just eating them from the pack:o I've mince in the fridge gonna do a chilli tomorrow and add some in. Also going to make transforms bars and add them in. Got a free sample of solgar 'whey to go' too, 34g serving 127kcal 20g protein, 10g of carbs, 9g of them is sugar, I'll stick to myprotein.

I've also bought rhubarb and I've no idea what to do with it that doesn't involve loads of sugar. Was thinking of baking it with berries and doing a crumble with rice flour and coconut :confused:

Also bought fenugreek seeds, don't know what to do with them either but I've come across lots of recipes with it.

• Advertisement

http://www.newswise.com/articles/new-evidence-on-effects-of-green-coffee-beans-in-weight-loss
    Participants lost an average of 17 pounds during the 22 weeks of the study. It included an average of a 10.5 percent decrease in overall body weight and a 16 percent decrease in body fat. Vinson noted that weight loss might have been significantly faster, except that participants received the placebo and the lower dose of green coffee extract for part of the study period.

Really impressive weight loss, like seriously, this thing outperforms amphetamines. Bet you a tenner it causes liver damage of some sort.

55604.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

http://www.newswise.com/articles/new-evidence-on-effects-of-green-coffee-beans-in-weight-loss

Really impressive weight loss, like seriously, this thing outperforms amphetamines. Bet you a tenner it causes liver damage of some sort.
    Impressive weight loss? Not really

They were still following a calorie controlled diet. They lost 17 lbs over 22 weeks. There's no reason that couldn't be down to diet alone. They also didn't have a control group, which would be the real indicator here.

The study was made up of three random 6 week phases. If the weeks on high dose green coffee extract showed double the weight loss accross the board then fair enough it works. But on he data above, I don't see anything to suggest its effective.

Mellor wrote: »
    Impressive weight loss? Not really

They were still following a calorie controlled diet. They lost 17 lbs over 22 weeks. There's no reason that couldn't be down to diet alone. They also didn't have a control group, which would be the real indicator here.

The study was made up of three random 6 week phases. If the weeks on high dose green coffee extract showed double the weight loss accross the board then fair enough it works. But on he data above, I don't see anything to suggest its effective.

I don't know if you read many weight loss drug trials but that's up with the best losses I've seen. Don't forget the 17lb is an average, so there's always some non-compliant people dragging the average down. Pfizer would be kicking their heels at such a result. If you got 16 people in a room you'd have to basically watch them like hawks to make them lose that much on average. Just because it is possible to do it with diet alone, doesn't change the fact that to get this out of 16 people on average is a remarkable result.

Plus there was a control group, it was a crossover design with washout periods so that the intervention groups effectively formed the controls when given a placebo, it's an oft abused study design but I think in this case it was appropriate. I would be interested to see what the difference between weeks was but we'll have to wait for the paper to be published for that.

I've ditched melatonin for causing mild depression, all the articles I've read online say that "studies" found no link between them, but 99% of the comments to these article were from people that had an adverse effect. Scientific studies > anecdotal evidence? not in this case :)

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭kate.m

I had a croissant and a slice of french bread yesterday after cutting them (and other such food...) out of my diet for a few weeks.

I got the worst stomach pains/cramps ive had in a while soon after...note to self: avoid. :(

rocky wrote: »
    I've ditched melatonin for causing mild depression, all the articles I've read online say that "studies" found no link between them, but 99% of the comments to these article were from people that had an adverse effect. Scientific studies > anecdotal evidence? not in this case :)

I believe you. I tried melatonin, made me sooo groggy the next day. The I reminded myself it was a hormone and your body puts a huge amount of effort into keeping hormones balanced for probably very good reasons. Hormonal imbalance leads to cancer in some cases. People who worked constant night shifts for KLM successfully sued stating that it was a direct contributor to their breast cancer. Melatonin and oestrogen are tightly linked so I think it makes plausible biological sense.

There are negative trials for melatonin I came across somewhere, plus a bunch of anecdotal stories of weight gain and depression. Melatonin is not as well studied as it should be.

I think there's good reason for the fact that it's prescription only in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I've replaced olive oil with coconut oil for all my frying needs.

I keep getting a whif of coconut off myself now. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I was in Dunnes and they sell sweet potatoes that you microwave in the bag for 29c. Handy for work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

No way. Gonna pick me up some of them. I bloody hate pealing them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

Orla K wrote: »

I've also bought rhubarb and I've no idea what to do with it that doesn't involve loads of sugar. Was thinking of baking it with berries and doing a crumble with rice flour and coconut :confused:

My recipe can be adapted to your fresh I'm sure :)

Rhubarb & Strawberry Crumble (Sugar & wheat free)
    In a microwave/ovenproof baking dish mix equal quantities of frozen strawberries & frozen rhubarb. Microwave on high for 10 mins so the fruit is cooked through. In a saucepan mellt hallf a tablespoon of coconut oil, stir in equal quantities (approx 1 cup measure) of ground almonds, walnut pieces, and dessicated coconut. Spread the mix over the fruit and bake at gas 4 for about 20 mins until top is golden

Advertisement