Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tall girls?

Options
  • 18-11-2009 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Just looking for some opinions from the gentlemen :)

I'm reasonably tall for a girl at 5'8". Wearing high heels can bring my height up to 6 foot (or more :eek: ) which has been fine in any relationship so far as any of my exes were taller than 6 foot. However as a single gal now I generally wear pumps (thats flat shoes guys!) on a night out as I feel like I end up being taller than a lot of guys otherwise and am maybe a bit intimidating.

Would guys agree, would you be less attracted/less likely to chat up a girl who is taller than you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

In, a nightclub, ya, I would find it a tad intimidating. I'm 6 foot, so I'm fairly used to being taller than most girls. The idea of going up to a girl in a nightclub who is taller than I am seems rather daunting.
    On the other hand, if it was someone I knew anyway and quite liked, the height thing wouldn't be a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

I'm 6' 2", rarely see any lady taller than myself but would not be put off by their height one bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Tefral

Im 6'1" and i went out with a girl once that was able to look me straight in the eyes.

All i can say is it was weird, i wouldnt go and "chat up" a girl that was as tall as me.

As a previous poster said if it was a fact i knew the girl and i liked her it wouldnt stand in my way, but otherwise i wouldnt bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

vitalic wrote: »

I'm reasonably tall for a girl at 5'8". Wearing high heels can bring my height up to 6 foot (or more :eek: ) which has been fine in any relationship so far as any of my exes were taller than 6 foot. However as a single gal now I generally wear pumps (thats flat shoes guys!) on a night out as I feel like I end up being taller than a lot of guys otherwise and am maybe a bit intimidating.

Would guys agree, would you be less attracted/less likely to chat up a girl who is taller than you?

Hey hun, I can relate to this only I am 5' 10" ;) and I honestly love it. I have found the only times where my height is in any way an issue is when I'm with some of the girls as majority are max at 5' 7" with only a few taller than that.

The way I view it though is I cannot do a thing about my height now, I am 5'10", some men prefer leggy women and more don't. It has never gone against me in any way though :p:D

This thread is interesting to me, so I am looking forward to hearing from more of the men out there as to their thoughts and personal preferences on heights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I'm 5'7" and my wife is 5'10" in bare feet. When we're on a night out and she's on 4" heels, she towers over nearly everyone, especially me!
    For our wedding day she wore flip-flops under her dress to make the photos look a bit more "normal".

I like petite girls, but there's something about a tall woman that seems so much more graceful and powerful at the same time.

Work with what you got, you can't get any shorter so you'll just have to wait for a man who's not intimidated.
    Don't dress for other people, dress as you're comfortable. If you feel sexy in high-heels, then wear them. You're more likely to be sexy if you're comfortable in your clothes rather than compromising for what you think other people think of you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭c0mpliant

I like tall women, but I know I'm in a firm minority. I'm 5'11 but I wouldn't be any less likely to chat a girl up if she was taller than me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

I'm about 5ft 6" in height,
    Got to say, I could dont care how tall or short a woman
    is, If she's attractive shes attractive, Height simply does not
    come into it.

What I found weird was, when I was a teenager I was
    briefly dating a Girl that was waaayyyy taller than me.
    For some reason she was somehow embarressed and uncomfortable when we were first dateing when it came to walking down the street arm in arm etc. When alone she was
    all over me, in public she behaved a bit differntly as if the height difference bothered her.

To this day decades later I could never figure out just what the hell the problem was.
    You either like someone or you dont.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I'm 5 8 (on a good day) and herself is 6 even, in bare feet. I like tall wimmenz.

Then again, I like petite wimenz as well. If your height is a issue, the guy is a knob. Your the same height in bed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

A better question might be whether you would really be interested in a man who was so insecure as to let a woman's height dictate whether or not he can chat her up!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 vitalic

-Chris- wrote: »
    Work with what you got, you can't get any shorter so you'll just have to wait for a man who's not intimidated.

Oh I do love being tall and don't have any hang-ups about it, I'm just curious about the general consensus on height!
    cronin_j wrote: »
    Im 6'1" and i went out with a girl once that was able to look me straight in the eyes.

All i can say is it was weird, i wouldnt go and "chat up" a girl that was as tall as me.

That's exactly what I'm wondering, thanks. My previous boyfriends mustn't have had a problem with it as I was wearing heels on the nights I met them but maybe they were the exceptions! I wouldn't usually be attracted to guys that are shorter than me in heels (me in heels, not them :D ) but that's interesting that you find it weird if the girl is as tall as you even if it is just the heels giving her the extra four inches.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I haven't come across any who are taller than me so it hasn't really been an issue so far. I would be more interested in taller girls usually but it's not at the top of the list for things I look for. ;)

I'm 6' 4" btw. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bangersandmash

FruitLover wrote: »
    A better question might be whether you would really be interested in a man who was so insecure as to let a woman's height dictate whether or not he can chat her up!
    Agreed. Can't see where the issues would come from unless a guy has problems with his own height.

cronin_j wrote: »
    i went out with a girl once that was able to look me straight in the eyes.

All i can say is it was weird.

Whereas I think there is a lovely physical fit, kissing someone who is the same height as you. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Tefral

That's exactly what I'm wondering, thanks. My previous boyfriends mustn't have had a problem with it as I was wearing heels on the nights I met them but maybe they were the exceptions! I wouldn't usually be attracted to guys that are shorter than me in heels (me in heels, not them :D ) but that's interesting that you find it weird if the girl is as tall as you even if it is just the heels giving her the extra four inches.

As my father used to tell me "theres an arse for every seat", Like you prefering taller guys, im sure you wouldnt rule out a smaller guy if he was nice or whatever, overall im a personality person so if the girl was a laugh i wouldnt give a crap if she was 7 foot tall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Meh, I'm 5ft 11'; not exactly much I can do about it:p

Seems to bother some men; *REALLY* bothers those with small man syndrome; but hey. Plenty of men out there who like it and like leggyness in general.

As another poster said if a person is attractive to you they are attractive to you; surely that's all that matters?

All the one when you're lying down anyway:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

The fact Ana Ivonovic is over 6' has never bothered me . . .

Now i need to work on my plan to woo a Sebian tennis diva . . ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

Hmm, I've only ever been with people about my own height or smaller. I'm 5' 8" or so but I've always preferred about the same height, it's a nice fit for kissing and such like, would be weird to have the girl leaning down to me, but I'd be willing to try it... :cool: =P

Much more important would be clicking with her and enjoying her company in general =)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 vitalic

cocoa wrote: »
    would be weird to have the girl leaning down to me

Haha ah I agree!!
    Meh, I'm 5ft 11'

supermodel :) and do you still wear heels out?

All the one when you're lying down anyway:p

Haha true true but I'm on about before getting to that stage :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

IN barefeet I'm about 1/2 an inch shorter than the boyfriend, and I like my heels (up to six inch heels) so he's used to me being taller dressed up.

Doesn't bother me or him, sometimes people gawk but that's their problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

My gf is 5'10 and I love it. When she wears heels, it looks like her legs go on forever *drools*. She goes to about 6'3 which is about the same height as me. It doesn't bother me really but I can understand why men like smaller girls. I would say they are easier to throw around but my greengiant gf is well able to be thrown around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

meh, never had a problem with taller girls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I like tall girls :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

im 5,7" and dont feel small but that would change quick if i was with a girl that was 6 foot! Small man syndrome probably but i prefer short girls anyway, :) so maybe thats just me.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I'm 5'9" and my wife is 5'1"
    I've never dated a girl who was taller than me- ever, I guess I am subconsciously not attracted to them. If I was on the dating scene (which I'm not)- I guess I might feel somehow intimidated by a girl who was towering over me.

Whether people like to admit it or not- there is a degree of an inferiority complex in many people regarding their heights. I know I'd like to be a few inches taller (and my wife would like me to be a few inches taller too!)

Hmmmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Excluding Mrs. NR, I used to always go after taller girls.

Never dated a girl the same height as me. I would not be put off but just find it different. Gotten off with a few girls same height and taller and just found it strange and something I would have to get used to. I'm 6'1" and more familiar with being the taller.

I think that as much as you can get guys with SMS, shorter guys are probably more likely to be accepting of taller girls because they are just more used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I prefer smaller girls tbh, theres something really nice about giving your missus a cuddle and having her head rest on your chest, i'm 5'8" and shes about 5'5, come to think of it I've never been with someone taller than me, same height or maybe slightly taller in heels but thats it, i like small girlies :) Theres a girl at work who's 6'2 in her bare feet, she's huge, but her husband is nearly 6'6 so its all relative i guess, they tower over everyone at every work party

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

I would not have a problem going out with a girl taller than me but almost every girl I know has a big problem going out with a guy smaller than them *shrugs*.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I have to say I am generally attracted more to small girls.

I'm 5'4 myself so pretty small and I know for a fact that girls will generally prefer guys taller than them, so that would be part of my reason.

But I also just find smaller girls more attractive, nothing shallow about it its just what I prefer, liek soem people prefer blondes etc.

That said if a girl starting chatting me up (in my dreams :P) I wouldn't dismiss her cause she was taller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I'm 6ft 4 myself and love tall women. 2 of my ex's were tall and one was the same height as me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

I wouldnt approach girls who are taller than me because I believe that a woman doesnt want to be with a man who is shorter than her.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement