Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Off Topic Thread...

Options

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

This thread needs to be stickied! Tired of searching for it.

Anyhoo so it turns out I might be allergic to eggs..

Yep, had an incredibly dodgy stomach for weeks and weeks. Pared my diet back to rice, bananas and.. eggs. Didn't get any better, thought I had a bug/parasite/curse or something. Stopped eating eggs, voila, no more tummy trouble. Ate eggs again.. bad things happen.

WTF? How can you just become allergic to something suddenly like that? I'm really hoping I can do some healing protocol and be able to eat eggs sometime again, I love eggs, they're such a staple for me. I'm going to have to eat more liver now to get my choline. Blerg.

:(:(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Red Cortina

Jeez, no eggs:confused: I would be seriously peed off if that were me:mad:

Hope you are feeling better soon...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

That's a bummer.

Liver is not that bad though :)

I hate liver and struggle to include in my diet:(

Its the pure convenience of eggs though that I would miss...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I would try duck eggs, I heard some might be OK with them. I think overcooking helps too.

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    I would try duck eggs, I heard some might be OK with them. I think overcooking helps too.

Might do in a few months. At the moment I'm still a little delicate so sticking with rice, potatoes and meat for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Frogdog wrote: »
    Had mashed broccolli with butter as part of my dinner tonight, never tried it before.

My God, it was like heaven in my mouth!!! :D

I must try this, tried mashed cauliflower recently, not so bad!

Also, any ideas on a decent filling breakfast? Had some porridge this morning with a dash of vanilla extract and cinnamon and was starving again after two hours.

Finding it hard to stomach scrambled eggs at the moment, I go through phases of being "egged out" after having eaten them most day for a few weeks :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

This thread needs to be stickied! Tired of searching for it.

Done ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

V

Also, any ideas on a decent filling breakfast? Had some porridge this morning with a dash of vanilla extract and cinnamon and was starving again after two hours.

I have 2-3 scoops of porridge, 1 scoop whey protein (either vanilla or banana, some seeds and some honey.
    Keeps me going for a good while.

Fella in the beer forum was looking for peanut butter beer

2937335068_313cc971fc.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

I thought this was a bit strange. I was talking to someone today I mentioned that I'm dehydrated because I'm not taking in enough salt. She was surprised that this could happen and starting saying that she doesn't get as much sugar as she needs, I sat there with my mouth open, I asked why she thought she did get enough in and it was because her energy drops throughout the day. I have no idea where this bit of information came from, wasn't entirely sure what to say to go into the kitchen and point out all the food with sugar that she eats.

It's both sad and funny that people would think they need sugar.

Orla K wrote: »
    I thought this was a bit strange. I was talking to someone today I mentioned that I'm dehydrated because I'm not taking in enough salt.
    Sometimes I have been taking drinks of baking soda mixed with water while drinking beer. It was to neutralise the acid mainly but when it neutralises the baking soda would turn to salt and so I imagine it would counteract the diuretic effect of the booze and so keep me hydrated a bit better. Dunno if studies have been done on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

Sometimes I have been taking drinks of baking soda mixed with water while drinking beer. It was to neutralise the acid mainly but when it neutralises the baking soda would turn to salt and so I imagine it would counteract the diuretic effect of the booze and so keep me hydrated a bit better. Dunno if studies have been done on this.

That sounds horrible, I think I should just make an effort to put salt on my food, even though I don't like it, I do need some salt in my diet. I've just been forgetting to do it the past while. I took a dioralyte to kick myself out of most of it but went for a cycle today which didn't help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Quick question...

Anyone here ever put raw oats into a shaker cup with a scoop of protein powder? If so, do you have to blend them in a blender or is it fine in the shaker cup?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Here's an academic challenge I found myself mulling over at lunchtime today - what is the least worst "food" item, in terms of nutrition, on the McDonald's Eurosaver menu?

My guess was the plain hamburger. I mean, theoretically there's some kind of meat in there somewhere. Once. Almost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Double Cheesebuger...

Twice the amount of almost meat and some yellow.

Yellow is an essential and oft overlooked micronutrient.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

There's almost certainly a Coldplay joke in there somewhere, and yet I just can't seem to find it.

I read EileenG here gets the burgers and throws out the buns.
    Double cheeseburger is €2 which is the same as the 2 burgers, but you do get that delicious yellow gunk.

The burgers are listed at 100% beef

http://www.mcdonalds.ie/Our-Food/Ingredients-Listing.aspx?p=Hamburger

Chicken nuggets and pick off the coating might be another option. Not sure if they are 100% "breast".

I would have thought with all the low carb trends about that the fastfood places would have brought out some options.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Beffy

Got a flyer in the door for Gourmet Burger Bar. On the menu they had a bun free option with added salad. Seems they might be twigging it, slowly.

Double Cheesebuger...

Yellow is an essential and oft overlooked micronutrient.
    I lol'd:D
    Beffy wrote: »
    Got a flyer in the door for Gourmet Burger Bar. On the menu they had a bun free option with added salad. Seems they might be twigging it, slowly.
    I think a burger with a salad is one of the most depressing things to eat. Reminds me of when I was constantly trying to get to 16% BF:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I read EileenG here gets the burgers and throws out the buns.
    Double cheeseburger is €2 which is the same as the 2 burgers, but you do get that delicious yellow gunk.

The burgers are listed at 100% beef

http://www.mcdonalds.ie/Our-Food/Ingredients-Listing.aspx?p=Hamburger

Chicken nuggets and pick off the coating might be another option. Not sure if they are 100% "breast".

I would have thought with all the low carb trends about that the fastfood places would have brought out some options.

Eddie rockets have a low carb burger. It's basically a burger in a bowl without bun and you get a salad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

not exactly off topic but dont think it warrants a new thread

anyone know if hot sauces have many calories in them? I mixed up a good chunk of enconas hot pepper sauce with some water and poured it over my lunchtime Salad. curious to know if the added awesomeness defeats the weight losing purpose of a lunchtime salad.

not exactly off topic but dont think it warrants a new thread

anyone know if hot sauces have many calories in them? I mixed up a good chunk of enconas hot pepper sauce with some water and poured it over my lunchtime Salad. curious to know if the added awesomeness defeats the weight losing purpose of a lunchtime salad.

Negligible, probably less than 10 cals a tablespoon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

marvellous. that's lunch sorted for the next week anyway

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45587821#.TuTrPLKgkdx

Cutting carbs two days week and then eating normally for the other 5 days caused weight loss more than restricting cals all week.

This is a very surprising study.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭AstridBean

WTF? How can you just become allergic to something suddenly like that?

Allergies are indeed something one can develop and not be born with. I know this from working in a lab where people have developed an allergy to the latex gloves we used where they initially had no problems with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭boomtown84

Cutting carbs two days week and then eating normally for the other 5 days caused weight loss more than restricting cals all week.

The weight loss in both groups was fairly low tbh...is there a link to the study or am i just being blind?:)

boomtown84 wrote: »
    The weight loss in both groups was fairly low tbh...is there a link to the study or am i just being blind?:)
    Was it something like 9lbs (low carb) vs 4lbs (control) over a 2 month period?

Full study hasn't been released yet. Looks to me like it is down to calorie restriction due to the satiating effect of protein. Also are there any details of the long term success of this dieting strategy? Doesn't the satiating effect of protein diminish after 6 months or something?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Pretty ropey tbh.

Sounds like it's essentially saying they put 3 groups on a diet, told 2 how much to eat, and then told the third they were on a diet too but not to eat carbs 2x per week.

Just knowing they were on a diet would probably have been enough to make people self restrict kcals. Any data around reported intake is probably meaningless too given people's tendency to mis-report.

Sounds like a pretty poorly contructed study tbh, unless the actual text address the above.

Why not just have a smoothed 7 day week where everyone eats 1,600 or however many kcals in total but with the IF guys eating proportionally less 2x per week and smoothing the deficit over the rest of the week? Probably because it wouldn't give the results the researchers wanted.

That's not to mention the thermic effect of food which would exist on the higher protein days, leading to a bigger net kcal deficit.

Eating less lead to weight loss. Colour me VERY skeptical on this one.

(I hope my 30 second skim read picked up the pertinent facts and I didn't just make myself look dumb!!)

• Advertisement

Hanley wrote: »
    Pretty ropey tbh.

Sounds like it's essentially saying they put 3 groups on a diet, told 2 how much to eat, and then told the third they were on a diet too but not to eat carbs 2x per week.

Just knowing they were on a diet would probably have been enough to make people self restrict kcals. Any data around reported intake is probably meaningless too given people's tendency to mis-report.

Sounds like a pretty poorly contructed study tbh, unless the actual text address the above.

Why not just have a smoothed 7 day week where everyone eats 1,600 or however many kcals in total but with the IF guys eating proportionally less 2x per week and smoothing the deficit over the rest of the week? Probably because it wouldn't give the results the researchers wanted.

That's not to mention the thermic effect of food which would exist on the higher protein days, leading to a bigger net kcal deficit.

Eating less lead to weight loss. Colour me VERY skeptical on this one.

(I hope my 30 second skim read picked up the pertinent facts and I didn't just make myself look dumb!!)

I completely accept all your points, people on studies tend to be very conscientious because they know they're being studied! Diet studies are a bit like quantum mechanics in that way:D

But 9lb loss is HUGE in terms of these types of studies, remember it is a mean, some participants lost more, some lost less.

And bear in mind that they were ALL being watched so over double the weight loss is definitely something odd indeed.

I wouldn't just put it down to protein right now but cannot wait to read the full study!

Advertisement