Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Off Topic Thread...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Beffy

I've tried turkey rashers in the last few days, i'm very impressed with them!

Apparently the sausages aren't bad either.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If you want lower salt & fat you can make mini medallion rashers from a pork steak. The long bits of pork you get in vacuum packs
    26_pork_tenderloin.jpg

it probably works out cheaper per kg than turkey rashers or branded pork rashers.

The trick is to freeze them so they are semi solid, then pop them out of the bag and you can do very thin cuts with a good knife. This half frozen trick works well with chicken fillets too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Beffy wrote: »
    I've tried turkey rashers in the last few days, i'm very impressed with them!

Apparently the sausages aren't bad either.

I prefer chicken sausages over turkey ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Stable Diet Flapjacks used to consist of just Oats, butter and Sugar before, they were my occasional treat after long runs during marathon training.

Picked one up today, now i see they have started to use veg oil in their ingredients ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

use veg oil in their ingredients ffs
    Is it high on the list? -i.e. they are listed in order of greatest.

Some companies have ingredients you might not want but they are really more like additives and far down the list, rather than the bulk of the product. Like McCambridges wholewheat flour contains white flour.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Was anyone listening to the dietician on the last word today?

My signal kept dropping out so only caught bits and pieces. But I did catch her saying. 'There's no way white bread can cause bloating because it's so high GI none of it makes it to your intestine.'.. ehhhh, except that wheat flour contains FODMAPS and these DO make it to your intestine and are fermented creating the trademark 'bread bloat' that some are susceptible to. Seriously, where did she study? This is basic stuff!

I really pity her clients. 'Well I get a really bad pain in my stomach when I eat bread'. 'Well your imagining that because we all know that you HAVE to be coeliac before you can EVER have an issue with wheat.'

Jesus wept.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

Was anyone listening to the dietician on the last word today?

My signal kept dropping out so only caught bits and pieces. But I did catch her saying. 'There's no way white bread can cause bloating because it's so high GI none of it makes it to your intestine.'.. ehhhh, except that wheat flour contains FODMAPS and these DO make it to your intestine and are fermented creating the trademark 'bread bloat' that some are susceptible to. Seriously, where did she study? This is basic stuff!

I really pity her clients. 'Well I get a really bad pain in my stomach when I eat bread'. 'Well your imagining that because we all know that you HAVE to be coeliac before you can EVER have an issue with wheat.'

Jesus wept.

I heard that, she basicly said your bloated because you eat too much, she kept mentioning her blackrock(?) private clinic too. She also started laughing when asked about rye bread as a subitute to wheat, she said they were the same thing, now I don't know much but is rye not more like what wheat used to be like and with less gluten.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Hey peeps! Meta reminded me howl long it's been since I checked in so I thought I'd come say hi! How goes it all with you lot these days? I'm in an internet cafe at the min but hopefully getting home broadband soon woo! El D how's all the college stuff going these days?? Hope you're all good anyways :)

Sapsorrow wrote: »
    Hey peeps! Meta reminded me howl long it's been since I checked in so I thought I'd come say hi! How goes it all with you lot these days? I'm in an internet cafe at the min but hopefully getting home broadband soon woo! El D how's all the college stuff going these days?? Hope you're all good anyways :)

Sapsorrow's back! Yayyyyyyy!!!:):):)

College is done done done. Graduated last Dec. Now a masters of medical science or some such fun thing. My diabetes trial STILL hasn't gotten going despite me being trained about a year ago now. Research moves sooooo slowly, I now understand why it takes guidelines literally decades to catch-up.

How are things down your part of the country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Why is honey not considered paleo?

I don't follow the diet but I'd assume paleo man would smash out a bee hive and grab some honeycomb if he stumbled upon one.

• Advertisement

It is but I reckon you wouldn't have an awful lot of it if this video is anything to go by :):

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I think the reasoning is that honey would have been a very rare and hard earned treat for paleo man.

Honey in a jar doesn't count, it's only 'paleo' if you got it by taking it out of a hollow tree, 30 feet up in the air, wearing nothing but a loincloth :D

Rovi wrote: »
    I think the reasoning is that honey would have been a very rare and hard earned treat for paleo man.

Honey in a jar doesn't count, it's only 'paleo' if you got it by taking it out of a hollow tree, 30 feet up in the air, wearing nothing but a loincloth :D

Crazy stuff but looked like there version of Xmas come earlier.

Reason I asked, is because I was looking to make some different bars to Transforms and saw the honey isn't paleo argument.

I am so grateful to have discovered NOW digestive enxymes. Had a decidedly un-paleo weekend (was minding my niece and damn but most fun kid-related things come with no dining option but junk food but that's a rant for another day:)), feeling icky and bloated. Popped two tablets and tummy is back on track. NOT looking forward to the sugar hangover tomorrow though.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭mcballer

Hi, Where do you get the digestive enzymes El dangeroso?? Bloating is the bain of my life...

iherb have the best value on them:

http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Super-Enzymes-180-Tablets/856?at=0

They have been life changing for me. Wish someone would do a proper study on them.

NOW Foods make some good products

Cool thanks.I see they contain HCl...they don't give you heartburn do they?I've a hiatus hernia and get heartburn quite abit.My digestive system sucks with the eternal heartburn/bloating haa!!

mcballer wrote: »
    Cool thanks.I see they contain HCl...they don't give you heartburn do they?I've a hiatus hernia and get heartburn quite abit.My digestive system sucks with the eternal heartburn/bloating haa!!

I know it seems weird but it can actually cure heartburn. Just take it in the middle of a meal, as in eat half the plate, take a tab and eat the other half. If you get a 'hot' sensation, you know you've taken too much and you scale back the dose.

Good info on getting the dosing right here:

http://www.charlespoliquin.com/ArticlesMultimedia/Articles/Article/27/Maximize_Your_Progress_with_Hydrochloric_Acid.aspx

It makes total sense physiologically speaking for low stomach acid to cause heartburn, as the undigested food makes it's way into your small intestine, it ferments (where it's not supposed to ferment), this generates gas, which bubbles back through your stomach and throat, opening the flap that is supposed to keep stomach acid in your stomach on it's way. In fact, this is exactly how the infection h. pylori perpetuates itself, it lowers stomach acid, which generates hydrogen gas in the intestine, which bubbles back up and feeds the bacteria. Those bacteria are so damn clever!

Having said that all the above is hypothesis at the moment, the research on using HCl is sparse and limited generally to those with diagnosed with hypochloridia or low stomach acid, which involves a highly uncomfortable test of swallowing a string which is then dragged back up the throat.

So this is all theoretical and experimental, but given that a short-course (maybe 2-3 weeks?) of this stuff usually gets me back on track and the only observable side-effect is a warming sensation if I didn't need it, I'm willing to take that risk given the massive improvement in the quality of life it gives me.

Thanks for the info.I'm going to look into this and probably give them a go. If something works for you, it works, even without massive studies to prove why.
    And sometimes recommendations from other people can be a revelation. For example I suffer terribly with ibs-c , giving up gluten helped my symptoms hugely but I still wasn't feeling great. I saw on an ibs forum people recommending magnesium supplements. Tried them but didn't work. But then read magnesium specifically in citrate form worked for certain people....tried it and symptoms hugely improved. Now if I could lesson the bloating It would be just magical....to be able to digest food like a normal person would make my life ;-). I'm willing to try things cause you never know....could be the answer to my prayers.

• Advertisement

shape-4.jpg

Just finished teaching my classes in UL sports arena tonight, after a full day doing a leadership workshop for my masters. Apparently according to Myles Briggs Indicator, I am an extrovert, decisive, like to assume leadership role and thinking of the here and now, like facts and truth.

That's the idea of our Msc lecturers idea of class bonding

Also, no coffee today means people are hard to handle!

Just finished teaching my classes in UL sports arena tonight, after a full day doing a leadership workshop for my masters. Apparently according to Myles Briggs Indicator, I am an extrovert, decisive, like to assume leadership role and thinking of the here and now, like facts and truth.

That's the idea of our Msc lecturers idea of class bonding

Also, no coffee today means people are hard to handle!

I'm an INFJ btw :cool:

I gave up caffeine four months ago so I feel your pain. It was messing with my digestion and sleep and it felt like losing an old friend :(

I still have days where I'm tired and I don't have a caffeine-crutch to rely on.

Some of these paleo sites are full of fanatics. They really put me off paleo.

"Whey is processed toxic poison!!"

Some of these paleo sites are full of fanatics. They really put me off paleo.

"Whey is processed toxic poison!!"

Been that fanatical is just another way of vying for control in a world where we can't really always have it. Not always been able to have it scares people

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭boomtown84

Been that fanatical is just another way of vying for control in a world where we can't really always have it. Not always been able to have it scares people

Deep, man!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

Had the Aldi 21 day aged Sirloin steak tonight for the first time...

Mother-Of-God_bda9776d7708c303ebf0276fbb5720eb.gif

rocky wrote: »
    Had the Aldi 21 day aged Sirloin steak tonight for the first time...

Mother-Of-God_bda9776d7708c303ebf0276fbb5720eb.gif

So you recommend it rocky?

I didn't think all that much of it, but I'm actually not a huge steak fan (shocking I know!).

The best supermarket one is M&S 21 day aged striploin but it does cost about 8 quid a steak.

The best best one is an aged rib-eye from Tormey's butchers in Galway, Tenderest thing in existence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

So you recommend it rocky?

yeah... Keep in mind I'm a steak noob, I enjoyed chewing my steaks until now...
    I didn't think all that much of it, but I'm actually not a huge steak fan (shocking I know!).

The best supermarket one is M&S 21 day aged striploin but it does cost about 8 quid a steak.

The best best one is an aged rib-eye from Tormey's butchers in Galway, Tenderest thing in existence.

Are they beside Evergreen in the Galway SC?

Advertisement