Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oat pancakes Vs Porridge - are they much worse?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

I made these this morning. Yummiest breakfast I've had for ages.

I used 35g of oats
    Some combination flour (just eyeballed it, didn't measure)
    Enough milk to make a thickish batter

That made 6 small thickish pancakes. I didn't soak the oats (I used the microwavable ones) and it turned out fine.

We had three each and had lots of strawberries and blueberries with them. Delicious!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I tried these today and they weren't bad - they were a little dry, though. I think it might be the way I blended them that caused that, though... perhaps more egg might have helped too.

On their own they tasted a bit... well.. like porridge! But that's not necessarily a bad thing and with a little bit of honey in the mix they pretty much tasted like normal pancakes.

Cheers for the idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 bef

what a great idea! have to eat porridge every morning (due to a health condition -and no its not constipation-ha even though its good for that too! cant wait to try these,thanks.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭PrettyInPunk

I dont have a blender so when you do it without a blender do you soak it in milk overnight or what??

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I dont have a blender so when you do it without a blender do you soak it in milk overnight or what??
    Yes, I have done that before, left in a bowl in the fridge. I would make them quite a thick batter though, otherwise you will dump it out and have oats in the middle and liquid running to the sides.

If you have access to a blender at any time, you can liquidise the a lot of dry oats up to make a flour and just store it until needed. I have never found oat flour in shops here, if anybody knows where to get it let me know.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

I have found oat flour in Down To Earth on Georges St (it's just down from Yamamori).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭JG009

Bump - I tried a bit of cauliflower in Kannies pancake recepie today. I hate the stuff but you cant even taste it in these.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,331 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

joepenguin wrote: »
    Hi guys, great idea and sound delicious! Gonna give it a go.

So would this work:

60g oats
    100 ml milk
    1 egg

Had a go at making that yesterday,didn't go very well,was pretty much liquid when i was mixing it,had to add alot of flour
    Think I'll have to try a different combination next time

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I was gonna bump this yesterday. I have refined my own recipe to what I consider the point of perfection. It now stands at:

100g oats
    20g whey
    130g cottage cheese (sounds rank, but actually really enhances the texture)
    5-7g psyllium husks
    add water to bring it up to just below the 500ml volume mark, mix or blend.

Next morning add two eggs and blend that sucker up.

Makes 8 small, thick pancakes that weigh in under 100 calories each (I fry them without oil on a non-stick pan at a low - medium heat). I usually add some butter and jam and a mug of high quality coffee. Nyom.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

Khannie wrote: »
    I was gonna bump this yesterday. I have refined my own recipe to what I consider the point of perfection. It now stands at:

100g oats
    20g whey
    130g cottage cheese (sounds rank, but actually really enhances the texture)
    5-7g psyllium husks
    add water to bring it up to just below the 500ml volume mark, mix or blend.

Next morning add two eggs and blend that sucker up.

Makes 8 small, thick pancakes that weigh in under 100 calories each (I fry them without oil on a non-stick pan at a low - medium heat). I usually add some butter and jam and a mug of high quality coffee. Nyom.

Must try these, they sound nice.

Can I ask where you get the psyllium husks please?

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

I got a bag of them in the health food shop (back when I was stoopid enough to do Celebrity Slim :rolleyes:)

Can I ask are these kid-friendly taste wise? nutritionally? Will my 3 year old bulk up??;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

B-Builder wrote: »
    Must try these, they sound nice.

Can I ask where you get the psyllium husks please?

They're legend. Highly recommended as a good way to start your day.

I get my psyllium husks in the local supermarket in their health food section. Any health food store should have them. myprotein stock them too. They really thicken things up. Save you adding a lot of carbs to achieve the same thickness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

Khannie wrote: »
    They're legend. Highly recommended as a good way to start your day.

I get my psyllium husks in the local supermarket in their health food section. Any health food store should have them. myprotein stock them too. They really thicken things up. Save you adding a lot of carbs to achieve the same thickness.

Cheers for that. I low carbing it and there will be more than enough carbs with the oats.

Will have a look for the husks when shopping on Saturday.

Best Regards,

M

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭TheZ

psyllium husks in most health food stores
    but a lot cheaper on myprotein.co.uk
    usually mix it in with whey drink

save you a fortune in loo roll:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

holly carp.

just finished a big plate of these - whoo hoo !
    they are fab ! thanks a mill for the brilliant idea !

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭optimistic_

In the name of the Father, The Spirit, and The Holy Carp, Amen.

But seriously, will be having these this sunday morning before the gym :)

Gotta make sure to buy blueberries though. Love blueberries.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭optimistic_

MAde some off these ysterday, wow.

Drizzled a small bit of honey over them, and my God that was tasty. Had them after teh gym though instead of before. That will be one of my weekly treats! Must make them for herself soon.

Oh i made them with 1 egg, about 40g of oats blended and about 80 to 100ml of milk. Fried in a drizzle of olive oil. pushed the blueberries into the pancakes just as they were almost done. Then flipped to cook the blueberries through. Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭baz15

Made pancakes today for the first time with
    1 cup organic oats
    1/2 cup ready brek
    1 cup low fat milk
    2 eggs
    spoon of sugar

The pancakes were delicious with a little honey, but I was just wondering is there any other flavour I could put on them to make them taste better plain.
    Maybe 2 eggs is too many?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

Oooh lads! These sound delish going to give them a try tomorrow morning........ I love the texture of oats and don't have a blender so think will try make nice thick ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

This thread always deserves the occasional bump, rubadub. :)

I love these pancakes.

I just made a delicious fluffy batch using the basic recipe with a few bits added:

60g oats
    100ml whole milk
    1 egg
    0.5 tsp cinnamon
    0.5 tsp baking powder
    Pinch salt
    Few drops white wine vinegar (in lieu of lemon juice)
    Handful golden sultanas

I tripled these ingredients (minus the vinegar and sultanas) and blended it all together in the food processor. I then stirred in the vinegar and cooked the pancakes on a flat cast iron griddle with a small amount of butter.

I poured on the batter for each pancake, then dropped a few sultanas on each pancake, and when bubbles rose, flipped.

This made breakfast for two people for two mornings, with three hefty pancakes per person per brekkie.

Planing to pop them in the toaster again tomorrow and top with a little butter and raspberry jam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Just incase any non-bakers are wondering if you have gone mad adding vinegar!

Acid is required to react with the baking soda (a base), which gives off carbon dioxide gas which causes them to go fluffy. It is similar to yeast in bread. The acid could be added in the form of lemon juice, buttermilk, vinegar or citric acid. You can get citric acid in asian shops for making sweet & sour stuff, its the same harsh stuff you get on sour sweets.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I had them this morning, soooo nice! :)
    A nice alteration to my normal breakfast of porridge and a poached egg.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

What are these like for low carbing? I'm not too strict but would 60-100g of oats once a day before gym or for breakfast cause weight gain? I'm dying to try these, even as a treat :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

dorgasm wrote: »
    What are these like for low carbing? I'm not too strict but would 60-100g of oats once a day before gym or for breakfast cause weight gain? I'm dying to try these, even as a treat :)

What would the rest of your day be like?

There's a couple variations but mostly..

Breakfast:
    Eggs w/ spinach and tomato microwaved
    29g Whey (I use milk if I will be going to the gym soon after)
    1/2 tbsp peanut/almond butter

Lunch:
    100g mackerel w/ olive oil or else 1 chicken breast w/ mayo
    Salad with spinach, lettuce, tomato, cucmber and cheese
    Sometimes will have a boiled egg or two

Dinner:
    Turkey/Chicken/Salmon/Some sort of fish/Steak or meatballs on the odd occasion
    Carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, peas, potato
    I'd have some olive oil or spices like paprika with these

Snacks:
    Banana between breakfast and lunch
    29g Whey after gym
    If I feel hungry, I'll have some cashews or almonds or else a tbsp almond/peanut butter

As you can see, I'm not very strict, I'm not looking to go into ketosis. I just don't want to stall weight loss. I do feel a bit drained but I put this down to the years of heavy carb eating previous to the past 6 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Have them once a week and see how you get on.

Your diet is similar enough to mine and it hasn't stalled my weight loss.

Yeah I might just do that, thanks. I'll have them before the gym so at least the extra carbs are put to use. My loss is slowing down a great deal in recent times, hard to put a finger on it. I'm thinking of switching out mackerel for tuna, I'd already have done this but mackerel is cheaper :P I'm overdoing the fats a lot of days purely from the mackerel. Also, although I have my macros set up 20/40/40, I never really hit my carbs target.

Lazy brunch today. :)

2q1cakk.jpg

epor9z.jpg

I have realised that the finer you grind the oats, the lighter and better the pancakes. I grind the oats for a couple of minutes first in the food processor and then add the rest of the ingredients bit by bit. Delighted with the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Finally got around to making these.

I did this:
    60g oats
    100ml whole milk
    1 egg
    0.5 tsp cinnamon
    0.5 tsp baking powder
    Pinch salt
    Few drops white wine vinegar (in lieu of lemon juice)
    Handful golden sultanas

I tripled these ingredients (minus the vinegar and sultanas) and blended it all together in the food processor. I then stirred in the vinegar and cooked the pancakes on a flat cast iron griddle with a small amount of butter.

I poured on the batter for each pancake, then dropped a few sultanas on each pancake, and when bubbles rose, flipped.

But it looked too wet, so I added 3 spoons of wholemeal flour, I shouldn't! They looked fine but after 10 mins the mixture got dry.

I also added 2 desert spoons of vanilla whey powder for protein, that worked well, not sure if it was this that made them dry too.

Next time, for a big batch for the fridge, I'll do:

180g Oats (whized in the processor till it looks like rough flour)
    300ml milk
    3 eggs
    1 spoon vanilla whey powder
    .5 tsp baking powder
    pinch salt
    few drops of lemon juice before I cook them.

I think I'll leave the mixture in the fridge tonight to see if it softens the oats. The ones I made today are like pancakes with a slight crunch.

• Advertisement

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    180g Oats (whized in the processor till it looks like rough flour)
    300ml milk
    3 eggs
    1 spoon vanilla whey powder
    .5 tsp baking powder
    pinch salt
    few drops of lemon juice before I cook them.

I think I'll leave the mixture in the fridge tonight to see if it softens the oats. The ones I made today are like pancakes with a slight crunch.

I would make that 1.5tsp of baking powder and a teaspoon of lemon juice. The batter is usually runny alright, but it reacts with the heat of the pan and they swell and become thick and fluffy.

I bought oat flour today which was crazy expensive, and I am curious to see if they taste any better than grinding the oats roughly myself at home.

Advertisement