Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Off Topic Thread...

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I completely accept all your points, people on studies tend to be very conscientious because they know they're being studied! Diet studies are a bit like quantum mechanics in that way:D

But 9lb loss is HUGE in terms of these types of studies, remember it is a mean, some participants lost more, some lost less.

And bear in mind that they were ALL being watched so over double the weight loss is definitely something odd indeed.

I wouldn't just put it down to protein right now but cannot wait to read the full study!

All points of course accepted :)

I still think it largely comes down to caloric indicate, presumably the composition of the diet has effected hunger and possibly dietary adherence.

I'm splitting hairs and basically arguing calories are what actually matter here. But I guess in the real world any dietary approach which supports a dieters effort to control that is good!!

All speculation for now of course.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Hanley wrote: »
    All points of course accepted :)

I still think it largely comes down to caloric indicate, presumably the composition of the diet has effected hunger and possibly dietary adherence.

I'm splitting hairs and basically arguing calories are what actually matter here. But I guess in the real world any dietary approach which supports a dieters effort to control that is good!!

All speculation for now of course.

Sher 'tis all calories of course, but this shows that telling people to eat less is not as effective as manipulating their physiology to eat less, at least in the short term.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Sher 'tis all calories of course, but this shows that telling people to eat less is not as effective as manipulating their physiology to eat less, at least in the short term.

Yarp!!

I just take aversion to studies that seem to say kcals don't matter. Or at least diets that pretend kcals don't matter and then go on to just trick you into eating less kcals by whatevr means!!

Hanley wrote: »
    Yarp!!

I just take aversion to studies that seem to say kcals don't matter. Or at least diets that pretend kcals don't matter and then go on to just trick you into eating less kcals by whatevr means!!

Sometimes tricking does work though, most people on a low carb diet go 'OMG I'm eating MILLIONS of cals and losing weight!' at some point it's great fun altogether. I remember the first time popping my food for the day into fitday and going 'WHAT?? How could I only be eating 1200 calories?' :D

I'm trying out soaked porridge as a breakfast this week and it's giving me awful heartburn, which is weird because I rarely get heartburn.

Anyone else get this?

I need a breakfast that is a breakfast food (plain meat for breakfast is getting old), I'm allergic to eggs and I don't think bacon would be great every single day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭boomtown84

i make my own muesli with oats/dried fruit/nuts/seeds etc but it's all about porridge, eggs on toast and coffee in the winter.how about fruit salad with greek yoghurt or instant oats in a protein shake?or even protein powder in a fruit smoothie?....can't wait till i wake up tomorrow!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I'm trying out soaked porridge as a breakfast this week and it's giving me awful heartburn, which is weird because I rarely get heartburn.

Anyone else get this?

I need a breakfast that is a breakfast food (plain meat for breakfast is getting old), I'm allergic to eggs and I don't think bacon would be great every single day.

Are you eating it hot?

I know this is weird but if I eat it too hot I get heartburn.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Red Cortina

Have you tried rice porridge? Recipe is here: http://chriskresser.com/recipes Would still be nice without the egg yolk, I would imagine?

It's a killer trying to come up with GF brekkie ideas without using eggs!

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Frogdog

Anyone else get this?

Yep. All the time. So I stopped and switched to bacon and eggs....sorry! :o

Are you eating it hot?

I know this is weird but if I eat it too hot I get heartburn.

It's warm alright I don't think too hot though.

I'm trying to ferment the oats so muesli options are out.

Have some protein powder but it's not filling, I get a bit hypoglycemic after it too as the insulin surge causes the aul' bg to plumet.

Yoghurt is lovely, but again not really very filling.. sigh.
    Have you tried rice porridge? Recipe is here: http://chriskresser.com/recipes Would still be nice without the egg yolk, I would imagine?

It's a killer trying to come up with GF brekkie ideas without using eggs!

Ohh good idea, I could make some tapioca pudding too! Love tapioca.

Could also make some buckwheat pancakes, been meaning to try those!

Thanks guys!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

Not really worried about this at this stage but have to say it somewhere just so I don't say it while slightly drunk over the christmas dinner (although it still might happen)

My doctor rang me today over blood tests results everything was fine except for one which was only slightly off but looks like I might be heading towards an underactive thyroid. I can't really remember what he said but I have to go back in a while to get another test and see is it the same, worse or better. I'm not going to let myself worry until I got those results.

As for now, it's christmas, I've spent the day in the gym spent ages foam rolling, cycling around with heavy bags I made triffle(with a full bottle of sherry:pac: I used half a bottle before and they complained that there wasn't enough in it) I made custard from scratch, I prepared the veg and I had to sit watching my brother try set up his new star wars game(for about two hours!) In about 12 hours I'll be eating the dinner and it better be good! I really need sleep now!

Don't worry bout the tests now! Not the time! Enjoy your dinner. PM me if you want at any stage, I've had a friend go through the undiagnosed circle of hell and it turned out to be thyroid, she's now a billion times better.

Mine is over and done with, I made part of the dinner, mashed carrots and parsnips that my dad grew and potatoes roasted in duckfat. I fecked up the potatoes for the last two years so I'm proud to have redeemed myself this year!:D

I'm really not worring about it at the moment if the next test turns out wrong then I will worry but for now no, got other things to worry about. I've also managed not to say it yet but apparently the nights not over yet! Next test is in a few months so I'll see then at the moment the test weren't too off for me to worry, they were just a little above normal so I wouldn't have it but I could be heading that direction, I won't know until a few months so what's the point worrying now.

(little drunk too, dinner went well and so did my 6 bottles of red!) I made brussell sprouts fried in bacon bits, cream, and garlic, it was good!

This is brilliant:

http://www.theonion.com/audio/new-lowcalorie-sheep-bred-to-combat-wolf-obesity,26242/

Next time you see an add for special K or Low Low or anything like that, think of how absurd this is that we 'design' foods to make us eat less (which don't work anyway!)

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Piper101

terrible, terrible, terrible, started off well this morning with boiled eggs and fruit for brekkie and then HAD to have a mcdonalds cappuccino at lunch time which invariably led to a medium fries to go with it!!!

havent ruined it completely though, had tuna with some low fat salad cream , cherry tomatos and cucumber for my dinner. Tell me i'm not so bad!!!

This is brilliant:

http://www.theonion.com/audio/new-lowcalorie-sheep-bred-to-combat-wolf-obesity,26242/

Next time you see an add for special K or Low Low or anything like that, think of how absurd this is that we 'design' foods to make us eat less (which don't work anyway!)

I actually love Special K. It's one of the major things I miss now that I eat healthier. :D

I actually love Special K. It's one of the major things I miss now that I eat healthier. :D

I like it too, it's junk food so of course it's tasty, it also ensures I'm starving 30 mins later!

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Frogdog

Piper101 wrote: »
    terrible, terrible, terrible, started off well this morning with boiled eggs and fruit for brekkie and then HAD to have a mcdonalds cappuccino at lunch time which invariably led to a medium fries to go with it!!!

havent ruined it completely though, had tuna with some low fat salad cream , cherry tomatos and cucumber for my dinner. Tell me i'm not so bad!!!

You're not so bad!

There. I said it. But get rid of the salad cream. Replace with extra virgin olive oil or balsamic vinegar or something.

Oh and low fat isn't healthy. Full fat is. Food manufacturers often remove the fat (which is costly to them) with some form of carbohydrate (which is cheaper to produce).

I like it too, it's junk food so of course it's tasty, it also ensures I'm starving 30 mins later!

..and then you can go have another bowl. Success!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭kate.m

Hey guys, just want to hear your thoughts on this.

My dad has been quite overweight for a long time. He is stubborn and quite ignorant of nutrition in general. Yet for the last few months, if not year, he's being trying to lose weight. On and off. Not fully commiting and cheating with bad meals a lot. He also did a ridiculous amount of walking. Like not even proper walking, just stroling around in the morning and evening. (my point that he isn't prObably burning calories with slow walking) but for 2 or 3 hours a day.

Anyway in the last few months, he just has porridge for lunch with goatsmilk totally skipping breckfast. Then he has dinner which is anything, usually typical roast dinner, pasta ect. Which I know are not *that* healthy although we do eat a lot of vegetables. He always had some form of desert. Especially during Xmas, mince pies and cream daily, sweets whatever. (I know diets change during Xmas) but he still does it.

Also he drinks beer daily, maybe not a full one at home. And goes to the pub at least 3 times a week where I've no doubt he has 2-3 pints.

Yet when I tell him his diet sucks, he tells me it's working. he's lost like 3 stone in the year, or so he says. His BMI still says he's overweight. Just about.

I read this forum a lot to know what is a good and bad way to lose weight.

Sorry for the rant but do you guys honestly think he'll lose weight like this?! He claims it's working...but I don't know if losing what he claims is progress or not. Anyway rant over...just wondering what you think.

• Advertisement

kate.m wrote: »
    Hey guys, just want to hear your thoughts on this.

My dad has been quite overweight for a long time. He is stubborn and quite ignorant of nutrition in general. Yet for the last few months, if not year, he's being trying to lose weight. On and off. Not fully commiting and cheating with bad meals a lot. He also did a ridiculous amount of walking. Like not even proper walking, just stroling around in the morning and evening. (my point that he isn't prObably burning calories with slow walking) but for 2 or 3 hours a day.

Anyway in the last few months, he just has porridge for lunch with goatsmilk totally skipping breckfast. Then he has dinner which is anything, usually typical roast dinner, pasta ect. Which I know are not *that* healthy although we do eat a lot of vegetables. He always had some form of desert. Especially during Xmas, mince pies and cream daily, sweets whatever. (I know diets change during Xmas) but he still does it.

Also he drinks beer daily, maybe not a full one at home. And goes to the pub at least 3 times a week where I've no doubt he has 2-3 pints.

Yet when I tell him his diet sucks, he tells me it's working. he's lost like 3 stone in the year, or so he says. His BMI still says he's overweight. Just about.

I read this forum a lot to know what is a good and bad way to lose weight.

Sorry for the rant but do you guys honestly think he'll lose weight like this?! He claims it's working...but I don't know if losing what he claims is progress or not. Anyway rant over...just wondering what you think.

Sounds like my father, except yours is actually doing much better! Ages ago he decided he should lose some weight, I tried tell them things whats good and bad, bought them coconut oil, printed out info, and went shopping with them and tried explaining about food labels and what to avoid. Well I found that flora pump/spray stuff in the press, the printed out stuff got put somewhere 'safe' without even being glanced at, as for the shopping they got the things I told them were crap, and stopped listening to me by the end of the shopping(it was taking too long)
    His diet didn't last long.

At least I've learned that with some people all you can do is give up trying and try to lead by example.

I think his diet isn't the healthiest but if he's lost three stone it's probably a million times better than it was. At the end of the day no food is worse than carrying weight on your belly in middle age.

If it's working for them AND he can do it long term, best thing you can do is influence what you can ensuring he gets a little extra healthy food (there's lots of low-sugar desserts you can make for example - he'll just see it as a treat!)

Orla K wrote: »
    Sounds like my father, except yours is actually doing much better! Ages ago he decided he should lose some weight, I tried tell them things whats good and bad, bought them coconut oil, printed out info, and went shopping with them and tried explaining about food labels and what to avoid. Well I found that flora pump/spray stuff in the press, the printed out stuff got put somewhere 'safe' without even being glanced at, as for the shopping they got the things I told them were crap, and stopped listening to me by the end of the shopping(it was taking too long)
    His diet didn't last long.

At least I've learned that with some people all you can do is give up trying and try to lead by example.

Had an argument at dinner today, thanks for the quick reply. It's like I'm wasting my time.

Good to hear I'm not the only one to endure this type of attitude, he's eating chocolate covered rice cakes now :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Red Cortina

@ kate.m: Fair play to your Dad for losing that weight! That's great going.

My mam has lost half a stone recently by having smoothies instead of a proper breakfast. TBH I don't care how she does it as long as she keeps it up! She was wondering at Christmas was it the different medications she had recently started taking that had helped reduce her breathlessness, not the fact that she is lugging around half a stone less (plus some) :rolleyes:

@ kate.m: Fair play to your Dad for losing that weight! That's great going.

My mam has lost half a stone recently by having smoothies instead of a proper breakfast. TBH I don't care how she does it as long as she keeps it up! She was wondering at Christmas was it the different medications she had recently started taking that had helped reduce her breathlessness, not the fact that she is lugging around half a stone less (plus some) :rolleyes:

Haha :) that's quite amusing. My dad did say he was surprised at how much easier walking had become....:rolleyes:

I know I should probably be easier on him, 3 stone is quite a bit! I just think he's not doing it in a very healthy way and that there might be side effects. I'll just have to close my eyes and leave him at it so!

I was forgetting about how crap ready meals were, I got bored and looked into the ww thread(don't worry ww people, it doesn't happen often!) and saw this it's got more sugar in there than fat! The ingredients list doesn't look too bad until you reach sugar, I guess since tesco are in the business of selling food they would want people to come back for more and consume lots of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

Anyone able to point me towards a decent set of weighing scales (for weighing myself, not food!)? I'm trying to measure my loss by inches rather than weight, but I'd like to have scales as well. I had a look on the argos website but they seem to only have weightwatchers brand available in my nearest shop and there are loads of poor reviews.

Any thoughts?

jokettle wrote: »
    Anyone able to point me towards a decent set of weighing scales (for weighing myself, not food!)? I'm trying to measure my loss by inches rather than weight, but I'd like to have scales as well. I had a look on the argos website but they seem to only have weightwatchers brand available in my nearest shop and there are loads of poor reviews.

Any thoughts?

Just get a bog-standard electronic one. I bought one of those super fancy ones from amazon that measured everything and logged it. It was ridiculously non-user friendly and I just went back to the normal one.

Everyone hates it because it weighs you 3 pounds heavier than the mechanical ones. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

Cheers; I saw a salter one in Argos that looks grand and not pricey. I'd much rather buy from a decent electronics brand than have something with weightwatchers plastered all over it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement