Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Off Topic Thread...

Options

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

hmmm that farm is pretty interesting, I see they are running a 1 day course on the 19th of Feb. I might contact them about doing it...
    I'm about halfway through reading the Omnivore's Dilemma at the mo and it is really hammering home to me how important it is to be connected with the people who produce your food....

Ooh, I missed the thing about the course, where's that?

Edit: found it http://www.castleminefarm.ie/the-great-outdoors

Might go to the sausage making course.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Red Cortina

Ooh, I missed the thing about the course, where's that?
    Here you go:
    http://www.castleminefarm.ie/the-great-outdoors

Says this about the course 'We cover various aspects on rearing standards, butchering, cuts of meat, price and why it varies so much, what to look for and questions you should ask when buying.'

Sounds like I might learn a lot from it:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Interesting info there. I know nothing about the whole process TBH but it is something I hope to learn more about.
    BTW how did that nugget of info about the slaugherhouse come up in your conversation????

Some butchers are still capable of slaughtering animals, I know a guy in sligo.

Found this website for the first time today: http://www.primalbody-primalmind.com/top10-nutritional-mistakes.html

As someone who works with a load of people who eat sugar/chocolate/crisps/chips etc everyday and smugly exercise to burn it off, this sentance that 'Exercise does not determine your biochemistry—diet does' puts very eloquently how I feel about the whole thing!

Makes you think about the whole re-locating of this forum. As that blog author says 'Exercise is an ADJUNCT to a healthy diet…NOT a substitute'. :pac::pac::pac:

It really is important, though, exercise that is. But diet is by far so much more important, of course I would say that! Feels weird being 'under' fitness..dirty almost.:P

Says she finding it hard to lift her hands to type after too many pull-ups.:pac:

• Advertisement

It really is important, though, exercise that is. But diet is by far so much more important, of course I would say that! Feels weird being 'under' fitness..dirty almost.:P

Says she finding it hard to lift her hands to type after too many pull-ups.:pac:
    Ah, I just get annoyed listening to the crowd at work who sh!te on virtuously about running for miles on end while tucking into a plate of chips followed by chocolate cause they need to 'carb load' and say stuff like 'I'll run it off later'.

Fair play on the pull ups, I still can't do one un-assisted chin up. You'll be starting a Fitness Log shortly:pac::pac:

Ah, I just get annoyed listening to the crowd at work who sh!te on virtuously about running for miles on end while tucking into a plate of chips followed by chocolate cause they need to 'carb load' and say stuff like 'I'll run it off later'.

Fair play on the pull ups, I still can't do one un-assisted chin up. You'll be starting a Fitness Log shortly:pac::pac:

Probably not! I take the 'intermittent fasting' approach to exercise, good binge on it and then none for a while.

I think the reason I like pull ups is that there is a definitive goal. I want to be able to do 10 'proper' pull ups. Currently, it's, uh, one.:o

Where do you train?

Where do you train?

In my bedroom :o Gonna treat myself to a couple personal training sessions when I'm done paying off the dentist. Keep pulling my shoulder, so there's something off with my form but I can't tell what. Wish there was a crossfit box in Galway, I've heard good things.

Probably not! I take the 'intermittent fasting' approach to exercise, good binge on it and then none for a while.

I think the reason I like pull ups is that there is a definitive goal. I want to be able to do 10 'proper' pull ups. Currently, it's, uh, one.

Unfortunately I’ve been taking an intermittent approach to my training this week too. Have been lamped with a sore throat, cold, cough, dizzy spells etc since Monday:(

In my bedroom Gonna treat myself to a couple personal training sessions when I'm done paying off the dentist. Keep pulling my shoulder, so there's something off with my form but I can't tell what. Wish there was a crossfit box in Galway, I've heard good things.

I tried crossfit but it just wasn’t for me. I ended up with a couple of injuries for my trouble…
    I go to a trainer who does up a program specific to me and I find it good. If I could only find a way to get around not having to listen to his dietary advice a la the land of broscience (:pac::pac::pac:) I would be sorted

• Advertisement

broscience is the bestscience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

broscience is the bestscience.

A-fucking-men brah.

I'll just pop this in here 'cos in the light of the last weeks events I definitely don't want to make a big deal about it but I'm taking a little break from N&D. I have a thesis deadline looming and this place provides no end of ideas of interesting things to research, which are irresistible when you have an urge to procrastinate. I really really really need to be only researching and writing my thesis right now and so EileenG has kindly agreed to ban me for a few months to save me from myself!

It's unfortunate timing 'cos it seems like an exciting place to be around at the moment. Things are changing and there's loads more people on here. I hope to be back in a few months with infinitely more free time, and possibly a blog!

I'll leave yis with a quote which I promise to take on board more when I return and will be a reminder for people to play nice:

"Friends may come and go, but enemies accumulate." - Thomas Jones

:pac: Laters!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Good luck with the thesis El D, talk to you soon xx

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

I will really miss your posts and i'm sure im going to hit a plateau woth my foody nerdism for a while as a result. Best of luck with your thesis.

I have an interview tomorrow evening - figers crossd for me people, really need this.

Rachael_Taylor_1280041996.jpg

Every so often watching Greys pays off.

Id say no matter how hard you try, and even in El D's absence, the off topic thread here will never be like the fitness off topic thread

Id say no matter how hard you try, and even in El D's absence, the off topic thread here will never be like the fitness off topic thread

I'll do my bit now and again.

I seem to have an attachment to off topic threads, i've over 1000 posts in the one in Fitness, that's more than my Log like.

I'll just pop this in here 'cos in the light of the last weeks events I definitely don't want to make a big deal about it but I'm taking a little break from N&D. I have a thesis deadline looming and this place provides no end of ideas of interesting things to research, which are irresistible when you have an urge to procrastinate. I really really really need to be only researching and writing my thesis right now and so EileenG has kindly agreed to ban me for a few months to save me from myself!

It's unfortunate timing 'cos it seems like an exciting place to be around at the moment. Things are changing and there's loads more people on here. I hope to be back in a few months with infinitely more free time, and possibly a blog!

I'll leave yis with a quote which I promise to take on board more when I return and will be a reminder for people to play nice:

"Friends may come and go, but enemies accumulate." - Thomas Jones

:pac: Laters!
    Sorry to hear this. Best of luck with the thesis, tough going doing something like that:)

I will really miss your posts and i'm sure im going to hit a plateau woth my foody nerdism for a while as a result. Best of luck with your thesis.

I have an interview tomorrow evening - figers crossd for me people, really need this.
    Best of luck with your job interview:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,380 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

EileenG has kindly agreed to ban me for a few months to save me from myself!
    "kindly ban" :D it does make sense though. I did the honours just now, Eileen was on to me about it, I put down the reason so it should not appear as a black-mark on your username. We can lift the ban anytime you want. Good luck with the thesis :)

EDIT: stupid me, she can't see this, we were pm'ing anyways so she knows.
    Fingers & toes crossed boss!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Good luck meta! Is it in Limerick? If so, I'll buy ye a pint if ye get it :)

Lets forget about the job anyway! Back to been a semi broke self employed freelancer (although i do love my work so its a cross off for the time been)

My university print account is been dsabled soon (i graduated last august - but slow with things here!) so iv been copying and pasting everything on to an MS document from the healthy skeptic blog and the studies it links to to use up the money left in my account. I actually have a book with it - great to sit down and read them one after another. Refrehhes it all, amazing what you forget you read in the past.

Lets forget about the job anyway! Back to been a semi broke self employed freelancer (although i do love my work so its a cross off for the time been)
    Ah sh!te, sorry to hear that:( My mam always says 'If it is for you it won't past by you'.
    My university print account is been dsabled soon (i graduated last august - but slow with things here!) so iv been copying and pasting everything on to an MS document from the healthy skeptic blog and the studies it links to to use up the money left in my account. I actually have a book with it - great to sit down and read them one after another. Refrehhes it all, amazing what you forget you read in the past.
    Nice thinking on compiling those articles.
    What's the next book on your 'to buy' list? I finished Omnivore's Dilemna last week (recommended by yourself I think?) and have just started In Defense of Food.

Ehm just tried my first rare steak there, I cooked minute steak for 3 mins on each side in a nice hot pan with a good bit of butter. All this blood is coming out of it on the plate and really putting me off, I can't finish it. Is the blood things normal for rare steak or have I totally undercooked it? Gonna put it back in the pan for another few minutes now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Adelie

There shouldn't actually be blood but if you are talking about the red juices yes that's normal and you get used to it :) you can let it soak into your veg, mash etc. (that used to sound gross to me too)

Maybe try starting with medium, then medium-rare, then rare...

Also remember steak cooks so quickly that even leaving it 4 mins per side will make a noticeable difference.

Did you take the steak out of the fridge for a half hour or hour first? If not it was probably cold in the middle (well all over) so that increases the cooking time needed.

Secondly butter on its own wouldn't be the best thing to cook the steak in, plenty of coconut oil that is hot to the point of smoking and shimmering would be my choice. Butter can then be added for flavour and without fear of it burning.

Did you rest it? I'm usually too hungry to rest a steak but for something that is rare you probably want to rest it for a couple of minutes (not sure how long minute steak should need) so that the internal temperature can continue to go up and so some of that juice will stay inside (theoretically at least).

Why are you having a rare steak anyways out of interest? Agree with Adelie that you want to work gradually down from what you are comfortable to rare over time.

Did you take the steak out of the fridge for a half hour or hour first? If not it was probably cold in the middle (well all over) so that increases the cooking time needed.

Secondly butter on its own wouldn't be the best thing to cook the steak in, plenty of coconut oil that is hot to the point of smoking and shimmering would be my choice. Butter can then be added for flavour and without fear of it burning.

Did you rest it? I'm usually too hungry to rest a steak but for something that is rare you probably want to rest it for a couple of minutes (not sure how long minute steak should need) so that the internal temperature can continue to go up and so some of that juice will stay inside (theoretically at least).

Why are you having a rare steak anyways out of interest? Agree with Adelie that you want to work gradually down from what you are comfortable to rare over time.

Ok didn't know about leaving it out of the fridge or resting it.

I just got it in the butchers and cooked it as soon as I got in the door, I don't think it was that cold when I bought it.

He told me to cook it for 3 or 4 mins on each side and I was worried it would be all tough if I left it any longer so I left it at that.

Do you rest it in the pan on the hot hob after turning the gas off or on the plate?

I've never cooked steak before so I didn't really mean it to be rare, I'm not even sure how I like steak yet, only tasted it a few times so far! I would've thought butter was the business for cooking steak (or anything) in, I'll try the coconut next time so.

lol didn't realise you hadn't been eating steak. yeah it would still be cold from the butchers, it is a chill cabinet after all, unless you took a half hour or more to get home.

I cook aldi striploins for 4-5 minutes each side to get medium-well to well done, it is still tender at that level of cooking but not as tender as below medium obviously.

You could rest it in the pan off the gas but a warm plate with some tin foil over it might be better, make sure the tin foil is not tight on the plate or it will steam the steak.

Butter can be used to add taste but I don't think you can get butter hot enough to get a nice sear on a steak without burning the butter. You could try clarified butter/ghee but I would prefer to start with coconut oil and then add some butter, that way the butter doesn't burn. Gordon ramsey has a decent video on youtube about cooking steak.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Has anyone else noticed they have increased the Lindt 85% and 90% to €2.65 in Tesco now? :(:( Should have stocked up on more before Xmas when it was €1.60 - though on the plus side I can now semi-justify buying Vivani 85% at €3.15 a bit more often! :)

Advertisement