Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Off Topic Thread...

Options

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

And you're almost 50 Rovi?? I'm in awe!

What did you do to keep motivated?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

What did you do to keep motivated?
    A couple of things, I guess:
    I remodelled the bathroom for Christmas 2009, including fitting 3 large mirrors; there was now no way to avoid seeing myself in all my... glory. From several directions at once! :eek:
    My personal life hit a pretty major obstacle at about that time too (and an even bigger one more recently :(), so I needed something to concentrate on by way of a distraction I suppose.
    I don't recommend emulating that second one :D

To provide a more tangible purpose to all this, I started Crossfit last October and joined my local triathlon club this January. I now aim to be faster/stronger/fitter than people half my age. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Lombardo86

Hi All,

I thought this was the most appropriate thread for this. I have been a long time lurker and decided i should finally sign up in order to give my own 2-cents and to be able to ask my own specific questions to the experts in the forums.

While not requiring to, and not actually achieving major weight loss in the recent past, reading the articles and advice posted by the regulars on this forum (as well as the heath and fitness forum) have helped me to eat a lot cleaner and be fitter and healthier as a result. I now understand how to exercise properly and how to eat a LOT healthier than i previously have.

While not thanking you all previously - I am doing it now! Your inputs to the forum are appreciated but not just me but everybody else.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Red Cortina

Its book buying time again for me. I am currently working my way through Why Zebras Don't Get Ulcers and am considering buying the following:
    • Gut and Psychology Syndrome: Natural Treatment for Autism, ADD/ADHD, Dyslexia, Dyspraxia, Depression, Schizophrenia by Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride MD.
    • Bad Science by Ben Goldacre
    • The Vegetarian Myth by Lierre Keith
    • Deep Nutrition: Why Your Genes Need Traditional Food by Catherine Shanahan MD and Luke Shanahan
    • Primal Body-Primal Mind: Nora Gedgaudas
    Anyone read any of these books already? Any reviews/opinions or otherwise? Any other suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Adelie

Anyone read any of these books already? Any reviews/opinions or otherwise? Any other suggestions?

Bad Science by Ben Goldacre
    Nice and funny book, although if you know a bit about science and statistics, and have read his columns, there's not much new, but it's still a nice easy interesting read. And it was really cheap on the Book Depository when I bought it, like a fiver.

Deep Nutrition: Why Your Genes Need Traditional Food
    Some really interesting stuff, some bizarre speculation, but I did enjoy it. I'm pretty sure that some of their ideas about nutrition and genetics are wrong but some seem very plausible. Sorry I can't be more specific it's a while since I read it.

• Advertisement

Adelie wrote: »
    Bad Science by Ben Goldacre
    Nice and funny book, although if you know a bit about science and statistics, and have read his columns, there's not much new, but it's still a nice easy interesting read. And it was really cheap on the Book Depository when I bought it, like a fiver.

Deep Nutrition: Why Your Genes Need Traditional Food
    Some really interesting stuff, some bizarre speculation, but I did enjoy it. I'm pretty sure that some of their ideas about nutrition and genetics are wrong but some seem very plausible. Sorry I can't be more specific it's a while since I read it.
    Thanks for those reviews:)
    Any other books you would recommend?

Thanks for those reviews:)
    Any other books you would recommend?

unfortunately not - the other nutrition books I've read have been ones mentioned here by you and others (Omnivores Dilemma, Nourishing Traditions). If I read any more in the future I'll post a quick review. I also appreciate recommendations you've posted before!

unfortunately not - the other nutrition books I've read have been ones mentioned here by you and others (Omnivores Dilemma, Nourishing Traditions). If I read any more in the future I'll post a quick review. I also appreciate recommendations you've posted before!
    I really liked Michael Pollan's books but disagree with the recommendation to 'Eat Food, Not a Lot, Mostly Plants'. Think the 'Plants' bit is wrong:pac:

I have to admit that I haven't fully read Nourishing Traditions. TBH I was expecting something a lot different. I had expected loads of hearty soup and stew recipes but there was sweet fa along those lines. And every other recipe seemed to use wheatflour:( But this is just my overall impression as I eventually gave up on it...

I also bought a couple of Jennifer McLagan's books (Fat and Bones) and was expecting loads of soup and stew recipes (can you see a trend here??) but again there wasn't so much of these.

Another one I've read recently was Bad Science by Gary Taubes. If you thought The Diet Delusion was a hard read well then steer well clear of that one! Bloody hell but it was hard going. But again interesting to read about what happens when the tried and trusted manner of reporting out on research is ignored.

I have to admit that I haven't fully read Nourishing Traditions. TBH I was expecting something a lot different. I had expected loads of hearty soup and stew recipes but there was sweet fa along those lines. And every other recipe seemed to use wheatflour:( But this is just my overall impression as I eventually gave up on it...

Yeah I know what you mean. I still got some ideas out of it but not as much as I expected considering the size of the book! Also, even though I agree with the gist of their nutrition advice, it disappoints me when books back up their claims with anecdotes and references to silly health newsletters.

Really pricey book but I've not read a better primer on the more complex biochem:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/063206384X?ie=UTF8&tag=thespaofrea-20&link_code=wql&camp=212361&creative=380601

Ignore the saturated fat bit (so logical up to that point, just goes to show how ingrained the idea is) but the rest is a great grounding in nutrition biochem.

• Advertisement

Really pricey book but I've not read a better primer on the more complex biochem:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/063206384X?ie=UTF8&tag=thespaofrea-20&link_code=wql&camp=212361&creative=380601

Ignore the saturated fat bit (so logical up to that point, just goes to show how ingrained the idea is) but the rest is a great grounding in nutrition biochem.
    €36.70 with free shipping in The Book Depository.
    http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Metabolic-Regulation-Keith-Frayn/9781405183598

Rovi wrote: »

Dang it.

Today I ate oatcakes which had "no added salt" but listed "Sea Salt" as an ingredient.

I also ate prawns which were "fat free" but a "good source of Omega 3!"

*sighs at food labelling*

any other good ones?

Today I ate oatcakes which had "no added salt" but listed "Sea Salt" as an ingredient.

I also ate prawns which were "fat free" but a "good source of Omega 3!"

*sighs at food labelling*

any other good ones?

A colleague of mine came back from america and brought twizzlers, these things:

tumblr_l09srpEDSi1qax3a0.jpg

On the side it says 'As always a low fat snack!'

They might as well say 'As always, free of heroin!'

• Registered Users Posts: 39,123 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The twisters I'd nealy expect, it is true after all. It's obviously terribly misleading, and I don't agree with it.

But the no added sea salt and fatfree/omega 3 is just plain lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

The 200,000 Irish people with Type 2 diabetes have been offered new hope, with research revealing they could reverse their condition by following a very low calorie diet.

The expert behind the UK study said the "remarkable" findings showed an eight-week diet could prompt the body to produce its own insulin.

The breakthrough suggests a dramatic drop in calories has a direct effect on reducing fat accumulated in the pancreas, which in turn prompts insulin cells to "wake up".

Just 600 calories a day as part of a special diet could be enough to reverse Type 2 diabetes in some patients.

The findings are consistent with the belief that a lack of insulin secretion - which is vital for blood sugar control - is due to accumulation of fat in the liver and pancreas.

Experts at Newcastle University carried out an early-stage trial on 11 people with diabetes. They each followed a diet of liquid drinks (containing 46.4% carbohydrate, 32.5% protein and 20.1% fat, with vitamins and minerals) and non-starchy vegetables.

After just one week, pre-breakfast blood sugar levels had returned to normal among the group. Over two months, insulin cell function in the pancreas increased towards normal and pancreatic fat decreased, as shown on MRI scans.

Three months later, after going back to normal eating with advice on portion control and healthy foods, seven people remained free of diabetes.

Professor Roy Taylor of Newcastle University, who led the study, said: "For many years, it has been assumed that Type 2 diabetes is a life sentence. It's chronic, it's progressive, people need more and more tablets, and eventually they need insulin. It's a downhill slope.

"However, we have been able to show that it is in fact reversible. We have been able to put diabetes into reverse by a very low calorie diet over a short period of time.

"What is really important and very new is the changes in the body that go along with this. Specifically, the insulin-producing cells in the pancreas have gone to sleep in Type 2 diabetes; they are not really doing very much.

"As the level of fat in the pancreas has reduced, we have seen these insulin-producing cells come completely back to normal, and that is truly remarkable."

Think they messed up the headline - it should probably read strict "low calorie diet" - interesting nonetheless

Was that in a newspaper somewhere?

Good stuff!

Pity about the headline though, as you say; perpetuating the old "fats bad, hmmmkay?" dogma. :(

Weird, studying molecular nutrition in september and my course director emailed me just now recommending that book. In my library too, sweet!

• Advertisement

Thanks for that recommendation:)
    No doubt it will probably take me longer to get through that than the Diet Delusion:pac:

A colleague of mine came back from america and brought twizzlers, these things:

tumblr_l09srpEDSi1qax3a0.jpg

On the side it says 'As always a low fat snack!'

They might as well say 'As always, free of heroin!'
    I dunno what they are made of but my hubby bloody loves those things:(

Think they messed up the headline - it should probably read strict "low calorie diet" - interesting nonetheless
    That's a pretty interesting study I think. Very low in calories though. The rest of their cal requirements coming from the rumps of their asses! ie a high fat diet:pac:

Edited to Say:
    Oh dear lord I've just read that indo article about that study (http://www.independent.ie/health/latest-news/strict-low-fat-diet-can-reverse-diabetes-in-just-two-months-2804958.html) That diet that they consumed wasn't just low in fat, it was low in carbs and low in protein too!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

If you are doing weight trainning in the morning, do you need to take a reasonably high carb meal 1 hour beforehand?

I'm doing low carb (<50g carbs) and it's been suggested to me to take oats in morning instead of eggs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

Do whatever makes you feel better, go for longer and/or with heavier weights. There's no universally accepted rule. For example some people prefer fasted training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

rocky wrote: »
    Do whatever makes you feel better, go for longer and/or with heavier weights. There's no universally accepted rule. For example some people prefer fasted training.

Out of curiosity what do you have pre / post workout meal yourself (I understand our goals are probably totally different)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

I don't have specific meals pre/post, but I do tend to increase carbs around workout time.

I've created the nerdiest meme ever in response to frustration with my thesis:
    166240.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Oh dear El D, are things getting that bad? When's it due in anyway?

How're all my other old boardsie nutrition-nerds doing these days? I didn't manage to replace the laptop yet, just borrowing one for a few days from a mate so said I'd check in and say hi...

Is UL still floating about these parts? EDIT: oops forgot it's Metamorphosis these days :)

• Advertisement

Sapsorrow wrote: »
    Oh dear El D, are things getting that bad? When's it due in anyway?

How're all my other old boardsie nutrition-nerds doing these days? I didn't manage to replace the laptop yet, just borrowing one for a few days from a mate so said I'd check in and say hi...

Is UL still floating about these parts? EDIT: oops forgot it's Metamorphosis these days :)

Hello!!! End of August, it's going sooo slowly, and it would really help if every second paper didn't contradict the one before. I'm learning a lot about leptin, but that might not even turn out to be relevant now. :/ Science is so damn inconclusive, I laugh at myself of 3 years ago, ah to be that sure of anything again!

I've advised the other half to have me committed if I ever decide to do a part time masters again.

Advertisement